Vengeance Rising

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 144 - 04/12/14

#1021 Post by RE.Lee »

The revenge I anticipated after the last battle is very much sweet! Again, the light buffs were key to your strategy it seems - the Necroknights benefiting this time. They are a great unit, though 2x6 looks a bit unwieldy. The two High Liche Priests is something I'll be mimicking - the wide spell selection backed up by the sheer power of Casket+Hierotitan can make a difference.

Have a nice Holiday!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
John Rainbow

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 144 - 04/12/14

#1022 Post by John Rainbow »

Jimmy wrote:When playing against yourself there isn't really much of a conclusion to draw outside of it being fun
Lol.
Iluvatar

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 145 - 08/12/14

#1023 Post by Iluvatar »

Hi Jimmy,

It's good to see reports from you again! I missed those!
I know it's always a little special to play against yourself, but after a break in gaming it can only get you back on track I guess. And thanks for reporting those to use - very enjoyable as usual, especially with the pictures of the nice table and minis!

Game 144 features interesting lists: MMU Ogres as you like, but different from your 'usual' list; and Ushabti-based TK. The difficulty with this undead list could be the lack of fighting power: apart from the Ushabti, only the chariots can fight, and that's if they are able to charge. Plus no horse archers to act as fast chaff - you only get Carrion for that purpose, though of course the small archer units can do the same, and having a tower close by always helps escaping dangerous fights.
Ushabti look far away on the flank, and that surprised me at first, but it's right that marching now allows them to position faster and turn towards the center.
T1 shows what marching + desert wind can do. Just amazing to witness! :)
Still, a few mistakes on the UL side as you mention: the opening to the firebelly's charge, and the exposure of the Hierotitan. I also find it disturbing that you advance the Ushabti that much, while the sabretusk on that flank is not dealt with. It seems you're exposing them to being blocked and later surrounded (which happens, but luckily they hold and win the next combat!). A good move could have been to turn the HT the other way to Spirit Leech the sabretusk: with its low Ld, it's a good way to get rid of it since it's too far for shooting. The HT probably wouldn't have been useful for a T2 charge anyway...
As for the rest, it's Ogres' fighting power against weaker opposition (due to losing one liche) - chariots are good, but after the charge it becomes difficult for them, and Ushabti can't take a whole Ogre army in combat despite an honourable performance here.
(and yeah, I just can't look at that game from the Ogre player's point of view... my soul is with the Legion! 8) )

I'll look a bit more at game 145 later if I can!

Thanks again, and best wished for the kindergarten.

Iluvatar
Loriel

#1024 Post by Loriel »

I always loved your self played and watched them closely on khemri. Always reminds me with meme "forever alone" and best part is that I am pretty sure that Jimmy is going to win, unless he get draw:P

Eventhough I think it is impossible to achieve total objective perspective on the matter (I would feel that if I played with Helf vs. TK I would probably favor Helf, even when I would try not to) but I feel you are doing rather good job trying to be as objective as possible.

good luck with the kindergarden project. nice to see people like you doing a good deeds, as people like me usually sit around and try to focus only to own problems. huge =D>
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Jimmy
Centurion

#1025 Post by Jimmy »

Posted this on the stronghold and thought I would put it up here:

Well time for a much needed update for the Ogres. I'm not even in country at the moment so have no way to paint or play games which just leaves one thing left and that is to think about warhammer! :). When the Undead Legion was made available with the release of End Times Nagash I was really excited as it addressed one of the main flaws in the Tomb King army book for me. Whilst I played a few games and eventually got around to reading the book I couldn't help but feel how piss weak the Tomb kings had been portrayed and it really irked me to no end. From a fluff point of view I will perhaps give a Khalida list a bash down the track. I also have a large collection of High Elves but of course with ET Khaine and the way that has gone I'm really tempted to sell them. That leaves the Ogres of course and my plan is to get some games in with them in January before some sort of ET release renders them into a useless state I don't approve of. Admittedly I've been absent for months from the stronghold due to work and for the remainder of this month building a kindergarten overseas is only giving me access to the stronghold intermittently during the day. It's great to come back though and the traffic is still flowing however I still have a personal goal to see it increase even more and become very active. For now however I'm on gaming talk. This year I took a complete break from tournaments and my army lists were becoming a bit too competitive for my liking (even though I was playing TK!) and that didn't reflect me as a player or my play style. I practically have zero experience running the Ogres in tourneys and have currently used them once and I like a good gimmick. That is using an unusual list that is uncommon and having the ability to make it work, better yet when people state it will not work and proving them wrong, ace! :)

I've been using a Beastmaster list currently with the ogres and whilst very fun it doesn't suit exactly what I'm after. It's a little too reliant on magic for my tastes, I can play Tomb Kings if I want that. However there is some further exploration to do down that road at some stage with a Heavens council list I have been toying with but that's another topic.

Whilst I've been looming in the shadows there have been a number of topics that have interested me. Firstly one asking about the current meta and the durability of the dual firebelly list. It's a great list and has many strengths and there is something very respectable about Ogres taking to the table being led by a Tyrant.

Secondly a topic about Maneaters particularly about scout/swiftstride caught my attention. Ever since I've used this unit I've rarely deviated from something combined from poison/stubborn/sniper and wit the addition of some gunpowder you can say in the most sarcastic tone "how exciting". Paint me guilty of using a unit that is so point and click that it makes Bretonnian players turn their noses up. The key to Maneaters has and always will be flexibility. Designing them around your list or vice versa is the ultimate way to have them pay dividends to your overall battle plan in any game but that certainly requires a lot of forethought and experience and often lots of dead Maneaters in between! I'm really keen to get this unit back onto the battlefield and into action and add some additions including but not limited to:

- great weapon on the standard

Just a very clever idea for extra punch.

- explore BTDT rules

I am really drawn to Scout. Applying pressure on the opponent from the opening from is a huge burden and can cause some favourable reactions. Also I wish to use this to setup traps such as deploying them on a flank for example and having say a van guarding hunter make his way up to support or a banner of swiftness unit of Mournfang Cavalry looming about making tackling the Maneaters a very risky prospect. Some more modelling opportunities as well!

- use the ironblaster

But not so much as a platform of fire but use the damn thing as a chariot as well. I have fallen into the hole of playing this like an artillery piece and not a chariot. This is going to change.

- core perfection

For me at least I have always struggled with having a balanced core when it comes to Ogre Kingdoms. Further exploration and study is required on this and of course experience on the tabletop is the best means here.

- Concepts/Theme

One thing I love is cool lists with a very defined theme. Doesn't always happen but I try to stick with that theory in the back of my head. I was inspired by the triple cow list, dual firebelly, and outside of Ogre Kingdoms that list continues to grow. There is a lot of creativity when it comes to army design and many people fail to grasp that including me. I've taken other peoples designs and attempted to put my spin on them but I really love watching long term journey someone takes and you can clearly see them grow as a player and they turn into a master of their chosen list. Undoubtedly this isn't a short term process and often it's years depending on how often they play but it's this type of mindset I wish to tap into and figure something out with the Ogres.

With the new rules additions from ET and how the general community will react to these this can certainly change the designs of many armies simply with the 50% lord allowance. Whilst this can mean an extra Stonehorn it also means if this rule is taken liberally the Ogre player will be left with a very thin line of Ogres on the field and I do not believe this is a good combination.

Firstly some list concepts I've been thinking about a lot here at Paradise.

- Heavens council

Lore of Heavens generally gets a bad rap because it is a bit of a utility lore and normally reserved for shooting lists. I personally love the Lore and have not fully explored it with Ogres and that's something I would like to change eventually.

- Dual Firebelly

Nothing new here and it's been done to death a little so I would probably steer clear of this as for me it's become a standard list for stronghold players.

- Sneaky List

Vanguarding units, scouting Maneaters, and perhaps a flying character. To me this makes up a very unique army and I haven't seen all of these units together.

The roadblocks I have always succumbed to with Ogres is boredom and I can't exactly identify why. Perhaps it's the play style or some other aspect that I haven't clearly seen yet but hopefully that won't be the case this time. Often I'll get into a good rhythm with them and then lose momentum. So hopefully with some semi consistent gaming (employment could be the deciding factor there!) and an up to date Gnoblog I'll be doing my part to keep the stronghold active.

I do ask gents however you support the stronghold, that is comment on everything and anything you can, if you have a question to do with someone's modelling log then post it, for me personally I ask you check out my battle reports, they take hours to create and there is nothing more disheartening than a topic sitting there for days and weeks on end with zero comments. It's very frustrating and I'm sure that's across the board for all subjects but for me I hold battle reports very close to my Ogre heart. :)

Enough ranting for now, if you've hung on this long I applaud you and hopefully I'll have some comments to reply to in 24 hours ish time.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1026 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

I am not surprised with your decision to switch to Ogres after reading ET books. Who knows, hopefully big guys are going to play some interesting role in the campaign as we know they are all on the move. And let's keep fingers crossed it is not this:

http://www.wobblymodelsyndrome.com/home ... d-times-iv

Looking forward to your exploits with OK. This forum needs creative minds like yours who are willing to try the unpopular in order to find new paths. Even if you do so with a different army.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Jimmy
Centurion

#1027 Post by Jimmy »

Hey guys

Without further ado this is the first game I've played in a while against a 'real' opponent so whilst my rust really shows it some instances keep in mind as well it's the MSU concept I was trying to once again a brand new concept to myself so it was always going to be an uphill battle.

146. Ogre Kingdoms vs. Empire
========================

Overview
--------
Date played: Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T1) Tyrant
- Sword of Anti-Heroes, Armour of Destiny, Dragonbane Gem, Other Trickster's Shard
(B1) Bruiser
- BSB, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon
(F) Firebelly
- Great Weapon, Arabyan Carpet, Level 2, Lore of Fire
(H) Hunter
- Harpoon Launcher, Talisman of Endurance, Sword of Might
(I1) 8 Ironguts
- Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
(O1) 3 Ogres
- Extra Hand Weapons, Musician
(O2) 3 Ogres
(O3) 3 Ogres
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk
(S3) Sabretusk
(MC1) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
- Ironfist, Heavy Armour, Musician
(MC2) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(I2) Ironblaster
(S4) Stonehorn
- Harpoon Launcher

Empire
------
(WL) Wizard Lord
- Lore of Heavens (Comet, Chain Lightning, Harmonic Convergence, Iceshard Blizzard), Power Scroll, Opal Amulet
(W) Wizard
- Lore of Heavens (Wind Blast), Dispel Scroll, Ruby Ring
(C) Captain
- BSB, Full Plate, Enchanted Shield
(E1) Engineer
- Steed, Barding
(E2) Engineer
- Steed, Barding
(H1) Hunter
- Ring of Volans (Pit of Shades)
(H2) 28 Halberdiers
- Standard, Musician
(S) 20 Spearmen
- Standard, Musician
(K1) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician, Great Weapons
(K2) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician
(K3) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician
(DK) 4 Demigryph Knights
- Musician
(GC1) Great Cannon
(GC2) Great Cannon
(P1) 5 Pistoliers
- Outrider, Repeater Pistol
(P2) 5 Pistoliers
(LoH1) Luminark of Hysh
(LoH2) Luminark of Hysh

Deployment
----------

Empire wins the roll off and goes first.

Turn 1 - Empire
---------------

Magic is 7 vs 6. I dispel the first Luminark however the second chips a wound off the MFC. Comet fails to cast and I dispel Wind Blast. The Cannon drops the Ironblaster and the Pistoliers drop the Sabretusk panicking the MFC 6" away. Great start for Empire.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Harpoon Launcher takes a wound from the DGK. Magic is shutdown.

Turn 2 - Empire
---------------

12 vs 6 Magic Phase. Windblast onto the Firebelly is dispelled, Luminark is dispelled whilst the other fails to wound the MFC. Comet is cast whilst Harmonic Convergence onto the DGK is stopped. 3 wounds onto the Ogres via shooting and 4 wounds onto the Stonehorn via cannons.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Stonehorn charges into the Knights, Ogres tackled the great weapon wielding Knights, the MFC try to join them but fail their charge skidding 4" forward. Finally the Ironguts and Hunter slam into the DGK. Magic phase is shut down and the Comet comes crashing down however killing the Sabretusk, the Stonehorn, 3 wounds on the MFC, 2 dead Knights and 8 wounds onto the Ironguts. Ouch. The firebelly torches 7 Spearmen from 20 hits (not impressed). Ironguts take 3 wounds and dish out 6 in return breaking the DGK however the Hunter is unable to catch them whilst the guts reform.

Turn 3 - Empire
---------------

Knights charge the depleted MFC who flee but are caught with a huge charge from the Knights (19"). 6 vs 4 Magic and the Luminark targets the Hunter however I dispel this. Comet goes IF and the cascade killed 15 Halberdiers. Cannon drops the Hunter and pup whilst the Pistol fire makes short work of the Ogres. The Knight and Ogre dish a wound each but hold.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Ironguts charge into the Knights as does the MFC into their nearest target. Magic phase blows 5 vs 4 and I IF a 3D6 fireball into an engineer searing him however the resulting cascade kills the Firebelly and puts 2 wounds onto the DGK. Ironguts kill Knights and overrun into spearmen. MFC kill knights and overrun 11".

Turn 4 - Empire
---------------

Comet comes down killing 9 Spearmen, 8 wounds onto the Ironguts. Both Luminarks are dispelled. MFC cannoned off the table. Spearmen killed.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Ogre charges Halberdiers who flee and a failed charge turns south as it blocks the Ironguts.

Turn 5 - Empire
---------------

Pistols kill Ogres, Cannon kills BSB and Irongut leaving a lonely Tyrant.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Concede to a royal back side kicking.

Result - Empire Victory

Conclusion to come.

X-wing Blog
Teledor

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 146 - 06/01/15

#1028 Post by Teledor »

Yikes. Sorry Jimmy. It's been my experience with my Ogres so far that Fast Cav and Cav are difficult for them to catch up to with limited shooting. Still an interesting concept that I'd like to see experimented with some more.
Last edited by Teledor on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy
Centurion

#1029 Post by Jimmy »

So I've had some time to absorb the game and decided now it a good time to write up a bit of a conclusion and debrief for myself. The anger has subsided and now my red vision has been replaced by normal clarity and crisp vision.

From the top against my opponents list the key threats were the cannons and the Luminarks. The cannons have the ability to smash the Ironblaster which they kindly did turn 1 and of course chip away the wounds from the Stonehorn. Along with the Luminarks the army is perfectly equipped to deal with these two threats of mine and unfortunately with nothing to answer the cannons with and nothing scouting or quick to penetrate the back lines I wasn't confident that I'd have the cannons dead anytime after turn 1. Yes I could have taken the Firebelly to them but that would have meant he wasn't being used elsewhere.

I felt my deployment was pretty good up until I totally forgot about Vanguarding units. Whoops. Things would have changed a bit had I remembered this tiny fact. Not to worry. Chalk that up as a learning experience and almost re-learning the game. Some explanations, the Ironblaster was put so far on the flank because I was trying to get my opponent to split his cannons up. Secondly my army was deployed far away from the enemy as originally he had a Helblaster in the list and then he changed his list last minute without notification so I was staying out of a danger zone for something that never eventuated.

My Ogres did practically nothing all game beside happily act as targets for Pistoliers, a sheer waste of points if ever I saw it. My bad. When MFC rallied perhaps I should have faced them West to threaten the fast cavalry. I even consciously thought about this and chose to ignore it hoping they'd just go away.

Ultimately the Ironguts were aiming for the characters and I fell for the oldest trick in the book. I didn't even contemplate the characters would jump ship into the Halberdiers and upon careful inspection of the list I'm sure that's the sole reason there is another block of infantry in the list just to protect the characters as it's not the infantry that is doing the damage in the list. I can't believe I missed that one.

As I mentioned to SM in an email I feel like the Stonehorn and Ironblaster are free points to my opponent in a game like this, they can just be dealt with too easily and I would think in 10 games with the game lists the IB and SH would never make it through so to me it's more like a 2000 point game vs a 2400 point. Could be me having a royal cry about it but hey I stand by it.

Rather than go through what didn't work because that list is far too long I'll go for the shorter version and list what did work.

Although magic for me was more or less non existent the Firebelly got into a position once and peeled a rank off a unit and it was poor rolling, that was cool. The Hunter darting up the flank to eventually hit the DGK (and do zero damage as well mind you) was great however I'll come back to that in some points below. That's all I can think of right now unfortunately.

On the list itself now although I won't change it for a few games straight away I'm coming back to the same points I considered when I ran some test games:

Magic - A level 2 in a competitive list? I don't think it works. Spells from the enemy will just leak through eventually if there is a level 4 at the helm.

Ironblaster - In my beastmaster list I never used one and it was a welcomed thought. In any 'normal' list it's the opponents priority target. By removing it then I have one less thing to worry about and my opponent can generally only target monstrous infantry targets from that stage on or MFC.

Stonehorn - Once again 250 points that made zero impact in the game. Sore point number #15.

I won't go into what I could replace these units with, that's another post that may or may not eventuate in the future.

This game at face value should leave a lot of doubt as to the future of MSU for Ogres but please don't confuse a player's terrible skill with the concept of a list. It's a hard pill to swallow to even contemplate trying this list again when I have several lists that I like and have a proven track record. I guess I'm certainly a Stubborn Maneater if that's the case. So if you've been following my solitary hammer posts and drawn some inspiration from them don't let this terrible display of general ship deter you from having a go at something yourself. Sometimes things certainly don't go our way and you have those days where you just shouldn't have picked up dice. This could be one of those.

Playing non MSU is so much easier in my opinion, not as many angles, over runs etc to think about and to be constantly aware of. Clearly I wasn't aware of them enough and failed hard at picking them or even preparing for them. Such an embarrassing beginning to a series of games that is bloody hard to consider trying again.

X-wing Blog
Teledor

#1030 Post by Teledor »

Jimmy, don't be so hard on yourself! I think that comet landing Turn 2 was a major game changer. You lost the Stonehorn, a Sabretusk, half an MFC unit and nearly 3 Ironguts. That's a big chunk to take out of your army so early.

So some quick thoughts, if you're wanting to drop the IB and the Stonehorn, and keep your MSU feel, then perhaps you could take two groups of 3 Maneaters with scout, ItP and AHW? They can put pressure on warmachines, acting like your IB as a counter battery threat, and can't be shot off the board by panic like your typical Ogres. At the very least they threaten opponents backfield and potentially alter their deployment.

Also, the flying Firebelly could potentially be used as counter fast cav?

Anyways.. Keep on it!
Jimmy
Centurion

#1031 Post by Jimmy »

Slight changes in the Empire list however the same table with me taking the opposite side this time.

Ogre Kingdoms vs. Empire
========================

Overview
--------
Date played: Friday, 9 January 2015

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T) Tyrant
- Sword of Anti-Heroes, Armour of Destiny, Dragonbane Gem, Other Trickster's Shard
(B) Bruiser
(F) Firebelly
- Great Weapon, Arabyan Carpet, Level 2, Lore of Fire
(H) Hunter
- Harpoon Launcher, Talisman of Endurance, Sword of Might
(I1) 8 Ironguts
- Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
(O1) 3 Ogres
(O2) 3 Ogres
(O3) 3 Ogres
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk
(S3) Sabretusk
(I2) Ironblaster
(S4) Stonehorn
- Harpoon Launcher

Empire
------
(WL) Wizard Lord
- Lore of Heavens (Comet, Chain Lightning, Harmonic Convergence, Iceshard Blizzard), Power Scroll, Opal Amulet
(W) Wizard
- Lore of Heavens (Thunderbolt), Dispel Scroll
(C) Captain
- BSB, Full Plate, Shield, Standard of Discipline
(E1) Engineer
- Steed, Barding
(E2) Engineer
- Steed, Barding
(H1) Hunter
- Ring of Volans
(H2) 28 Halberdiers
- Standard, Musician
(S) 20 Spearmen
- Standard, Musician
(K1) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician, Great Weapons
(K2) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician
(K3) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician
(DK) 4 Demigryph Knights
- Musician
(GC1) Great Cannon
(GC2) Great Cannon
(P1) 5 Pistoliers
(P2) 5 Pistoliers
(LoH1) Luminark of Hysh
(LoH2) Luminark of Hysh

Deployment
----------

Ogres win the roll off.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Magic phase is 8 vs 7 but a 6D6 Fireball targetting the Cannon is still shut down easily enough. The Ironblaster turns the cannon to splinters.

Turn 1 - Empire
---------------

7 vs 4 for magic, Comet is cast, Harmonic Convergence goes through as I fail to dispel and the Power Scroll is cracked for Chain Lightning however it fails to cast. Cannon misses the MFC.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ironblaster charges the Pistoliers however the Sabretusk and Ogres fail scattering forward a little. Ogres charge into the Knights. Comet comes down and kills the Firebelly, 4 Pistoliers, 1 wound on the Stonehorn, kills a MFC, 5 wounds onto the Ironguts and a Sabretusk. The cannon drops 3 Ironguts. In combat the Ironblaster kills the lone Pistolier and overruns 6" forward whilst the Ogres do 2 wounds via Impact hits for 2 in return.

Turn 2 - Empire
---------------

The great weapon wielding Knights charge into the Ogres. 5 Halberdiers drop from dangerous terrain. Magic phase is 4 vs 3. Comet is dispeled however this allows an unchecked luminark to fire its laser killing an Irongut and wounding the Tyrant (yes even with a 2+ ward against fire...). The Ogres drop 2 of the new knights to the fray taking a single wound in return.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

MFC fail a charge into the DGK, whilst the Hunter charges into the Pistoliers who flee then re-directs into the Knights. This allows the Ogres to charge into the Pistoliers and catch them. Stonehorn fails a long charge against the Spearmen (wasn't aware that Witch Hunter downgraded Terror/Fear). Ironblaster misfires. Ogres take a single wound, Hunter kills 2 Knights via impact hits and overruns 9" (did this to prevent DGK from charging into the Ironguts). The remaining 2 knights hold.

Turn 3 - Empire
---------------

Both Luminarks and Spearmen charge into the Ironguts whilst the DGK take on the Hunter. Knights charge the flank of the MFC. Magic is 8 vs 5 and Iceshard Blizzard onto the Ironguts is dispelled whilst Harmonic Convergence fails to cast and the Ring of Volans follows suite. Lone MFC is cannoned. Ogres vs Knights is a stale mate whilst the Hunter drops and the DGK can't complete the charge against the Ironguts. Ironguts take 3 wounds via Impact hits from the Luminarks and the Tyrant takes a wound from the Empire BSB. Tyrant kills 3 Spearmen, Bruiser puts 2 wounds onto the Luminark, Spearmen put a single wound onto the Ironguts whilst the Irongut champion drops the enemy BSB, all 3 stomp attacks wound allowing a Luminark to break from combat which panics the nearby Halberdiers 8". The Knights fail fear however it's not enough to prevent the demise of the MFC.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Ogres fail a charge into the Knights and scuttle 4". The Stonehorn drops a DGK with a Harpoon and the Ironblaster matches the damage reducing the unit to 50%. Ogres take 2 wounds and hold against the Knights. The Tyrant kills 4 Spearmen as the Ironguts take another wound. The Spearmen end up with another 5 casualties from attacks and stomps whilst the Luminark takes another 2 wounds. This causes it to break and flee off the table.

Turn 4 - Empire
---------------

The DGK charge into the Ironguts whilst the Luminark rallies however the Halberdiers continue to run and flee 6". Magic phase is 12 vs 6 and a powered up Comet fails to cast. The Luminark powers up but is easily dispelled. The Cannon rolls a 1 to wound the Ironblaster. The Ogres do a single unanswered wound to the Knights and it's enough to break them as the standard is cut down. The Tyrant drops 4 Spearmen, Bruiser does a wound to the Wizard Lord, the Gutlord finishes him off. The Irongut kills the Witch Hunter and Stomps take out the rest of the unit. The DGK break and flee 10" whilst the Ironguts reform.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ironguts charge into the DGK who flee 5" through the building, the Ironguts redirect into the Knights who also flee. The Ogres then charge the DGK who flee back through the building whilst the Ogres chase the Knights off the table. The Stonehorn charges the Engineer. Ironblaster does a single wound to a DGK. Stonehorn turns Engineer into paste and over runs 11".

Turn 5 - Empire
---------------

DGK Rally as does the infantry. Magic is 6 vs 4 and the Luminark is dispelled whilst Thunderbolt fails to cast. Cannon kills the Irongut Standard.

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Ironblaster does a single wound to the DGK.

Turn 6 - Empire
---------------

DGK into the Sabretusk. Magic phase is 6 vs 4 again as the Luminark does a single wound to the BSB and Thunderbolt is once again dispelled. Cannon fails to kill the Sabretusk however the DGK dispatch theirs easily enough.

Result - Ogre Kingdoms Victory.

Conclusion - More to come later but as a famous MMA athlete once said "I'm not impressed by your performance".

X-wing Blog
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 147 - 09/01/15

#1032 Post by Malossar »

I love the concept of MSU Ogres and I think you showed a flash of what they could be in this last game.

However I've never rated the stonehorn very high and its an easy way for your opponent to score 250 points that won't have much of an impact on the game. I think the points might be spent better elsewhere unless you're running him solely for the sake of showing off that slick paint job on him ;)
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Jimmy
Centurion

#1033 Post by Jimmy »

Shame I don't own the model. :lol:

X-wing Blog
Malossar
Something Cool

#1034 Post by Malossar »

Did you paint up the thundertusk? I remember seeing some scots riding a big fury beast in your paint log!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1035 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Stop complaining, Jimmy! Give yourself a pat on the back for well played game you deserve. First you are grumpy because you lost now you are grumpy because you won. I don't get it :roll: :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Malossar
Something Cool

#1036 Post by Malossar »

It's the curse of the centurion.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#1037 Post by Ferny »

Jimmy wrote:Playing non MSU is so much easier in my opinion, not as many angles, over runs etc to think about and to be constantly aware of. Clearly I wasn't aware of them enough and failed hard at picking them or even preparing for them. Such an embarrassing beginning to a series of games that is bloody hard to consider trying again.
Hey Jimmy - just having a quick catch up on your excellent blog...will give it a more thorough reading when things cool down a bit at this end, but thought it was worth a comment to say I'm reading still, please keep it up.

On your point above, I absolutely agree that MSU is a hard play style for exactly the reasons you describe. I would also add to that that it is very unforgiving, in that whilst you have lots of units, it doesn't take much to make too many too weak to contribute fighting power. I'm an average player at best and I had a run with High Elf MSU inspired by Swordmaster. It hugely increased my appreciation for the game, the subtleties and cleverness of it, but I think its an army which not only requires a good general (like most armies do, and you can class yourself here Jimmy) but also requires someone with a skilled and practices eye for the style. I suspect it is one of the reasons why MSU is less common (and I think the more common wood elf MSU and pink horror MSU both play sufficiently differently to ogre and high elf MSU that they don't suffer the same problems you describe, or not to the same extent). So, I guess I'm kinda saying don't knock yourself about over losing like this - no shame in losing a computer game with settings on a higher difficulty, ditto for not having your best ever performance here. Indeed, the replay shows you can master it better, and I think we often learn the most from our mistakes :). Thanks for posting these :).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Jimmy
Centurion

#1038 Post by Jimmy »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Stop complaining, Jimmy! Give yourself a pat on the back for well played game you deserve. First you are grumpy because you lost now you are grumpy because you won. I don't get it :roll: :)
Being objective about it mate, granted after the loss initially I was pissed with myself for crap effort on my behalf but after the win I'm looking at it from a 'results' point of view which I believe someone said just 'look at the results' ( :wink: ) regardless of it's a victory or a loss.

@Mal - yep Thundertusk. Trying to source a Stonehorn currently.

More to follow.

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1039 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Ha, that's true, I did that :lol: But being objective, the result of the second game is far better than the first one so what is not to like? I am sure you will explain it soon! :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

RE.Lee

#1040 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice revenge, good job =D> Bring back the Tomb Kings, though! ;)
cheers, Lee

Jimmy
Centurion

#1041 Post by Jimmy »

RE.Lee wrote:Nice revenge, good job =D> Bring back the Tomb Kings, though! ;)
At least I know what I'm doing with the Tomb Kings! 8)

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#1042 Post by Jimmy »

Introduction

Hey guys

Firstly this is another self played game, with no opponent but the guy looking at me in the mirror. These exercises allow me to create somewhat interesting battles and situations and I often out-wit myself as one might imagine. Take them for entertainment value but they will still serve for me a valuable addition to rounding out the MSU puzzle that I've embarked on.

This is game 3 of my MSU journey with the Ogres, however I've changed lists! It's currently belting down with rain here so I'm going to run through a briefing of each of the lists with the break downs:

Ogre Kingdoms MSU:

Tyrant - General, GW, HA, Trickster's Helm, Talisman of Preservation
Tyrant - GW, Glittering Scales, Talisman of Endurance, Ironcurse Icon
Bruiser - BSB, Armour of Destiny, GW
Firebelly - Dispel Scroll
6 Ogres - FC, IF
4 Ogres - Std, Mus, IF
2 x 3 Ogres - XHW, Mus
4 Leadbelchers - Mus
3 x 2 Mournfang Cav - IF, HA, Mus
2 x 1 Sabretusk
Ironblaster

I haven't seen many dual Tyrant lists floating about so to setup one up with MSU principles intrigued me. Also another point to consider is no Ironguts at all which can potentially hurt me with no core high strength attacks sole relying on the Tyrants to do some heavy lifting but secondly no magic banners. Hopefully I'll be able to overcome this hurdle. I've opted for cheap characters and cheap units. The general is the most expensive item in the list and can take a bit of punishment however all the characters excluding the Firebelly will be slapping S7 attacks around the battlefield.

Core intrigues me with no Ironguts to 'rely' on. I've opted for a larger unit of Ogres to sit 2 or more characters in depending on the opposition. A smaller unit of 4 can either run solo if I need a 'star' or 2 character in that turns it into a hitty block itself unlocking higher strength impact hits. 2 units of 3 Ogres will continue to serve me as a learning tool for getting in the way, I just hope my learning curve starts to get a little better with them.

Lots of speed in the Special choices with 3 MFC darts, these can certainly pack a punch against Undead so I really need to put the pressure on early and march them right up whilst keeping them in General/BSB range. going to be an interesting fight.

Ogre Keys to Victory

- Close the gap ASAP to ensure minimal casualties via shooting
- Retain initiative by destroying redirecting elements (Horse Archers, Archers, Scorpion)
- Create mutual support zones to anticipate Entombed units arriving
- Ironblaster targets - Casket/Catapult/Necrosphinx

Undead Legion MSU:

Liche High Priest - Dispel Scroll
4 x 10 Skeleton Archers
3 x 5 Horse Archers
30 Skeleton Warriors - FC
2 x 3 Knights - Entombed, Std
4 Knights - Std, Mus
Stalkers
2 x 3 Carrion
Tomb Scorpion
Necrosphinx
Casket of Souls
Catapult

One of my favourite lists recently when using Undead. With the new marching rules available it's made it a little more potent in terms of throwing units in front of the enemy allowing me to deal with them. It's got a good amount of S3 shooting which will be used to whittle down the oncoming Ogres but also the Catapult will be targeting the Ironblaster immediately and then bombarding the units. With the amount of re-directors in the list I'm unsure if a unit will ever get close to the general.

The Stalkers should shine in this matchup against the low initiative targets and will be focusing on the MFC darts as they pose a serious threat to the undead infantry units with their sheer speed and raw power. The Entombed units should have no problem in getting behind the units in order to create favourable combats backed up by magic. The Necrosphinx will be ideal for cutting down the small units of Ogres and looking for the flanks of the MFC/Ogres.

Undead Legion Keys to Victory

- Take out Sabretusks/Ironblaster
- Re-direct Ogre 'star' with marching and desert wind
- Setup Entombed units for maximum damage
- Utlising Flying units for optimal roles

Well the table is setup, and the game should commence shortly with a report in tow. Until then thanks for reading as per usual.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#1043 Post by Jimmy »

148. Undead Legion vs. Ogre Kingdoms
===============================

Overview
--------
Date played: Monday, 12 January 2015

Undead Legion
-------------
(LHP) Liche High Priest
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Nehekara (Smiting, Desert Wind, Protection, Dessication)
(SA1) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA2) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA3) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA4) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SW) 30 Skeleton Warriors
- Full Command
(HA1) 5 Horse Archers
(HA2) 5 Horse Archers
(HA3) 5 Horse Archers
(NK1) 4 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, Musician
(NK2) 3 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, EBTS
(NK3) 3 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, EBTS
(S) 3 Stalkers
(TS) Tomb Scorpion
(C1) 3 Carrion
(C2) 3 Carrion
(N) Necrosphinx
(SSC) Sceaming Skull Catapult
(CoS) Casket of Souls

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T1) Tyrant
- Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm, Talisman of Preservation
(T2) Tyrant
- Great Weapon, Glittering Scales, Talisman of Endurance
(B) Bruiser
(F) Firebelly
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire (Fireball)
(O1) 7 Ogres
- Full Command, Ironfists
(O2) 4 Ogres
- Ironfists, Musician, Standard
(O3) 3 Ogres
(O4) 3 Ogres
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk
(MC3) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(I) Ironblaster
(L) 4 Leadbelchers
- Musician

Deployment
----------

The usual Sabretusks went down first creating the 'buffer' zone for any entombed units that would be turning up. Skeleton Archers were placed down for the Undead whilst the Carrion would hang back close to the general in order to plug up holes or re-direct as dictated. Once the Ironblaster was down the Necrosphinx took some first turn protection from a low wall whilst the Casket hugged a wall. Tyrants were split up to ensure the Ogre units wouldn't make easy targets for entombed Knights units. Legion wins the roll off.

Turn 1 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Legion push forward. The Skeleton Archers skuttle into bow range whilst the Necrosphinx takes the opportunity to zoom around the tower away from the Ironblaster. Horse archers would be used to try and take out the Sabretusks to give me clear lines to entomb. Magic phase is 11 vs 4, 6D6 is thrown at Light of Death and it goes IF targetting the Ironblaster which yields a single wound and fails to jump. 5D6 ensures Smiting goes up powering up all nearby units however the power drain sucks a single level from the High Priest. The Undead artillery launches into the air and splits the Ironblaster in two shattering it across the battlefield. The Leadbelchers take a single casualty from arrows and the Ogres on the far flank are left with a single unit member.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres retaliate and move swiftly to close with the enemy. The MFC reform and face the open ground providing some rear security for entombed units. 12 vs 6 magic phase however a 6D6 fireball is stopped (24 vs 28). The Leadbelchers unload 13 shots into the Necropolis Knights of which 2 hit (yay!) however both are saved.

Turn 2 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Knights level their spears and charge at the Leadbelchers who flee safely behind the MFC pulling the Knights 6" towards the Ogre lines. A single unit of Knights arrive accompanied by a Tomb Scorpion onto the battlefield. Magic is 11 dice vs 6 and the Ogre scroll is drawn out with a 6D6 Light of Death allowing Dessication to target the Ogres however the Firebelly stops this. Desert wind then picks up several of the Undead Legion moving them about the battlefield, most notable is the Necrosphinx and the Necro Knights pushing them deeper into enemy territory. The Carrion block the MFC whilst the Skeleton Archers sacrifice themselves to put the MFC into the wall. The Archers put a single wound onto the Ogre 'star' whilst the Sabretusk cops a wound but the Catapult suffers a misfire preventing it from a repeat performance.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres bellow and charge into the Horse Archers who gambled to drop the Sabretusk and failed whilst on the otherside of the battlefield the MFC charge into the Archers. Their brethren charge the nearby Carrion whilst the lone Ogre charges the Horse Archers but only stumbles 2" forward. The Leadbelchers rally. It was time for the Ogres to play some tricks of their own and the Sabretusk sprints ahead to block the Knights from doing anything tricky. The Ogre star turns to face the Knights as to gain more attacks to the front rather than face any other direction. One of the characters could allocate his attacks to the Tomb Scorpion hopefully getting rid of the +2 for the rear charge but I'd be steadfast anyway. Magic is 8 vs 4 dice and the 6D6 fireball targeting the Necrosphinx draws out the Legions scroll. I couldn't let this thing reach combat on full wounds! Combats all go the way of the Ogres with the Carrion wounding the MFC before their demise.

Turn 3 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Horse Archers charge the blocking Sabretusk gambling a short overrun would block the Ogre forces from counter charging the Necropolis Knights. The Tomb Scorpion charged the rear of the Ogre Star whilst the smaller unit of entombed Knights tackle the front. The aim here was never to break the unit, more to cause as much damage as possible in order to make the unit easier to deal with for the rest of my army in the late game. Hopefully it would pay off. The last unit of entombed knights arrives parking behind the second Tyrant's unit. The 4 strong Knights back up a little whilst the Necrosphinx flies into a more threatening position. The Horse archers move snug next to the MFC making a reform facing the archer line impossible. Magic is a poor showing as Light of Death fails on 2D6 and a powered up Dessication onto the Ogres is dispelled on 4 dice as boxcars comes up. The lone Ogre on the flank is shot up whilst the catapult crew fix the damage and unleash a payload which destroys a MFC. The Horse Archers cut up the Sabretusk and over run 5" in front of the the Ogre units.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Mournfang and Ogres charge into the Skeleton Archers blocking the path whilst the MFC closer to the general rush into support. The Sabretusk causes trouble infront of the Knights whilst the Mournfang swift reform through a gap into the backlines. The Leadbelchers get 11 shots of which 5 hit the Necropolis Knights. 4 wound and 3 save. The Ogres and MFC pummel the archers and an over run takes the lone MFC 8" towards the Necrosphinx whilst the Tyrant reforms his unit. This part of the game had me stop for about 20 minutes going over a few scenarios in my head. I didn't want to present my back side to the Necrosphinx and unfortunately the MFC overrun was short an inch in order to tie up the Necrosphinx. Also it was by this stage I realised I'd made a dreadful error with the Sabretusk positioning.

Turn 4 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Knights crash into the lone Sabretusk whilst the remaining level spears aimed for the MFC. The Necrosphinx jumps the lone MFC and pounces onto the Ogres flank in an epic display of rock solid agility. The Stalkers arrive onto the battlefield taking up position behind the Leadbelchers intent on draining any ranged capabilities from the Ogres. The Liche Priest leaves the safety of the unit intent that the shooting elements of the Ogres has been taken care of, besides if I could use the warrior block to tie up the Mournfang it would mean one less thing I had to worry about, with a bit of luck they might even be able to break the lone one.

10 vs 5 dice for magic and a 3D6 Light of Death does 5 wounds onto the Leadbelchers (I figured they were dead anyway because of the Stalkers and I needed Dessication to be stopped if the Knights got an over run into the Ogres). Protection augments the large Knight unit whilst every dispel dice is thrown at Dessication prevents it from taking hold of the Ogres. The Catapult scatters from the MFC whilst the Stalkers light up the remaining Leadbelchers who drop to dust (20 hits, 1 misfire doing 2 wounds to Stalkers).

In combat the Knights only manage a poor 2 wounds against the MFC and take 3 in return denying the breakthrough. In a display of ferocity the Sabretusk puts 2 wounds onto the Knights before succumbing to wounds and the Knights sieze the opportunity and over run allowing them to charge into the Ogres rear. They put 2 wounds onto the Firebelly, a single wound onto the unit before the Necrosphinx cleaves the unit champion in two (HKB!) and dishes out another wound to the unit. The Tyrant slaps the Knights for 5 wounds and the Firebelly engulfs the unit of knights with a fiery breath weapon for a mighty.....2 hits of which both are saved. The Ogres hold.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The general leaves the safety of his unit and solo charges the Knights. The BSB pushes the unit further into enemy territory whilst the MFC get ready to disable the Undeads magic superiority. The Knights put a single wound onto the Ogres whlist the Necrosphinx takes 2 wounds before dishing out another onto the Firebelly and 2 wounds onto the unit. The Tyrant fatigued by his display last round can only manage a single wound onto the Knights preventing their destruction for a turn. The Ogres hold. The general takes a single wound from the Knights before dishing out 5 wounds plus 1 for an impact hit and the unit turns to dust.

Turn 5 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Skeleton Warriors charge at the lone MFC. The Magic phase is 8 vs 6 and right away the threat of a 4D6 light of death is stopped by the Ogres whilst a 3D6 Dessication hits the Ogres in combat with the Necrosphinx. The Stalkers are just in range of the MFC and turn them to dust courtesy of another 16 hits to the unit. The Undead archery account for another 3 wounds stacked onto the BSB's unit killing an Ogre. The Tyrant managed to drop the remaining Knight whilst all attention focuses on the Necrosphinx.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Ogres charge into the Stalkers, Mournfang into the Casket and the Tyrant leads the charge with his former unit into the Skeleton Archers. Combats are quick and brutal with the Tyrant and Ogres mauling the skeletons and over runs 9" and the Ogres 5" forward. The Ogres take no casualties from the Stalkers and manage to drop one. The Necrosphinx cuts down the Firebelly and remaining Ogre leaving only the Tyrant to face the construct. However the MFC assaulting the Casket suffer a different fate. Whilst the casket guard are no match for the MFC, the cascading explosion rips through the MFC killing one instantly and sending the other fleeing from the battlefield. The unleashed souls then rip through the nearby Horse Archers before turning their attention onto the Tyrant for 2 wounds, killing the lone MFC and tearing 5 skeleton warriors apart before vanishing.

Turn 6 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Warriors charge into the Tyrant. 6 vs 4 is the magic dice and Dessication hits the Tyrant whilst dice are saved to get rid of protection onto the Skeleton Warriors. The Stalkers do a single wound onto the Ogres for another 2 in return whilst the Necrosphinx once again displays an eerie skill at arms hitting the Tyrants vitals and soaking the desert floor in liquid crimson (5 to hit, 6 to wound with the HKB shot!). The Skeleton Champion challenges the Tyrant and although he's cut down its not done in an overwhelming fashion and the Tyrant loses his nerve and barrels out of the combat fleeing 11" with the Undead hot on his tail (9").

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Tyrant keeps running 3" whilst the Ogres can't quite cut down the Stalkers.

Result - Draw

Conclusion to follow.

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 148 - 12/01/15

#1044 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats more like it! The multiple small units of archers is an interesting concept, I'd love to give it a try when I get the basics right. The souls released from the Casket were really hungry - a fitting end to a brutal battle! =D>
cheers, Lee

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1045 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Great games, Jimmy! As you know I am still trying to comment on the first one but I will get back to any of yours eventually. I will try to copy the posts from OS when I finish the comments.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Jimmy
Centurion

#1046 Post by Jimmy »

149.Ogre Kingdoms vs. Legion of Chaos
=================================

Quick catch up game with my brother. Who turned up with the intention of running Glotkin. Oh dear.

Overview
--------
Date played: Saturday, 17 January 2015

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T1) Tyrant
- Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm, Talisman of Preservation
(T2) Tyrant
- Great Weapon, Glittering Scales, Talisman of Endurance
(B) Bruiser
(F) Firebelly
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire
(O1) 7 Ogres
- Full Command, Ironfists
(O2) 4 Ogres
- Ironfists, Musician, Standard
(O3) 3 Ogres
(O4) 3 Ogres
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk
(MC3) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(I) Ironblaster
(L) 4 Leadbelchers
- Musician

The usual list for me with no changes.

Legion of Chaos
---------------
(G) Glotkin
- Lore of Nurgle (Miasma, Fleshy Abundance, Rancid Visitations, Curse of the Leper)
(EH) Exalted Hero
- BSB, Mark of Nurgle, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon
(CoN) Chariot of Nurgle
(CH1) 5 Chaos Hounds
(CH2) 5 Chaos Hounds
(WoN) 18 Warriors of Nurgle
- FC, Halberd, Shields, Banner of Discipline, Mark of Nurgle
(GCoN) Gorebeast Chariot of Nurgle
(BK) 10 Blight Kings
- Full Command
(MHoS1) 5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh
- Flails, Javelins
(MHoS2) 5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh
- Flails, Javelins

Key matchups for me were simple, drop the Dogs and Marauders giving me clear lines of advancement and tackle the blocks. Chariots would targets for the Ironblaster disallowing them to support the infantry block. once again I was worried about the magic against a level 4 but would try to stop the spells that would upset me the most. The only way I had to break Glotkin was in combat with 12 wounds and regen he wasn't going to drop very quickly from a cannon shot.

Deployment
----------

Legion get +1 and get the first turn.

Turn 1 - Legion of Chaos
------------------------

Magic phase is 3 vs 2 and Curse of the Leper targeting my Ogres fails. Javelins produce no damage.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Mournfang charge the chaos hounds who flee but the MFC trot 5" forward. Ironblaster targets Glotkin (much to my stupidity as there was a wall in front) however I roll a 1 to wound. Leadbelchers manage to drop a pair of Slaanesh Marauders.

Turn 2 - Legion of Chaos
------------------------

The Chaos Hounds continue to flee 12". The magic phase is a 6 vs 3 and Reign of Chaos sticks 2 wounds to my main Ogre block. Curse of the Leper grants the Blight Kings +2T and Fleshy Abundance goes onto them aswell. Lore Attribute kicks in making Glotkin T7 and 13 wounds.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Ogres charge the hounds however come up short moving 3". Magic phase allows me to throw 6 Dice at Fireball and that squeezes in a single wound on Glotkin. 12 to go! The Ironblaster splinters the Chariot as the Leadbelchers mince the Chaos Hounds.

Turn 3 - Legion of Chaos
------------------------

The Hounds rally. 10 vs 6 for magic, Rancid Visitations does 5 wounds onto the Leadbelchers. A powered up Fleshy Abundance is attempted by my scroll

prevents this.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The MFC charge the Horsemen. MFC attempt to charge the Gorebeast however 5" putters them along. The MFC and Ogres and Tyrant charge the Warriors of Nurgle however and all hit home. The Ironblaster drops 2 Blight Kings and the Leadbelchers completing the rank of destruction. 5 Warriors of Nurgle drop from impact hits, the Tyrant (general) pulps the Champion with 3 wounds in a challenge, the Ogre Crusher takes 2 wounds and after all the deaths only the unit standard and BSB remain for the Warriors and it's not enough to prevent them from getting cut down on the spot. The Ogres crash forth into Glotkin, whilst the MFC hits the Gorebeast and the lone Tyrant reforms to face the Blight Kings.

Turn 4 - Legion of Chaos
------------------------

The Blight Kings charge into the Tyrant. Magic phase is 8 vs 4 and Rot Glorious Rot strikes down and Ogre and his comrades flee. Miasma goes IF on the Blight Kings as Glotkin gains another power up from the Lore Attribute taking him to a comfortable Toughness 8 and 13 wounds. 2 Power dice are lost from the pool allowing me to dispel Curse of the Leper onto the Blight Kings. The Tyrant challenges the champion and dies swiftly. The Tyrant holds the combat. The MFC only manage a single wound onto the GBC and take 4 in return but onces again their nerve holds. The unhealthy looking Ogre Crusher meets his doom on the end of Glotkins many limbs and the block of Ogres holds fast.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The MFC rush into the Horsemen whilst the remaining MFC team up with the Ogres and Ironblaster to take the fight to the Blight Kings. The Blight Kings manage to cut down a single Ogre and wound the Tyrant but the Ogres do enough damage and only 4 Blight Kings remain. They break and flee and the Tyrant and Ogres catch the unit.

The MFC takes another wound from the GBC and holds.

The Tyrant steps forth to take the challenge from Glotkin and takes only 2 wounds thanks to armour and wards, no wounds back however the combat resolution and no more BSB breaks Glotkin and he is cut down as the Chaos Hounds break.

Turn 5 - Legion of Chaos
------------------------

The Hounds rally. The MFC does a single wound.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Double MFC charge into the GBC and it shatters on impact hits.

Result - Ogres Kingdoms victory.

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 149 - 17/01/15

#1047 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Congratulations on the victory! It was definitely a duel between heavy weight champions! :)

What are your first impressions on Glottkin and Blight Knights (I believe it is the first time you encountered these in the game) ?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

RE.Lee

#1048 Post by RE.Lee »

Wow, not often do you see Nurgle armies take such a pounding! Glottkin is no Karl Franz, apparently, 12W just isn't enought these days :lol:
cheers, Lee

Jimmy
Centurion

#1049 Post by Jimmy »

I think who wrote the rules for the Blight Kings was in possession of non prescription drugs and taking way too many. They are infantry not monstrous infantry and that's a problem, I was stomping them and the cannon did some damage. Seems silly and should be FAQ'ed in my opinion.

Glotkin is interesting, my brother needs to use his chaos characters as single units and support characters, not back field defenders, had Glotkin got into combat with something else and that something else would have tied up the challenge it would have been hulk smash.

X-wing Blog
Loriel

#1050 Post by Loriel »

Gz for the victory. I don't have any end of times book (nor I am not very fond of the idea and currently stick with good old fashioned 8th ;) ), but it seems extremely odd that Glottkin wouldn't be unbreakable?
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame