Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2024 – Carnivorous Carnival)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated 3/3/11)

#31 Post by Mireadur »

Wow the armour looks great. that kind of black armour with blue reflections is actually really difficult to achieve. Then the golden and the cloaks is also really good applied and good looking!

I would only make the halberd blades in that same blueish-black. It will look way better then i believe. Also more pics of them pls =) Id like to see in closer your black/blue armour technique if possible.

The bretonnian archers look awesome btw. The painting style you used fits them like a glove + bow strings quality touch.

EDIT: 1 more consideration about the PG. The standard bearer's helm and scalemail look way better than the others (champions similar), it appears that you washed them with devlan mud more than the others? it looks much much better than the more plain golden of the other guards =).
Sturen

#32 Post by Sturen »

Thanks. I do have some more pictures of the armour closer up, they aren't great though...

I started off with a layer of necron abyss and then highlighted the bottom areas (I thought of each "plate" of armour like a dark blue gem) with mordian blue. I'm not sure if I went all the way to enchanted blue on the bottom parts. Then the fun (and difficult) bit: I mixed enchanted blue with white and highlighted all the edges with it. Then I gave it all a wash with asurmen blue and then gloss varnished it. I think I was a little heavy handed with the gloss though D: I think the gloss is doing the heavy lifting tbh, though it looked pretty cool before the wash, but not like I wanted.

Hmm I wasn't sure about the colours of the axes, I did them gold because I didn't really want any silver on them, but blue black could be good. I don't know how my technique will hold up on such a large area though. I will give it a try though.

Hehe the armour on those two looks like it had more wash because they're the only ones I've washed so far :P. The gold is just a flat coat on the others so far.

And today I painted a brettonian horsie because I also have 12 knights :shock:

Lets call the yellow "work in progress" :roll: Its a nightmare.

I am at a bit of a loss for the colouring of the trim and tassles on the PG. I was going to paint them all cream, because I'm reluctant to bring another blue into the colours. But I felt that could be too bland.

For the reigns of the horse I was going to paint them red, as a unifying colour for the whole unit, and with the archers, but I don't know if that would be too busy. Having said that, busy and brettonian knights go together like fish and chips... :lol:
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Mireadur

#33 Post by Mireadur »

If you mix yellow with white that coat will cover much better than a lot of pure yellow. Once you have this one you can go over with the pure yellow.

WIll be waiting to see those finished PG =)
Sturen

#34 Post by Sturen »

Possibly the biggest update ever, photobucket is informing me that I am uploading 21 photos...

Starting with one of my recent projects, something that I really just had fun with and went a little nuts: 20 chaos marauders. My first experiment into heavy converting: Bits of green stuffing and plenty of kitbashing.

The front rank. From left to right: saurus head with arm used as neck, angry cold one head with two axes, flying marauder (awaiting appropriate wings) with his walking banner companion (who you can't see), boring musician and boring flail man.

The second rank. From left to right: tentacle arm, boring guy, green stuff arm man, two more boring guys.

And a shot of the green stuffed arm. Not perfect, but I'm pretty pleased for my first attempt.

The third rank. Left to right: lion head, two boring guys, green stuffed belly, another boring guy.

A close up of the belly, inspired by the recent plastic nurgle lord.

And the back rank, from right to left: blade arm, boring, boring, another spike arm with a strange head on a stick thingy, skin tester.

And finally a picture of the skin tester, extremely pleased with the colour.

Yes, I said "finally", but don't worry, I have plenty more!

A mage, don't know how no photos of him have made it online, he's been finished a while

And a mounted prince. Still a WiP, but the gold, blue and silver are largely done:

And I've also been kitbashing elves, a rather OTT BSB, the PG is there because, well, he doesn't stand up :roll: You might just be able to notice that he is missing the rear of his torso. That's a plus of the new WL box, I've got plenty of torso fronts, which a creative use of a cloak can easily hide!

And just for you Mireadur, I tried the blue shiny effect on the axe blade, I'm afraid it isn't too good. Luckily, if there's one thing WDs teach, it's painting powerweapons! More research needed.

And finally (really finally this time), my first Dreadfleet ship. The models are pretty awesome, and the game is a lot of fun.

Whew! I'm now putting all my paint mojo into my secret santa project, after it's confirmed received I'll post up some pictures of it. I think it might be the best model I've ever painted, I'll be sad to see it go!

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated 21/11/11)

#35 Post by Elithmar »

Excellent painting on the ship! I also love the BSB to bits, even if he is a bit OTT. ;)

Marauder conversions are nice too, characterful. But...CHAOS?!? :shock:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Dragonlord Hailthir

#36 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

Interesting kit bashing. I love the choice of colors for the Phoenix Guard.

Only comment; if you thin out your paint a little more and build up the thin layers, you'll get smoother finish. I use to do the same thing when I started out. Aside from that, it's a really good job.

Regards,
Hailthir
Jimmy
Centurion

#37 Post by Jimmy »

Loving the colour scheme you've chosen on the elves, in particular I like the mage, great job!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Sturen

#38 Post by Sturen »

Excellent painting on the ship! I also love the BSB to bits, even if he is a bit OTT.

Marauder conversions are nice too, characterful. But...CHAOS?!?
Thank you, my BSB is a little insane! What can I say, I saw those two archer banners, and I couldn't resist :roll:

Yep, chaos! It's not my chaos, but I am still working on it. Belongs to my dad, and he has gifted their painting to me.
Interesting kit bashing. I love the choice of colors for the Phoenix Guard.

Only comment; if you thin out your paint a little more and build up the thin layers, you'll get smoother finish. I use to do the same thing when I started out. Aside from that, it's a really good job.
Thanks! My paint is improving I hope. The mounted lord is my most recent model, and I think he has pretty smooth paint overall.
Loving the colour scheme you've chosen on the elves, in particular I like the mage, great job!
Glad you like them. The red was just something I thought sounded good, and luckily it turned out well!

Nothing new to show today, secret santa requires the highest level of security!

Caradryal

#39 Post by Caradryal »

Some really nice work in here mate I like it all to be honest :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Sturen

#40 Post by Sturen »

I'm... back? It's been literally years since an update so I wish I could unleash pictures of a magnificent completed army, sadly I've been away from the forum and painting and gaming in general. BUT I have recently found new enthusiasm for painting and so have a few bits and pieces to show off.

Firstly for those reading from the beginning you'll have seen mention of the secret santa (from 2011...) model that was promised and of which I have no photos :( I would hate to let you down (and want to show it off :wink: ) so simply click here.

And now, new things!

To begin a couple of pretty old metal models (I believe Brettonians?) which I picked up on ebay very cheaply.
I aimed to match the colour of the archers you can see above and go for something slighty fancier to befit the metal status. I'm not convinced by the stripes - they give the model a tiger camouflage sort of effect which obscures some of the detail imo.

And then another cheap ebay find, a bunch of heroquest orcs and goblins. These sculpts are a lot of fun and really quick and satisfying to paint up in batches. I have about the same number of orcs again and a bunch of chaos warriors too, though none of the heroes or other interesting models :( I'm planning to rebase the lot as the heroquest bases are spectacularly impractical - just need to find an easy way to chop them off. The orcs aren't quite finished but look pretty good en masse.

Let me know what you think! Any suggestions for colours on the HQ chaos warriors?

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated - first time in 3 years!)

#41 Post by Prince of Spires »

Now that is a trip down memory lane. I loved Heroquest when I was a kid. Played a fair bit of it, though I'm not sure if I ever actually managed to finish the campaign. I was only 8 or 9 when playing it though, so that might explain the lack of persistence... And they are actually pretty great sculpts. For monopose models 25 years old they have a lot of character and wouldn't look out of place as a unit in an O&G army. Don't know about size though. Are they a bit smaller then regular WH models?

If you want to complete your heroquest collection I would suggest you keep browsing ebay. A quick search gave me heroquest complete and heroquest for instance.

I might just raid my parents basement to see if I can dig up the game and play with friends a bit. Next time I see them that is.

As for the HQ chaos warrior colors, depends a bit on what you want to do with them. If you want to turn them into real chaos warriors, I would personally keep them dark. If you want to turn them into some kind of elite orks then I would match them to their color scheme. Just a bit less rusty.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Sturen

#42 Post by Sturen »

They are indeed quite nice models, very simple but with nice clear shapes. They are very clear 2D casts though, particularly in the chaos warrior's case. They're also pretty tiny compared to modern models. I took this scale shot next to a random spearman which are already smaller than more modern high elves.

The orc barely reaches shoulder height and the goblin is waist high on the elf. They probably wouldn't mix well with modern orcs sadly.

I am indeed browsing around ebay regularly for anything I can spot. I think all these HQ models were under £20 and I'll probably continue just picking up bits and pieces rather than trying to score the full box which tend to be pretty expensive due to that exact nostalgia :wink: I wasn't part of the heroquest generation so to me it's simply an old board game :?

I'm going to make them actual chaos warriors, they're too armoured and as you can see very different sized to the orcs so I'm considering either a dark modern style or a classic "red period" gaudy look. I think a deep red could look pretty great though, I'll see what colour I feel like painting!

I've pretty much just been searching "warhammer job lot" on ebay and picking out stuff that looks reasonable and cheap, hence the fairly random selection of old models. I also have 18 modern zombies who just needed a little TLC, a classic morheim elf hero (aenur I think?) and a few monopose WE (I think) archers and even more brettonian starter set knights/archers. It's been a lot of fun opening up the £5 "job lot" box you've only seen blurred pictures of and sorting what's salvageable from it!

Sturen

#43 Post by Sturen »

Now some zombies! I recieved these in rather poor condition but fortunately unpainted. With a bit of work I think they look presentable, they're only zombies after all. This photo is just basecoats and they've yet to be washed or highlighted but I thought I'd at least show that I've done something!

Apologies for the poor pictures! I'm going for pretty realistic skintones and a ragtag sort of look. The skin will look much more pallid once washed though, can't have them looking too healthy :wink:

Sturen

#44 Post by Sturen »

Zombies are making good progress! There's still a bit of work to do but they definitely look tabletop ready I think.

The front rank are the most complete so they got a close up :wink:

Nyeave

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated - 100% more zombies)

#45 Post by Nyeave »

Wow that’s a lot of WIP armies. High Elves, Brettonia, Warriors, Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins. Do you manage to play them all?
I had a look through the old log and I really must try that blueblack armor from your PG myself – looks great.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated - 100% more zombies)

#46 Post by Sturen »

Only the elves and sorta the warriors are a complete army, the rest are just odds and ends I enjoy painting. I don't play very much any more, I don't even own a 8th edition elf book! Thanks, I really need to pull my finger out with those PG and finish them off... For the near future however I need to get to work on my secret santa project :twisted:

Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated July ‘21 – 7 years later!)

#47 Post by Sturen »

I’m back! Drifted away with AoS and being a student, but now having been graduated and working for a couple of years, and especially locked down, I turned back to Warhammer! Turns out I’d sold almost everything except the elves, so a lot of the models above are gone. But there are enough elves to paint to keep me going for another seven years or so #-o

Anyway, I then found a neat little gaming store in my new city, which is conveniently just starting a 7th edition fantasy group – though the ringleader (dwarf player :roll: ) has something against ASF 7th ed elves and has picked a moment in time just before it was released – 6th ed book is a bit of a stinker so I’m working on him..!

But anyway, to introduce myself in the store I bought a small set of paints, a cheap brush, and got to work on this old metal guy who’d been bouncing around since I got him from Ebay nearly decade ago (yikes!)

Pretty chuffed for a first swing after all this time!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated July ‘21 – the 7 Year Upda

#48 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome back Sturen.

:)

Sounds like you're starting to get back in the swing. Interesting model, the way you've done the inside of the cloak gives a striking contrast.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#49 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looks pretty good. And it's great that you've found an active gaming group. It always helps in the hobby to have people to share it with. :) It does feel a bit dumb and arbitrary to put the cut-off point for what you play halfway through an edition... Though HE were fairly overpowered when they first came out. They just lost that again as more books came out afterwards. Nothing to be done about it I guess. (Though I would personally just play 8th edition ;) )

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Sturen

#50 Post by Sturen »

SpellArcher wrote:Welcome back Sturen.

:)

Sounds like you're starting to get back in the swing. Interesting model, the way you've done the inside of the cloak gives a striking contrast.
Thanks! I felt a little intimidated by all the open cloth areas so I thought bold colours, a simple freehand, and the fiery sword (which isn’t in the picture) would give enough visual interest.
Prince of Spires wrote:Looks pretty good. And it's great that you've found an active gaming group. It always helps in the hobby to have people to share it with. :) It does feel a bit dumb and arbitrary to put the cut-off point for what you play halfway through an edition... Though HE were fairly overpowered when they first came out. They just lost that again as more books came out afterwards. Nothing to be done about it I guess. (Though I would personally just play 8th edition ;) )
Yes, I’d have chosen 8th too! But the group has only just formed with a good few new-to-fantasy players, and the last thing it needs is to splinter or have multiple rule sets in conflict. I’ll quietly lobby away with my 7th edition book and weak list building, until I get my way. After all I have 25 phoenix guard, and in 6th they’re the same as 7th, same cost, but with no ward save and in the rare slot! Can’t be having that!

Speaking of weak list building, I got a game in this weekend! 1000 points against a total beginner with dark elves. I ran a level 2 mage with ring of fury and silver wand (extra spell and bound spell), 25 spears, 10 Swordmasters, 5 dragon princes, a lion chariot and a bolt thrower. He had 2 bricks of 20 corsairs, 20 warriors with repeater crossbows, a basic sorceress, and two bolt throwers of his own.

I started by putting my dragon princes on my right flank opposite his crossbows, with the rest of the army on the left. The mage sits in the spears with the Swordmasters to their left behind a forest, and the chariot beside them. The bolt thrower sits near the dragon princes to maximise enemies in it’s view. My logic was to have the terrain shield the infantry, avoid concentrated fire on my Swordmasters, and get stuck straight in to his crossbows with my knights. I roll up a good set of spells: fury of khaine, shield of saphery (swapped because arrow attraction doesn’t do much for me), and courage of aenarion.

The dark elven battle line: the round based Corsairs were crossbow armed warriors.

The Asur respond, deployed against the front of the deployment zone to negate the shooting disadvantage.

I took first turn and went full speed ahead, swinging the dragon princes into position to charge the crossbows the following turn, and pushing my infantry up towards his Corsair blocks. Magic did nothing as he dispelled my bound spell and I rolled poorly for my real spells (quite a pattern this game). I shot off a couple of crossbowmen and braced for impact on his turn.

His infantry shuffled backwards to maybe squeeze out another turn of shooting, before he launched a bolt thrower shot toward the flank of my poorly angled dragon princes. It hits and wounds but I make a 5+ and they live to tell the tale. The crossbows take their attempt at the same target but the 2+ armour easily protects Caledor’s finest. Not so lucky for the Swordmasters on the far flank, who despite light cover lose three elves to the other reaper, but pass their panic check. His minimal magic phase sees him fail to cast anything either.

On my turn I begin by declaring a charge with my dragon princes into the crossbows. The stand and shoot bounces off and I’m in. The infantry and chariot push further up – daring the corsairs to charge. Both my spears and swords would be quite happy to receive a charge instead of a volley from the reaper. My magic fails again, dreadful rolling doesn’t even see me cast shield of Saphery (5+) on two dice. My bolt thrower fails to kill a single Corsair and it’s on to combat.

Come and get it.

This spells trouble.

The ten S5 attacks from the dragon princes kill the maximum possible number of corsairs: eight. With none striking back and barely a banner and rank, they test on Ld3 and fail. Their neighbours, a full twenty corsairs with sorceress, take one look at what happened to their allies, and promptly fail at Ld8 and run for it. Both units just avoid the table edge but this was a pivotal and disastrous moment for the druchii.

Oh dear…

On his turn, sensing impending doom, he charges his other Corsair block into my spearmen. With a sense of pure dread he picks up the dice to rally the crossbows, and rolls an 8. They turn to face down the dragon princes one again. Now he just needs his sorceress and her retinue to have the same courage. Two sixes sees them decide otherwise and depart the table: ouch. Undeterred, he turns to his shooting phase for salvation. Once again the terrible reaper, at point blank range, lines up a shot to avenge it’s brethen. This time dragon armour fails and two knights are knocked from their saddles. The crossbows (we weren’t sure but decided rallied units could shoot) fired off another volley and this time scored another kill. The other bolt thrower slaughters three more Swordmasters, leaving a mere four standing. Thats the sort of shooting phase I’d been fearing. Turning to the clash of the spears and corsairs, terrible rolling on both sides sees us deal a single wound each, but due to the elven ranks and outnumbering, he loses by two, and fails a Ld6 test. I pursue but don’t catch him, and the dark elven lines are looking rather broken. At this point we could really have called it, but fair play to my opponent who took it all courageously and played it out.

The following turn, the Swordmasters charge the bolt thrower. The remaining two dragon princes fancy their chances against the crossbows and charge again. In a fun twist, the elves kill a dragon prince with their stand and shoot, and the last knight doesn’t fancy his chances, fails his panic test, and flees. However, the spears have also charged the crossbows, and they make it in against the remaining ten elves. In combat, the Swordmasters dispatch the bolt thrower easily, and the spearelves do enough damage to the crossbows that they are holding on insane courage. They promptly fail and flee the board.

Man of the match left in a compromising position.

With a grimace, the dark elven general tries try to rally the final unit of corsairs: and fails. They flee, and with only a single bolt thrower remaining, it really was time to call it. Safe to call it a crushing high elven victory.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

Congrats on the win. Looks like a fun battle. 1000pts are always a bit strange battles, since army balance is often a bit off. But it reads like your opponent was a good sport and you had fun, which are the main things. Some luck perhaps with making some of the saves and having the DE unit panic. But that's part of the game. And it's a learning experience for your opponent as well.

Check out my plog

Nyeave

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated July ‘21 – the 7 Year Update)

#52 Post by Nyeave »

Welcome back. Good to see another old name return to Ulthuan

And yeah. Get that ringleader to accept the 7th edition book - there is so much funs tuff in there :)
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
MasterOfNone

#53 Post by MasterOfNone »

Fun battle report, and pity that you are a bit too far for me, I live in Cheshire and also am struggling finding people to play with.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Sturen

#54 Post by Sturen »

Thanks all! It was certainly a one sided battle: really he had nothing that could stop my dragon princes except great rolling on his bolt throwers. Once he gets a BSB for rerolls all will be well. I’m sure the dark elves will return with a vengeance, I’ve already seen a painted bolt thrower so he’s still keen!

That’s a shame you’re a little too far, but if you’re ever in Birmingham let’s roll some dice :) Surely Manchester has some wargaming going on though!

I’m hoping to keep this thread going by combining painting/hobby with some battle reports. So, I thought I’d drop by and post my finally completed IoB mage. For when my dragon mage (another 7th edition innovation :twisted: ) is knocked off his dragon! Hopefully my next update will be ten completed Phoenix Guard. Which just leaves 15 to go…

Nyeave

#55 Post by Nyeave »

Just went back through my old posts - I couldn't recall why your name rang more of a bell than many others. Then I noticed I was your Secret santa back in 2014 :)
Sturen

#56 Post by Sturen »

Nyeave wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:12 am Just went back through my old posts - I couldn't recall why your name rang more of a bell than many others. Then I noticed I was your Secret santa back in 2014 :)
No way! I've still got that Necromancer, definitely my best painted miniatures are my two Secret Santa models! Those secret santas were a lot of fun, I remember I painted a vampire and beastman, and ended up buying a whole box of Bestigors to convert him up!

MasterOfNone

#57 Post by MasterOfNone »

Speaking of Secret Santa, it would be a nice thing to bring back, if someone wants to organise it and those who sign up take it seriously.
Maybe to help people meet the deadlines we could lower the bar in terms of requirements...
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#58 Post by Elithmar »

Secret santa was fun, although it usually took me until the following June to send mine. :? Might be a bit hard to do now with fewer people around - removes quite a lot of the mystery when there are only a handful of people involved!

Loving the multi-coloured magic fire, by the way. :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Sturen

#59 Post by Sturen »

Yeah the challenge is probably numbers. Back in the day we had enough people it felt like a big thing without being so big as to be chaotic! And fantasy character models, at least for elves, are now collectors items on eBay :shock:

I’ve got a list to have a work on for a game this weekend. It is suffering from a bit of “trying to fit too much in-ism”. I’d love to get an archmage to dominate magic but it’s not quite going to happen. Anyway, for 2000 points against a probably King Thorgrim dwarf army (7th rules, my 7th army book, his 6th army book):

Dragon Mage, level 2, Silver Wand and Guardian Phoenix: 420
Fun, and with “sort of” 9 magic dice on average I can make a good attempt at every spell and hopefully cause some havoc. We’ll see how much artillery he brings…
Noble BSB, dragon armour, barded steed, lance, shield, Battle Banner: 218
Find the nearest non-stubborn dwarven block and roll it over along with his dragon prince friends.
10 Archers: 110
25 Spearmen, command: 250
Well it’s core. And the spearmen are painted.
25 Phoenix Guard, command and Banner of Sorcery: 455
Great models, fear is strong in 7th, sadly S4 sucks against dwarves.
6 Dragon Princes, command and Helm of Fortune: 255
Delivery unit for 3-8 static combat resolution, and a 1+ rr to protect the BSB from nasty challenges.
10 Swordmasters, command, Talisman of Loec: 190
Swordmasters are painted and I had the points for a suicidal champion.
Bolt Thrower: 100
Probably won’t do much but I’d feel naked without it.

I’m pretty aware the spears, phoenix guard, dragon mage, and even Swordmasters aren’t really optimal. But they’re either painted (spears, swords, some PG) or just cool (dragon mage, rest of the PG). And I don’t want to bring the pain since my 7th edition book was strong when released. Anyway, I love the smell of singed beard in the morning.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#60 Post by Prince of Spires »

If there's enough people interested in Secret Santa then I'd be willing to get stuff organized again. But we'll need at least 5 participants and preferably somewhere around 10. And I'm not sure we'd get there at the moment. I do know I don't really have enough time to get a model assembled and painted on time to send out before christmas.

Good luck on the upcoming battle. It looks like a fun list (though I agree with you that it is in no way optimized). The biggest challenge will probably be keeping the Dragon mage alive. If there's a bunch of cannons in the dwarf list he's likely to die T1. The Swordmasters are actually decent in the 7th ed book, if you can get them into combat. I feel your list has enough threats on the table that they should be fine. And with true ASF (as in, they have it regardless of their weapon) and no step-up, the shouldn't take too much damage in return. 10 S5 W6 attacks is pretty good.

From what I remember from 7th ed. the main trick with a HE army was to get enough attacks into a unit so that you didn't get too many attacks in return. That way, your T3 models actually survived combat.

let us know how the battle went!

Check out my plog