How has AoS done in your area?

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ielthan

How has AoS done in your area?

#1 Post by Ielthan »

Hey guys I was wondering how AoS has done in your areas? How has it affected the fantasy community or your gaming groups in general? Hoping to get a broader picture of how our little world has changed.

In the interest of transparency I should preface this by saying I am not a fan of AoS at all. But to each his/her own, people want/get different things from the hobby.

In my flgs, the fantasy community has 90% stopped showing up to club nights and have largely rejected the game. About 50% of them tried it and rejected it, the other 50% just quit on spec. Most have migrated to other systems, from rpg to sci-fi skirmish all the way to historical mass battle and everything in between. Many still have an interest in playing 8th/8.5/9th, but as something to wheel out now and again, not as their primary system.

For me personally it's made me seek out non-gw games in a way I never had before, and I've been pleasantly surprised. It's really opened my eyes, to buy into a gw game now, particularly at current prices, just seems madness given the alternatives.

Interestingly though there are people at my flgs playing AoS; almost all from the 40k community. However something that is very noticeable is that they are, how can I put it, the more socially maladjusted members of the 40k world, the store certainly smells like 'man' when they're in...

I've checked out the 40k nights and it seems almost like what fantasy nights used to be like, a lot of vets, decent level of play, lots of banter, looks fun. Except they're not playing 40k, they're playing 30k with forgeworld models. I've spoken to my flgs's owner and 40k sales are way down for him, as many in the community predicted the 40k players who've bought into AoS aren't spending more money, they're just buying different stuff.

Anyway what's happening in your communities? Are you playing AoS, are your friends? Are there new people playing? Have people fallen away? Have you looked at other systems? Are you spending more or less money on the hobby? Please share how your community has reacted to this and your own experiences.
Ladril Caledor

Re: How has AoS done in your area?

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Everyone in my group is still playing 8th. Nobody left. Age of Sigmar has been tried and dismissed. We may consider something like 9th age at some point, but we are happy with 8th for now.
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

In my local group not a single 8th battle is fought after sigmar. I have played couple in UB though.

One of my gaming club friend is truly "thankfull" for AoS as he thinks that it fixed all the "stupidity" from whfb. Like he never couldn't imagine how reavers could turn a huge unit of rats away, even though I always tried to explain it that in cinematic sense it means that some of the rats are still "standing" where they are, some are chasing the reavers that are doing this taunting and the idea that the box is now giving rear/flank and is hard to move represent idea that the rats are disarray and when they get charged perhaps some of them "cinematically" simple lost nerve and don't fight back etc. And in real life hussars did exactly this. Small horseman unit managed to outplay bigger formations by subterfuge and trickstery. Atleast that is my point of view.

But overall I don't know exact number but he has played prolly 5+ games

I have played 3 (+1 test game in UB) sigmar games my self and I think that it is a great game IF, and I say IF in capital (capital letters) both players are really casual in mind and simple comes in and places the models in board and start tossing dices. I don't drink alcohol my self, but this is a game that can and should be played with beer glasses and chatting with your opponent about normal everyday subjects ;)

Thing what I like most about it (2 of them were against brand new player) that it is so easy to teach and just go and play. Compared to 8th (eventhough I think i am a good teacher) it was a really hard and long process and takes usually couple games for the new comer to get most of the stuff. With sigmar the stuff is absorbed by turn 3 and then it changes directly to "tactical & strategy" gaming rather than learning mechanic gaming, My hope is that it could be used as "softer" entry game for 8th...
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Andrew_uk

#4 Post by Andrew_uk »

Well in my area there are three different play spaces. The games club, the store and home.

The games club is more of a veteran crowd - most of them had turned off G/W a long time ago and gone for games like warmachine. Of the ones that are left they have now gone for kings of war. I've watched some of their games and it looks interesting but I tend to spend my time at the club boardgaming. (I always used to flit between the two, but hadn't really done much Warhammer since the release of 8th)

Then the store. I've popped in twice since AoS. It looks desolate. The store manager is still saying he thinks AoS is the best system he's ever played but you can tell he doesn't believe it and he looks like he's at a point of despair. On the occasion I actually did see other people in there they were playing AoS (Goblins vs the sigmarines), both players were about 12-14. I asked them what they thought of it seeing as this was GWs target market; turns out even they didn't like the silly rules and thought GW was trying to treat them as kids, but they seemed accepting of this being the new ruleset.

Then home. My brother and I have played a modified version of 7th since 2010 when 8th was released. We like it but nowadays were lucky if we get 2 games a year as we both live a long way apart. We have no desire to play AoS.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Orchaldor

#5 Post by Orchaldor »

For my group of gaming friends, AoS has killed any urgency in playing Fantasy-type games. Overall I think we would be happy to keep playing 8th, but our problem is that one of my mates plays Beastmen as his primary army, and another plays Skaven, both of which have wonky 7th Ed rule books. That is probably our biggest frustration with GW, that they killed WHFB without even finishing 8th Ed.

A couple of my friends have tried AoS, they reported that it was fun enough in its own right, but was just a "mash everything together and chuck dice at it" sort of thing.

Some of us have investigated Kings of War, it seems alright as a system (if more simplistic than WHFB) but what impresses us most about Mantic is the attitude of the company - friendly, open to interaction with players. The comparison to GW and their paranoid cloak and dagger policy is almost painful.

For the time being, our focus is moving towards 40k (with a couple of house rules regarding wound allocation and charges). If we go back to Fantasy, it will be a tweaked 8th to update Beasts and Skaven, and sort out a couple of the things that really bug us (like super-accurate cannons and the balance of some parts of the magic system).

As a group, we've spent far too much money to just abandon our armies, the question is what we do with them. All I know is that it is extremely unlikely to be AoS.
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm still playing 8th with my friends, experimenting with some house rules like combined profiles for monster (works well so far). I might think about introducing some for of 9th age if we get bored. Nobody is even considering Age of Sigmar. Haven't seen it played over at GW, apart from a demo game when it was launched, though I don't go there much.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Original Dragon Prince

#7 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

It's picking up at my store. Our group had gotten tired of 8th edition due to the static "some chaff and all the points denial you can cram into your list" meta. All but two members have tried it and one of the two is leaning towards trying it.

It absolutely needs comp, but so did 8th edition and so does 40k. Right now we're using the point system from http://www.aospoints.com and experimenting with others. As soon as we agree on a comp system we're going to start a league.

We're also getting some new players who had looked at fantasy before but were discouraged by entry cost. One big selling point is that the older starter sets now contain more than enough models for a complete army.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

I play on the UK tourney scene and the big guns here have got behind AoS with serious comp. 8th retains a lot of grass roots support though.

At the moment tickets are selling equally well for events with both.
Teledor

#9 Post by Teledor »

It's getting more traction at my LGS. I'm participating in a league with the same group of guys who I had participated in the 8th edition leagues. They've heavily comped and tested a system that seems to make AoS work well enough.

The sentiment tends to be "it's a new system so it's entertaining" because the 8th was getting a bit stale.

Unfortunately the 8th doesn't seem to be staying alive. Which is kind of sad.

I've only played two games against the same opponent - who wasn't using league comp while I was using league comp - but I have not had a positive experience with AoS. The games seem to take longer, summoning seems broken even with comp, magic (one of my favorite phases in the 8th) has been gutted, and combat seems to be a mess. I'm just not buying the AoS line of "easy to learn, tough to master" nonsense. I'm doing the league to give it a proper go, but I'm seriously thinking of either just storing all my models for the near future or selling them. It's depressing.
Bolt Thrower

#10 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I've become completely unengaged from the game and thus the hobby. While my playtime was already fairly minimal, I made an effort to get to the store on release day and play some and then a few weeks later ratchet up to a bit larger game. At first, I had mixed feelings that trended toward hopeful, but after the larger game I just felt like so much of what I loved about the game was stripped away or unrecognizable (like magic).

So, I've studied up a lot more on X-Wing to scratch the miniature itch and have recently been researching a ton of board games--ones that I can also play solo in particular.

There seemed to be a decent acceptance at the store in the first few weeks, but since I haven't made a trip in to the store since then, I can't speak to the current state. That said, several of the local gaming group stays in touch on Facebook and it doesn't really look like any of them have been moved off 40K or Warmachine.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Morgen

#11 Post by Morgen »

The FLGS has sold 1 box of AoS as of last week, and that was one of the owners so they could put them together for display purposes.

At present we're working on developing something new to replace Warhammer in stages. 7th edition is looking a lot more attractive then 8th.
Andrew_uk

#12 Post by Andrew_uk »

Morgen wrote:The FLGS has sold 1 box of AoS as of last week, and that was one of the owners so they could put them together for display purposes.

At present we're working on developing something new to replace Warhammer in stages. 7th edition is looking a lot more attractive then 8th.
+1 for this. My brother and I have been playing a modified version of 7th since 8th edition came out. 7th had its problems and was far from perfect, but it was more tactically rewarding than 7th.

I actually feel that 8th had some good ideas behind it that were clearly intended to counteract the issues of 7th, but I also feel that they went tooooo far.

I'd love to know how close our rules amendments become?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#13 Post by Galharen »

anything new about elves? I stopped completely following rumours or GW website, so maybe there is any new info? :)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#14 Post by Curu Olannon »

I'm part of Norway's biggest, active Warhammer club. Well, we were a Warhammer club. Now we don't know what we are any longer (this will take some time to figure out). The entire competitive scene in Norway died overnight. There are hardly any events and I don't know anyone playing either 8th or AoS. A handful of people might be interested in 9th, no-one likes Age of Sigmar and the rest have swapped systems, either to WM&H or KoW.

This means that, at least to my knowledge, the only ones playing AoS in Norway are small groups of friends or perhaps small clubs. Certainly no competitive scene. From what I can tell, the ones who originally bought the AoS models are already trying to sell them.

I expect Warhammer to become a pure miniatures thing in Norway. One could argue that it is already. Perhaps 9th age can save it to an extent but I doubt it.

The TL;DR is that GW killed Warhammer as a game overnight.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
IgnobleElf

#15 Post by IgnobleElf »

In brief, we tried a couple games of AoS using the book scenarios, as well as a couple battle line type games. We unanimously decided that the game is truly awful and essentially unplayable. Most of us are looking into other games. Unless a more thorough and balanced rule set is released, Warhammer is probably done in this area.
-Brian McMillen
Chicago, IL USA
Lithlandis Stormcrow

#16 Post by Lithlandis Stormcrow »

The community over here in Lisbon has a huge devotion (I risk the term "near fanboy") to everything GW produces so they are embracing the game... which personally will only make me go the collector and painter way for my army, much to my chagrin.

Oh well, I'll keep gaming with my Mordheim warband and my Dark Angels.
"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws."

http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/
Aicanor
Rainbows

#17 Post by Aicanor »

The group of friends I play with looked at AoS. 'Four page rules? What the...?' And returned to 8th. It is nice however that GW bothered to translate the new rules into our 'somewhat niche' language. And we don't even have official GW ship here.
Galharen wrote:anything new about elves? I stopped completely following rumours or GW website, so maybe there is any new info? :)
They are suspiciously missing. Slaanesh is missing. I would guess they are having one hell of a party. :lol:
Ielthan

#18 Post by Ielthan »

Some very interesting replies guys keep them coming. Seems that anywhere without a local gw to promote it has not really picked it up. Personally I'm currently embracing all things warlord games, it's like what gw was 20 years ago, but better.

I'm basically done with gw at this point, it's no longer a company I want to support, my friends who worked there have left/are leaving and they themselves feel quite a bit of antipathy towards the company. I've made the decision that no matter how pretty the new elves may be, I won't be buying any. It's an odd feeling, like a phase of my life has ended and new one is beginning (ok that's a little melodramatic), I can already see how my group of hobby friends has basically fallen apart, many of us going our own ways. Wwe're still friends but when you go from seeing each other once or twice a week to not much at all, it's hard.

Curu very interesting to hear how badly it's done in your part of the world, Norway/Sweden/Finland have played a huge part in the competitive scene, to see it fall apart so quickly can't be fun. I don't imagine it will do much for gw sales either, they were reportedly already struggling in Europe.

The big podcasts seem to love it, although I guess it helps when you get free stuff... I've listened to most and the only one with what seemed a reasonable response was Heelanhammer. Some of them have really irritated me, the aggressive level of contempt for anyone who doesn't like it stinks of hypocrisy, Facehammer were particularly bad for this, I won't be listening to them anymore.

I wonder how much of the disconnect has been a generational thing, it would be interesting to hear from some younger members who perhaps don't remember "the good old days" as well or as fondly, or some new players that this AOS has brought into the hobby.
Andrew_uk

#19 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ielthan wrote:I wonder how much of the disconnect has been a generational thing, it would be interesting to hear from some younger members who perhaps don't remember "the good old days" as well or as fondly, or some new players that this AOS has brought into the hobby.
Andrew_uk wrote: On the occasion I actually did see other people in there they were playing AoS (Goblins vs the sigmarines), both players were about 12-14. I asked them what they thought of it seeing as this was GWs target market; turns out even they didn't like the silly rules and thought GW was trying to treat them as kids, but they seemed accepting of this being the new ruleset.
Good luck finding anyone older who is new to the hobby and finds it fun to dance around the table while playing.

Ielthan

#20 Post by Ielthan »

Andrew_uk wrote:
Ielthan wrote:I wonder how much of the disconnect has been a generational thing, it would be interesting to hear from some younger members who perhaps don't remember "the good old days" as well or as fondly, or some new players that this AOS has brought into the hobby.
Andrew_uk wrote: On the occasion I actually did see other people in there they were playing AoS (Goblins vs the sigmarines), both players were about 12-14. I asked them what they thought of it seeing as this was GWs target market; turns out even they didn't like the silly rules and thought GW was trying to treat them as kids, but they seemed accepting of this being the new ruleset.
Good luck finding anyone older who is new to the hobby and finds it fun to dance around the table while playing.
True but from what I understand none of the new stuff has those rules. They were just for us...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#21 Post by SpellArcher »

Ielthan wrote:The big podcasts seem to love it, although I guess it helps when you get free stuff... I've listened to most and the only one with what seemed a reasonable response was Heelanhammer. Some of them have really irritated me, the aggressive level of contempt for anyone who doesn't like it stinks of hypocrisy, Facehammer were particularly bad for this, I won't be listening to them anymore.
It seems to me that a lot of podcast chat revolves around new releases etc.. Basically a lot are set up around the GW model, so they were always going to embrace AoS, in a similar, though bigger way to their embrace of End Times. I looked at End Times, didn't like what it did to the game and took a pass. AoS might be great but it's just not the kind of game I want to play. Podcasters have much more motivation to like the new stuff and put energy into making it work (and trying to discourage 8th edition so that players come over). They (and the big TO's, at least in UK) have a platform to get their message across (which players of 8th edition don't have, so much) and they are using it.
Motley

#22 Post by Motley »

I am an older, mid thirties, returning player - I got back into the game with 8th a couple of years or so ago.

So far my buddies and I are really enjoying AoS, sorry to disappoint. Since it dropped we have had no interest in 8th. One of them has even started a new army.
Andrew_uk

#23 Post by Andrew_uk »

Motley wrote:I am an older, mid thirties, returning player - I got back into the game with 8th a couple of years or so ago.

So far my buddies and I are really enjoying AoS, sorry to disappoint. Since it dropped we have had no interest in 8th. One of them has even started a new army.
What are you finding tactically rewarding about it? Like decisions you make are modeled in a way which means they actually seem realistic and have an impact on the game

How would you describe the environment you play in? For instance are you guys quite competitive?

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Motley wrote:sorry to disappoint.
Each to their own. I'm an 8th fan but I have no beef with guys playing a game they enjoy.
Original Dragon Prince

#25 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

Some things I've found tactically rewarding is the use of retreat. It allows for cavalry hammer tactics like those used in the Total War series. You can charge in your cavalry to support an infantry unit, then pull them back for another charge while your infantry unit continues to trade blows. It makes your opponent weigh his options, does he stay in and hope to inflict meaninful damage on your infantry, or pull back himself to avoid another lance charge?
Last edited by Original Dragon Prince on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
Lithlandis Stormcrow

#26 Post by Lithlandis Stormcrow »

Andrew_uk wrote: (...) for instance are you guys quite competitive?
I'll hazard a guess that the answer to this will be "nope".
"Let them that are happy talk of piety; we that would work our adversary must take no account of laws."

http://back2basing.blogspot.pt/
Kimahri

#27 Post by Kimahri »

I was excited for AoS to come out. A friend and I split the starter box (I took the Stormcast Eternals). While I have to say that the Liberators are some of the most uninspiring models out there, the rest are very nice. Ive had fun painting them up.

As far as gameplay, well every game I played ended in a giant smash fest blob in the middle of the board. I was hoping it would be simple enough for my fiancée to pick up. She deemed it silly. That took the wind out of the AoS sails for me. I would love to buy some of those models just to have to paint, but I cant justify paying that much for them while im working on building up a Militarum Tempestus force.

I usually frequent two flgs, and both have sold their stock of AoS related materials well. But, I never see anyone playing. I spend most weekends there playing 40k, or just hanging out. Havent seen a game I wasnt directly involved in being played the whole time.

I don't mean to knock this game, if you like it thats great. Its just not doing it for me. Im somewhat sad I was too late to the fantasy game to have fun with that. Ill just stick to my 40k and hope it doesnt get dumbed down.
Lordy

#28 Post by Lordy »

It's none existent in my area, but then again Fantasy was pretty quiet before the, now AOS is stone cold dead.

Personally I've quit Games Workshop, they're an terrible terrible company which has no interest in it's own communities and customers.

Really enjoying Kings of War and Dropzone Commander, the latter of which is what my club is playing at the moment, Kings Of War has picked up a few new players too though.

I think GW's gamble to buy off Podcasts has worked wonderfully for them, without the vote of confidence from the podcasters I think AOS would have failed a lot quicker that it seems to currently be doing anyway, so well played to GW for that.
Motley

#29 Post by Motley »

Andrew_uk wrote:
Motley wrote:I am an older, mid thirties, returning player - I got back into the game with 8th a couple of years or so ago.

What are you finding tactically rewarding about it? Like decisions you make are modeled in a way which means they actually seem realistic and have an impact on the game

How would you describe the environment you play in? For instance are you guys quite competitive?
Well briefly the movement and positioning (using some units to hamper the opponents movement etc), target priority and use of terrain effect (we use the table for terrain in the rules) all give us lots to think about, as much or more than 8th Ed. I still very much feel like I am scratching the surface though.

If you look here https://hobbykiller.wordpress.com/ and here http://heelanhammer.com/?p=139 there are more in depth discussions of tactics, better than I could do any way. I am not claiming to be great player just that we are enjoying the game and finding lots of challenge in it. When we have lost it has given us lots to think about and mostly it is is - if I had done this, this, and that, or made this choice here then things would have worked out better. For me, a game where the choices I make effect the outcome signifies that there is strategy and tactics involved and is fun.

I would not say we are super competitive wargamers that attend tournaments, none of use have a lifestyle conducive to doing that these days. We do, you know, like to win though - does that mean we are not proper wargamers?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#30 Post by Aicanor »

Motley wrote:does that mean we are not proper wargamers?
Of course, you have to be a tournament player with adrive to lose to count. ;-)

Jokes aside, I do not think you need to be defensive of your enjoyment of the game. I would actually like to try the rules out before I ditch them.
Of course there are people who do not like it and think the game is silly. But most people in the world think tabletop wargaming is silly, so... :wink: