Hello!

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lynve

Hello!

#1 Post by Lynve »

Hail fellow Asur!

Since the Curse of CAPTCHA has been lifted, I - a long-time lurker, am finally able to properly join the community.

My first encounter with the hobby dates way back to anno domini 2002, when I mustered my first spearmen regiment and I've been hooked ever since, expanding my forces even after the End Times hit. I'm hoping to set up a painting log here, which will keep me motivated to paint my gray miniatures with glorious teals and yellows of Chotique. I mainly play 8th edition (once a month or so, due to scarsity of players who play 8th in my area) so most of my tactical knowledge comes from that edition. I also play lots of Vermintide 2 and various Total War titles + occasionally go back to Age (Return) of Reckoning for old times sake, so if anyone's interested to have a friendly online battle or exterminate some vermin, let me know.

On a side note - do keep in mind English is not my first language, so I probably will make outrageous mistakes for which I am terribly sorry. :roll:

That'll be all for now.
Cheers!
Olthannon

Re: Hello!

#2 Post by Olthannon »

Hey welcome! Can't wait to see your painting log, we should try and keep each other motivated to paint as we get on. I too have been playing a lot of total war and vermindtide, didn't play enough of the second game though!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:Hey welcome!
Seconded!

:)

Be great to hear about your painting and gaming exploits Lynve.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Olthannon wrote:Hey welcome!
Seconded!
Thirded! (Is that actually a word? :s )

Welcome. And we apologize for the CAPTCHA-issue. We kind of didn't notice we had an issue there...

I'm looking forward to seeing your army develop. I think we have quite a few 8th edition players around here still. And many of us indeed get a battle in maybe once a month. So you will fit right in. Don't worry about your English. It's fine. I think most people here don't speak English as a first language. And we usually understand what people are trying to say. :)

Do you have any pictures of your army? Or maybe a list of all the models you have assembled already?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

English is my first language, German is my 2nd. And everyone here is better at English than I am German.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#6 Post by Luna Guardian »

My first language isn't even remotely related to English, and I seem to manage :P

Welcome aboard Lynve, glad to see another player with an army from the Northern Kingdoms! Cothique isn't a very common kingdom to choose, how'd you come about picking it?

Also, may I recommend you check out Kings of War by Mantic? We pretty much moved from 8th to exclusively KoW over here and haven't looked back since!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Lynve

#7 Post by Lynve »

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
It's reassuring to hear my wonky writing won't be much of a problem.

I'll be coming up with a list of my pointy-eared subjects (similar to Spires'-with colors) and try to paint them on a regular basis. In fact I already took some pictures so all I have to do now is figure out how to transfer them to my PC. Expect a new thread soon

The choice of orgin for my army was a rather simple one. A coastal, chilly region with trusty (as far as eves go), practical and battle-hardened folk convinced me it's a kindgom I want my army to represent. Moreover, I was bewitched by the way teal-orange-yellow-white tones work together compared to all other blue/red combos. I actually tried going Caledor, Saphery and Yvresse before but wasn't satisfied with the color palette, apart from Caledor one maybe, but then I thought cosplaying my horses as dragons was a sad joke. And one more thing -> cavalry based boarding parties. It takes guts and a special kind of looney to fight a naval battle on a horseback.

As for switching to Kings of War - I'd be tempted to play some games, but my gaming environment is quite conservative about the games we play so that might prove tricky. Is it that much better though? How about the balance between armies? Is magic in there just as fickle as in WFB?
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#8 Post by Luna Guardian »

Lynve wrote:As for switching to Kings of War - I'd be tempted to play some games, but my gaming environment is quite conservative about the games we play so that might prove tricky. Is it that much better though? How about the balance between armies? Is magic in there just as fickle as in WFB?
The good thing about trying KoW is that its free, you can use whatever miniatures you have and all Warhammer armies have a counterpart in KoW with most if not all units represented. The basic rules are free, you can find them here and were designed by Alessio Cavatore (one of the main rules guys at GW back in the day). I've heard that KoW was the direction he and others wanted to take Warhammer, but weren't allowed due to GW business model of selling more miniatures rather than making a balanced game.

As for the balance, it is excellent. With the exception of a few armies, all are more or less on an equal footing. Elves are good, Varangur are very good, but there's no army that's similar to Daemons for example in that they're just broken. It is also still fully supported and there is an annual balance fix for ALL armies, which prevents a lot of the power-creep seen in Warhammer. Magic is simpler than in Warhammer and unlikely to be a game changer, being more utility-based than WMD-style. You won't find a Purple Sun wiping out half an army in one turn kind of spells.

I wouldn't even consider going back to Warhammer anymore honestly, but YMMV. I recommend giving it a read and a try.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Luna Guardian wrote:but there's no army that's similar to Daemons for example in that they're just broken.
While KoW may indeed be best in class for balance Luna, 8th really isn’t bad, barring ETC-level competition. Yes Beastmen struggle and some armies are stronger than others but the difference is nothing like it was in 7th.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's my experience as well. Though I do find that your and your opponents attitude to the game matters a lot. If you're both looking for a fun game on the same level of competitiveness then 8th edition works very well unless you're aiming for the toughest lists.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Lynve

#11 Post by Lynve »

So, I downloaded the rules, skeemed through them, sent them to my usual opponents and... we played a battle yesterday (Elves vs Dwarfs). No photos though, as it was more of a tutorial game. Got to say, it runs smoothly, even for first-time players (assuming they read the rules beforehand). The magic system is very much to my liking, as it does not have spells, which wipe things out of the table in a blink of a eye like the sun or dwellers. Conclusion : I guess we'll be mixing our usual 8th edition WFB/kill team parties with KoW. Thanks for convincing me to try it ;)
Though I do find that your and your opponents attitude to the game matters a lot.
That always seems to be the case. I remember having a flatmate, who always played saucy lists like 2x Hydra+Cauldron Witch Elf horde + pegasus dreadlord and unironically called it "a friendly list". Got a lot of satisfaction when he got rekt in a local club by a 12 year old with a shooty, non-torunament HE list.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#12 Post by Luna Guardian »

Lynve wrote:So, I downloaded the rules, skeemed through them, sent them to my usual opponents and... we played a battle yesterday (Elves vs Dwarfs). No photos though, as it was more of a tutorial game. Got to say, it runs smoothly, even for first-time players (assuming they read the rules beforehand). The magic system is very much to my liking, as it does not have spells, which wipe things out of the table in a blink of a eye like the sun or dwellers. Conclusion : I guess we'll be mixing our usual 8th edition WFB/kill team parties with KoW. Thanks for convincing me to try it ;)
My pleasure, glad to hear you liked it! I'm currently waiting for my FLG to get a copy of the latest rule update, Clash of Kings 2019. Apparently it has a lot of interesting new things, like balance tweaks, new spells, and siege rules!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#13 Post by Prince of Spires »

Siege rules rock! ;) or at least, they could...
Lynve wrote:That always seems to be the case. I remember having a flatmate, who always played saucy lists like 2x Hydra+Cauldron Witch Elf horde + pegasus dreadlord and unironically called it "a friendly list". Got a lot of satisfaction when he got rekt in a local club by a 12 year old with a shooty, non-torunament HE list.
That must have been epic :lol: =D>

Check out my plog

Lynve

#14 Post by Lynve »

Prince of Spires wrote:That must have been epic :lol: =D>
Aye, he turned into a grudge thrower for a few hours :D All the better, he was a rather short fella, kinda fat, had a beard and flinging insults towards elves. Best roleplay tutorial we had at the club ever 8)

Luna Guardian wrote:siege rules
Please tell me they're going to release Elf terrain along with it!
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

Lynve wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:siege rules
Please tell me they're going to release Elf terrain along with it!
Sadly no, hence my topic about castles in the painting and modelling forum :/

Lynve

#16 Post by Lynve »

Luna Guardian wrote:Sadly no, hence my topic about castles in the painting and modelling forum :/
Just saw that one. How perceptive of me :roll:

I wouldn't get too depressed though. Mantic may still release some amazing terrain later on.
Also, seeing the Azyrite Ruins box in GW store makes me think maybe them(GW) will relesae some terrains for longears, provided they finally release a proper elf faction. Other than that, it seems like we're stuck with styrofoam and our own imagination.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#17 Post by Luna Guardian »

Lynve wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:Sadly no, hence my topic about castles in the painting and modelling forum :/
Just saw that one. How perceptive of me :roll:

I wouldn't get too depressed though. Mantic may still release some amazing terrain later on.
Also, seeing the Azyrite Ruins box in GW store makes me think maybe them(GW) will relesae some terrains for longears, provided they finally release a proper elf faction. Other than that, it seems like we're stuck with styrofoam and our own imagination.
I think 3D-printing might be A solution (not necessarily THE solution). I've found a few good designs:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2610039 (actually made two of these, the look rather good!)

There's also these (scalable to Warhammer size), but they're more outpost walls, rather than castle walls (for starters, they don't have ramparts): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1401691

But I wouldn't put it past Mantic to make some terrain, it's always a possibility! They seem to be far more receptive to fans than GeeDubs ever was