Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

fitzlock

Re: Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

#121 Post by fitzlock »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:04 pm I love Alith Anar as a fiction character. He's just such a bad-ass figure. He's also on my "Models to try in an army" list of models. I've even already got a list for him (which pushes the shadow warrior factor heavily) here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=88348 Now all I need is some time to actually play the game... Let us know how he works out for you.

The model looks great as well. I like how he is different from the SH but still fits with them. The dark grey's really give the "Shadow king" vibe, but I like the green trim to match him with your army. The runes on his sword look pretty good for a first attempt. I would perhaps give the runes themselves a slightly different color form the metal, to make them stand out more. Now the sword glows around the runes, but the runes themselves kind of blend in with the metal of the sword.

Also, nice nail-polish ;)
Thanks, Rod. It might be the photo not showing things properly, but I've highlighted the runes with pure white as well as glazing some blue in there, there's no metal on them. I don't know what more I can do to differentiate them! Maybe I need an even brighter white, I've been meaning to try white ink for a while. I'll keep that feedback in mind for the next runeblade I paint, though.
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:33 pm I really like the stealth tones, they fit well with the character. =D>
And as usual, very slick brush work.
I have just got myself an airbrush, so I hope I'll be able to post better blended models soon :D
Thank you! An airbrush is on my list of things to pick up, if only so I can reliably prime models all year round.
Azaam wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:40 pm Great paint job, as usual ! Coming from you, I was actually expecting more green :D
I love this model, I think it's very well done with a dynamic pose even if the face looks kinda weird. Sadly I couldn't find one at a decent price and it wasn't in the list of my "friend living in Eastern Europe who has access to a lot of models" ...

I'm pretty impressed by the glowing effect. I agree with Prince of Spires on the runes but I'm pretty sure I couldn't even paint some half as good as you did so ... :roll:

Also I didn't comment on the SH but they look amazing. I especially like the the color scheme and the depth of the shields !
But that's too bad that you're having a hard times with cavalry because I'd love to see your attempt at the Dragon Princes ! I'm sure they would look marvellous with your green color scheme !
I think it was specifically the Silver Helms I struggled with, as I didn't mind painting my first unit of Ellyrian Reavers or my mounted Archmage at all, really. Hopefully the Dragon Princes aren't as much of an issue as they're mostly covered in heavy barding with only the legs really visible.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Olthannon

#122 Post by Olthannon »

Loved catching up with your blog Fitzlock, awesome paint job. The characters in particular look amazing. And wow! That wood grain on the Gryphon lance :o
One foot in the hobby
fitzlock

#123 Post by fitzlock »

Bit of a break from the High Elves to paint a boss monster for D&D, which I've written a custom stat block for based on a medusa. Since it's a GW model I figured I'd share it anyway, and I put it on a square base for use in a Dark Elf army for Warhammer Armies Project down the road.
Attachments
PXL_20211021_193339053.jpg
PXL_20211021_193339053.jpg (722.34 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Olthannon

#124 Post by Olthannon »

I have to say I'm quite a fan of some of those AoS Dark Elves, they are much more in keeping with the old style.
One foot in the hobby
Azaam

#125 Post by Azaam »

Wow lovely ! I love your choice of color. The green and the gold match very well. And the mix of different hues of red for the scales gives a lot of depth. Great job !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
fitzlock

#126 Post by fitzlock »

Thanks folks!

I think these guys are next up. Wow, what a pain they were to assemble. I think I snapped a few of the decorative bits on the mount barding just from holding them together for the cement to set! So I had to trim them back on the opposite side to maintain symmetry. Nightmare. Anyway, it's too wet at the moment to get them primed so don't know when I'll be able to start. Plus, a painter I follow and whose techniques I use a lot is going to do a video on green NMM so I may end up trying that! #-o If the weather keeps up I have some Sisters of Avelorn primed, but I want to get another 10 so I'm reluctant to paint half a unit and then come back later and repeat. I'd rather do them together. Curse you Autumn!

MasterOfNone

#127 Post by MasterOfNone »

When I got my DP's fortunately they cam pre-assembled.
Regarding the priming, perhaps now is the time to invest in an airbrush?
For approximately $90/£90 you can get a good compressor with tank that will last forever and a basic double action airbrush that is perfectly adequate for priming and highlighting.
I got one a few weeks back and am definitely not looking back. Best purchase ever.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
fitzlock

#128 Post by fitzlock »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:55 am When I got my DP's fortunately they cam pre-assembled.
Regarding the priming, perhaps now is the time to invest in an airbrush?
For approximately $90/£90 you can get a good compressor with tank that will last forever and a basic double action airbrush that is perfectly adequate for priming and highlighting.
I got one a few weeks back and am definitely not looking back. Best purchase ever.
I'd love to but unfortunately I don't have the space for the enclosure right now! I really need to sort my hobby space out, as being able to just fire one up for priming would be great!
Olthannon

#129 Post by Olthannon »

Good luck with those Dragon Princes, I never actually bought some myself back in the day but I quite like the look of these newer ones. Hadn't thought about the fragility of them but that sounds like a nightmare!
One foot in the hobby
fitzlock

#130 Post by fitzlock »

Dragon Princes are on hold for the moment. I've decided (perhaps foolishly) to paint them in green NMM which is going to be a bit of a project and requires making some custom mixes in advance and doing one or two practice models on some junk minis I have.

In the mean time, I've cranked out another mage making the mage total now six. He needs a bit of freehand on his collar and the inside of his cloak but I'm not sure yet, so rather than paint over designs I don't like I finished the base and will come back when I have an idea I like. I fancy this guy as Lore of Heavens, though I appreciate they all look the same in terms of colour scheme so aren't distinguishable by lore necessarily. Something about him just looks like he's about to slam a comet on someone, perhaps holding the book out as if to say "sign here, please".
PXL_20211101_210040787.jpg
PXL_20211101_210040787.jpg (905.55 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
PXL_20211101_210314808.jpg
PXL_20211101_210314808.jpg (853.85 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
PXL_20211102_082204805.jpg
PXL_20211102_082204805.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3332 times
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#131 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:03 pm I've cranked out another mage making the mage total now six.
He fits in nicely Fitzlock. I do like that purple.
Olthannon

#132 Post by Olthannon »

Very cool mage, you did a brilliant paint job. What model is this?
One foot in the hobby
fitzlock

#133 Post by fitzlock »

Olthannon wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:09 am Very cool mage, you did a brilliant paint job. What model is this?
Thank you! It's from the Archmage and Mage plastic kit.

fitzlock

#134 Post by fitzlock »

Hello everyone!

Well, it's been a good while since I last updated this blog. Please bear with me with what will almost certainly be a chunky update! There will be lots of pretty pictures though, so bear with me!

January 2022 saw me start a Lizardmen army for a "New Year, New Army" project with some friends, but I lost steam and have ultimately shelved it for now. My insistence on trying to paint every model as close to box art as possible really burned me out due to the number of scales on the Saurus in particular. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great, but it's put me off painting any more Lizardmen for now. I have a half-finished Stegadon I hope to get back to at some point and I'll consider what to do with the project from there. What I was pleased with is the basing, especially on the Skinks. I tried to go for a jungle swamp look and used some water effect products for the first time and I think it came out pretty well. Here's some pics. :)

Being unable to continue that project affected the rest of the year for me. I did a couple of commissions, including an Avatar of Khaine and an Abaddon the Despoiler, which actually resulted in me being approached by Siege Studios for some freelance work. More on that in a bit...

I rounded out the year doing a restoration project on two Swordmasters for a commission:

I love the contrast of the before and after and I enjoyed giving these models a shiny new paint job. (I've since been sent the rest of the unit and some lovely metal archers which I'm working on right now, the client is very patient and wants me to take my time with them).

I also started on a Night Goblin Mordheim warband for myself whilst I was waiting for the first project from Siege to arrive at the start of 2023.

So, 2023 comes around and the package from Siege arrives. I had no control over was sent to me and I had a strict scope to follow. I was sent two units of Blood Angels for the Horus Heresy; I only finished one as I injured my knee at the gym, meaning I couldn't sit for extended periods. They were pretty miserable to paint, and not fun at all, so off to a pretty rough start.

I then get sent 10 metal Eldar Rangers in bloody awful condition with an extremely odd and difficult paint scheme to recreate.

I barely finished these by the deadline and by the time I sent them back my mental health was in tatters, as I'd been spending every evening painting whilst also working a fairly stressful 9-5 job, so I resigned from the freelance contract in early Summer. I found myself unable to pick up a paintbrush for several months and it wasn't until I had a much-needed holiday to the picturesque fjords of Norway...

...that I felt sufficiently recharged and motivated. A friend reached out and asked if I could do a commission for his business and like a fool I agreed. I spent most of the rest of 2023 painting The Lion.

Since then, I have been plugging away at the Swordmasters and Archers that I mentioned earlier and painting some models for myself, including what I think might be my best model to date, this wonderful Night Goblin character for my Mordheim project. I have also been trying to take much better photos.

I have also painted this wonderful High Elf character which is a 3D printed file from Juan Hidalgo Miniatures, a scan of his original green stuff sculpt. You can find his youtube channel HERE and his Etsy shop HERE. It's quite obviously inspired by the artwork for Belannaer in the earlier army books and was a lot of fun to paint.

I then promptly drop him, he flies off the base... and I notice this 25mm square on the floor next to him so I think "hmmm, let's see what that looks like".

...damn. That actually looks very nice. Okay, maybe it's just him, let me try another since I've been meaning to tidy up his base anyway.

...okay but what about a unit?

Okay, I'm convinced by the Phoenix Guard ranking up smoother than butter that it's time to rebase my High Elves! I've got a ton of bases on their way and they'll be my first army for The Old World, but I am going to take those Night Goblins I had so much fun painting up for a Mordheim warband and paint up a whole army of them. So watch out for a new blog for those!

Thank you if you've read this far. A lot has happened to me in terms of my relationship with the hobby since I last posted. I tried out commission painting as a full side hustle and learned it was definitely not for me as it almost drove me to give up completely. Once these Swordmasters and Archers are done (look out for photos of those soon!) I'm not going to paint any more models for other people and will focus on painting what I love. I'm really looking forward to getting back into this hobby as the new ruleset looks like a lot of fun and is drawing in lots of new people. Exciting times indeed.

Oh, and I may have ordered the Bretonnian box.... Woops!
Giladis
The Merlord

#135 Post by Giladis »

Glad to see you back!

Also that Avatar is stunning. I still haven't assembled mine after a year and a half because the very prospect of painting it I find too daunting.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#136 Post by Prince of Spires »

fitzlock wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:16 pm Oh, and I may have ordered the Bretonnian box.... Woops!
:lol: It happens... Somehow miniatures always keep accumulating. Maybe miniatures have some kind of vacuum energy, in that if you are at the risk of running out of miniatures to assemble, more of them appear to fill the void. Looking forward to how the completed Bretonnians looks with your painting skills!

The Lizardmen are awesome, as are all the other miniatures! So keep the photos coming.

As for rebasing, I'm surprised how much more spacious the models look on the bigger bases. I hadn't expected that. It's almost enough to make me consider rebasing my army. Almost... What are your plans for the bases? Also, where did you get those?
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#137 Post by fitzlock »

Giladis wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:17 pm Glad to see you back!

Also that Avatar is stunning. I still haven't assembled mine after a year and a half because the very prospect of painting it I find too daunting.
Thank you! It was definitely a challenge and required a brush sacrifice to the painting gods with all the stippling I did on the skin for the lava effect. Never painting one again though haha.
Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:22 am
fitzlock wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:16 pm Oh, and I may have ordered the Bretonnian box.... Woops!
:lol: It happens... Somehow miniatures always keep accumulating. Maybe miniatures have some kind of vacuum energy, in that if you are at the risk of running out of miniatures to assemble, more of them appear to fill the void. Looking forward to how the completed Bretonnians looks with your painting skills!

The Lizardmen are awesome, as are all the other miniatures! So keep the photos coming.

As for rebasing, I'm surprised how much more spacious the models look on the bigger bases. I hadn't expected that. It's almost enough to make me consider rebasing my army. Almost... What are your plans for the bases? Also, where did you get those?
Thanks, Rod! Current plans for the Bretonnians is a Mousillon themed force with blacks and yellows. Don't think I'm going to kitbash it with undead bits, just make them look a bit muddy and grimy compared to most of their peers in other baronies. Core troops including Knights of the Realm will be painted in those colours, Questing Knights, Grail Knights etc will have their own unique heraldry. Splitting the difference there between painting the army the same way or painting everything with unique colours. We'll see if I change my mind when I come to start it of course.

I was initially not going to rebase and just use movement trays that give the appropriate footprint, but I'm now a convert to the New World Order. You get SO much more space on the bases but they still look like a cohesive unit. The bigger models towards the end of Fantasy really benefit from it like Phoenix Guard, White Lions etc. Even Silver Helms are a bit close to each other with the riders' legs so the move to a 30x60 base will help them as well. Scheme wise I think I'm going to go for a sort of grassy highlands with flowers and tufts, will do some test bases to try and figure it out. Very classic High Elf basing, which should be befitting of an Avelorn army. As for where I got them from, since moving to MDF I order all mine from https://warbases.co.uk. Can get whatever size base you want and they'll add holes for magnets if that's something you want (I do). They do trays as well in whatever size you may need. I have just noticed they have a message on there saying they're experiencing a high volume orders due to TOW which is good to see, but may result in orders being fulfilled a bit slower.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#138 Post by Prince of Spires »

fitzlock wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:23 am I was initially not going to rebase and just use movement trays that give the appropriate footprint, but I'm now a convert to the New World Order. You get SO much more space on the bases but they still look like a cohesive unit. The bigger models towards the end of Fantasy really benefit from it like Phoenix Guard, White Lions etc. Even Silver Helms are a bit close to each other with the riders' legs so the move to a 30x60 base will help them as well. Scheme wise I think I'm going to go for a sort of grassy highlands with flowers and tufts, will do some test bases to try and figure it out. Very classic High Elf basing, which should be befitting of an Avelorn army. As for where I got them from, since moving to MDF I order all mine from https://warbases.co.uk. Can get whatever size base you want and they'll add holes for magnets if that's something you want (I do). They do trays as well in whatever size you may need. I have just noticed they have a message on there saying they're experiencing a high volume orders due to TOW which is good to see, but may result in orders being fulfilled a bit slower.
Thanks for the link. They look great. Should be a lovely option to get some movement trays once I know roughly what kinds of unit sizes I want. Get a bunch of tray and I'd be good to go :)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#139 Post by fitzlock »

Yes, the unit size debate is raging from what I can see. I think I'm leaning six wide for regular infantry, seven wide for elite infantry and eight wide or higher for archers but I'll need to do some testing! Still waiting for my LGS to get their order in so I am without a rulebook at the moment. I'm going to 3D print some basic movement trays for now in a variety of sizes, then once I know what I'll be using the most I'll get some nice durable MDF ones. :)
Giladis
The Merlord

#140 Post by Giladis »

In my games so far I found infantry units mostly operating 8-10 wide. 2000 pts of ToW has a surprisingly small number of game pieces compared to say a standard 4500 pts of T9A or late 8th edition 2500 pts game. I feared the game might feel cluttered but it didn't. Especially since in most games a wide area in the middle of the table should be open as per terrain set up rules. :)
fitzlock

#141 Post by fitzlock »

Giladis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:50 pm In my games so far I found infantry units mostly operating 8-10 wide. 2000 pts of ToW has a surprisingly small number of game pieces compared to say a standard 4500 pts of T9A or late 8th edition 2500 pts game. I feared the game might feel cluttered but it didn't. Especially since in most games a wide area in the middle of the table should be open as per terrain set up rules. :)
8-10 wide, wow really? That's so many! Maybe it's just the people I play against but we didn't really play with hordes in 8th and we also play with a fair bit of terrain, not always keeping the middle open, so past a certain point units lose a lot of maneuverability. We find games are a lot more interesting if there are buildings or similar large terrain creating corridors.
Morgen

#142 Post by Morgen »

Any kind of special feature should be placed in the center of the table. Crazy to think of people are trying to get away with 10 wide infantry blocks again. Sounds risky.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#143 Post by Prince of Spires »

The incentives are very different between 8th and TOW for going wide.

Horde was a gimmick, and it gave a relatively small extra number of attacks for a lot of points invested. With step-up and fighting in 2 ranks, the third rank didn't add all that much, relatively speaking. If you were up against 5 wide, you would need 30 models, who would get 21 attacks, compared to 14 for just 7 wide and 2 ranks. Twice as many model, but only 33% more attacks.

In TOW it's very different. No step-up and no fighting from the second rank means that there are a lot fewer attacks going around. And since the whole front rank gets to attack (with a single attack), making units wider makes sense. Even more so since rank bonus is reduced. Only max +2 for infantry. So wider is almost always better than deeper. Same example as above. When 10 wide I get 10 attacks to the front, compared to only 7 if I'm 7 wide or 5 if I'm 5 wide. What's more, I can lose 5 models before I start losing attacks. 10 wide, and lose 5 models means I fight back with 5. 5 wide 2 deep means I don't get to fight at all if I lose 5 models.

So in TOW wider is almost always better than deeper, except if you're running out of space or if you want to go Marching Column. Exception might be spearmen, who do get step-up for the second rank, so you lose fewer attacks if models die.

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#144 Post by fitzlock »

Had my big order of MDF bases arrive today! I got about 400 25mm bases which should put me in a good place to finish my High Elves, do my Night Goblins, and still have bases left for Bretonnian infantry when I get to that project. Plenty of other sizes like 30x60, 50x75, 50x100 and 60x100 for other units/monsters in this package, plus the lance and cavalry movement trays as you can see. I have a big pile of 50mm squares already to use for unit fillers and such as well and I already had a big fat 100x150 ready for an Araknarok.

In terms of hobby, I've been working on finishing some Swordmasters as a commission. Silver armor is all done, so now it's just a case of picking out the small sections of other details like white cloth, gold decoration, gems etc.

Then I will finally be free to paint just my own models!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#145 Post by Prince of Spires »

That looks like a lovely pile of goodies!

Have fun with basing everything.

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#146 Post by fitzlock »

Approaching the finish line on the commissioned High Elves. All that's left is to add the banner to this unit and the archers, add some grass to the bases, and paint the rims. Then I can finally paint my own models! :cry:

Ielthan

#147 Post by Ielthan »

fitzlock wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:50 pm Approaching the finish line on the commissioned High Elves. All that's left is to add the banner to this unit and the archers, add some grass to the bases, and paint the rims. Then I can finally paint my own models! :cry:

Gorgeous swordmasters, some of my all time favourite models and you've done them justice
elvenmage

#148 Post by elvenmage »

Hey, great to see you getting back into it again. I'm really loving the chance to fix up and repair some of my older minis, but also paint the miniatures I'd never gotten around to painting years ago.
Your miniatures are definitely going to be something I come back to, to inspire me to continue. Great work.
God made me an atheist. who are you to question his wisdom?

Death is hereditary.