Special Chars Allowed Tournament! My List 2000

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Baerion

Special Chars Allowed Tournament! My List 2000

#1 Post by Baerion »

Eltharion on Stormwing - 490 (Death Mage)
Level 2 Mage with Folariath's Robes - 180 (Life/High/Shadow)?
Noble - Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix - 168

10 Archers - 110
10 Archers - 110
29 Spearmen FC - 286

17 White Lions FC (Flame Banner, Amulet of Light) - 310
14 Sword Masters FC (Ironcurse Icon) - 245

2 Great Eagles - 100

1999 Total Points

I have always wanted to play Eltharion and there is finally a tournament allowing specials. Hopefully with lore of death I can spirit leech and maybe Bjuna of Laniph some characters, war machines maybe too. Otherwise if I roll purple sun I'll think about keeping it and flying onto a flank. Hopefully these spells will give me some extra dice to play with. The level 2 is in the white lions or swords giving them 5+ regen and preferably +2T or Regrowth or something. I thought about high for the 5+ save again and maybe curse of arrow, flames, or fury of khaine preferably.

I could take Teclis in 2000 points, but no thanks. Would rather not get kicked in the nuts. I feel like Eltharion is a character with a lot of background but whose rules aren't broken or over the top. Plus I want to paint my IoB griffon rider! The rest of the army is made up of some more models that I want to get painted (IoB SM's and new WL's). I am hoping to be fairly competitive but sounds like a pretty "fun" tournament so I won't be getting too serious.

My hopes from the minds of Ulthuan.
A - Thoughts on how to use Eltharion to be most effective/efficient with him.
B - Are the elite infantry units too small? Shoudl I just go with one and add some more support like a chariot or some DP's?
C - Do I need the Banner of Sorcery to have an effective magic phase?
D - Should I plan on hanging back with the level 2 and give him a defensive item instead (Annulian, Sigil, Trickster's Pendant)
E - Thoughts on the magic items on the Special unit command?
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
f00ssa

Re: Special Chars Allowed Tournament! My List 2000

#2 Post by f00ssa »

Well, you've only got 4 spells so while Banner of Sorcery might help I wouldn't consider it necessary.
huesofblue

#3 Post by huesofblue »

Another way of looking at that is that there are plenty of lists containing Archmagi with +4 to cast and also 4 spells (builds w/o SW), where BoS would be considered high priority/necessary.

With Eltharion and a lvl 2, there are 2 lvl 2 mages with +2 to cast and also 4 spells.

Would the BoS then not be even more helpful than in a Archmage list w/o SW?

Advocating BoS aside, just an idea influenced by Seredain's list:
- drop: 4 spears, SMs, BoEF
- take: 9 SH w shields + champ/mus and give the BSB Helm of Fortune and a barded steed and put him with the SHs, give the archers musicians/LA (meeting core), add JotD (total 2000 pts)

This way u get a little more magical punch, a more mobile/hardier force with better force concentrating/flanking capability (SHs/BSB could double as an anvil in a pinch I suppose, 3 less wounds with far more armor, and would keep up better with Eltharion) albeit with poorer hammer capability. Improved archer hardiness/mobility, making them better CC supports if push comes to shove. Lose flaming attacks though. (could always drop LA from an arche runit)

.....of course, if you want to paint SMs and field them... :D
Baerion

#4 Post by Baerion »

Some good comments. I think I'm going to pass on the Silver Helm idea. If I had 9 of them painted up I might consider it, but at this point I'd rather paint the SM's even if they are going to die quicker. You make a good point about having something with the same speed as Eltharion. Hopefully I can find some positions for him to bunker down and cast without fear of being charged/shot until backup arrives.

I really do want to get the banner of sorcery in the list. I think it might be necessary especially those phases where I roll really poorly for the winds of magic and need all the dice I can get. If I can make the core minimum I may see if I can drop something there in order to fit it in. Otherwise I might consider dropping some SM's.

I only have two sets of the IoB set so I'm either going to have to come up with a unit filler for my SM's or just use the SB and musician and some old metals. We'll see what I can come up with. Maybe just dropping a few of them is the way to go since I don't have the models anyway.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
amoronspeaking

#5 Post by amoronspeaking »

Depends on who you're playing against. Eltharion can hit any core unit in the flank and rip them up without real fear, the 5+ ward, 3+ armour, and likilyhood you will end up in a challenge is great... then you have 4 str 6 hits (ini 8 so rerollable 95% of the time, with no armour allowed), 4 str 5 and d6 str 5 thunderstomp to get the 5 over kill.... risking a couple hits on your griffon. I don't even see most elite units making it after that. I use Eltharion for Cav hunting. The griffon is higher ini too than most. no armor saves, against eltharion, and the thunderstomp... so 3.5 auto hits... usually wounding on 2 or 3 plus... ^_^

Basically my entire point there is... bunkering him is silly. Set him up for a solo charge on those cav models with those lances that cant touch him without the charge bonus ^_^