Egyptian Humour

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karak Norn Clansman

Egyptian Humour

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

While reading up on jokes across the world and from all over human history for 40k work, I stumbled upon a delightful surprise: Egyptian humour. Apparently the densely populated and hypersocial Nile valley in Egypt have sported a culture of wisecracks and jokesters for almost five millennia, at the very least.

A short extract from this article should be of interest to history lovers around here, and possibly inspire some Tomb King shenanigans:
Issandr el Amrani wrote:Making fun of oppressive authorities has been an essential part of Egyptian life since the pharaohs. One 4,600-year-old barb recorded on papyrus joked that the only way you could convince the king to fish would be to wrap naked girls in fishing nets. Under Roman rule, Egyptian advocates were banned from practicing law because of their habit of making wisecracks, which the dour Romans thought would undermine the seriousness of the courts. Even Ibn Khaldun, the great 14th-century Arab philosopher from Tunis, noted that Egyptians were an unusually mirthful and irreverent people.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Egyptian Humour

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Live and learn! My favourite TV show is Mr Robot, which owes a lot to it's creator Sam Esmail and it's star, Rami Malek, both sons of Egyptian immigrants. While not ostensibly a comedy, there are some very funny moments.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Egyptian Humour

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:
Issandr el Amrani wrote:Making fun of oppressive authorities has been an essential part of Egyptian life since the pharaohs. One 4,600-year-old barb recorded on papyrus joked that the only way you could convince the king to fish would be to wrap naked girls in fishing nets.
This got a chuckle from me :) =D>

Nice find and interesting read :)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.