Painting help - Star Dragon

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kaladin

Painting help - Star Dragon

#1 Post by Kaladin »

This is pretty much what it the title says - I have a star dragon model that I could use some help on, particularly the paint colours. Keep in mind that I'm a really average painter... :oops: :? :( and any advice would be greatly appreciated
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Painting help - Star Dragon

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think I have the original pdf article from GW about painting the HE dragon model somewhere. They used to have these available as resources on their website. I can have a look for you when I get home if you want.

In general my advise is to look for models you like and make up a paint scheme based on them. Also, don't be afraid. Big models are a lot easier (and faster relatively speaking) to paint then small single models in my experience. Just start with an idea and take it from there.

You can go with 3 approaches I think:
- Make the dragon match the rest of the army paint scheme. So if you have a red paint scheme, go with a red dragon, blue dragon for a blue paint scheme, and so on. Paint the rider to complement the dragon. By giving him a different color he will stand out and create a nice centerpiece together with the dragon.
- Make the rider match the rest of the army paint scheme. So if you have a red paint scheme, go with a red dragon, blue dragon for a blue paint scheme, and so on. Paint the dragon to complement the rider. By giving him a different color he will stand out and create a nice centerpiece together with the rider.
- Pick something completely different and go wild. It's a big centerpiece model. It works fine if it's a different color. If anything, it will help the rest of the army bind together, since it will point out that they are all (more or less) the same.

For inspiration, this is my (dragon mage) dragon:

Hope this helps. If you have some idea of where you want to go with your dragon let us know and we'll help you think it through.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Kaladin

Re: Painting help - Star Dragon

#3 Post by Kaladin »

Sorry this response has been so late. I've been kinda busy with other things.
I want the dragon to be white/blue (similar to the box design one) - this also combines with your advice, Rod, as the rest of my army is pretty much this colour scheme (I'm very imaginative) - and the rider is a prince with a lance. His arms/armour will probably be gold with silver, but I want to throw in some blue somewhere.