The End Times Fluff Discussion [May contain spoilers]

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

John Rainbow

The End Times Fluff Discussion [May contain spoilers]

#1 Post by John Rainbow »

Now that everyone has (hopefully) had time to digest the new End Times fluff, what are people's thoughts about the fluff and things that have happened?

Personally I am loving the whole idea that Teclis/Malekith (or some other evil character who is Teclis' uncle) are responsible for a large part of the return of Nagash and subverting it. I am also intrigued to find out whether Tyrion/Teclis make it through the campaign. Teclis is becoming some sort of master manipulator but in allowing Tyrion's daughter to die (probably a good thing for the Elf race as a whole as her as Everqueen would be bad) is it going to lead Tyrion to try to kill him when he finds out? And you know he's either going to find out or die before he gets the chance. Will Tyrion draw the Widowmaker in the process?

I guess all this is Elf-related but we can move onto some other topics later. Like...
1. Where did Araloth go?
2. What is Settra going to do? Will he become the Khemrian King with the Fellblade Mk.2?
3. Are several of the other 'dead' characters actually dead for real?
HERO

Re: The End Times Fluff Discussion [May contain spoilers]

#2 Post by HERO »

1. No idea
2. Yes, he's going to be MK2. Although there's strong indications that the Chaos Gods now control him?
3. I think they're dead for real.

What I think will happen:
Archeon is coming and all the good forces are rallied to oppose him and Nagash. There's a giant 3-way going on in the Old World with the forces of Nagash and Chaos being the big players, and the Forces of Order just being caught in the vice. Morathi will try to usurp power from Malekith with the help of the Cult of Slaanesh. Malekith will then be forced to put her down. Archaeon will be defeated by the Forces of Order through extreme sacrifices like Tyrion drawing the Widowmaker, Nagash will get slain by Settra, Skaven is running amok in Lizardtown and all the Lizzies are busy fighting that. Tyrion goes berserk, slays the unholy pantheon that Archaeon has with him (4 GDs from Chaos just like his Anaerion), but in a crazy unforseen fit of rage, kills Teclis after finding out that he has been manipulated this entire time. Then he goes off, puts the Widowmaker back, and then seppekus on the Isle.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
vespacian1

#3 Post by vespacian1 »

1. No solid idea, but some conjecture: It's noted that araloth is favored by lileath, and he's seen having a non disclosed conversation with a god(or at least someone who can speak to him telepathically and he ignores his instructed mission to follow that being's orders). With the assumption that he is off doing Lileath's whim I'm guessing that he is off to get involved in some way with the high elves/dark elves. It brings to mind a rumor that there would be some meeting of all three types of elves on the blighted isle.
2. I'm guessing that Settra is the chaos gods version of alcadizzar with fell blade. Not sure what form that will take, maybe it's the blade of eternities or some other equally powerful weapon. One way or the other, Settra will play some major part in Nagash's final downfall(if indeed he does fall).
3. I think this is a sliding scale. Some you see their dead body, or they are killed in some pretty irreversible way(sort of like following the George RR Martin rule, if they're not beheaded they're not dead). Others seem a little questionable, for instance Louencour there is a reference to his body disappearing, or Kemmler where he has a building collapse on him. Building collapses aren't nearly as deadly as they would seem to be.

The key pieces of fluff in my opinion(as pertain specifically to the elves) are:
-when the dragons fly as one
-when the mirror of light and dark is shattered
-ancient lie will be revealed
-two elves, one light, one dark dueling over a field of skulls while great forces surround them
-what's going on with Finubar(Teclis comes out paler than usual from the PK's sanctum)
-Teclis/Malekith's apparent alliance
-Alarielle trying to heal Oak of Ages/Ariel
-What will Tyrion do when he finds out what Teclis did to Aliara

My take is that they carefully set up the opportunity for Imrik to fly in and save the day backed by the entire dragon population at some key juncture. This is shown by his careful protection of the realm while TT&Friends are off, then his oath to only defend Caledor and the cryptic message above of dragons flying as one. Only a descendant of caledor could do that.
I'm thinking that through some series of events Tyrion/Teclis/Malekith all die either through betrayal or sacrifice or the widow maker or some combination of the 3.
Imrik is then the savior and either leads the elves away from a sinking ulthuan, or takes over the remnants of the elven nations.
Beyond that it seems likely that if they plan to bend the world but not break it. Meaning that Nagash/Archaon bounce off each other, die by some heroic actions of the remaining heroes but not before most of the Empire/Brettonia/Ulthuan are almost completely destroyed.
The new order is the elves move to the old world in some sort of uneasy alliance centered around Athel Loren/Southern Brettonia and the forces of order try to rebuild while there are roving bands of chaos/undead/orcs rummaging around having a grand ol' time.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I actually think it will get set up slightly differently with Nagash being backed by everyone to oppose Chaos. Basically all of the non-Chaos races (including Nagash) know that they can only beat them back together and will unite to fight the Chaos Gods. Then, in the aftermath, they all try to enact their plans to kill each other off. I'm assuming Nagash will eventually die or ascend to some sort of weird god-hood where he is no longer involved in day-day world events in order to get him out of the picture.

As for the lie on which Elf-dom is built. Maybe Khaine is actually Khorne and such? i.e. part of the Elven pantheon are actually Chaos Gods and have been all along? I'm also thinking that Morathi has been a Chaos worshipper all along and that this will come out too.
HERO

#5 Post by HERO »

I'm guessing that Settra is the chaos gods version of alcadizzar with fell blade. Not sure what form that will take, maybe it's the blade of eternities or some other equally powerful weapon. One way or the other, Settra will play some major part in Nagash's final downfall(if indeed he does fall).
Absolutely. Basically, Chaos gives Settra another chance at Nagash but is now serving as a Chaos agent. Settra kills Nagash, Old World Allies beat Chaos, in that order.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

HERO wrote:Absolutely. Basically, Chaos gives Settra another chance at Nagash but is now serving as a Chaos agent. Settra kills Nagash, Old World Allies beat Chaos, in that order.
I'm going for Nagash + Old World Allies beat Chaos, then Nagash dies.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Having read only the spoilers I don't have all the details but somehow I have a feeling that this great lie is going to surprise everybody because it is not going to be something "obvious" like Malekith being the rightful phoenix king for example. It is just a hunch but I simply think that we should expect unexpected :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Oloh

#8 Post by Oloh »

From the introduction flavor text:

"In a land of mist, the danger is closer still."
Ulthuan getting invaded by the forces of Chaos, obviously.

"Pride has ever been the folly of that shrouded land, and so it will be again."
Tyrion being too consumed by his daughter, saying that Aliathra is the only hope for the elven race. Teclis disagrees and allows Aliathra to be scarified to spawn a Nagash that has been weakened enough to deal with. Tyrion's pride will be the downfall. Teclis knows what it means to Tyrion so asks for his apologies in advance, without alerting Tyrion to his plan.

"When the dragons fly as one"
When the Dark Elves, Wood Elves and High Elves work together. Teclis conversation with the unknown evil person was obviously intended to be Malekith (he called him nephew), so Teclis and Malekith are in league. The EverQueen's sacrifice to the Wood Elves oak tree shows the Wood Elves added into the mix. Right now, all three elves are working together.

", an ancient lie will at last be exposed."
The first Tyrion + EverQueen = Aliathra = ancient lie. Teclis found out about her ancestry when he visited Finubar's sanctum, that is why he came out pale. He knew what was happening and, more discomforting, what must be done. Very few people knew, including Nagash's crew, that Aliathra did not have Finubar's blood in her veins, and so the ritual to raise him did not go flawlessly and Nagash inherited Aenarion's Curse by sacrificing Aliathra.

", a revelation that will shake Ulthuan to the roots of its mountains"
Tyrion and Teclis are the mountains of Ulthuan. Teclis' decision to sacrifice Aliathra without telling Tyrion will shake Ulthuan to its very core. Tyrion has assumed the responsibilities of the leader of the Asur, but Teclis is pulling the strings behind him, including working with the Dark Elves. if that is not a shake up for Ulthuan, I am not sure what is.

"The mirror of light and dark will shatter"
Alliance between the dark elves and the high elves will be formed.

"and Aenarion's heirs will fight for the legacy of Khaine amidst the ashes of the phoenix."
This is a deliberate red herring. "Aenarion's heirs" is intended to mislead one to thinking of Malekith, but in reality it means Tyrion and Teclis.

And finally from the dream:

"two elves, one light, one dark dueling over a field of skulls while great forces surround them"

I think this is also intended to mislead into thinking Malekith, but I think its going to be Tyrion (dark) and Teclis (light).
John Rainbow

#9 Post by John Rainbow »

Oloh wrote:"two elves, one light, one dark dueling over a field of skulls while great forces surround them"

I think this is also intended to mislead into thinking Malekith, but I think its going to be Tyrion (dark) and Teclis (light).
A novel take on the text. I like it!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#10 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

+1, very good idea and I think much more dramatic

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
vespacian1

#11 Post by vespacian1 »

", an ancient lie will at last be exposed."
The first Tyrion + EverQueen = Aliathra = ancient lie. Teclis found out about her ancestry when he visited Finubar's sanctum, that is why he came out pale. He knew what was happening and, more discomforting, what must be done. Very few people knew, including Nagash's crew, that Aliathra did not have Finubar's blood in her veins, and so the ritual to raise him did not go flawlessly and Nagash inherited Aenarion's Curse by sacrificing Aliathra.
I for one don't think this is an "ancient" enough lie to qualify as shaking Ulthuan to the roots of its mountains.

It is more probably the crossover of pantheon's i.e. Khaine/Khorne or something dating back to Aenerion/Caledor/Vortex creation imo.

I can definitely see Teclis having to battle with a sword of khaine wielding Tyrion. In fact, maybe that's the ancient lie, that Aenerion is not the hero of legend but actually gave into the Sword of Khaine and Caledor had to put him down.

I don't know, just brainstorming…
DarkWingDuck

#12 Post by DarkWingDuck »

Having just finished painting Drycha ... any one have any speculation on what the heck she's doing? Kidnapping Morgana Le Fey and handing her over to Mannfred feels a wee bit out of character. She's a hateful spiteful creature ... but she's also all about nature first (and Morgana is the daughter of a nature diety).

The only things I can think of is perhaps it leads to the rotting of the Oak of Ages (the description of how it is now maggot filled and dying is similar to the description of the trees of Sylvania ... death magic maybe?!?!?). Coedill (her "boss") doesn't have much love for Ariel. Also during Tetoeko's (sp?) foretelling, he describes human villages overrun by vines and twisted trees. That could be Beastmen taking over and the land reverting to a more primitive nature ... or it could be the Wildwood breaking free and running rampant over Bretonnia/The Empire. Maybe whatever she traded Morgana for will allow that to happen?!?!? That sounds like something she might want.-Or- they might never explain it and I'll forever wonder why...
John Rainbow

#13 Post by John Rainbow »

vespacian1 wrote:I can definitely see Teclis having to battle with a sword of khaine wielding Tyrion. In fact, maybe that's the ancient lie, that Aenerion is not the hero of legend but actually gave into the Sword of Khaine and Caledor had to put him down.
Cool idea and more in fitting with the 'ancient' ness of the ancient lie.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:
Oloh wrote:"two elves, one light, one dark dueling over a field of skulls while great forces surround them"

A novel take on the text. I like it!
I hate to say this, but for current gw that's honestly the MORE predictable scenario. I'd be shocked if it's anything else.
Having just finished painting Drycha ... any one have any speculation on what the heck she's doing? Kidnapping Morgana Le Fey and handing her over to Mannfred feels a wee bit out of character. She's a hateful spiteful creature ... but she's also all about nature first (and Morgana is the daughter of a nature diety).
It's a very odd one to me as well. And if they don't explain it it's going to seem rather lazy/dumb.
Sea_Dragon

#15 Post by Sea_Dragon »

I have personally been enjoying the ride so far and am excited to see where it all goes.

I was wondering which special character would HAVE to be bumped off for an alliance between the Dark and High elves to happen. I think its fair to say that all the HE special characters have had run ins with the Druchii at some point but its fun to think about where the story will go.

In the oldy fluff (5th ed maybe?) didn't Belannaer act as spymaster of dark elves and cultist activity. I couldnt see the Loremaster allowing such a thing to happen. Similarly with Eltharion, didnt he lead a successful attack on Naggarond? If Malekith does become the Pheonix King (even briefly), he definitely would have something to say about it. Although it is a shame that we didnt get a dual between the two ending in Eltharion becoming blinded.

What Alith Anar does will be interesting. I guess he could just continue his gorilla war and potentially survive. Imrik will be a fun one as well. I have a gut feeling that when the dust settles Imrik might be sitting on the Pheonix Throne (or Dragon Throne).

I also wonder if we will see a fleshed out Selafyn of the Annulii. Or if the exiled Asarnil will make a return.
Cothique Captain
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#16 Post by Domine Nox »

Sea_Dragon wrote:I was wondering which special character would HAVE to be bumped off for an alliance between the Dark and High elves to happen.
Realistically? Every single one of them that is a member of society. It's not a small group that is keeping the races at odds. The entire races on both sides spend their whole lives being taught how bad the others are. High Elves are brought up with the fear of Malekith and the Dark Elves coming and killing everyone they know, or turning them into slaves. Dark Elves forever hold their resentment of the Sundering and feel that all races including the High Elves are inferior to them.

It's why I stand by that if GW puts Dark Elves and High Elves together, it will be a sad day for the story of Warhammer. I'd more find it more likely that Humans and Orks would work together than High Elves and Dark Elves.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Optimistic

#17 Post by Optimistic »

Sea_Dragon wrote:I have personally been enjoying the ride so far and am excited to see where it all goes.

I was wondering which special character would HAVE to be bumped off for an alliance between the Dark and High elves to happen. I think its fair to say that all the HE special characters have had run ins with the Druchii at some point but its fun to think about where the story will go.

In the oldy fluff (5th ed maybe?) didn't Belannaer act as spymaster of dark elves and cultist activity. I couldnt see the Loremaster allowing such a thing to happen. Similarly with Eltharion, didnt he lead a successful attack on Naggarond? If Malekith does become the Pheonix King (even briefly), he definitely would have something to say about it. Although it is a shame that we didnt get a dual between the two ending in Eltharion becoming blinded.

What Alith Anar does will be interesting. I guess he could just continue his gorilla war and potentially survive. Imrik will be a fun one as well. I have a gut feeling that when the dust settles Imrik might be sitting on the Pheonix Throne (or Dragon Throne).

I also wonder if we will see a fleshed out Selafyn of the Annulii. Or if the exiled Asarnil will make a return.
Both Belannaer and Eltharion are dead in the new End Time's fluff, killed off in an attempt to save the Everqueens daughter (daughter with Tyrion as it turns out).

I think GW is simply going to white wash it, oh the end of the world is at hand and you know how the old adage goes, the enemy of my enemy. They're apparently developing fluff where Teclis is working with an unknown entity in the void and it was Teclis who masterminded the return of Nagash apparently
John Rainbow

#18 Post by John Rainbow »

Optimistic wrote:They're apparently developing fluff where Teclis is working with an unknown entity in the void and it was Teclis who masterminded the return of Nagash apparently
Teclis is working with someone who calls him 'nephew' and threatens to flay him if he betrays him. It seems that he and Malekith are behind a lot of the goings on in the End Times as this is the logical person it would be. We also know for sure that Teclis allowed Aliathra to die to poison Nagash's new incaranation and it is strongly implied that Teclis/Malekith are behind whatever happened to Finubar.
Findolfin

#19 Post by Findolfin »

I could indeed see the ancient lie being revealed as Khaine being in fact Khorne.

Malekith despite all his evil deeds would never serve Chaos, he always fought them or tried to use them. Such a revelation amidst Chaos forces assaulting both Ulthuan and Naggaroth ( via Morathi’s treachery ) could very well change everything the Dark elves stand for. Add in despair and the imminent destruction of the elven race as a whole, it might indeed lead to an elven alliance as dark elves abandon their false god ( and probably Naggaroth in the process ), thus shattering the mirror of light and dark.

Seeing as Malekith also resisted the sword of khaine, Maybe in the end Tyrion draws it and becomes dark while Malekith in an act of redemption for himself and his people becomes light, fighting Tyrion and both ultimately dying as Malekith use his last strength to put the weapon back in it’s Altar.
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."
draxynnic

#20 Post by draxynnic »

I kinda doubt it myself. It was something I used to think, but 40K fluff has kept Khaine and Khorne distinct, and the trend has been to make fantasy fluff closer to rather than further away from 40K. Since the waystone network has been made to be essentially like the Exodite infinity circuit, I expect it will turn out to be that the ancient lie is that the Elven pantheon is actually alive and intact rather than having been consumed by Slaanesh, with the occasional semi-mortal Avatar and place of power being the only remaining vestiges of the Elven gods. After all, if the Elven gods had been able to stand up to the Chaos gods, the Elves wouldn't need their infinity circuit equivalent.

It would also fit in with the 'ashes of the phoenix' line if it turns out that Asuryan is actually dead, and the flame in the Phoenix Shrine is actually his remains in the mortal world - the proverbial ashes.
Jaith

#21 Post by Jaith »

Tyrion is a spitting image of Aenerion. In the past, it has even been mentioned that Morathai has the hots for Tyrion. Morathai and Tyrion are going to start boning. Morathai will corrupt Tyrion with chaos, and convince him to kill Teclis. Tyrion kills Teclis and Malekith (assuming Teclis didn't kill him already). Aenerion returns from exile to battle Tyrion, for the ultimate light-vs-dark, elf-on-elf, pwnage battle.
Lord Anathir

#22 Post by Lord Anathir »

no
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
FVC

#23 Post by FVC »

John Rainbow wrote:I'm going for Nagash + Old World Allies beat Chaos, then Nagash dies.
Nagash already had his book. Given that the undead won everything in their End Times book, and we have Chaos next, well, we ought to have a big run of victories for Chaos, and then the mortal races get to claw their way back and triumph in the third one. It's how trilogies work. ;)

So I'd guess that the next book is Chaos beating Nagash and brutalising the other factions. Settra kills Nagash, but knowing Settra probably rebels against being controlled afterwards and is squished by Chaos. Archaon ravages the Empire, which survives only as a rump state in the south thanks to dwarf and perhaps Bretonnian aid. Some of the speculations about Tyrion and the Dark Elves would fit in well here: the bulk of the Dark Elf people fall into either Khorne worship (for let's be honest about Khaine) or Slaanesh worship (via Morathi), while Malekith and a small group of loyalists reconnect with Ulthuan. Tyrion may well be corrupted, but I wouldn't put money on that.

Basic rule of narrative. Evil always wins in the middle.

And after that, with any luck, we get to fix what's left and perhaps have a Conclave of Light book.

Or maybe the orcs and goblins will get something. Heaven knows they deserve something.
draxynnic

#24 Post by draxynnic »

As I've said previously, I used to think Khaine = Khorne too.

But despite the naming similarity, the indications from the fluff are that they aren't actually the same:

* In 40K, Khaine is shattered by Slaanesh, his only remains being the avatars in the Craftworlds. Clearly, if Khaine and Khorne were the same being, this wouldn't be possible (although I have come across indications that Khaine survived partly because Khorne intervened, similar to how Isha survived because Nurgle intervened). While this is 40K fluff, given that the current edition has been moving fantasy fluff closer to 40K, I don't think they're going to make the break here.

* According to the Liber Chaotica, the Elves have a different relationship with the Realm of Chaos that, with the exception of Slaanesh, allowed them to create their own gods rather than feeding the Chaos Gods, even in areas where portfolios overlap (while Khaine-Khorne is the obvious one, there are others, such as Hoeth and Tzeentch both being gods of knowledge and magic). Fluff from WFRP also quite clearly demarcates Khaine as being separate from Khorne.

* While both are bloodthirsty war-gods, Khaine has a different personality to Khorne. Khorne is essentially a manifestation of what a barbarian tribe regards as honourable warfare - the strong fighting the strong and lording it over the weak, with anything that allows a 'weakling' to gain an advantage over the archetypical Conan type (such as magic or subterfuge) being disdained or outright hated by Khorne. Khaine, on the other hand, is more of a personification of warfare as the Dark Elves see it - sorcery, assassination, it's all good if it kills your enemies.

What I suspect may have kept them distinct is that Khorne was probably formed from the very first conflicts between primitive tribes, and has grown from there as those tribes advanced... but while he's adapted to new technologies of war, his overall personality was shaped by the attitudes of the warriors of the most primitive tribes. Meanwhile, those races that were civilised by the Old Ones achieved civilisation before they knew war - thus granting them a sufficiently different attitude to war that they created their own war gods rather than simply feeding Khorne.

(The Teutogen war god Ulric is also one that appears to be distinct from Khorne - what I suspect happened there is that he started as a god of winter, and gained the war aspect after he had already formed as a seperate entity to Khorne.)

Given that the fluff has been moving towards 40K and Fantasy being more similar, I really think the Great Lie is going to turn out to be that the fantasy elven pantheon got eaten by Slaanesh just as the 40K eldar pantheon was, possibly as the same event. There are already quite a few hints pointing to that direction - Asur and Asrai having fantasy equivalents of the Exodite world-spirit because elven souls otherwise get eaten by Slaanesh, and the process of resurrecting Orion in the new Wood Elf book sounds to me uncannily like the process of awakening an Avatar of Khaine in 40K. What I suspect is going to turn out to be the case is that the reason for Ariel's belief (whether she knows it or not) that entities like herself and the Lady of the Lake are important is that they represent the last shards of the power of the Elven pantheon, which under the right circumstances may allow for the pantheon to be reconstituted, or to at least participate in one last battle against the Chaos gods.
FVC

#25 Post by FVC »

draxynnic wrote:As I've said previously, I used to think Khaine = Khorne too.
But despite the naming similarity, the indications from the fluff are that they aren't actually the same:
*shrug* I can't help but think of a conversation I witnessed on another site. It went along these lines:

"Aenarion was not corrupted by Chaos, but by Khaine."

"Khaine? The raging war god obsessed with blood and brass, that Khaine? Yep, definitely no connection to that other raging war god obsessed with blood and brass. Nothing to see here, move along!"

Or to put it more seriously: I don't think Khaine is identical to Khorne as such, or that Khaine is just another name for Khorne. But Khaine does take on multiple forms - the High Elf Khaine, Dark Elf Khaine, and Old World Khaine are significantly qualitatively different - and those forms possess deep symbolic links to Khorne. The Old World Khaine, the god of blood and murder and assassination, reads like a particular refinement or aspect of Khorne, taking up serial murder as opposed to the mass slaughter the northern tribes associate him with. The Dark Elf Khaine reads as an attempt to religiously legitimate the darkest, most Khorne-like parts of the elven psyche, and thus DE-Khaine's and Khorne's shared association with arbitrary slaughter, bloodletting, and boundless rage. Only the High Elf Khaine seems like it has aspects that position it in opposition to Khorne.

Given the somewhat fluid nature of the Aethyr, it does not seem implausible that there is some connection between Khaine and Khorne. Considering the strongly Khornate elements of Dark Elf society and worship, I would not at all be surprised if, during a swelling of Chaos' power, Khaine were subsumed into Khorne. Khorne's identity would overwhelm Khaine's.

It's interesting that you bring up Ulric, since superficially there would seem to be similarities between Ulric and the Norse interpretation of Khorne: violent warrior gods that praise honour, strength in battle, and steadfast determination. Yet everything we've seen of Ulric suggests strong opposition between the two. (I'm thinking particularly of Ulric intervening to help slay the Bloodthirster in Empire.) I suppose I would say that the difference is that where Khorne is, essentially, rage and anger and violent instinct, Ulric is essentially courage and survival.

That's not to say there aren't parallels. Tome of Salvation's description of the first Ulricans sounds extremely Khornate. (p. 66: "The tribe... was wild and savage, and took to slaughtering the indigenous forest people to prove their worth. These bloody tribesmen quickly spread through the forests, butchering for many generations, exalting their God with every kill.") I would speculate that Ulric may have undergone a process of gradual evolution and refinement that took him away from Khorne; while the very problem with Khaine is that, looking at Dark Elf society, the process of evolution there has taken him towards Khorne.

I'm also a bit skeptical of making this whole argument because I don't think it's wise to make the gods entirely expressions of mortal belief. Mortal belief and culture does something, but I wouldn't rule out gods having some sort of divine essence or identity apart from what is believed about them. I'm thinking particularly of the Lady of the Lake in this regard: by her own admission, she predates even the Lizardmen, and has been called many names but has nonetheless always had some constant identity. (It's also why I very much doubt that she's derivative of the elven pantheon. The Lady is older than the elves, I think. The elven pantheon may well be also older than the elves, mind you, so fair is fair.) So it's certainly possible that Khaine and Ulric are more than just vortices of mortal belief, defined by their worshippers; so Khaine might be attracted to Khorne because the two gods feel they have similar interests, or Ulric might oppose Khorne because he perceives Khorne as a rival or he sees Khorne's bloodlust as an affront to his own ideals of martial valour. I would certainly be inclined to take such a personalistic view with mortal gods, such as Sigmar, possibly Ranald and Myrmidia, and the dwarf Ancestor-Gods.

Well. Gods are complicated and tricky things. Suffice to say that I think it's plausible that there is a connection between Khaine and Khorne, and Dark Elf Khaine-worship really seems like a gateway into full-blown Khorne worship, but I don't want to say anything too definitive.
Count

#26 Post by Count »

John Rainbow wrote: 3. Are several of the other 'dead' characters actually dead for real?
Aislinn was ressurected. But who else from elf heroes can do that?
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#27 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Just to add to the Khorne vs Khaine discussion :)

I know it is 40k but still.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Lord Anathir

#28 Post by Lord Anathir »

Would we be having this discussion if the names didnt both start with k and have one syllable?
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
FVC

#29 Post by FVC »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:I know it is 40k but still.
It's not wise to make too much of connections, but you may recall the old line in 40k that during the Fall, Khorne attempted to consume Khaine; and Khaine was at a significant disadvantage, because in their excess, the eldar had inadvertently weakened Khaine while strengthening Khorne and Slaanesh. Khaine was ripped apart because both Khorne and Slaanesh had a strong claim on Khaine's essence.

It seems to me that, taken on the spiritual level at least, this is very much true of the Dark Elves, a people who publicly worship Khaine, but who in actual practice seem torn between Khorne and Slaanesh.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#30 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hm, that is interesting. Do you remember where that line was? I don't recall it from 2nd edition Eldar Codex but I read it long time ago and I am sure I forgot many things. I would be grateful for directions!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth