A New Blog

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: A New Blog

#451 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:It looks like it was stolen very recently. It's still pretty clean and looks like it might actually work...
Looks great.
Thanks Rod.
Prince of Spires wrote: Things like pit of shades or purple sun will definitely wreck your unit. Make sure to bring your scroll
Absolutely. Convocation and 3d6 Fireball are bad enough.
Prince of Spires wrote:A unit of 12 will work. You could also consider 10 in a 4-4-2 formation. It gives you 9 wounds before you lose attacks and 12 before you lose the ranks bonus. It's less awesome than having 12, but it's still serviceable. A bit of a budget option.
My current draft has 11.

:)
Prince of Spires wrote:The horde can work. And I think at 3000pts, maneuvrability is less of an issue. Over 2500pts, battles become more "run at each other and fight" than lots of movement and strategies.
Solid point. Armies that rely on getting behind the enemy are going to find this more of a challenge.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#452 Post by SpellArcher »

Troll number 10:

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#453 Post by Elithmar »

SpellArcher wrote:My current draft has 11.
One more to paint then, or two just in case?

Lovely retro feel as always. The grassy base reminds me of my old battle mat. :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#454 Post by SpellArcher »

Elithmar wrote:Lovely retro feel as always. The grassy base reminds me of my old battle mat.
Thank you Eli.

Elithmar wrote:One more to paint then, or two just in case?
I’m scouting for the round dozen. Number 11:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#455 Post by Prince of Spires »

Lovely as always :) It's always great to see the effect you can achieve with a simple but well executed color scheme. The won't win any awards for best painted mini, but as a unit and an army they will look cohesive and have a great effect.

Just one more to go, though you've got enough for your list with 11 now :)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#456 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Lovely as always It's always great to see the effect you can achieve with a simple but well executed color scheme. The won't win any awards for best painted mini, but as a unit and an army they will look cohesive and have a great effect.
Thanks Rod.

Prince of Spires wrote:Just one more to go, though you've got enough for your list with 11 now
RE.Lee

#457 Post by RE.Lee »

Sweet Trolls there! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#458 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Sweet Trolls there!
Most kind RE.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#459 Post by SpellArcher »

More artillery crew:

TyrrenAzureblade

#460 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

These guys and those trolls are looking awesome! Definitely getting a very classic vintage feel, I love 'em! Let's get an army shot! Unless I've missed it in the previous posts somewhere?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#461 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:23 pm!
These guys and those trolls are looking awesome! Definitely getting a very classic vintage feel, I love 'em!
Thanks Tyrren.

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:23 pm Let's get an army shot!
This is imperfect but gives a general idea:

TyrrenAzureblade

#462 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Yessssss, that's the shot! What a great horde of greenies!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#463 Post by Elithmar »

They look great. =D> What's missing from the picture - the latest trolls, a couple of war machines, anything else?

And most importantly, what's next? :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#464 Post by Prince of Spires »

they look great. Though the artillery crew does look like I wouldn't trust them with anything. They'll probably sell it to the highest bidder and then bugger off to the pub instead of doing any actual fighting... ;)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Sturen

#465 Post by Sturen »

That is a proper retro army, looks fantastic! Only missing vintage goblin green around the bases :wink:

I love the desaturated green and the character you can get with those dark black lined shades!
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#466 Post by SpellArcher »

Thank you all!
Elithmar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:28 am What's missing from the picture
The other half of the wolf rider unit and the goblins on foot.
Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 am Though the artillery crew does look like I wouldn't trust them with anything.
I like to think of all my goblin artillery as 'borrowed'.
Sturen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 am the character you can get with those dark black lined shades!
After many years I know my limits but yes I find the technique generally effective.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#467 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:55 pm
Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 am Though the artillery crew does look like I wouldn't trust them with anything.
I like to think of all my goblin artillery as 'borrowed'.
It definitely looks that way. Though you should count yourself lucky that they kept some of those borrowed pieces. As I said, I wouldn't put it past them to simply sell it to the highest bidder, which might even be the army they borrowed the piece from...

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#468 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:15 pm It definitely looks that way. Though you should count yourself lucky that they kept some of those borrowed pieces. As I said, I wouldn't put it past them to simply sell it to the highest bidder, which might even be the army they borrowed the piece from...
I could easily see them stealing some from my Orcs and then selling it back to them.

:mrgreen:
Elithmar wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:28 am And most importantly, what's next?
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#469 Post by Elithmar »

They look pretty tough for their size. Especially that one in the centre - he looks like he could really put up a fight! :lol:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#470 Post by SpellArcher »

Elithmar wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 pm They look pretty tough for their size. Especially that one in the centre - he looks like he could really put up a fight!
He has a slight LOTR feel I reckon. Some more:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#471 Post by SpellArcher »

Battle Report

So last week I was kindly invited up to London by none other than Seredain of this forum. We spent a very agreeable day chatting and playing a game. My list was as follows:

Black Orc Warboss, Armour of Silvered Steel 4+ Ward 250
Orc Lvl 4, Opal Amulet, Earthing Rod 240

Orc BSB, 4+ Ward Armour, Great Weapon 134
Gitilla 110
Goblin Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll 115

26 Big'Uns, FC, Shields, +1 Ld Standard 284
20 Goblins, Shortbow, Musician 80
14 Orc Archers, FC 128
8 Wolf Riders, FC, Spear, Shortbow, Shield 134

11 Trolls 385
3 Bolt Shooters 105

2 Mangler Squigs 130
Stone Thrower 85
Doom Diver 80

4 Beasts of Nurgle

2500pts

The daemons were included as this game was partly preparation for the tournament Seredain is playing next weekend which permits Allies. The Cavalry Prince brought (I believe):

Prince, Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness 276
Archmage, High Magic, Lvl 4, 4+ Ward, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury 315

BSB, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Sword of Anti-heroes, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown 165
Noble, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Reaver Bow, Luckstone, Other Trickster's Shard 151

24 Archers, FC 270
11 Silver Helms, Shields, FC 283
5 Reavers, Spears and Bows 95

20 Phoenix Guard, FC, Razor Standard 375

4 RBT 280
Frostheart Phoenix 240
Eagle 50

2500pts

Thoughts?

Edit: Seredain's list amended per his clarifications.
MasterOfNone

#472 Post by MasterOfNone »

What lore did the HE bring?
It would be nice to see the battle report.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#473 Post by Elithmar »

Exciting. :)

Interesting to spot a couple of changes to Seredain’s list, at least from the version I can remember.

On lists alone I’d favour the HE. I don’t have huge experience against O&G, but I tend to think of them as a fairly good matchup for HE. If the war machines and magic have a good game, then the helms bus could be in trouble. Other than that, I think he controls the movement phase and gets the fights he wants, whereas you’ve got a difficult hand having to deal with the bus, phoenix guard, and phoenix.

Of course I could be completely wrong. :D Looking forward to reading about it.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#474 Post by Seredain »

Hi SA!

Indeed we had a good day. One slight correction: the second noble was as follows:

Noble - Lance, dragon armour, barded steed, Reaver Bow, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone, Other Trickster’s Shard - 176.

@MasterofNone - the lore I brought was High magic.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#475 Post by SpellArcher »

Your comments are much appreciated guys!
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:44 pm What lore did the HE bring?
Seredain wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am One slight correction: the second noble was as follows:

Noble - Lance, dragon armour, barded steed, Reaver Bow, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone, Other Trickster’s Shard - 176.

@MasterofNone - the lore I brought was High magic.
Edited!
Seredain wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am Indeed we had a good day
I confess to exhaustion by the time I reached home but it was worth it, thanks again dude!
Elithmar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am On lists alone I’d favour the HE. I don’t have huge experience against O&G, but I tend to think of them as a fairly good matchup for HE. If the war machines and magic have a good game, then the helms bus could be in trouble. Other than that, I think he controls the movement phase and gets the fights he wants, whereas you’ve got a difficult hand having to deal with the bus, phoenix guard, and phoenix.
I largely agree with you Eli. This is true even if I take better artillery, drop the fun wolf riders and (crucially) replace the Big'Uns with Savage Orcs. My Trolls can fight either of the PG or Silver Helms but my Orcs can't so much, lacking the 5+ Ward of the Savages really hurts. It would also have been very helpful against ranged attacks. Happily, the Beasts are so good that they pretty much counterbalance these problems. Nevertheless, I consider this a -1. I know that Seredain considers this assessment unhelpful because the match up is especially swingy (dice) but I still feel that on average the HIgh Elf player wins this one more often than the O&G, even were player skill equal.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#476 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with the assessment that the HE list feels a bit stronger. It has a few elements which are hard to deal with for the O&G list I think, while the HE list has a lot of tools to deal with the different strong units you have available.

Possibly the greatest issue for the HE list is that it only has 2 redirectors / disposable units. They can step on the manglers to take them out, but that would leave the trolls free to roam the field. Alternatively, they could block the trolls, which would keep a large part of your army in place, but then the manglers would be free to wreak havoc. I guess between magic and 4 RBT, they could deal with one or both of them, but it's more dicey...

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#477 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:56 amPossibly the greatest issue for the HE list is that it only has 2 redirectors / disposable units. They can step on the manglers to take them out, but that would leave the trolls free to roam the field. Alternatively, they could block the trolls, which would keep a large part of your army in place, but then the manglers would be free to wreak havoc. I guess between magic and 4 RBT, they could deal with one or both of them, but it's more dicey...
Interesting comment in the light of what happened Rod!

Spell Selection and Deployment

Seredain received Fiery Convocation, Apotheosis, Hand of Glory and I believe Soul Quench. My Orc Lvl 4 rolled Foot of Gork, Ere We Go and the two snipes. Goblin Shaman had the AP bestowing signature and the Magic Missile. My opponent won the roll-off and chose the side with the hill.

So Seredain has an RBT either side of the river to his left with his other two on the central hill. Big Bird and Little Bird are between RBT’s two and three. In front of these are the Archers, then Phoenix Guard (with Archmage) and Silver Helms with the remaining characters. Finally the Reavers. I had a bolt shooter close to each corner, with the third in the middle. Between these were the stone thrower and Doom Diver. Far left, my Orc archers are just behind the house, with the first Mangler to it’s right. The Goblins (with their Shaman) are pretty central on the baseline, fronted by the Trolls. To their right are the Big’Uns with all Orc characters. Behind the wood (obscured) is the second Mangler and then the Beasts. Rightmost we have Gitilla and his wolf riders.

Photos courtesy of Seredain, with thanks. Comments welcome!
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#478 Post by Seredain »

Well, I can explain my deployment.

SA put his war machines down early. So, I could deploy in such a way as to put impassible terrain in the way of some of the enemy war machines’ line of sight. Secondly, the piece of impassible splitting SA’s zone in two. They could anchor a flank on this piece, but it would make it harder to rush my archers if I deployed them on my left flank.

Archers, phoenix guard and helms with characters all deployed together in the middle of the table, for panic tests. The knights and guard would project an exclusion zone whilst I shot as much as I could.

Rod it’s a good spot noting my lack of redirectors. My archers were holding one flank but there were a lot of aggressive units to stop here and my right flank felt week with only reavers there to stop Gitila and his wood riders charging my bolt throwers. By the end of deployment, I wished my archers were on the right-hand side. I suppose this is the problem with splitting your bolt throwers between left and right.

I’d protected myself from some bolt throwers.
But I felt quite exposed against all the shooting plus Foot of Gork. This gave me an itchy trigger finger. But charging straight in with my knights would see them get surrounded by beasts and annihilated. I had little choice but to stand in line, protect my machines and win the shooting war.

Best,

S
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#479 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, it was a double-edged sword dropping my machines first. On the plus side they were in generally sensible places and they might make certain routes less attractive for Seredain’s forces. On the downside, careful moves on his part would avoid the worst of the bolt shooters’ fire.
Seredain wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:15 pm Secondly, the piece of impassible splitting SA’s zone in two.
This was a real pain. In the end I chose my side, with the concession that if the Orcs advanced, they’d be partly in the wood. I believed that would nerf Steadfast, must check that actually.

Overall I was content, though with more drops you would expect that. I agree about the slight overlap issue but Seredain did have flyers that could cover that to some extent.

Edit: Steadfast is only nerfed if the majority of the models are in the wood, less of an issue than I’d feared. Live and learn!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#480 Post by SpellArcher »

Turn One

The Wolf Riders Vanguarded first and came forward a few inches, the Reavers reciprocating. Despite Seredain’s +1, I won the roll-off and began. My cavalry raced forwards to threaten the High Elf flank. The Beasts advanced to the wood while the Big’Uns wheeled inwards slightly. Both Manglers made average-ish moves towards the centre. Instead of ransacking the house, my archers decided to punch each other. Trolls, Goblins and artillery stayed put.

Magic saw an Irresistible Foot of Gork kill some knights, incidentally removing a third of the Shaman’s unit. The Doom Diver killed more Helms while a bolt shooter put a wound on Seredain’s left-most RBT.