first 2000k list for home tourney

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

dYz

first 2000k list for home tourney

#1 Post by dYz »

Hi

here is my first try at a 2000k list, any comments are more than welcome. I'm not sure if the noble goes with spears or joins the AM in the PG. I will be up against O&G, Bretts and TK. if anyone has a good advice against them.

1 Archmage @ 350P
General; Magic Level 4
Talisman of Saphery
Folaraith's Robe
Silver Wand

26 Phoenix Guard @ 470P FC
Banner of Sorcery
AM goes here

1 Noble @ 160P
GW
Battle Standard
Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix

39 First SpearElves @ 385P FC

14 Archers @ 159P
Musician

6 Dragon Princes @ 190.0 Pts
Musician

12 White Lions @ 186P
Musician

2 Great Eagle @ 100

Total 2000

/dYz
sillen

Re: first 2000k list for home tourney

#2 Post by sillen »

well, i think it looks just fine. only pointer i got is that u do field 44 points more core than necessary so if u got another 2 white lions i would have rather taken them and removed a couple of archers or 3 spears. i use to field my wl's in 7x2 formation since u can at almost all times get 7 in base contact and then remove another spearman to get a banner of eternal flame for 10 pts, flaming attacks (panic vs cavalry) burns regen save from hydras and other nasty things. i use to put them on my white lions (monster killers) or archers to cause panic tests on cavalry. good luck :) btw what lore are u planning on taking?
Alea iacta est
dYz

#3 Post by dYz »

many thanks for the comments. I'll cut down on the core and add a few WL.

I will take either Light or Shadow. I haven't decided on whether i'll buff my own or hex the enemy.

/dYz
Thatguyoverthere

#4 Post by Thatguyoverthere »

Well, I think you could decrease the phoenix guard a bit and put those points into more spear elves or more white lions. 20 phoenix guard and 18 (6x3) white lions sounds about right. 18 white lions makes them a bit harder hitting and lets them live longer too.

I think life would probably be your best bet if you're trying to keep your units alive. However, I've played shadow and if you can reach the casting cost that lore will change the game for you.

Bretonnians
I play against them all the time with skaven and once their momentum has petered out... you've got it. Just beware the life prophetess because she will destroy your units if she gets the dwellers spell. Try and stall them with eagles and then get combo charges with your other units. They have really good armor too so be careful. Or, you could send the eagles after trebuchets because those hurt you the most.

Against O&G, I would try to kill their characters if possible. They'll be up front which is great, but that's where all of their magic lies. White lions should be able to cleave through them. Kill their wizards! Other than that, it's going to be a game of maneuvering and trying to kill their support units. You can kill 30 orcs or goblins, beware the trolls, squigs and chariots. If he packs warmachines you'll have to use your eagles to take those out.

Tomb kings
You're an elf so any decent magic phase roll should see you win out with the +1 to dispell. You have high leadership so the fear and casket won't damage you much. Try to get your spearmen into combat with skeletons because you'll most likely win that combat.

Good luck and let me know what you think!
theduskiestelf

#5 Post by theduskiestelf »

I'll just throw in my 2/100ths of a dollar about the TK and Brettonians...

TK- Absolutely get into combat with 'em, any one of your units will stomp any one or two(!) of his, especially with that crumble rule, or whatever they call it. The skull catapult is annoying, but easy to take out... Oh, and im pretty sure our fighty characters can womp theirs, but i've only fought and killed 2 fighty-ish TK characters, so im really not sure about that one.

Brettonians- Just be a good sport and tell the guy it'll be better when the brettonians get a new army book. 8)
Thatguyoverthere

#6 Post by Thatguyoverthere »

I wouldn't discount either army just yet. A well designed, well played TK list took 3rd in a tournament I played in a while back. I've also never been able to beat my bretonnian buddy with my skaven... their ward saves are amazing. 2+/5+ is about the best High Elf CHARACTERs can hope to get. Every knight gets it (and a big block of peasants with magic items) in Bretonnia.

Really, white lions with a flaming banner will destroy your opponent's characters though. Or, you could put it on dragon princes. Double wounds for flamable means a dead guy pretty quickly. I could see you taking out the king pretty easily and the priests even easier if he lets you get to it. That's about the best way to go, killing his characters makes his army crumble.

Bretonnia... I don't have anything for them. Your dragon princes can probably go toe to toe with them if they get the charge, but they're going to be steadfast. If he has pegasus knights you're kind of screwed unless you can magic them away...
dYz

#7 Post by dYz »

thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I'll decrease the number of PGs and increase the WLs. I guess I'll end up taken light magic.

I think the brett will bring pegasus knights, at least i know he has before. I'll take the advise into consideration when making my battle plan.

/dYz
Thatguyoverthere

#8 Post by Thatguyoverthere »

I apologize about the negativity on my last post about Pegasus Knights, haha. Here's the thing about PK, they get a vanguard move, have 2 wounds, T4, a 2+ or 3+ save, str 6 on the charge and get a stomp attack. They're pretty sweet. Combined with flying they are a great asset for brettonia and if they weren't so hard to assemble/rank up I would think any player would take 6 of them.

So, you have to hit them with something that can get rid of them. They'll take care of archers, bolt throwers, spearmen or most support units no problem. The only things in your list that could take them out quickly (so as not to be tied up all game) are the white lions, your archmage depending on what spells he gets and maybe the phoenix guard. They kick my skaven's but all the time because they just fly away from how I plan to deal with them.

They are a definitive reason as to why bolt throwers are still viable. However, it can work with what you've got too :)