New FAQs

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

New FAQs

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

GW dropped a bunch of new FAQs.

Seems like the biggest items resolved in them are being allowed to redress ranks when drilled before charging, and doing so to take you out of Marching Column to let you charg:
Q: Although it cannot make a charge move, a unit in Marching Column can declare a charge. Why is this?
A: There are several reasons. Firstly, a Drilled unit that declares a charge whilst in Marching Column can freely redress its ranks to adopt Combat Order after determining its charge range, but before moving, thus allowing it to make a charge move.
The other big one that got resolved was HE mages wearing armour:
High Elf Realms
Q: Can a Wizard with the Warden of Saphery Elven Honour purchase magic armour?
A: No.
Seems pretty clear.

There are 2 other interesting tidbits in there. Namely:
Q: If a Drilled unit in Marching Column has to declare a charge due to being Frenzied or Impetuous, can it choose not to use Drilled to redress the ranks and adopt combat order?
A: If it is able to redress the ranks (i.e., if there is space for it to do so), no. A unit that is obliged to charge must endeavour to make use of any special rules it has in order to charge. The unit just really wants to charge, and it’ll play this game without you if it has to!
So if your DP are in Marching Column, then you have to move out of it if you fail your impetuous roll.

Also, actually charge blocking those DP's has become harder:
Q: Does a unit that has to declare a charge due to being Frenzied or Impetuous have to do so if a friendly unit of Skirmishers lies between it and a potential charge target, obstructing its movement?
A: If there is a chance of the Skirmishers moving so that they are no longer an obstruction (if they declare a charge, for example), yes. Otherwise, no.
It's interesting that they only mention Skirmishers here.

Which FAQ entries stood out for everyone else?
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

Re: New FAQs

#2 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

The clarification for screening an impetuous unit with skirmishers doesn't make it harder to screen them, it clarifies that you can. Before folks were getting caught up and needlessly extrapolating from the word "may" that impetuous or frenzied units had to declare a charge if there was an intervening unit because of some convoluted Schrödinger's concept that the intervening unit could theoretically charge at any point so the impetuous/frenzied unit had to declare the charge. Now it clearly states that unless the intervening unit actually declares a charge, it does not have to declare the charge. They're probably explicitly mentioning Skirmishers since other units can see through them if you can draw a line of sight in between their models, in which case an impetuous/frenzied model can see them to declare a charge. An impetuous/frenzied unit cannot see through a unit in close/open order, so it can't declare a charge.

I'm so glad Drilled was clarified and was surprised you could use it while giving ground. This makes Swordmasters and Phoenix Guard even better. I'm going to take Drilled every time with those units.
NightHawk45

#3 Post by NightHawk45 »

It was really nice to have drilled clarified.

A couple of ones stood out to me
‘Whilst in Combat Order, a Close Order formation with a
Unit Strength of 5 or more may claim a bonus of +1 combat
result point (see page 151).’
This may be more important when fighting other units then when fighting with ours... Except for our large creatures
Q: If a Wizard has a magic item or special rule that allows
them to re-roll a failed Casting roll, can they re-roll a natural
double 1 and avoid a Miscast?
A: No. A roll of a natural double 1 isn’t merely a failed Casting roll,
it is a Miscast, as described on page 109.
in two games I had two opponents thought that my high elves rules worked differently. one thought I could reroll to avoid the miscast the other one didn't. I'm glad it's clarified, but it definitely wasn't in our favor.
Q: If one participant in a challenge causes Impact Hits or
makes Stomp Attacks, where are they directed?

A: They are directed against the other participant in the challenge.
I challenge into a tomb king chariot charge. the impact hits all missed, but none of them were directed at the challenger (which should have happened).
Q: If a unit of Skirmishers succumbs to Stupidity, in which
direction do they move?

A: They should continue moving in the general direction they
moved the previous turn or, if they did not move in the previous
turn, towards the nearest enemy unit.
My sisters failed a stupidly check and we had no idea how to play it. Now I know!
The Peacemaker

#4 Post by The Peacemaker »

The fact that other armies Dragons got nerfed while HE dragons stay just as powerful is pretty funny.
Nerfing bedazling helm but not Dragon helm is hillarious. ...would have been super funny/weird if the Dragon Rider can't wear the Dragon Helm though.

I'll probably be shelving my Empire because of this update and get to work on my high elves.

----------

I like the clarification to drilled as well.

I don't like the ruling on stacking the Fly rule when the main rules clearly allow it. And it's not like it's overpowered to give a flyer extra move when an infantry unit can go in march formation with a fly spell 36", then used drilled to reform and charge next turn.
This just looks like the rules guy panic.
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

I was very glad to see my question about skirmisher stupidity got answered. That one actually felt like it wasn't really in the rules given how fringe it was.

The problem with the Bedazzling helm was really the -1 to hit more than the armor so the dragon helm isn't quite on par with it. :)
bkevs84

#6 Post by bkevs84 »

The Caledor honour plus Beddazzeled Helm meant nearly everything hit you on 5s or 6s which was hilarious and fun, and dirty, the only down side was no 5++5+++ with it. Lance and shield and it was a 2+

As Morgen pointed out the Dragonhelm is not on the same level, the Armour pip and a ward vs fire is not as powerful as -1 to hit.
Minion X

#7 Post by Minion X »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:27 pm Before folks were getting caught up and needlessly extrapolating from the word "may" that impetuous or frenzied units had to declare a charge if there was an intervening unit because of some convoluted Schrödinger's concept that the intervening unit could theoretically charge at any point so the impetuous/frenzied unit had to declare the charge.
Some still argue for this. Maybe GW accidentally put something in the plastic and it is rubbing off.
Minion X

#8 Post by Minion X »

Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm The other big one that got resolved was HE mages wearing armour:
High Elf Realms
Seems pretty clear.
However, they doubled down on any normal armour = any magic armour since they added the same rule that was previously used for Armour of Tarnus and Warding Splint to Warpstone Armour so Skaven wizards can actually use it. So mages/archmages can purchase magic armour since they can purchase the Barded Elven Steed mount, and they can even use spells while wearing it while riding said mount since it comes with the Ithilmar Barding rule. Warden of Saphery negates this since it prevents mages/archmages from purchasing a mount, which is their only access to any kind of normal armour.
Csjarrat

#9 Post by Csjarrat »

Minion X wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:03 am
Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm The other big one that got resolved was HE mages wearing armour:
High Elf Realms
Seems pretty clear.
However, they doubled down on any normal armour = any magic armour since they added the same rule that was previously used for Armour of Tarnus and Warding Splint to Warpstone Armour so Skaven wizards can actually use it. So mages/archmages can purchase magic armour since they can purchase the Barded Elven Steed mount, and they can even use spells while wearing it while riding said mount since it comes with the Ithilmar Barding rule. Warden of Saphery negates this since it prevents mages/archmages from purchasing a mount, which is their only access to any kind of normal armour.
I wouldn't get too attached to that line of thought. I can imagine it'll cause all sorts of arguments
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
NHB

#10 Post by NHB »

Csjarrat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:42 am
Minion X wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:03 am

Seems pretty clear.
I wouldn't get too attached to that line of thought. I can imagine it'll cause all sorts of arguments
+1
Yeah. Buying barding is not the same as buying armour. I don't understand why GW are adding all these "Mage Armour" type rules in all types of armies, and then double back on mages actually taking magical armour. Really weird.
Halinn

#11 Post by Halinn »

NHB wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:48 am I don't understand why GW are adding all these "Mage Armour" type rules in all types of armies, and then double back on mages actually taking magical armour. Really weird.
Mages being capable fighters = cool fantasy
Mages being as good at fighting as non-mages (or better!) = really bad game balance
NHB

#12 Post by NHB »

Halinn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:06 pm
NHB wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:48 am I don't understand why GW are adding all these "Mage Armour" type rules in all types of armies, and then double back on mages actually taking magical armour. Really weird.
Mages being capable fighters = cool fantasy
Mages being as good at fighting as non-mages (or better!) = really bad game balance
Yeah I get that.

Well, for High Elves at least the AM has -3WS, -3BS, -1S, -1I, -2A, -2LD
compared to the Prince. And also can't take any mundane weapons, except if granted by an honour, and still can't take a shield.
So I wouldn't call that good at fighting.

Still if we want a difficult to kill Wizard I guess this works:
Archmage [278pts]: Hand Weapon, High Magic, Wizard Level 4, Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Full Plate Armour, Dragon Helm, Seed of Rebirth, Talisman Of Protection, Blood of Caledor

2+ / 5++ / 5+++ and still 40pts left for Silvery Wand or Lore Familiar etc. comes with Impetuous though.
NHB

#13 Post by NHB »

Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm
Also, actually charge blocking those DP's has become harder:
Q: Does a unit that has to declare a charge due to being Frenzied or Impetuous have to do so if a friendly unit of Skirmishers lies between it and a potential charge target, obstructing its movement?
A: If there is a chance of the Skirmishers moving so that they are no longer an obstruction (if they declare a charge, for example), yes. Otherwise, no.
It's interesting that they only mention Skirmishers here.

Which FAQ entries stood out for everyone else?
Also, if you are charge screening 5-9 DPs in a single rank with just an Eagle or a chariot, you have to be quite precise with the placement - as the FAQ suggests that you need to use drilled to go 3 wide, if that means you can squeeze past. Or even 2x2 if one of your 5 DP got shot off the table.
Halinn

#14 Post by Halinn »

NHB wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:40 am Yeah I get that.

Well, for High Elves at least the AM has -3WS, -3BS, -1S, -1I, -2A, -2LD
compared to the Prince. And also can't take any mundane weapons, except if granted by an honour, and still can't take a shield.
So I wouldn't call that good at fighting.

Still if we want a difficult to kill Wizard I guess this works:
Archmage [278pts]: Hand Weapon, High Magic, Wizard Level 4, Barded Elven Steed, Barding, Hand Weapon, Full Plate Armour, Dragon Helm, Seed of Rebirth, Talisman Of Protection, Blood of Caledor

2+ / 5++ / 5+++ and still 40pts left for Silvery Wand or Lore Familiar etc. comes with Impetuous though.
The issues I think mostly come in with Illusion magic. Casting a spell for 2d6 hits with whatever weapon the mage is using is why they had to worry about fighting mages