1999 pts Dodo's list - please critique

Place to discuss army list
Dodoroq

1999 pts Dodo's list - please critique

#1 Post by Dodoroq »

Our local format (so far) seems to be 1999 points, though I have not been playing yet. Anyway both announced tournaments are set to 1999 pts.

Point is to have a fast list with multiple threats that is in opponent turn2 if possible. I was considering Dragon archmage list but it eats too much points and I do not want the archmage to be in combat, so changed it to steed-mounted one. Instead I am taking a Phoenix.
Archmage is supposed to go with reavers and keep around the center of the field while being ethereal, BSB and Handmaiden (general) into Sisters to create a deathstar. Should be producing a lot of shots with some decent AP, eventually (that is while rolling some 6's on to wound). Both BSB and general are squishy as hell though.
Princes is just "one of several units that are charging on me" so impetuous may not be that much of a problem (and they may not be such a big magnet). Swordmasters should be able to get close fairly safely in marching column and other targets around and then try for flanks.

===
Dodo's list [1997 pts]
Warhammer: The Old World, High Elf Realms
===

++ Characters [602 pts] ++

Archmage [279 pts]
- Hand weapon
- Upgrade to Level 4
- Elven Steed
- Lore Familiar
- Seed of Rebirth
- Talisman of Protection
- Pure of Heart
- High Magic

Noble [203 pts]
- Hand weapon
- Full plate armour
- Shield
- Battle Standard Bearer
- Razor Standard
- On foot
- Dragon Helm
- Reaver Bow
- Warden of Saphery

Handmaiden of the Everqueen [120 pts]
- Handmaiden's Spear
- Light armour
- Horn of Isha
- Ruby Ring of Ruin

++ Core Units [517 pts] ++

20 Sisters of Avelorn [327 pts]
- Bows of Avelorn
- Light armour
- Stubborn (0-1 unit)
- High Sister

5 Ellyrian Reavers [95 pts]
- Hand weapons
- Cavalry spears
- Hooves (counts as a hand weapon)
- Light armour
- Shortbows
- Skirmishes

5 Ellyrian Reavers [95 pts]
- Hand weapons
- Cavalry spears
- Hooves (counts as a hand weapon)
- Light armour
- Shortbows
- Skirmishes

++ Special Units [428 pts] ++

7 Swordmasters of Hoeth [111 pts]
- Sword of Hoeth
- Heavy armour
- Drilled
- Bladelord

7 Swordmasters of Hoeth [111 pts]
- Sword of Hoeth
- Heavy armour
- Drilled
- Bladelord

5 Dragon Princes [206 pts]
- Lance
- Full plate armour
- Shield
- Barding
- Drakemaster
- Standard bearer
- Musician

++ Rare Units [450 pts] ++

Great Eagle [60 pts]

Great Eagle [60 pts]

Frostheart Phoenix [205 pts]
- Full plate armour

Lion Chariot of Chrace [125 pts]
- Chracian Great Blade

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

There is still some space to play - would not include both spears and bows on reavers and probably do not need that sisters stubborn that much, but definitely need 500 points so had to ramp up the price a bit.

Where it is lacking?

I hope I will be able to playtest it soon.
Csjarrat

Re: 1999 pts Dodo's list - please critique

#2 Post by Csjarrat »

What's that BSB achieving for you? You haven't really got any combat blocks that are gonna engage and expect to stick around for more than a round, everything else is small, hitty stuff. I'd ditch the BSB and spend those points on another infantry or cavalry block myself, or mount him on the frosty to give it some more punch
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Dodoroq

#3 Post by Dodoroq »

He is supposed to stay with Sisters, where the banner provides AP-4 on 6s to wound. Also should serve as a protection of the sisters block from stray units that can get to them - they can get an eagle or similar just fine on their own, but stronger units... I guess not so much.
Csjarrat

#4 Post by Csjarrat »

It's 203 points though, that's another block of dragon princes or swordmasters. Or another small swordmasters unit and a lvl2 mage just think he's a massive investment in a skirmishing army really as the sisters already have decent ap from bows of averlon and arrows of Isha rules
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

My question is what do you want from the sisters unit? It’s the largest block which indicates you will want it in combat at some point. If that is the case I can understand the razor standard as it will give a little extra bite to them in combat as well.

That said the unit being the largest and housing your general and BSB could have a huge target on its back. I wonder if dropping the razor standard and maneuvering things to get the banner of arcane protection instead would be better?

Some suggestions on opening the points for that banner:

Remove the shield from noble—he will be using his sword of hoeth anyway.
Remove stubborn from sisters.
Add a champion to a reaver unit to get core up to points
Remove standard and musician from dragon princes—you want these guys in and out fast so hopefully they won’t be needing combat res from a standard.

If my quick math is correct that should net you 28 points. That with the 2 points you have from starting at only 1997 should get you the 30 needed to upgrade the banner to arcane protection.

I think ensuring the safety of that block will be worth it.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Dodoroq

#6 Post by Dodoroq »

Thanks for feedback. You are all right that it is a lot of points sitting relatively back (usually I would be progressing forward in the middle with the main unit so not that much back, but still far slower then the rest of the army) - 650 points in sisters and two characters.

Was considering options but really do not know exactly what to do with that - my options are fairly limited. Want archmage = can't have prince at 1999. Want sisters in core = general must be handmaiden. Want noble as third, fighty character = it must be BSB.
Will have to re-read "magic phase" sequence regarding dispelling carefully, was considering using drain magic + lvl4 dispeller and haven't thought about the arcane protection banner. What I have considered were Obsidian Lodestone(s) on the champion in Sisters.

Keep them coming, please.