1500 First-time Player Looking for Feedback

Place to discuss army list
digitalclockwork

1500 First-time Player Looking for Feedback

#1 Post by digitalclockwork »

Hi all. As the title says, I'm a first-time player -- well, technically second, but my first game was just a learning game played with a 500-point army my friend slapped together for me, so this is my first time making a list on my own. I'd really appreciate any feedback y'all can provide to help tighten things up a bit, as I honestly have no idea what I'm doing; I just know I like Swordmasters, so here we are. For what it's worth, the friend I'm playing with is playing Greenskins. Anyway, thanks in advance for the feedback!

++ Characters [316 pts] ++
Archmage [215 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 4 Wizard, General, On foot, Talisman of Protection, Pure of Heart, High Magic)

Noble [101 pts]
(Hand weapon, Full plate armour, Battle Standard Bearer, On foot)

++ Core Units [377 pts] ++
20 Lothern Sea Guard [277 pts]
(Hand weapons, Thrusting spears, Warbows, Light armour, Shields, Veteran, Sea Master (champion), Standard bearer, Musician)

10 Elven Archers [100 pts]
(Hand weapons, Longbows, No armour)

++ Special Units [587 pts] ++
13 Swordmasters of Hoeth [195 pts]
(Sword of Hoeth, Heavy armour, Drilled)

15 Phoenix Guard [276 pts]
(Ceremonial Halberds, Full plate armour, Drilled, Keeper of the Flame, Standard bearer, Musician)

7 White Lions of Chrace [116 pts]
(Chracian Great Blades, Heavy armour, Guardian, Standard bearer, Musician)

++ Rare Units [220 pts] ++
Eagle-Claw Bolt Thrower [80 pts]

Great Eagle [60 pts]

Eagle-Claw Bolt Thrower [80 pts]

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]
Bolt Thrower

Re: 1500 First-time Player Looking for Feedback

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

My two bits would be to take a look at your core and see if maybe some reavers or silver helms can be added. Reavers could be a good option as they can be given scout which would allow an option in deployment to hunt war machines. Taking those out to protect your infantry as they slog across the field would be beneficial.

Secondly, I think I would drop the $ white lions unit and a bolt thrower to fit in a unit of sisters of avelorn. They can be an effective mage bunker as well as a great shooting unit.

Good luck!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Morgen

#3 Post by Morgen »

I think that looks like a nice list to start out with as you're getting experience. It's good to figure out the special choice infantry when your starting out. Sword masters are really fun. XD
digitalclockwork

#4 Post by digitalclockwork »

Thank you both! I was on the fence about whether the Lions and the second Bolt Thrower were worth it, but I wasn't sure what would be good to take in their place, so I'll definitely take that advice.
unseenlurker

#5 Post by unseenlurker »

Just a quick note: your list is illegal, as the archmage cannot be the general. The general has to be the one with the highest leadership value, which in this case is the noble you have chosen as a BSB.
Morgen

#6 Post by Morgen »

Actually there's an explicit rule for the Battle Standard Bearer on page 203 of the Big Blue Book that the BSB can't be your general, so it'd default to the Archmage.
unseenlurker

#7 Post by unseenlurker »

Morgen wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:11 am Actually there's an explicit rule for the Battle Standard Bearer on page 203 of the Big Blue Book that the BSB can't be your general, so it'd default to the Archmage.
Interesting... I've never seen that take on the rules regarding the general and BSB. Based on the rules for the selection of the general, I believe these rules contradict each other, so the question is which rule "wins"

The General is the character in your army with the highest Leadership. If more than one character shares the highest Leadership value, you may choose which one is the General when writing your muster list. You must tell your opponent which model is your General before deploying your army.
Note that a character with the Loner special rule cannot be your General.
NHB

#8 Post by NHB »

It is quite simple really.

and, unless specified otherwise, the model that carries the Battle Standard cannot be the General.

This rule beats the "highest Leadership" Rule.

And this rule beats the above rule for Lizardmen specificially:

A Slann Mage-Priest may be both your army’s Battle Standard Bearer and its General.
unseenlurker

#9 Post by unseenlurker »

I stand corrected. Thank you for your input, both of you! I suspect this will change a few of my lists for smaller points games
Halinn

#10 Post by Halinn »

And Pure of Heart is quite nice for the BSB when you have an AM general, since you still get to use the Noble's leadership. Put them on a Griffon if you want the extra range