Arcane's Photo Dump - Unexpected Chimera Project

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NexS

Re: Arcane's R3K Pic-Heavy-Log.. Currently basing phoenixes.

#31 Post by NexS »

Why did I not see this until now? :/
I like the reference to the chinese three kingdoms :)

I really like the yellow phoenix!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
ArcaneSnow

#32 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Nexs. Simple. Cause you're busy with your amazing looking lizardmen. Your work looks good.

Update on that 3rd base that scares me to make. I put in 1 whole pack of green stuff in my last picture.. I put in another half pack just now. Finally looks like a miniature tidal wave. This gives me some faith in it looking half as good as the other 2. I think I'm on the right track.
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
NexS

#33 Post by NexS »

Thanks arcanesnow!
Likewise, I like the originality. The "stIkingality" even.

I'm finding it difficult to picture what this is going to be at the end of the process. I'm guessing a tidal wave?
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
ArcaneSnow

#34 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Yea.. Tidal wave is the goal. I'm loosing sight of what I want it to be as well.. don't blame you for not seeing it. Plan is to prime and slap paint on and... fingers crossed it'll look good.

How's that flame phoenix conversion coming along. Still checking your thread hoping to see it someday soon ya know. =)
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
NexS

#35 Post by NexS »

Did you see galharen's recently, he's put up a nice tutorial on making water which may help with this base!

Ah, the phoenix.. so far I've done a little bit of gap filling in the wings but it's taken a back seat while I prepare my cold one riders for a tournament next April.
Then the Phoenix will be next in line!
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#36 Post by ArcaneSnow »

No, I'll definitely check that out.

One base down! 2 to go!

Image Image

Image Image

NexS

#37 Post by NexS »

Mean!! Looks great!
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#38 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Almost complete. I have the leaves painted and ready to go... However... It looks pretty good like this already. Kind of debating if it really needs foliage..

Image Image

Image Image
NexS

#39 Post by NexS »

... How come you have a pokeball there?

I like it, but how come?
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#40 Post by ArcaneSnow »

haha! good catch. I'm a very pop culturey guy. I've mentioned in the first picture of them that they are themed and named after the original 3 pokemon legendary birds. So... I decided it was a good idea to hide pokeballs on all 3 of the bases.
NexS

#41 Post by NexS »

"Good catch"
Puns-R-us! Love it!

To be honest, I should have picked up on that...
Regards,
Brad
RE.Lee

#42 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm still in awe of the model. Without doubt my favourite phoenix and the excellent base makes it even better! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
mcmulligan

#43 Post by mcmulligan »

Those are some very fun bases.

Well done!
ArcaneSnow

#44 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I hope you guys don't mind pictures! Because I'm finally done the 3 bases! Took me almost 2 weeks... Super glad I can finally sleep at night without having to think about these things!

Image Image
ArcaneSnow

#45 Post by ArcaneSnow »

This was the scariest base I did. I never really sculpted before. I didn't have proper textures like the wood chips of the citadel tree. The only thing I knew that can save this build was a decent paint job. I'd say I kind of pulled it off. =)

Image Image Image Image
ArcaneSnow

#46 Post by ArcaneSnow »

The completed work.

Thank you everyone for your compliments thus far. Really helped motivate me to finish these things.
Loriel

Re: Arcane's R3K Pic-Heavy-Log.. Phoenix bases complete!

#47 Post by Loriel »

... those phoenixes ...

only thing (and purely just my own personal preference) I don't generally like any "living" models on bases ( I don't have problem with buried skeletons, killed opponent etc ;) ), but yours are just mind blowing.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
T.D.

#48 Post by T.D. »

Love the Kingdom of Wu Phoenix. Exceptional.

Also really dig your theme 8)
ArcaneSnow

#49 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Loriel wrote:only thing (and purely just my own personal preference) I don't generally like any "living" models on bases ( I don't have problem with buried skeletons, killed opponent etc ;) ), but yours are just mind blowing.
Thanks. Yea.. I was skeptical at first.. I'm still not 100% sure if I'll love them when I field them in my army. But from a display standpoint, it looks pretty damn nice. haha.
NexS

#50 Post by NexS »

Most excellent. Now....
red to be used as flamespyre, blue to be used as frostheart and yellow to used as either?
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#51 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Yup. Thats the plan. I like the wake of fire rule.. under powered imo, but would love to run a double flamespyre some day.
NexS

#52 Post by NexS »

What's next on the agenda?
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#53 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I have 30 seaguards left to paint. After that... I've got about 9,000 points in fully painted highelves.. detailing work maybe?

Big projects wise.. I don't know.. maybe start Skaven-squirrels (Squaven?). I have this crazy idea of taking a zombie dragon and giving him a big fluffy tail with greenstuff and making him my squirrel hellpit abomination.
NexS

#54 Post by NexS »

As long as you insert warpstone and mechanical parts, you can get away with anything you like for a HPA!

Also, I think seaguard aren't that good. They're almost archers and almost spearmen. It's the same reason I don't like home multifunction printer/scanner/fax - they do none of their jobs flawlessly ;)
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#55 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I just love the zombie dragon model. Since I won't play VC or TK... it's kind of my only option. Not going to bother running lore of undeath.. ever. I think I can make it work. Warpstone.. Thanks for the advice. :)

Personally I hate seaguard as well. The only infantry core I like are archers. but since i have them.. I might as well speed paint through them and call it done. btw, thats a really funny comparison. Seaguards = All-in-one Printers. haha!
NexS

#56 Post by NexS »

I live on humour. It's my coffee, except coffee is my coffee.

Re Warpstone... The more the merrier. Check out some rat ogres and the current HPA. Big chunks, small chunks, any way you want it!
Regards,
Brad
Loriel

#57 Post by Loriel »

squirrel skaven... priceless mental image! I hope you get this project done ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
ArcaneSnow

#58 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I need some advice from you guys on this next project though.. I'm stumped on how I can make squirrel tails work. I've seen somewhere on the interwebs of a squirrel skaven with greenstuff molded tail. It looks good, but... thinking about hand molding over 250+ tails is already a nightmare. Not to mention green stuff isn't cheap. I've also thought about static flock and just gluing it on the existing tails... but.. i'm not sure if it's going to turn out as fluffy and full as I'd like it to be. Either way.. I'll probably try both methods out when I find some time after the Holidays.

I've somewhat developed a standard for my models now.. don't really want to just half ass this next project and have it look like crap. Any thoughts on how to approach this?
NexS

#59 Post by NexS »

you might get away with using the hair from models with ponytails, or maybe plumes from swordmasters or white lions (or the likes)
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#60 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I don't think either tails or plumes are fluffy enough though. I'll have to go hunt down some bits and take a look. I'm sort of hoping for a real big bush of a tail. Do you think there is a way to layer flock on top of each other? but not sure how to color it.. thats another problem.