Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

MasterOfNone

Re: Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

#61 Post by MasterOfNone »

Unfortunate outcome, but nice story telling and a lovely table.
We want more.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#62 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:Unfortunate outcome, but nice story telling and a lovely table.
We want more.
Seconded!

Wood Elves don't look like a great match-up for your army list Fitzlock. They are crazy fluid and Life magic plus big blocks don't help much against that. I understand the World Dragon concession but what happened to your Lions is exactly why the Banner is almost an auto-include for them. Silver Helms and a Frostheart would definitely help, simply because they are faster than what you have.

I see the scenario problem but could deploying your RBT on the 12" line have made a difference? The Waystalker issue kind of underlines why the army could do with more speed. Did your opponent dispel Throne of Vines? That's normally the first cast because even if it miscasts, you still gain the 2+ protection against that. Overall I think you made a good fist of this game and did well to keep it so close.
fitzlock

#63 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote:Did your opponent dispel Throne of Vines? That's normally the first cast because even if it miscasts, you still gain the 2+ protection against that.
Hahahaha no I just forgot that very key line of text on the already very wordy Throne of Vines. God what an idiot. #-o Won't make that mistake again!
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Mireadur

#64 Post by Mireadur »

The face of the mage on horse is amazing. very nice army in gold and green. I also like the true metals in teclis, i agree that overall it might be your best model, but the mage on horse is very nice also.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#65 Post by Prince of Spires »

It reads like a great battle, even though you lost...

A shame about the deployment. With your army you suffered a bit more than the more mobile WE I think. Still, you put up a good fight. And killing a few models with them counts as a win in my book ;) though, here I should mention that my missile firing models are blind, so they rarely do anything worth noting...

A shame you lost so many PG to shooting, though I guess 3 rounds of close range shooting does that even to PG. One thing to note is that I think the warhawk riders also have ASF, which means they would strike at the same time as the PG.

I'm not sure bringing LSG would have changed a lot. Reavers are always useful, with their ability to help you decide where and when to fight, by blocking units, maybe charging a warmachine and preventing other units from vanguarding. And the problem with LSG is that to use their bows they need to stand still to be really effective, but to use their spears you need to march them and get into combat. My experience with them is that you tend to use one of the two abilities, depending on the rest of the army you bring. If you have an offensive army then they become spears, if you bring a defensive one they become archers. And then they are just an expensive version of the archers/spears.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#66 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote:It reads like a great battle, even though you lost...

A shame about the deployment. With your army you suffered a bit more than the more mobile WE I think. Still, you put up a good fight. And killing a few models with them counts as a win in my book ;) though, here I should mention that my missile firing models are blind, so they rarely do anything worth noting...
Yes, the scenario definitely had an impact. By the same token, if we'd rolled Blood & Glory I think it would have been an almost guaranteed victory for me as he brought zero banners. Perhaps Bolt Throwers are worth it regardless for such a small point investment, but I was hitting on 6s against most things the whole game which felt pretty bad (long range, multiple shots and either cover or skirmishers or both)
A shame you lost so many PG to shooting, though I guess 3 rounds of close range shooting does that even to PG. One thing to note is that I think the warhawk riders also have ASF, which means they would strike at the same time as the PG.
I'll put this down to being rusty, woops! We both thought that if both units had ASF then no one did and attacks were resolved at initiative. I'll keep this in mind in the future.
I'm not sure bringing LSG would have changed a lot. Reavers are always useful, with their ability to help you decide where and when to fight, by blocking units, maybe charging a warmachine and preventing other units from vanguarding. And the problem with LSG is that to use their bows they need to stand still to be really effective, but to use their spears you need to march them and get into combat. My experience with them is that you tend to use one of the two abilities, depending on the rest of the army you bring. If you have an offensive army then they become spears, if you bring a defensive one they become archers. And then they are just an expensive version of the archers/spears.
Perhaps you're right. I restricted myself to only what I had fully painted so the only options I had for core were Spearmen/Seaguard, Archers, and Reavers. My opponent had no such restrictions as if he only brought fully painted models it would have been my 2000pts against his 500pts haha. I have a second unit of Reavers to paint up and the Silver Helms are about 1/3 done. I'll definitely want to get them finished for next time, as well as my Frostheart Phoenix and Eagles. If cavalry is the way to go, then I should assemble and paint my Dragon Princes as well (I have ten, is it worth building two sets of command or perhaps magnetizing?). On the topic of DPs, and I realise this enters the territory of list tailoring, but is the Ranger's Banner ever a consideration if you know there will be dangerous terrain on the table? 50pts is a lot and could be spent on 2 more DPs instead.
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#67 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote:multiple shots
I don't have my High Elf book with me Fitzlock but I'm pretty sure RBT don't take the Multiple Shots penalty. Their unit description should confirm this. I would absolutely keep using them. A spell like Hand of Glory (to boost BS) will make your Archers a unit the Wood Elves dislike, too.
fitzlock wrote:If cavalry is the way to go, then I should assemble and paint my Dragon Princes as well (I have ten, is it worth building two sets of command or perhaps magnetizing?). On the topic of DPs, and I realise this enters the territory of list tailoring, but is the Ranger's Banner ever a consideration if you know there will be dangerous terrain on the table? 50pts is a lot and could be spent on 2 more DPs instead.
I've never seen Ranger's Banner used but trying it out in one game shouldn't hurt if you've decided to model the standard anyway. Almost every HE unit benefits from a musician (for the Swift Reforms). Taking a standard on a unit of five or six Dragon Princes is usually done if they want a magic one. A unit of 10 typically takes a champion as well. Might be worth holding off on assembling them til you've run the Silver Helms?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#68 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: I don't have my High Elf book with me Fitzlock but I'm pretty sure RBT don't take the Multiple Shots penalty. Their unit description should confirm this. I would absolutely keep using them.
Correct. The RBT doesn't have the multiple shots rule. It simply fires 6 shots, which means that you don't get the -1 for Multiple shots. It's like having 6 attacks, sort of. With a different scenario which gives easier deployment you should get most things in short range as well I think. 48'' is a long way after all. Which means you're looking a 4's to hit instead of 6's, which is a whole different ballgame. And with an average hand of glory roll, you can get them to 2's to hit.

As for the DPs, I would personally go with 1 set of command, though if you magnetize them, having 2 sets doesn't hurt of course, it's just more work. But a unit of 5 is too small to give full command. You might give them a musician (having 2 musicians modelled doesn't hurt, since it has no in game effect anyway, so you might consider making two of those). But a champion and banner is unlikely. I think 7 is the minimum I would go for full command, since a banner can be nice for blood and glory and an extra model only gets you +1 attack since he goes in the back rank, which the champion gets you for cheaper.

The nature of the HE army list is such that SH are usually preferred over DPs. They're worse in a lot of ways, even point for point, but because they are core they are sort of "free". You need to take core anyway, and since none of it is amazing (though I love reavers, but you don't need more than 2 units of 5 of them...), SH are an obvious choice if you want to run a cavalry list. They become a delivery system for a prince and BSB, who do the damage. Which means you've got the important cavalry bits covered with core models and then need to use your special / rare points for other stuff. That is not to say that DP's can't work, and I like them a lot. With 2 S5 attacks each they pack a good punch. It's just that it's not the most optimal choice (but I never really cared about that anyway...).

As for the ranger's standard, I'm a bit ambivalent. It's very expensive for what it does. On the other hand, if you've got to take a dangerous terrain test with a unit of 10, on average you almost make those points back since there's a decent chance you'll lose two models. So if you play terrain heavy then it could be worth it. Even more so if the WE player likes to hide behind / inside forests. You could give him an interesting surprise with it. Maybe give it a go and see what is does. It might already be worth it just for the psychological effect on both you and your opponent. If you know you can charge a unit through terrain without damage you might do so, whereas if you are afraid of the DT terrain test you might hold off, while that one wound could very well be worth it.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#69 Post by fitzlock »

Gosh what a slew of rule errors, all drastically favoring my opponent! I'll put it down to first game in almost a year and a half and we'll say no more about it. #-o

I think you're right about the Dragon Princes, one set of command with perhaps a second musician seems like the best bet for if I run two units of 5 at some point.

I'm currently working on my Frostheart Phoenix with all the bits magnetized so it can either be the base monster or a mount for Caradryan (or an Anointed I guess, though I doubt I ever would). Hopefully will finish that this weekend! After that I will get my Silver Helms finished, followed by my Great Eagles and Noble on Griffon. Other than that, still to paint I have:
  • - Flamespyre Phoenix (also magnetized)
    - Dragon (with magnetized riders)
    - Eltharion the Grim
    - Prince Imrik 4E
    - Prince Imrik 6E (I found one!)
    - Alarielle the Radiant
    - Alith Anar, the Shadow King
    - Tyrion, Defender of Ulthuan
    - Handmaiden of the Everqueen
    - 3 Nobles (1x shield and axe, 1x longbow, 1x Prince Athran on foot)
    - 1 Prince (mounted with weapon options magnetized)
    - 2 Mages (1x female mage on elemental base, 1x curly hair with one throwing the horns \m/)
    - 1x Tiranoc Chariot
    - 10x Sisters of Avelorn (would like to bump this to 30 in two units of 15)
    - 10x Dragon Princes
I really need to pull up my britches and give Alarielle a go, this is her army after all! I have just ordered a uh.. "spare" Alarielle, if you will, so I may use that as a practice run since it cost me next to nothing. I want to try freehanding the pattern that's on the hem of her robes in the box art as I think it does a lot to break up an otherwise large space of identical shapes and texture. I need to convert up a mounted BSB as well, I want them to be a female model like my other BSB that was made using a Sister of Avelorn. Perhaps I can put something together with some wood elf bits like Glade Riders or Sisters of the Thorn.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#70 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote:I really need to pull up my britches and give Alarielle a go, this is her army after all!
Amen to that! Be great to see classic Alarielle in your army Fitzlock. It has been common to see her in a unit of White Lions because their cloaks and her 5+ Ward vs non-magical attacks can be complemented by World Dragon for a very robust defence. Unsure how you might build without the Banner. The Phoenix Guard could be the safest place.
fitzlock wrote:10x Sisters of Avelorn (would like to bump this to 30 in two units of 15)
A single unit 20 with Handmaiden has been popular as they all benefit from her Quick to Fire and can usefully be run seven wide and three deep.
fitzlock

#71 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote:
fitzlock wrote:I really need to pull up my britches and give Alarielle a go, this is her army after all!
Amen to that! Be great to see classic Alarielle in your army Fitzlock. It has been common to see her in a unit of White Lions because their cloaks and her 5+ Ward vs non-magical attacks can be complemented by World Dragon for a very robust defence. Unsure how you might build without the Banner. The Phoenix Guard could be the safest place.
Yes, I'm aware of the monstrosity that is a horde of White Lions with Alarielle and Banner of the World Dragon. I would like to have opponents still willing to play me, however, so I doubt I will bring the complete package more than once or twice on the express understanding that my opponent and I are bringing the most competitive list possible.
fitzlock wrote:10x Sisters of Avelorn (would like to bump this to 30 in two units of 15)
A single unit 20 with Handmaiden has been popular as they all benefit from her Quick to Fire and can usefully be run seven wide and three deep.
I will keep this in mind, visually that looks wonderful in my head with them in a 7x3 formation. Perhaps something to bring against my friend's Warriors of Chaos. :twisted:
MasterOfNone

#72 Post by MasterOfNone »

If you put a Handmaiden leading the Sisters of Avelorn, equipped with a Reaver Bow, does she still get the Flaming Attacks and Arrows of Isha special rules?
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
TyrrenAzureblade

#73 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

MasterOfNone wrote:If you put a Handmaiden leading the Sisters of Avelorn, equipped with a Reaver Bow, does she still get the Flaming Attacks and Arrows of Isha special rules?
Unfortunately, I don't think so. The Arrows of Isha/Flaming Attacks are a special rule granted to a Bow of Avelorn. She'd still get Quick to Fire though, as that's a rule that pertains to her model.
MasterOfNone

#74 Post by MasterOfNone »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Unfortunately, I don't think so. The Arrows of Isha/Flaming Attacks are a special rule granted to a Bow of Avelorn. She'd still get Quick to Fire though, as that's a rule that pertains to her model.
Pity, it looked too good to be true.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#75 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think so. The Arrows of Isha/Flaming Attacks are a special rule granted to a Bow of Avelorn.
That's my reading too.
fitzlock wrote:Yes, I'm aware of the monstrosity that is a horde of White Lions with Alarielle and Banner of the World Dragon. I would like to have opponents still willing to play me, however, so I doubt I will bring the complete package more than once or twice on the express understanding that my opponent and I are bringing the most competitive list possible.
This unit is strong but Wood Elves have several things that can tackle it. Wild Riders, Waywatchers, Waystalkers, Eternal Guard and Glade Guard for example. It remains vulnerable to Dwellers and Final Transmutation plus there are several dangerous spells to buff the already formidable WE shooting. Also the unit is M5 and a fast army like WE's can aim to avoid or delay it while killing it's support. Bringing the hard stuff doesn't have to preclude a varied and interesting list. That said, obviously what you and your opponents are comfortable with is paramount. It's noteworthy that you're restricting yourself while your opponent isn't and you're still getting very close Fitzlock.
MasterOfNone wrote:Pity, it looked too good to be true.
You can though add Potion of Strength for S8 shots.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#76 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think Allarielle can work fine in a list without the BotWD. Of course she'll be stronger with it, but that goes for most armies. I do think that she's better suited for an army with several large blocks than in a MSU or combined arms army. Her rules just benefit from having larger units. She'll give you a good magic phase by herself, though I think she doesn't get enough spells to really benefit from the ability to roll spells from 3 different lores. They're all great lores, but their signature spells are a bit meh. So if you want to go that route, then you want to bring along one or two lvl2 mages to aid her spell selection. Having said that, if you bring the banner of averlorn you do get a very threatening magic phase. Especially with the bubble spells from light, you can get several cast in a single magic phase.

Of course, you could just treat her like an expensive archmage, in which role she's perfectly serviceable.

Rod

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#77 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote:I think Allarielle can work fine in a list without the BotWD. Of course she'll be stronger with it, but that goes for most armies. I do think that she's better suited for an army with several large blocks than in a MSU or combined arms army. Her rules just benefit from having larger units. She'll give you a good magic phase by herself, though I think she doesn't get enough spells to really benefit from the ability to roll spells from 3 different lores. They're all great lores, but their signature spells are a bit meh. So if you want to go that route, then you want to bring along one or two lvl2 mages to aid her spell selection. Having said that, if you bring the banner of averlorn you do get a very threatening magic phase. Especially with the bubble spells from light, you can get several cast in a single magic phase.

Of course, you could just treat her like an expensive archmage, in which role she's perfectly serviceable.

Rod
Interesting, so if casting the empowered version of a spell so it affects all units within range, this still counts as targeting the unit with the Banner if Avelorn and so gets the +4 bonus to cast? I guess because it lost the word "target" I assumed it wouldn't work but that's very powerful if it does.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#78 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I think Allarielle can work fine in a list without the BotWD. Of course she'll be stronger with it, but that goes for most armies.
The problem in this case is that the unit has good protection against non-magical attacks in it's Lion Cloaks and 5+ Ward. Without the Banner, Alarielle has no saving throw vs Magical. This changes the unit from one that you're happy to have in combat to one that you're not. I could see a defensive army build with plenty of shooting and ranged magic though.
fitzlock wrote:Interesting, so if casting the empowered version of a spell so it affects all units within range, this still counts as targeting the unit with the Banner if Avelorn and so gets the +4 bonus to cast?
I'd agree with this. Alarielle's unit remains a target, just not the only one.
fitzlock

#79 Post by fitzlock »

Just thought I'd post a WIP of my Frostheart Phoenix. It was an intimidating model to start on but once the first coat of Aethermatic Blue contrast (1:1 with Contrast Medium) went on I knew I'd made the right choice of colour. I did some extra coats in some places to create some variance and a sort of gradient on the wings. I have the pieces all magnetised as well, so can either be a regular phoenix or Ashtari with Caradryan (or a normal Anointed of Asuryan but again... why?) by swapping the back piece and head. I have a Flamespyre Phoenix set up in a similar way.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#80 Post by Prince of Spires »

He looks great, and suitably frosty :) Do you have any special plans for the base?

As for why put a regular Anointed on top? Because you can :mrgreen:

For a more serious answer. You add magic resistance to the model, which is nice, and you increase his damage output. With a magic weapon you can get something like 3 S6 attacks which is pretty impressive by itself. You can also challenge, which can keep the model safer while in combat. And finally it allows you to bring more phoenixes, since the ridden one comes out of your lord points... Having Caradryan on top is probably better in almost all situations, but not everyone likes playing with special characters (or they want to changes things up).

I have seen some succesful tournament lists with an annointed on flamespire phoenix. It's a pretty decent monster option for fairly cheap, and with phoenix reborn it's very hard to get points from the model. With a rider on top you only die on a 1 and respawn on a 5+. It should be noted that this was under the ETC rules, which favor points denial over some of the other options. But it works in some lists.

Rod

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#81 Post by fitzlock »

Hi all!

So, I finished my Frostfire Phoenix this past week and also took him for a spin against my Wood Elves opponent. First up, here's some shots of the birb with the different magnetized options (basic birb and Ashtari with Caradryan).

As for the game, we decided on a list stipulation of each bringing a named character. I decided to bring Caradryan on Ashtari since I'd just painted him and my opponent chose to bring Orion, King of the Woods. I broke my usual rule of only bringing painted models to include a Great Eagle. My opponent's army was mostly grey, but he's been very busy with commissions lately and will hopefully have time now to get his own models done. Here are my 2500pts.

My opponent brought an almost entirely cavalry-based list which I was initially very worried about until we rolled the scenario - Watchtower. Since he had no infantry, it was going to be an uphill struggle for him from the start. His Glade Riders being in ambush also ended up hurting him, I think, as I had two turns before they even had a chance to appear to throw all my shooting and magic at his Wild Riders. Early on I threw my Great Eagle in the way of some of the Wild Riders to buy me more time to bombard them with arrows (very glad I brought it!). I think by the end of my second turn, I'd deleted one unit of Wild Riders, severely wounded a second, run down a unit of fleeing Sisters of the Thorn with my charging Caradryan and removed most of the second unit of Sisters with shooting. His Waywatchers fled from Caradryan early on as well, almost off the board. He eventually got his Great Eagle and some Glade Riders into my Bolt Throwers but they'd done their work by that point. I was able to snipe his L2 wizard fairly early and removed his magic phase from ever being a problem. The Loremaster turned out to be a sensational choice, threatening decent damaging spells every turn that drew his dispel dice and then being left to keep up Wyssan's Wildform on the Phoenix Guard and Melkoth's Mistifying Miasma on whatever was the most threatening target at the time. Orion ended up in combat with the Phoenix Guard turn 2 but I don't think he had a hope in hell of killing them by himself and the volume of attacks eventually brought the King of the Woods down at the end of turn 4. I moved my Spearmen into the tower, and I rolled a 6 on the scenario dice ending the game, although I was close to tabling him at that point.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#82 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote:Frostfire Phoenix
Very striking!
fitzlock wrote:my opponent chose to bring Orion, King of the Woods
A bold choice but great to see him on the field.
fitzlock wrote:My opponent brought an almost entirely cavalry-based list which I was initially very worried about until we rolled the scenario - Watchtower.
Oh dear.
fitzlock wrote:throw all my shooting and magic at his Wild Riders. Early on I threw my Great Eagle in the way of some of the Wild Riders to buy me more time to bombard them with arrows
Very wise. You really seemed to dominate the shooting phase here Fitzlock, not always the case vs Wood Elves.
fitzlock wrote:I don't think he had a hope in hell of killing them by himself
I'm guessing their 4+ Ward seriously slowed his Thunderstomp down?
fitzlock wrote:he's been very busy with commissions lately
I can see why from that lovely pink eagle. Not sure whether I prefer that or your Battle Standard!

:)
fitzlock

#83 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote: I'm guessing their 4+ Ward seriously slowed his Thunderstomp down?
That and I threw a challenge at him in the first round of combat with my unit champion to offset the extra attacks from devastating charge, which also meant the unit was free to slaughter his dogs lol. The brave soul even took a wound off him!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#84 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote:That and I threw a challenge at him in the first round of combat with my unit champion to offset the extra attacks from devastating charge, which also meant the unit was free to slaughter his dogs lol. The brave soul even took a wound off him!
I guess the dogs lack ASF so they're going down hard here. I feel their best use is as ablative wounds against shooting. I considered taking Big O to a tournament in the autumn and spent ages working out how to protect him from ranged attacks. PG are a good fighting unit but if they can reliably take him down, he's not viable. Monsters are supposed to be good vs Infantry, especially 600pt ones. At the end of the day, T5, 5 wounds and a 5+ Ward just don't cut it.
fitzlock

#85 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote:
fitzlock wrote:That and I threw a challenge at him in the first round of combat with my unit champion to offset the extra attacks from devastating charge, which also meant the unit was free to slaughter his dogs lol. The brave soul even took a wound off him!
I guess the dogs lack ASF so they're going down hard here. I feel their best use is as ablative wounds against shooting. I considered taking Big O to a tournament in the autumn and spent ages working out how to protect him from ranged attacks. PG are a good fighting unit but if they can reliably take him down, he's not viable. Monsters are supposed to be good vs Infantry, especially 600pt ones. At the end of the day, T5, 5 wounds and a 5+ Ward just don't cut it.
Yeah, no ASF meant the dogs didn't have a hope in hell. He's a total glass cannon and he definitely needs backup. Phoenix Guard are also probably the most resilient infantry in the entire game, though, there's not much that can break them in terms of single models. It took them a few turns to start taking wounds from Orion, and it would have taken even longer if I hadn't kept Wyssan's Wildform up on them. One good flank charge on that combat would have done a lot for him, although by the same token there was roughly half an inch of terrain preventing Caradryan getting into Orion's flank and giving him ASL which probably would have spelt doom for the King of the Woods. I might even have threw a challenge out with him just for the lols. I do struggle to see how he's worth 600pts, though, at least in a vacuum. It's definitely difficult to justify when you can spend over half as much and get the twins on a giant eagle.

In hobby news, I have decided to put on my big boy pants and get some of the intimidating (and almost impossible to replace :cry: ) models done. First up is the Handmaiden of the Everqueen, who is almost done. The queen herself will be next. I'm thinking about changing the gem in her belt to blue as the cloth around it is red as well, so it gets a bit lost.

Nyeave

#86 Post by Nyeave »

Really nice job there.
I can see what you mean with the red gem, but on the other hand the gem looks really good at the moment. I sometimes think you don't nescesarilly need to contrast every little detail as long as the overall contrast on the model is good. Something to think about, although I totally understand if you choose to make it blue - I probably would have planned for that myself.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
fitzlock

#87 Post by fitzlock »

Nyeave wrote:Really nice job there.
I can see what you mean with the red gem, but on the other hand the gem looks really good at the moment. I sometimes think you don't nescesarilly need to contrast every little detail as long as the overall contrast on the model is good. Something to think about, although I totally understand if you choose to make it blue - I probably would have planned for that myself.
Yeah, the gems that are currently blue were originally red so I've already changed some of them. :P
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#88 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote:Phoenix Guard are also probably the most resilient infantry in the entire game, though, there's not much that can break them in terms of single models
I have happy memories of my Plaguebearers, who were similar, stuff used to just bounce off. If PG do have a weakness it's probably the S4, so properly powerful monsters could be an issue. Dragons, ridden Frosthearts, WoC Daemon Princes for example, though at the worst the PG should hold on Steadfast until help or a buff turn up. Defensively though, Orion is just the DP without the 1+ armour save.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#89 Post by Prince of Spires »

The handmaiden is really well done. She looks striking. I agree with Nyeave on the gem. It's fine as it is, though I would also understand changing it. If you do change it, you might want to consider also changing the other gems so they match again (though that might send you down a rabbit hole...).

And I agree, PG are just amazing. I think their S4 is compensated a bit with ASF combined with their high I and attacks in 3 ranks, which grants them a reroll against all non-ASF models, with the exception of some lords and hero's. They get a pretty good hit rate. And with the razor banner they can chew through a lot of models except for the heavily armoured ones. They're also a great target for buffs. A mindrazor-ed unit of PG is probably the most deadly thing you can field in WH. But even a simple wildform will do wonders on them.

Rod

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#90 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote:The handmaiden is really well done. She looks striking. I agree with Nyeave on the gem. It's fine as it is, though I would also understand changing it. If you do change it, you might want to consider also changing the other gems so they match again (though that might send you down a rabbit hole...).

And I agree, PG are just amazing. I think their S4 is compensated a bit with ASF combined with their high I and attacks in 3 ranks, which grants them a reroll against all non-ASF models, with the exception of some lords and hero's. They get a pretty good hit rate. And with the razor banner they can chew through a lot of models except for the heavily armoured ones. They're also a great target for buffs. A mindrazor-ed unit of PG is probably the most deadly thing you can field in WH. But even a simple wildform will do wonders on them.

Rod
I went ahead and changed it, I've actually been trying to match the box art for this one since it's in my army colors anyway, pretty much. The box art features a mix of red and blue gems, so that's what I've gone for. I guess it's more sort of jade or turquoise gems on the box art but I couldn't figure out how to do that and went for blue. Maybe I'll go back and change them again. :lol: Base is all that's really left though!

EDIT: And the sword at her hip which I keep forgetting exists. Woops!