always strikes first and extra ranks

Ask any rules specific questions here
Aleorion

always strikes first and extra ranks

#1 Post by Aleorion »

Hello everyone. I'm not new to warhammer lore, but I'm new to the 8th edition.
I recently builded my new chracian army after 15 years.
I know it may be a very stupid question but I'm not able to find an answer: high elves have the always strikes first rule + martial prowess.

Does it mean that, against a lower initiative opponent, all the extra ranks can also re-roll the failed rolls to hit? Or only the first two ranks?

I know this may sounds dumb, but I'm reading all the rules again and again, and after 15 years is a little bit difficult to remember every rule.

Sorry for my bad english.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: always strikes first and extra ranks

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Aleorion.

:)

I've double-checked the rulebooks (and rulebook FAQ) and can see no reason why the extra ranks should be treated differently. So yes, the extra ranks can re-roll to hit against foes with equal or lower initiative. I've played many tournament games both with and against High Elves and this is the way it has always been treated.

We'd be interested to hear about your army, including photos if you have any!
Aleorion

#3 Post by Aleorion »

SpellArcher wrote:Welcome Aleorion.

:)

I've double-checked the rulebooks (and rulebook FAQ) and can see no reason why the extra ranks should be treated differently. So yes, the extra ranks can re-roll to hit against foes with equal or lower initiative. I've played many tournament games both with and against High Elves and this is the way it has always been treated.

We'd be interested to hear about your army, including photos if you have any!
Thanks a lot!!!

Wow, those rules combined sound killer. Even a simple block of spearmen with some magic can be really nasty for the enemy. Can't imagine other models like my beloved white lions or the swordmasters.

Actually I'm working on a solid background for my army and my Prince. After many years in role play games, and since right now every local gw shop and board games circles are closed due to the covid situation, we decided to also role-play during our battles. We will expand our backgrounds after some specific campaigns, like a true chronicle of stories.
I will 100% post something about my army!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Aleorion wrote:Thanks a lot!!!
You're welcome.
Aleorion wrote:Even a simple block of spearmen with some magic can be really nasty for the enemy.
Spears can be resilient but the Strength 3 means it takes serious magic to make them a potent threat. Shadow would be the go-to Lore for this.
Aleorion wrote:Can't imagine other models like my beloved white lions or the swordmasters.
Unfortunately the Great Weapons used by these come with the Always Strikes Last rule, which cancels out Always Strikes First, per page 66 of the main rulebook. So they strike at Initiative 5 and do not re-roll to hit. Both remain good units though, especially the Lions.
Aleorion wrote:I will 100% post something about my army!
Looking forward to it!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Just to confirm, SpellArcher is correct. Second (and third!) rank attacks are treated like front rank attacks. There's nothing which makes them different. So all rules that apply to the front rank also apply to the ranks behind it (unless it specifically states otherwise of course). So, back ranks get always strike first on their attacks.

And Swordmasters and Whitelions indeed don't get the ASF rerolls because they have great weapons, which also give them always strike last. Phoenix Guard on the other hand do, and with their I6 they get the reroll against all other models in the game without ASF which are not characters. If you give them the razor standard (for armour piercing) then they can be brutal...

Of course, your elves are also squishy with only T3 and a 5+ armour save. So you don't want to get stuck in combat, because your opponents models which survive get to strike back as well.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.