Artillery battery bases

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bie

Artillery battery bases

#1 Post by Bie »

Hey there folks. My Sea Guard battalion is coming along nicely. Though admittedly I haven't even begun painting actual Sea Guard units :lol:. So while adding a third bolt thrower I got the idea of making some kind of base for my entire battery. I want to be able to use it during gaming sessions, so it has to be something not too extravagant. Ultimately it has to be useful and not only for show.

I haven't completely figured out how I'm going to do it yet. Though some basic things are already floating in my head:
- Each individual bolt thrower will be put on a 6 cm round base (as per 9th age specifics)
- These round bases will be flocked with plain grass. Keeping it similar to all other units in the battalion.
- For the battery base I want to feature some kind of artillery commander, for which I'm going to use an old school Sea Elf gun commander.
- I want to put some assorted, but fitting, bits on the base. At the very least I want to put some kind of banner on it, preferably just a pole so that I can create and print my own banner.

For the actual battery base I have to do some thinking. How large will it be? How modular will it be? What bits am I going to use? Will I magnetize it?

So I'm reaching out to any of you for inspiration. Do any of you have a finished artillery battery base or any tips?
Training the Sea Guard

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Artillery battery bases

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Bie wrote:Do any of you have a finished artillery battery base or any tips?
I’m afraid not Bie, the whole concept sounds awesome though! Will you do the individual machines on their bases first or is it going to be more involved than that?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I do square bases, but if you scroll though my stuff you'll see what I did with my Sea Elf bolt thrower along with a couple goblin war machines.
Bie

#4 Post by Bie »

SpellArcher wrote:I’m afraid not Bie, the whole concept sounds awesome though! Will you do the individual machines on their bases first or is it going to be more involved than that?
I'm not really sure yet. I will definitely use the round base for the bolt thrower itself. Then I thought of making square 10x10 or 8x8 bases for each individual unit, with slots for the bolt thrower and its crew. On top of that I want to make something with three slots that would allow me to fit the square artillery bases. Then again, when drawing it out it seemed quite bulky to me and ultimately not that useful. So as said, I'm not sure yet.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I do square bases, but if you scroll though my stuff you'll see what I did with my Sea Elf bolt thrower along with a couple goblin war machines.
Those are definitely some nice bases. Hopefully I can manage to make mine like those :)
Training the Sea Guard

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Let us know how it goes!
Bie

#6 Post by Bie »

Still in the concept phase. Did another mockup with paper and decided this time to create an 8cm round "hub" with some place for a table, the battery commander and a banner. This hub can then be connected to each separate bolt thrower unit by using a small intersection. These on their turn should fit seamlessly with each rectangular (7cm x 9cm) unit base.

In short this should be compact and modular enough to be useful, while still aesthetically pleasing. Well, we'll see how this turns out. I might still go at it in a completely different way.

Training the Sea Guard

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Bie wrote:aesthetically pleasing
Very much so I suspect.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

I really like the idea. And it looks like a fun project.
Bie wrote:useful, while still aesthetically pleasing
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on high elves in general ;)

Except for the helmets that is. They just aim for tall and pleasing...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Bie

#9 Post by Bie »

I'm hoping to start the bases soon. I should have everything I need. These are some of the bits I'm probably going to use:

Training the Sea Guard

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Those should work nicely. I'm a little jealous of that table.
Bie

#11 Post by Bie »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Those should work nicely. I'm a little jealous of that table.
It's from the Ainsty Castings "Trader Town" range. And luckily it's not even that expensive.

https://www.ainstycastings.co.uk/product/small-table/
Training the Sea Guard

Karak Norn Clansman

#12 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Lovely start and plans! Keep at it. :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I'm a little jealous of that table.
I had this exact same feeling when I saw it. That's so useful for any kind of battlefield display, as a unit filler or in a lot of terrain projects. Great find. :D

Nice collection of bits and pieces. They should work well enough for your artillery battery.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Bie

#14 Post by Bie »

Progress has been made:

Training the Sea Guard

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

The Commander is a great model, I have him in my army.
Bie

#16 Post by Bie »

Haven't had much time to paint, but I did manage to complete the table.

Training the Sea Guard

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#17 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking pretty good. I like the little details like the "writing" in the books.

Just something I realized just now. I wonder why anyone would bring a candle to a table which is standing outdoors on a battlefield... ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Bie

#18 Post by Bie »

Prince of Spires wrote:Looking pretty good. I like the little details like the "writing" in the books.
Just something I realized just now. I wonder why anyone would bring a candle to a table which is standing outdoors on a battlefield... ;)

Rod
Shhh, the Warhammer world is a dark and windless place with low precipitation :wink:

Seriously, I thought the same thing while painting it, but I kept it on just for it to be complete. I'd probably lose the candlestick if I'd leave it somewhere.
Training the Sea Guard

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

Bie wrote: Shhh, the Warhammer world is a dark and windless place with low precipitation
:lol: =D>
Good point. Judging by the rules for terrain in the BRB, all terrain features in the Warhammer world are magical somehow. Or rather, 5 out of 6. I now wonder if people bring dice if they go for a walk, just to figure out what kind of forest they're walking through or what kind of wall that is. So it figures that if everything is magical then you can definitely use a candle to light your way. ;)
Bie wrote: Seriously, I thought the same thing while painting it, but I kept it on just for it to be complete. I'd probably lose the candlestick if I'd leave it somewhere.

I completely understand the decision. I would do the same thing. It was more the chain of thought in my head. "Nice table with lovely details". "I like the candle". "Wait, what? Who would bring a candle to a battle?" That sort of thing...;)

It does look nice and does a good job of filling the space on that side of the table. And I doubt many people will pay it enough attention to consciously notice it :) Except if they've read these posts of course, then they can't unsee it ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#20 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Clearly the only solution is the put a tent over the table.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#21 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:"Nice table with lovely details"
This. It calls to mind the picture on page 62 of the 8th Edition DE book for me.