Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves - Paint Stripping

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rumor

Re: First Model Ever Painted

#31 Post by Rumor »

I like painting the end of long open sleeves like that black with a little edging of the main colour, gives the illusion of depth to the sleeve.

Kinda like this.
Bolt Thrower

#32 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Finished a noble/prince on foot. Had originally made him to be Caradryan but will use him as a multi-purpose character.

Last edited by Bolt Thrower on Sun May 30, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Iceman

#33 Post by Iceman »

looks good, but the image on the chest plate looks like it mite need a bit more definition to stand out, your missing out on a lot of detail that could add something to the model. except that really good model :D
If your interested in some commission work [url=http://novaminis.blogspot.com/][color=#0040FF]Take a look at my Painting blog. [/color][/url]
If your interested in learning some techniques [url=http://novatutorials.blogspot.com/][color=#0040FF]Take a look at my Tutorials blog. [/color][/url]
[url=http://novaminis.blogspot.com/][img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_dtFmUjTqi4c/TL7mtmbtgOI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/A8uFLZCRFb4/s400/Title.jpg[/img][/url]
Bolt Thrower

#34 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Iceman wrote:looks good, but the image on the chest plate looks like it mite need a bit more definition to stand out, your missing out on a lot of detail that could add something to the model. except that really good model :D
Thanks for the feedback! I agree on the detail. I used a wash on it, but it didn't quite stick around those details as much as I would have liked. I may revisit it with another wash or possibly pick them out with chainmail.
Bolt Thrower

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves

#35 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Finished up two RBT and crew.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#36 Post by SpellArcher »

Your Halberd guy has lost his Star Dragon!

:)

Really nice finish on the RBT.
Bolt Thrower

#37 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Started a couple of models for the next units to complete. Comments and tips are welcome as always!

Sword Master. Pretty pleased here. Went with the blue plume here after debating whether it should red which was my first thought. I thought that the blue broke up the color scheme a bit more.

Here's a silver helm model (and my first animal as well). These guys typically get proxied into dragon princes. Not sure about the gold helm or the horse's color. It's nice in its own right but not sure if it is striking enough for me. I am looking for 5 heads from the noble kit to stick on these guys so that they are more effective as DP's. Until then I'll probably hold off on these guys for a bit.

ekalb

#38 Post by ekalb »

I like the red and white look. That silver helm looks great, washes for the win!!
Fflar Starbrow

#39 Post by Fflar Starbrow »

Nice Silverhelm Bolt Thrower. What colours did you use on your horse?
We will stand defiant and emerge triumphant. Ulthuan shall never fall!

[size=85]It just ain't cool if your chrome don't shine![/size]
Bolt Thrower

#40 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Thanks for the comments!
Fflar Starbrow wrote:Nice Silverhelm Bolt Thrower. What colours did you use on your horse?
The horse is one to one tallarn flesh (sp?) foundation and skull white. Then a devlan mud wash. The horse hair is the same but adding scorched brown to the mix.
Fflar Starbrow

#41 Post by Fflar Starbrow »

Cheers. I'll give that a try on my horses for my Reavers.
We will stand defiant and emerge triumphant. Ulthuan shall never fall!

[size=85]It just ain't cool if your chrome don't shine![/size]
Bolt Thrower

#42 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Charioteers awaiting their lion chariot. Weird lighting in pic, so I'll look to repost better ones later.

Angel

#43 Post by Angel »

Nice work!
I really like the red cloth and the armour.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Bolt Thrower

#44 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Worked on what is to be my mounted BSB. Here he is armless as the banner now sits on the block. Once I get it complete, I'll hit the gems a final time and work on the base. With 8th edition looming, I am wondering about the viability of having the BSB mounted. It is my preferred setup, but we shall see how I feel after a few months of playing it that way.

Bolt Thrower

#45 Post by Bolt Thrower »

BSB with banner arm attached.

Bolt Thrower

#46 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Lion chariot mostly done. Needs a base and some touching up on the teeth and eyes of the lions.

Angel

#47 Post by Angel »

Really nice work on the BSB, and the chariot looks good as well. Nice contrast between the chariot itself and the lions that are pulling it.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Elaithnir

#48 Post by Elaithnir »

Those are some WHITE lions. Good job!
Bolt Thrower

#49 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Elaithnir wrote:Those are some WHITE lions. Good job!
Ha! That they are. Almost ghost-like in their appearance. The white is a little harsh, but it can't be said that I didn't take their name literally! :lol:
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#50 Post by Luna Guardian »

We Chracians are such great hunters that not even the SPIRITS of our prey escape us :wink:
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Bolt Thrower

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves Updated 11.18.2010 PG WIP

#51 Post by Bolt Thrower »

It's been a while since a post in here. Basically, I've been rounding out my spearmen and going through the basing task with them. Pictures of those soon to come, but first I thought I show a WIP of my test Phoenix Guard model. These guys are going to take a bit of time for me to complete, but I think it will be worth taking the time to do it. Still have the gem in the front and highlighting on the cloak to do before I assemble and paint the head and arms. Comments and criticism always welcome!

Edit: slightly better front pic.

Bolt Thrower

#52 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Half of my based spearmen. I usually run a unit 30 strong 6x5 with command. Musician still needs basing and so is not shown here. Also am working on improving the shield gems. The second pic is a closeup of my first attempt. Not too shabby but I think I need to make it more rounded.

Cpt. Korhil

#53 Post by Cpt. Korhil »

Wow these look really great! I like the red on them What did you use for the Bsb's Armour Shining gold with a delvan wash?
Aethyr

#54 Post by Aethyr »

Hey bolt, your stuffs really improved since your first posts! Looking forward to seeing more :)
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Bolt Thrower

#55 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Thanks for the comments guys! I rarely get time to paint (life always seems to get in the way :lol: ) so progress is really slow, and I have a plethora of units to work on.

On the tile now is still the 10 Phoenix Guard. A lot of pieces! It's been quite the adventure trying to plan how best to paint them up and assemble them. I'll only have 10 for now, but that's ok since I need a break from working on them.

Next up will most likely be my Island of Blood Sword Masters. Then, my unit of Island of Blood Sea Guard which I increased with 10 more of the plastic models from GW's site. After that, I will most likely move on to cavalry with a unit of 5 DP's and at least 8 silver helms.
Cpt. Korhil wrote:Wow these look really great! I like the red on them What did you use for the Bsb's Armour Shining gold with a delvan wash?
That's basically it. I based in Scorched Brown and then painted Shining Gold followed by the Devlan Mud wash. Then, I went back and highlighted with the Shining Gold again. I think that model still has some opportunity on it. Some areas of detail can be picked out a bit more. For example the little dragon on the helmet could maybe use a touch of chainmail like on the breastplate. Just to break up the gold a bit.
Aethyr wrote:Hey bolt, your stuffs really improved since your first posts! Looking forward to seeing more :)
Thanks! I've definitely felt more confident about painting, but my goal is and always will be to just get an army done and have it look nice enough to be on the table. I should be coming to a close on the Phoenix Guard in the coming week so I will post more pics then.
Jasonnz

#56 Post by Jasonnz »

Most well done sir!
It gives me heart seeing how your models have improved by taking on the tips, that mine shall improve to. Although being a slow painter and somewhat lazy painter doesn't help. ANyway once again, keep it up!
[b][color=#FF0000]~Never trust a man, who left alone in a room with a tea cosey, Doesn't try it on!~[/color][/b]
Botjer

#57 Post by Botjer »

To get those gems done easily

put a drop of devlan mud(devlan mud works best on greens and reds so experiment with the blue or black washes), on the top part of the gems, let it dry and then just a spec of white(and remember to thin down the white paint), on the top.
Bolt Thrower

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves Updated 5.29.2011 SM Test Model

#58 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Jasonnz wrote:Most well done sir!
It gives me heart seeing how your models have improved by taking on the tips, that mine shall improve to. Although being a slow painter and somewhat lazy painter doesn't help. ANyway once again, keep it up!
Thanks! I love painting, but finding the time to actually do it is a struggle. I find myself unmotivated much of the time which is a shame because I do like putting the effort into the models so that they hit the table in grand fashion.
Botjer wrote:To get those gems done easily

put a drop of devlan mud(devlan mud works best on greens and reds so experiment with the blue or black washes), on the top part of the gems, let it dry and then just a spec of white(and remember to thin down the white paint), on the top.
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of just washing it a bit to give it the "shadowy" look in the corner.

Ok, so I was getting a bit frustrated with the progress of my Phoenix Guard so I needed to take a break and try something else. I've been running Sword Masters quite often recently, so I figured I'd try a test model.

The cloth and plume here are just the base color with a wash. It still needs to be layered up and so will brighten a bit. The trim around the armour will be done in soft white, and the gems need to be completed as well. I'm going for dark hair on these guys so it is based chaos black and I'll be adding some highlights to it as well for depth.

One of the things that I want to achieve with the Sword Masters is a subtle difference with their blades. I went with a sort of "white gold" look to just have them stand out a bit. I'm pretty pleased with it overall, but I would like some feedback especially on the part between the hilt and the blade. I did the hilt in my typical gold fashion, but was concerned that if that gold met the white gold of the blade it might look weird. So, I broke it up by painting that little bit in between a dark, dulled silver. Now, I think that part may look better just as the normal gold.

Any thoughts?
Bolt Thrower

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves Updated 5.29.2011 SM Test Model

#59 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I'm such a project hopper. I have very little time painting, and still I get easily bored working through certain projects or painting the same thing. This leads me to start new units before old ones are finished resulting in half painted units on the table, etc. I guess some progress is better than none right?

So, my sword master unit has seen attention lately. One model is done completely save for basing, shown here. The rest of the unit has the armour complete and half the rest have robes complete as well.

So, I started to get bored with these guys for now and decided to take a look at my dragon. Originally, I was going to go red as that is the main color of my army, but after speaking to my wife about it she suggested I have too much red going on. Her favorite color is green, so she requested a green dragon to set it more apart from the rest of the army. Green it is then! I just started him last night so only primed for now but I labeled the colors on the pic that I will be using for your enjoyment! :D

Bolt Thrower

Re: Bolt Thrower's High Elves Updated 8.28.2011 Project Hopping

#60 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I was the very grateful recipient of 2 boxes of white lions and another box of DP's this past weekend (at no cost to me!!). So, in classic project hopping fashion, I set aside my dragon and began assembling the white lions. I must say, I am really liking the models! In pictures, I never liked the old or new models, but after assembling half a box my mind is changed. I enjoy how they look about to slam into the enemy!

I also have a mind to convert a Radiant Prince of Chrace. The champ's axe with a mage's staff bit attached to the top so that it appears as the weapon is both wand/staff and axe. Then the off hand can be the lion's paw hand. Could be fun!

For the paint job, I am thinking instead of my normal silver or gold armour to paint it as if it is an enameled white armour with gold trim details. Not sure how I'm going to achieve this but I have a few ideas using 'Ard Coat to give the armour that enameled sheen.

I'll try to get a test model up in the coming weeks--sheesh, I need more free time in my life!