Alith Anar

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Black Knight

Alith Anar

#1 Post by The Black Knight »

Hi Guys
This is my first post

I'm a big fan of Alith Anar's background and i'm considering using him in games but is he worth the points and how would you use him?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Alith Anar

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Alith Anar isn't too bad for his Prince, he's basically a mobile Bolt Thrower that can scout, but with the stats of a Prince, a 4+ ward, he's hard to catch when he runs away, and he's got good protection from shooting... put him in a unit of Shadow Warriors to wreck face in the backfield.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
The Black Knight

#3 Post by The Black Knight »

Thanks for the reply

Would you use him as a lone hunter (without shadow warriors) or is that too risky?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#4 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

You could use him like that, he would be -1 to hit for being a lone character, and -1 to hit for his Magic item, and if he was in cover that would be another -1, and he has a 4+ ward so yea pretty safe.
I would be reluctant to do it if he were my armies General though, but I've done something like it before ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I'd try to keep my options open.

I'd take at least one unit of Shadow Warriors. As Elessahta says the combined unit can cause trouble by Scouting. Or you can just deploy it normally and move around shooting stuff. Sometimes he can move solo but watch out for cannon and magic missiles.

As he has Ld10 he is probably the General so you may just want him to start in a conventional unit and keep the Ld handy.
The Black Knight

#6 Post by The Black Knight »

Are lone characters at -1 to hit from shooting?
I can't seem to find it in my rule book
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

No, you're right actually.

They were under 7th but not under 8th.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#8 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh yea, now they just get a Look Out Sir! but on;y if they are close to a unit, now sure why you wouldn't just put him in the unit then... Still -2 to hit if they have to turn to shoot at him, and he'll be starting at least 12" away so he's probably at long range too so -3, so all those peasant races with BS3 will be hitting on 7's =P He'll be fine. Stick him with a unit of Shadow Warriors anyway, wait are they still -1 to hit for being skirmishers, or did they change that too?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

I have never used him, so for me it's a bit theory hammer. But on paper he looks like a decent special character without being overpowered.

Basically, his points cost is the same (roughly) as a tooled up prince. If you put his options on a standard prince you get to about 300pts of kit, so he is slightly undercosted (I went for something like prince, bow of the seafarer, shadow armour, guardian phoenix, sacred incence and gem of courage). Given that his kit is not the most optimal and that HE characters and boltthrowers are slightly overcosted, he is nothing gamebreaking.

I think he would function well in a mobile harassment kind of list. Lots of fast elements, shooting to back it up and a few hard hitting precision tools. I wouldn't let him run around on his own early in the game. Cannonballs (and warmachines in general) can easily take him out, as can magic missiles. But with the little protection he has (6+ armour, 4+ ward) even small arms shooting can put the hurt on him. At short range, 10 archers put 1 wound on him on average.

Another thought is that in lists like furions or archer horde armies (made popular by Krysith is my memory serves me correctly) and equivalent would work well with a mobile, scouting boltthrower in it.

All in all, you shouldn't get too many complaints about using him (unlike when using a special character like Teclis). I would say, give him a go and let us know how it went :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
The Black Knight

#10 Post by The Black Knight »

Thanks for all the replies
A plan on giving him a go sometime soon when i've got the time and i will probably post an army list for some critique before i take him into battle
w_fergus

#11 Post by w_fergus »

I, too, love the story of Alith Anar and wish to find a way to incorporate him into my army. In a 2000pt game (that's what the guys at my local shop play) I could squeeze Alith Anar and a Lv 3 archmage. But by incorporating Alith Anar, I am weakening myself in Magic Phase where lies our greatest strength (no Lv 4 and no upgrades).

But if I was going to incorporate Alith Anar, I would place with my Spearmen. As I aggressively advance my unit of Spearmen, Alith Anar can soften the opposition with his bolt thrower. My unit of spearmen would also benefit from th protection of the -1 modifier that Anar gives to the unit he is in. And once my legion of Spearmen are engage in battle, Alith Anar adds a nice little punch to this unit as well.
The Black Knight

#12 Post by The Black Knight »

But if I was going to incorporate Alith Anar, I would place with my Spearmen.
I see the point of this but i think he's much more of a threat when deployed behind enemy lines with a unit of shadow warriors
"War is delightful to those who have no experience of it" - Erasmus
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

w_fergus wrote:But if I was going to incorporate Alith Anar, I would place with my Spearmen.
Just keep in mind that he can't march and shoot. It specifically sais so in his rules and has unfortunatly not been edited out...

So the advancing agressively and shooting is reduced to advancing agressively for 5'' and then shooting.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
The Black Knight

#14 Post by The Black Knight »

can alith anar march and shoot when in a unit of shadow warriors?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#15 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Any character can, it's part of the skirmisher rules.
The Black Knight

#16 Post by The Black Knight »

Any character can, it's part of the skirmisher rules.
even though it specifically says he cannot in the rules for the moonbow?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#17 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Army book does always take presidence over BRB, I'm not sure. Check the FAQ.
The Black Knight

#18 Post by The Black Knight »

the FAQ does not cover this issue :(
should i follow the HE book then?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yes, you should follow the HE army book rules.

So unfortunatly, Alith Anar can't march and shoot with the moonbow, no matter what unit he is in. His rules specifically mention that he is not allowed to march and shoot. And that takes precedence over any other rules. Silly as it may seem from a fluff perspective.

You could of course houserule it if you want...

Rod

Check out my plog

The Black Knight

#20 Post by The Black Knight »

Thanks for the advice
I play a reasonably friendly list so hopefully my opponent will let him march and shoot.
w_fergus

#21 Post by w_fergus »

Ahhh..darn!!!!! Well, if I cannot march and shoot with Alith Anar (thank you for clarifying btw) then maybe I would move him from my Spearmen Legion to my LSG or Phoenix Guard (using as a mage bunker). Running him around with overpriced archers (shadow warriors) is not worth wasting the points on. Alith Anar is better served in a unit in which they can benefit from the -1 shooting modifier as they advance forward. But the greatest thing about Alith Anar is his value.

Think about it for a second, you are getting a Prince stat line (150pts) and a Repeat Bolt Thrower (100pts) with three wounds instead of two plus a better Ballistic Skill (7 versus 4). Not to mention that you are essentially receiving free upgrades like Sacred Incense (30pts) and Armour of Protection (45pts). That's 325pts worth of goodies for Alith Anar price of 245pts.

Alith Anar would be a perfect compliment to a Lv 4 Archmage in a 2500pt army. The money you saved on a RPT, you could field a MSU of 8 Swordmasters. In an edition where we will always be outnumbered, I believe it's important to squeeze all the potential out of our army.
Baeronvonbleat

#22 Post by Baeronvonbleat »

You could always go Alith'anar, prince with Seafarer bow, in a unit of shadow warriors. That's -2 to be hit (Alith'anar and the skirmishing rule), and some serious double shot bolt thrower action (with stand and shoot option). With scouting you'll have some nice flank shot options early on, and you always separate if necessary.

Bringing a great weapon on the sea farer prince is highly suggested.
The Black Knight

#23 Post by The Black Knight »

Think about it for a second, you are getting a Prince stat line (150pts) and a Repeat Bolt Thrower (100pts) with three wounds instead of two plus a better Ballistic Skill (7 versus 4). Not to mention that you are essentially receiving free upgrades like Sacred Incense (30pts) and Armour of Protection (45pts). That's 325pts worth of goodies for Alith Anar price of 245pts.
This is why i'm suprised so few people take him, he's good but not overpowered which IMO is the perfect balance for a special character.

I will still run him with shadow warriors, if your including a special character it's most likely to be because of the background and it does not feel right to me runing him in an infantry block (it's not what alith does).
Also by scouting you can get into the most threatning positions for the moon bow and also there's the psychological factor of having a powerful character behind enemy lines
w_fergus

#24 Post by w_fergus »

Baeronvonbleat wrote:You could always go Alith'anar, prince with Seafarer bow, in a unit of shadow warriors. That's -2 to be hit (Alith'anar and the skirmishing rule), and some serious double shot bolt thrower action (with stand and shoot option). With scouting you'll have some nice flank shot options early on, and you always separate if necessary.

Bringing a great weapon on the sea farer prince is highly suggested.

Excellent idea!!!! I love your suggestion but Im going to twist it a bit. Instead of a prince with the Seafarer bow, I would have a Lv 4 Archmage with Silver Wand and Bow of Seafarer. I would throw the two in a unit with a BSB who is carrying the Banner of the World Dragon. That way I get two Bolt Throwers, a Lv. 4 Archmage with 5 spells, and they are both protected from being sniped out by Magical Attacks from the Lore of Death.

I cannot wait to give this setup a go this weekend!!!
The Black Knight

#25 Post by The Black Knight »

Excellent idea!!!! I love your suggestion but Im going to twist it a bit. Instead of a prince with the Seafarer bow, I would have a Lv 4 Archmage with Silver Wand and Bow of Seafarer. I would throw the two in a unit with a BSB who is carrying the Banner of the World Dragon. That way I get two Bolt Throwers, a Lv. 4 Archmage with 5 spells, and they are both protected from being sniped out by Magical Attacks from the Lore of Death.
This could work however it is quite risky as your putting all your eggs in one basket
Baleanoon

#26 Post by Baleanoon »

Notice bow of the seafarer also prevents marching and shooting.

I've been contemplating this character set up.

Alith Anar - 245

Prince - 262
Bow of the Seafarer,Shadow armour, Amulet of Light
Great weapon

Mage - 175
level 2
Staff of sorcery
(High Magic)
OR
Mage - 175
Level 2
Sigil of Asuryan
(High Magic)

The first dispels like a level 4, the second like a lvl 3 but has the ability to destroy spells, like dwellers or mind razor.

Noble - 146
BSB
Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Elven Steed
Dragon Helm

Its about 833 points of characters. I'd likely take all archer core, 2 units of shadow warriors, a silver helm bus, and then white lions or something.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Drachenprinzen

#27 Post by Drachenprinzen »

I could also see a benefit of using Alith Anar in a unit that has the "Banner of Eternal Flame" for taking out regenerating monstrosities with flaming attacks. I am currently looking at the prospect of using him in my 2500 point army as well.
8th Edition Stats (Win/Draw/Loss)
High Elves - 7/4/3
Johnny-Crass

#28 Post by Johnny-Crass »

Banner of E-Flame does not carry over to magical attacks
[url=http://www.vampirecounts.net][img]http://www.vampirecounts.net/images/CN_banner2.jpg[/img][/url]
Natwest

#29 Post by Natwest »

he is a very balanced character, and i always run him in unit of 5 shadow warriors, becauwe a.a cqn shoot pong range and redirect some of the army at him, then the sw pick them off.
[url=http://www.BannerFans.com][img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7756/6151892660193b0m3.png[/img][/url]

Visit my painting Blog - Necrosphinx on the go! - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42911

Natwest