Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Scarano

Re: Monthly Painting Challenge - June

#31 Post by Scarano »

I didn't think Think this through, 2 weeks out of the month in Spain, really isn't helping my painting efforts.
Although, it is making look forward to getting back to my hobby desk.
My Blog: [url]www.wargamingmywaytoahappierlife.blogspot.co.uk[/url]

Records:
High Elves: W= 3 L= 0 D= 0 Bare with me I'm new to this
Ogre Kingdoms: W= 1 L= 0= 0
Jimmy
Centurion

#32 Post by Jimmy »

I don't want to raise any alarm bells but I've actually been painting this week! :shock:
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Rexhavoc

#33 Post by Rexhavoc »

Update on Savage Orcs commission.
I actually pulled it off. 30 Savage Orcs in less than 2 weeks. I went a little different direction with the totem standard. I like it better than the GW paint scheme for it. Let me know what you think of the paint job and basing
Nyeave

#34 Post by Nyeave »

Ok I need to know how you did all the green in such a short time. My personal way of painting orc skin to something resembling that standard consists of 5 layers...
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Rexhavoc

#35 Post by Rexhavoc »

Nyeave wrote:Ok I need to know how you did all the green in such a short time. My personal way of painting orc skin to something resembling that standard consists of 5 layers...
Sure. The skin was the quickest part for me since I did it 1st and could be messy about it. It only took me a day to get through all 30. It went fast because I used a very large drybrush to apply the layers rather than painting on layers one muscle at a time. I layered with drybrushing all the way up to Ushabti Bone (cream) which was overly light then I washed the models with a generous amount of green shade. It deepens the shadows, gets rid of any brush strokes or lines of demarcation, and tints the cream colored highlights green. The colors I used:
- Waaagh Flesh - base coat. Threw it in my airbrush to speed up the application
- Warboss Green -went fast with a large drybrush - added some water to the paint to cut down on chalkiness
- skarsnik Green - used a medium drybrush and a more controlled application
- Ushabti Bone - very small amount on raised areas and the faces - overbrush with a thin mix.
- Biel-Tan Shade - generous single layer wash head to toe - blends everything nicely.

The shadows, highlights and definition came out a little more prominent in real life than the pics show. The lighting washed out some of the detail. I too have painted Orcs with about 6 layers on the skin and it took forever. I compared these orcs to a warboss I had done and I actually liked the look of the rushed drybrush/wash method better. The layer blending on the warboss was so smooth it almost had a rubber suit look to it when compared to a more textured look from the dry brushing which was much more realistic and eye catching.
RE.Lee

#36 Post by RE.Lee »

I've made some progress on the Dragon Princes. Horses are finished. Most bases colours are done on the riders.

cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Rexhavoc

#37 Post by Rexhavoc »

Nice job Lee. They are looking great so far. I like the color scheme.
Jimmy
Centurion

#38 Post by Jimmy »

Wowzers, rex how many hours a day were you painting on average over the two week period?

Nice DP's Doc.

X-wing Blog
Rexhavoc

#39 Post by Rexhavoc »

Jimmy wrote:Wowzers, rex how many hours a day were you painting on average over the two week period?

Nice DP's Doc.
Lots. Pretty much every night after work until 12-1am plus all day Sat and Sunday. On a couple of days I worked from home and painted while on conference call meetings :)
I won't be doing that again. It was a one time thing to help out a good friend. It was too much and the wife was ready to kill me.
Jimmy
Centurion

#40 Post by Jimmy »

I've got to be honest mate I was hoping for some horror story you just posted. Makes me feel like an adequately 'normal' painter. Still that's an incredible effort you've done and your friend is extremely lucky to have someone so dedicated to be able to put in the ground work to ensure the deadline was met - incredible work sir. =D>

Second unit of 6 Leadbelchers complete!

Happy family portrait:

X-wing Blog
Rexhavoc

#41 Post by Rexhavoc »

Nice work Jimmy! Like the Theme on those leadbelchers. Got any closeups with brighter lighting? You're paint job looks awesome from there though.
Teledor

#42 Post by Teledor »

Great work everyone! Love Orcs especially. Something we don't see all too often.

As for my challenge - um. Yeah. Not gonna happen this month. World Cup and a general malaise for painting struck me down thoroughly.

On a side note, I bought some Hirst Arts molds to make some buildings and terrain I plan for a table in the somewhat near future.
Gryphon

#43 Post by Gryphon »

Great works all around here! To get all those savages done so fast and to such a nice standard certainly is VERY impressive! :o

I myself am in a bit of a situation. I haven't been as productive as I'd hoped over the last week.. Soo, it's gonna be a rough night tonight if I am to get my pledge done until tomorrow #-o

Where I'm at right now:

Jimmy
Centurion

#44 Post by Jimmy »

Reavers are looking great!

X-wing Blog
Rexhavoc

#45 Post by Rexhavoc »

Nice work guys. I'm interested to see how the terrain comes out

Those Reavers are beautiful. Very clean work. Great blending and color scheme. What did you use for the armor? Light brass? I may need to shamelessly steal that armor scheme ;)
Gryphon

#46 Post by Gryphon »

Thanks guys! Going strong with the painting frenzy here.. I hope I can finish this in time! :shock:

Wip update:

Rexhavoc, I will take that as a very nice compliment and you may certainly steal the idea :) The armour is done with boltgun metal, chainmail and then a gryphonne sepia wash (still using my old paints), simple as that! For more pics you can check my plog that should now appear in my signature :)
Gryphon

#47 Post by Gryphon »

Aaand done! Sort of.. and two hours late local time (Sweden), oh the shame! :shock: The bases need some static grass and a few areas could use some touch-ups, but all in all I am very happy with how they came out.

Results below :)

I think I need some sleep now..
Rexhavoc

#48 Post by Rexhavoc »

Hey it was still the 30th in the US. I think that counts as making the end of the month :)
Strong finish man. Those Reavers look great. The Brass looks perfect on them. Something unique that stands them out from the rest of the silver and gold of our army. You have me pumped to get my two units of Reavers painted up. Vallejo air makes an incredible light brass metallic color that I've been dying to try. Of course washed in the sepia like u suggested would be perfect. Hopefully they come out half as good as yours.
Gratz man!
Findolfin

#49 Post by Findolfin »

Well, I completely failed.

I was still busy after that water leak and relocated my workplace in the house.
I was able to create a room to actually fit a 4 x 8 table which I hope will give me a renewed motivation to get my painting going.

Also, while not warhammer painting, I did still achieve some work and painting outside the house.
I constructed that fence and replaced the front stairs, and did the paint with my wife.

I tought I would show a picture of the paint job, technically it is still painting :lol:
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."
Rexhavoc

#50 Post by Rexhavoc »

Lol. You'll get em next month man. Nice suit of plate armor by the way. Very cool.
Rybon66

#51 Post by Rybon66 »

Here is the finish up of May and June.

I wish I had any ability to free hand.
Last edited by Rybon66 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunday is for Warhammer
Rexhavoc

#52 Post by Rexhavoc »

Hey gratz on completing your June pledge! Nice job!
Question, are you thinning your paints or just painting right out of the pot?
I like the non-traditional color scheme. I always appreciate unique spins on our army.
Rybon66

#53 Post by Rybon66 »

I have been thinning the Green which is about 3 coats. The blue is a combo of thinning and out of the pots. I am still learning techniques. I have been watching videos on painting during my lunch break. I will never be on the caliber of most of the painters here, but it is fun to try. Thanks on the color scheme, I just could not bring myself to paint white. Even when I thin I can never seem to get white or yellow to look right.
Sunday is for Warhammer
Rexhavoc

#54 Post by Rexhavoc »

Rybon66 wrote:I have been thinning the Green which is about 3 coats. The blue is a combo of thinning and out of the pots. I am still learning techniques. I have been watching videos on painting during my lunch break. I will never be on the caliber of most of the painters here, but it is fun to try. Thanks on the color scheme, I just could not bring myself to paint white. Even when I thin I can never seem to get white or yellow to look right.
There are some amazing painters on this site but don't sell yourself short. You're off to a great start! It looks like the paints you are using may be too thick from the pot. If you thin them out a bit you will get rid of any chunkiness. Especially with the metallics. :)
Rychek
Location: Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like!

#55 Post by Rychek »

Rychek wrote:Ok, so I've been procrastinating this for fourteen months now, so I pledge to paint one Frostheart Phoenix.
I failed miserably. I got a base coat of blue on it, but that is it. On to the next pledge thread!
Rychek: he who has not an Asur name.
Peepster1976

#56 Post by Peepster1976 »

april/may/June challenge finally finished!!!

More pics on my Plog
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&start=30
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
NexS

#57 Post by NexS »

Peepster1976 wrote:april/may/June challenge finally finished!!!

More pics on my Plog
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&start=30
Lovely. I'm not sure about the purple on the dragon (for my own tastes), but well executed. I'm gonna have a squizz for some other pics of this one!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]