Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Fallen paladins 4/04/22

#1291 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:FW chaos mammoth
Yes please!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1292 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yeah, let's go with the Chaos Mammoth first! That's definitely a bad-ass model.

And we'll survive some 40k pictures.... Not as good as WH ones of course, but we'll live.

;)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1293 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:15 pmAnd we'll survive some 40k pictures
Yep, very welcome.
Mireadur

#1294 Post by Mireadur »

Almost finished with the skeletons. This is a unit of hunters with hounds (eventhough the undead hounds look like horses), but these are the only skeletal hounds i found in the internet and i couldnt know how big they were until i got them on my hands anyway... I may use them as wargs instead.

I have only 2 more skeleton hunters to paint and then by the end of this coming week i should be starting a special unit for my HE. Its the bolt thrower from that flying chariot they released used as a small support team for seaguard units. After this i will start and hopefully finish the mammoth castle during May.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. skeletal hounds & trackers 24/04/22

#1295 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:48 pm eventhough the undead hounds look like horses
They are on the large side. They look fine with the handlers though.
Mireadur wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:48 pm Its the bolt thrower from that flying chariot they released used as a small support team for seaguard units.
This sounds interesting.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1296 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look great :) I agree that they're fine, size wise. You could just call them undead wargs instead of just wolves and get away with it.

And looking forward to the skycutter bolt thrower. Sounds like a fun custom project.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1297 Post by Mireadur »

Quick update with a group shot because i just finished the last 2 skeletons of that warg handlers unit. Its amazing how much i painted in just 3 months. (2 and a half the skeleton part only).

Going to basecoat the seaguard bolt thrower and begin tomorrow. Later today im going to play a 40k game through this computer game called tabletop simulator. You should try it out guys, is wonderful for 40k. Unfortunately i havent found it as nice for fantasy; still need to do some research. Its an amazing solution for people like me, who spend most of the year away from home and friends and who cant bring the models with me.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1298 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:10 pm Its amazing how much i painted in just 3 months.
Impressive indeed Mireadur.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1299 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a lot indeed. And the quality is superb.

Do you find that the skeletons / undead are faster to paint than Elves? Or did you just have more time to paint?

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1300 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys. It takes me around 2-2,5 hours (depending if its got shield and spear) to paint a new GW skeleton, those armoured 3rd edition ones took me little more than 1 hour only! For the characters ive been employing around 7 hours each. Meanwhile elves are taking me from around 4 hours the maidens till up to 7 hours each IoB seaguard! And characters are between 7 and 12 hours.Also elves are quite brain intensive for me, having to think about the light sources and trying smoother blends. Thats what i love about skeletons, i can get home from a hard day at the workshop and still do some painting and get relaxed in the process.

Still i did a crazy amout of painting these months. It was around 4 hours a day the month i was sick and been a solid 2 hours/day once i resumed work. Last couple weeks ive been painting less as im feeling not so well again.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1301 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 pm im feeling not so well again.
Sorry to hear it.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1302 Post by SpellArcher »

Sorry to hear this.
Mireadur

#1303 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:13 pm
Sorry to hear this.
Thanks, I hope eventually it goes fully away. But its been 3 months already, getting used to feel like shit at this point.

Anyway, i just finished the 1st crewman. Been meaning to do a teal/yellow scheme for a really long time, but never got to do it for some reason. So, here it is finally. Thursday i go 2 weeks on vacation, not sure i can finish the model before.

Thoughts?

EDIT: BTW guys, i bought this orange wash from greenstuffworld, its called phoenix orange intensity ink and ive got to say that its amazingly good. 1st of all it is 100% matt, 2nd it covers prefectly while not leaving any kind of dark or whiteish stains. Finally you can water it down to turn it into a glaze and still works fine.

Seriously, if you are struggling to find good washes try these. I use the GW ones, but i hate the glossy finish, so these ones are a perfect solution. Anyway i tried mixing matt varnish with the glossy GW washes (carroburg crimson and reikland flesh) and to my surprise the results were excelent: not only it killed the glossiness but also turned the wash in a completely impervious layer of paint.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. seaguard RBT WIP 02/05/22

#1304 Post by Prince of Spires »

He looks nice. I like the adition of the yellow on the sash. It gives a nice focus to the model.

Good to know about the wash. It's nice to have a good alternative to GW paints, they can get on the pricey side... And I hadn't found one so far which matched GW washes in quality. And having a matt alternative next to the glossy WH ones is pretty good.

Check out my plog

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. seaguard RBT WIP 02/05/22

#1305 Post by Mireadur »

For me is perfect as i despise glossy finishes (only use it to varnish the gems and maybe some metal piece here and there).

EDIT: woot i finished the model, not bad a bad way to come back from vacation.

Im gonna start a caledor BSB i just brought back with me from Spain and with that i will complete my High Elves after 13 years! wooot.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. seaguard RBT DONE 17/05/22

#1306 Post by Mireadur »

Working on my mounted caledor BSB and i just finished the horse. Pretty happy with the colours, instead of the dark sea green ive used on the dragon princes unit, on this one i used a normal dark green, which also works well with the red.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. SG RBT + Caledor BSB WIP 21/05/22

#1307 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:37 pm EDIT: woot i finished the model
It looks great.

:)
Mireadur wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:37 pm Im gonna start a caledor BSB i just brought back with me from Spain and with that i will complete my High Elves after 13 years! wooot.
Wow!
Mireadur wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:39 pm Pretty happy with the colours, instead of the dark sea green ive used on the dragon princes unit, on this one i used a normal dark green, which also works well with the red.
Absolutely. Red looks slightly orangey to me? No bad thing.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1308 Post by Prince of Spires »

The horse looks great. It's indeed a bit different from your normal sea green, but I think he'll still fit really well with the rest of the army and make him stand out at the same time. The red and green does feel a bit "old school". I think one of the first versions of the Dragon Princes had a red and green color scheme.

Will we be getting an army picture once you've got your High Elves complete?

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1309 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:51 pm Absolutely. Red looks slightly orangey to me? No bad thing.
Yes, the red goes into yellow, reddish orange is the perfect complementary of deep greens.
Prince of Spires wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 am The horse looks great. It's indeed a bit different from your normal sea green, but I think he'll still fit really well with the rest of the army and make him stand out at the same time. The red and green does feel a bit "old school". I think one of the first versions of the Dragon Princes had a red and green color scheme.
Yup, 4th/5th edition dragon princes were painted in red blood/dark angels green like this one.
Prince of Spires wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:19 am Will we be getting an army picture once you've got your High Elves complete?
Umm sure. I will prepare a scenic table with all the models on it and will do a big round of pictures to celebrate this epic moment.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

#1310 Post by Mireadur »

So its finally over with my elves.. Im happy but.. i feel somekind of discomfort inside.. Fortunately there always will be more elves to paint, even if they arent part of the ''needed models'' for the army.

I realize now that is done that i shoulda painted the banner background in dark blue. It would have been much better, but.. It is what it is.

All the elves i painted this year:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

#1311 Post by SpellArcher »

The BSB is great Mireadur, he almost looks really determined through his armour! Everything stands out. Maybe you're right about the banner but it still looks good and goes nicely with the Everqueen and friends.