RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#1201 Post by SpellArcher »

I think the problem with this match-up is the reliance almost entirely on Infantry against the Vamp Lord and KB Grave Guard, who can usually outfight you. I found it a bit difficult to keep track of how the VP's scored by the smaller units were likely to end up but obviously you put up a fight there RE.

Good to see the Chariot painted. Warms the cockles!

:)
RE.Lee

#1202 Post by RE.Lee »

Undead infantry make for difficult opponents, but I really enjoyed all this meaty fighting. Especially after fighting those pesky Wood Elves recently! Glad you like the chariot - its a marvelous sculpt! I'm painting the Gors now, 15 of them.

There's still a few games left in the campaign (Tilea, Nuln, Heffengen, finale to the Karak-Eight-Peaks mini-campaign), but I'm already scheming the final clash.

Right now I'm thinking 4 sides in a Triumph&Treachery battle (Valaya's Tomb was a fun battle, so those rules work) - Chaos led by Archaon, Skaven led by Thanquol, Order led by Imrik, Undead by Mannfred. All big guys using their ET rules (Imrik is a beast!). Each faction adds normal forces to bring them up to 3000 (so between 2135 and 2350). Objectives would be: killing big guys (1VP, extra 1VP for using your own general - looking forward to some tasty clashes!), tempering with the Chaos Rift - presence within 6" at the beginning of your turn would cause 2D6 S4 hits (something more original here, maybe?) and give you 1VP.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1203 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I'm already scheming the final clash
It's suitably apocalyptic!

RE.Lee

#1204 Post by RE.Lee »

Should be a blast!

Meanwhile, the long anticipated clash in Tilea happened today.

Scenario objective: control of majority of Goblin Trappers by the end of the game (claimable by non-flying units).

Skaven List:

Grey Seer, Ironcurse Icon, Dispel
Grey Seer, Power Scroll

BSB, Storm Banner
Warlock, Level 2, Condenser
Warlock, Rocket
Warlock

39 Stormvermin, command, shields, BoDiscipline, Warpfire Thrower
37 Clanrats, command, spears, shields, Mortar
39 Slaves
34 Slaves

2x9 Gutter Runners, poison, slings
9 Censer Bearers

Warpcannon
Doomwheel

Elves:

Archmage, Level 3 High, BoH, 5+ ward
Archmage, Level 3 Beasts, Powerscroll, 4+ Ward

Wardancer Hero, PoToughess

15 Archers, command
10 Glade Guards
18 Eternal Guards
5 Reavers

10 Dragon Princes, command, BoEFlame
5 Wild Riders
7 Scouts
Treeman

Frostie
Eagle

Deployment:

So, Skaven: Clanrats sandwitched between Slaves. PCBs in the middle wood. Stormvermin further down, with 2 units of GR securing the right flank.

Elves: Glade Guards just behind the tower (wonder what their plan is...), with the Dragon Princes ready to charge out of the town. Infantry and Treeman in the middle. Wild Riders, Frosty and Reavers waiting to assault in the south.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1205 Post by SpellArcher »

The Skaven have double 13th with Power Scroll. The elf mages have short-ranged Lores, no units big enough to hide in and no Dispel Scroll. This spells trouble, to me. Their cavalry could be an issue, though you may be able to shoot the Wild Riders off.
RE.Lee wrote:Wardancer Hero, PoToughess
Potion of Strength for the win! This dude is all about the pre-emptive strike.
RE.Lee

#1206 Post by RE.Lee »

It was in fact Potion of Toughness! My opponent was concerned with keeping him alive (and benefiting from the "no rank bonus" special rule) and so went for the defensive option, hopeful he'd manage to cast Savage Beast for some extra damage if it came to that.

I only had 13th once, on the Power Scroll Seer. Since we've capped Power Dice at 5 per spell, the 13th suffered quite a nerf. I still had an advantage in the magic phase and the Elves not taking the Dispel Scroll was a bad idea probably. Again, my opponent figured the Book of Hoeth would be enough.

BTW, the spells were:

Seer Ruin: Warplightning, Warpgale, Death Frenzy, Scorch
Seer Plague: Wither, Bless with Filth, Plague, 13th (a great selection if you ask me!)
Warlock: Skitterleap, Warplightning

Elf High: Soul Quench, Tempest, Arcane Unforging, Flames
Elf Beasts: Wildform, Savage Beast and some other two

Turn 1.

I move up with my guys, just enough to be in range of spells and ranged weapons.
Magic is super weak (3vs2 I think) but thats just enough for me to power through Scorch on the Eternal Guards. I kill some 14 and then they panic and flee 11" - just off the table! Yay!
Encouraged, the missile troops open fire. First I aim the Rocket at the Archers and kill 13, leaving just the Archmage and 2 command, Gutter Runners kill a Reaver and put 2 wounds on the Frostie, Cannon misfires harmlessly, while Mortar misses the Dragon Princes.

Storm Banner on!
Seeing the potency of my ranged attacks the Elves charge wherever they can: Dragon Princes into the Slaves, Wild Riders into the Stormvermin, Reavers into the Gutter Runners. Fliers move up very slowly. Glade Guards enter the Tower.
Magic is solid and the Archmage goes for Tempest into the massed infantry in the north. He casts it with Irresistible Force, killing what remained of his bodyguards and wounding himself. Some 15 slaves die but the phase is over.
Shooting kills some Clanrats and the Warpfire Thrower.
In the combat phase the Wild Riders did what they to best and butchered some 16 of my Stormvermin, as was expected. I was counting on wiping the unit with my attacks but only managed to kill 2. Still, this should be over next turn - I reform into a deeper formation to keep that rank bonus.
Dragon Princes kill 3 ranks of slaves but I hold on steadfast. We'll see if the Doomwheel mixes things up here.
The Reavers surprisingly do no damage and I wipe them out in return.

That was quite a turn with pretty much everything going my way. The Elf magic is pretty much done for, but there are some serious combat threats (DPs, WRs, Treeman, Frostie) still intact and my bodies are melting away. Will the Skaven have that famous mid-game crisis?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1207 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:benefiting from the "no rank bonus" special rule
This is usually a trap IMHO, if it broke Steadfast it would be better. The S7 ASF attacks are almost always more important, though maybe not so much against this Skaven list.
RE.Lee wrote:hopeful he'd manage to cast Savage Beast
In my Wood Elf experience the opponent has to make a mistake for that.
RE.Lee wrote:Since we've capped Power Dice at 5 per spell
I'd forgotten this! Helps the elves a lot, though Power Scroll remains a big threat.
RE.Lee wrote:Magic is super weak
This is a classic example of how dangerous low Winds can be. Especially when your opponent neglects to bring his BSB.
RE.Lee wrote:my bodies are melting away.
That's what they're there for I guess....

RE.Lee

#1208 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:benefiting from the "no rank bonus" special rule
This is usually a trap IMHO, if it broke Steadfast it would be better. The S7 ASF attacks are almost always more important, though maybe not so much against this Skaven list.
Oh, it doesn't cancel steadfast? We assumed it would, though that never came into play. Removing Strength in Numbers is still solid however.

Savage Beast is one of those spells you just never get in when you want to. Its very situational.

Turn 2.

I charge the Dragon Princes' flank with the Doomwheel. I consider assaulting the Treeman with my PCBs but just move up right in front of him instead. Slaves pick up a Goblin
In the magic phase I cast Blessed with Filth on the Gutter Runners. First time I've thought about increasing the potency of ranged poison attacks. This is a game changer for me as the spell's short range is now much less of a problem. I also cast Wither on the Treeman an his Toughness goes down to 5 permanently.
Shooting is great as I bring down the Phoenix and also finish off the High Elf Archmage!
In combat the Dragon Princes keep grinding down the Slaves, while my Doomwheel kills some 4 of the Elves. This is not enough - the Slaves explode, while the machine hangs on, but with little chances of winning.
The Wild Riders deal some more outrageous casualties. I strike back and do nothing. The Stormvermin then fail their break test and are run down (I was just out of range of my BSB). Ouch!
The Slaves, having picked up a Goblin on the way, break the Scouts but fail to catch them.

The Treeman charges my PBCs, while an Eagle assaults the Mortar (it did nothing anyway).
With both elf wizards dead there is no magic.
Shooting kills a couple of my Slaves.
The Doomwheel flees off the table and is pursued by the cavalry. Eagle fails to kill the Mortar and even suffers a wound.
Plague Censer Bearers, having lost only two of their number to their noxious fumes (what a useless trait that is!), strike against the Treeman with 22 attack, re-rolls to hit, 4+ to wound (as he's down to T5). The Treeman has a 3+ save (down to 5+ due to my S5) and a 6+ ward. That should give me 4,5 wounds, so I may kill him if I'm lucky! However, I do 0 wounds and am thunderstomped into oblivion in turn.

What a change of fortune! I was confident after my first turn but now things look rather bleak. As always, the Treeman and Wild Riders are just unstoppable. Against all odds they keep ruining my plans and the Skaven are crumbling once again. I have total magic dominance now, however - that has to count for something!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1209 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Oh, it doesn't cancel steadfast? We assumed it would, though that never came into play.
Wood Elf book pg 45:

"Enemy units in base contact with the unit receive no combat result bonus for extra ranks."

I'm pretty sure that simply means no +1, +2 or +3.
RE.Lee wrote:Savage Beast is one of those spells you just never get in when you want to. Its very situational.
Exactly. The range is too short and there are too few targets for it. If the whole Lore was full of good spells that would help get this one off but it isn't.
RE.Lee wrote:In the magic phase I cast Blessed with Filth on the Gutter Runners. First time I've thought about increasing the potency of ranged poison attacks.
I feel the wording is a bit ambiguous about whether this applies to ranged attacks. I wonder if there's anything in the Skaven FAQ?
RE.Lee wrote:I also cast Wither on the Treeman an his Toughness goes down to 5 permanently.
Shooting is great as I bring down the Phoenix and also finish off the High Elf Archmage!
Awesome sauce!

RE.Lee wrote:However, I do 0 wounds and am thunderstomped into oblivion in turn.
:(
RE.Lee wrote:Wild Riders are just unstoppable.
While very true this is kind of like saying that the Pope is Catholic.

8)
RE.Lee wrote:total magic dominance now, however - that has to count for something!
Fingers crossed.
RE.Lee

#1210 Post by RE.Lee »

You're right about Blessed with Filth - its does say close combat only. I guess thats why I've never played it that way :lol:

Good to know about that dance effect! My opponent boasted about how it was a hard-counter for my Slaves. Guess not.

Turn 3.

Slaves charge the Scouts. Clanrats reform towards Treeman. Gutter Runners pick up Goblins and move north.
Magic is bad, as I only cast IF Warplightning on the Treeman, doing nothing. I lose a wound on both the Seer and Warlock. I can live with that.
Gutter Runners finish off the Wild Riders (yay!), while the Cannon fails to wound the Treeman (needing a 3+ - what is that thing made of?!).
Slaves break the Scouts but fail to catch. Eagle again fails to slay my Mortar crew.

Treeman charges my cannon. Dragon Princes move in position to charge the Clanrats. Scouts rally and evade.
No magic, shooting again kills a couple Skaven.
Treeman smashes the Cannon. Eagle finally kills the weapon team.

My command bunker Clanrats are having a hard time, caught between the Treeman and the Dragon Princes. Escaping the units is not really an option either, will the elf shooting still threatening...
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1211 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Good to know about that dance effect! My opponent boasted about how it was a hard-counter for my Slaves. Guess not.
Yeah, they're probably holding if within 12" of your characters RE.
RE.Lee wrote:Scouts rally and evade.
And evade?
RE.Lee wrote:My command bunker Clanrats are having a hard time
But you're doing OK on Goblins?
RE.Lee

#1212 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: And evade?
Yup - in the heat of the battle we forgot they were unable to do so :lol:

Goblins were ok at this point - 3 vs 1, but the Slaves were close to breaking point and the Gutter Runners threatened by the Dragon Princes and Treeman.

Turn 4:

I reform to face the Dragon Princes, happy to bog down the unit with my command block, that was not carrying any objectives. The Treeman in their back was just returning from off the field and so not a threat. Slaves faced the Scouts.
Magic and shooting were largely irrelevant.

Dragon Princes decide to ignore the Clanrats and march towards the hapless Gutter Runners. The Treeman advances to keep the Clanrats occupied.
Glade Guards and Scouts shoot the Slaves, attempting to panic them but I stay put.

Turn 5:
Seeing the opportunity, Clanrats charge the back of the Dragon Princes. The elves, rather surprisingly, decide to flee and, even more surprisingly, get caught! Slaves charge the Scouts, once again.
I Skitterleap myself out of the Clanrats to be able to see the Treeman, but do no damage with Warplightning. Gutter Runner shooting is ineffective, too.
The Slaves beat and run down the Scouts.

With little else to do, the Treeman approaches my remaining units.
Glade Guards again shoot the Slaves, but I pass my leadership test.

Turn 6:

I block the Treeman with my Seer (what a sacrifice!). Clanrats pick up another Goblin.
I cast Death Frenzy on my Gutter Runners to keep them from running.
Shooting does several wounds on the Treeman, leaving him with 1.

Treeman charges Seer, killing him.
Eagle charges Slaves, and gets killed.
GGs kill some Gutter Runners.

Its a 4:1 victory for the Skaven!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1213 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Clanrats charge the back of the Dragon Princes. The elves, rather surprisingly, decide to flee and, even more surprisingly, get caught!
Cue sad trombone music.
RE.Lee wrote:I cast Death Frenzy on my Gutter Runners to keep them from running.
Nice!
RE.Lee wrote:Eagle charges Slaves, and gets killed.
The Slaves were just outrageous by this point.
RE.Lee wrote:Its a 4:1 victory for the Skaven!
Hooray! It really seemed to help that you had flexible units capable of picking up and retaining those Goblins, plus you weren't afraid to sacrifice juicy stuff when it mattered.
RE.Lee

#1214 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, Slaves WFT! They had a Warlock baby-sitting them but still had only a Ld of 6 those last couple of rounds. My opponent made a mistake charging them with the Eagle, one more round of shooting and they'd surely have fled!

A real see-saw of a game - I thought I was cruising by the end of turn 1 but then imploded, as is my custom. The Gutter Runners did great to secure their side of the field against solid opposition.

The Wild Riders are just ridiculous but at least I managed to pay them back, as opposed to that blasted Treeman!

I played the invasion of Nuln battle today, so stay tuned for that!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1215 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Yup, Slaves WFT! They had a Warlock baby-sitting them but still had only a Ld of 6 those last couple of rounds. My opponent made a mistake charging them with the Eagle, one more round of shooting and they'd surely have fled!
An Infantry block has certain strengths in 8th edition and that is true even for Slaves. Good to see in a way.
RE.Lee wrote:The Gutter Runners did great to secure their side of the field against solid opposition.
These have been a massive pain in the bum every game I've fought them.
RE.Lee wrote:The Wild Riders are just ridiculous but at least I managed to pay them back, as opposed to that blasted Treeman!
WR's can be dealt with but it requires focus. Forget about them for a turn and there's hell to pay. Treemen on the other hand are just toast against the right things (Initiative tests, High-strength Flaming) but in the absence of those can be absolute tanks.
RE.Lee wrote:played the invasion of Nuln battle today, so stay tuned for that!
Hooray!

RE.Lee

#1216 Post by RE.Lee »

I focused on the Frostie since I considered it a bigger threat. Really thought I could take the Wild Riders on with 40 Stormvermin - guess not! :lol:

Nuln!

With the Skaven invasion past the mountain passes of northern Tilea (expertly guided by the Goblins) that quickly made way towards the major imperial city in the area - Nuln. A siege against the fortress renowned for it artillery school would not have been a great idea. Luckily, Nuln has already been infiltrated for year and a demolition of the industrial sector was all it took to provide an opening into the city. As the ratmen overtook quarter after quarter they finally reach Marktplatz where the desperate defenders prepared their last stand.

Empire:
The army included two special units - Ironsides, who were WS4 Handgunners with heavy armour and the Steam Tank Deliverance, that could re-roll "1s" for it Steam Engine.

Wizard Lord, level 4 Fire, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon

BSB, FPA, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might
Master Engineer
Warrior Priest, barded horse, HA, GW

39 Halberdiers, command
18 Ironsides Handgunners, command, HA
11 IC Knights, command, Steel Standard

30 Greatswords, command, BoEternal Flame
3 Demigryphs
Great Cannon
6 Outriders
5 Pistoliers, champ with brace

Hellblaster
Steam Tank Deliverance

Skaven:

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell, Skalm, Dragonbane Gem, Earthing Rod

Assassin, tail weapon
BSB, Storm Banner
Warlock Level 2, Dispel Scroll
Warlock, Rocket

41 Stormvermin, command, Razor Banner,
Warpfire Thorower
38 Clanrats, command
Mortar
40 Slaves
39 Slaves

6 Gutter Runners, poison, slings
6 Gutter Runners, poison, slings
10 Plague Censer Bearers
2 Rat Ogres, packmaster

Abomination, spikes
Doomwheel

Deployment:

Seer: Blessed with Filth, Scorch, Cracks Call, Death Frenzy
Warlock: Warplightning, Warpgale

Wizard Lord: Fiery Sword, Cage, Fireball, Piercing Bolts
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1217 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Ironsides, who were WS4
BS4 would have been good.
RE.Lee wrote:Wizard Lord, level 4 Fire, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon
Quite like this vs Skaven.
RE.Lee wrote:Earthing Rod
Normally this is great but with the 5-dice casting cap I'd take Power Scroll to get 13th off.
RE.Lee wrote:Assassin, tail weapon
I'd tool him up but he does make sense with the Bell.
RE.Lee wrote:2 Rat Ogres
Splendid!
RE.Lee wrote:Deployment
Looks like your Rares are in the right place RE. I'm not sure your spells are ideal though.
RE.Lee

#1218 Post by RE.Lee »

It was BS4 of course! I also think I swapped the Earthing Rod for the Power Scroll at the last moment. Either that or I cheated because I recall using the Scroll at one point :^o

Turn 1:

I advance on all fronts.
Magic and shooting (can't remember if it was the Rocket or Scorch) kill half the Greatswords, as well as the Hellblaster (that was the Gutter Runners)

The Empire right flank advances as the left backpedals, fearing my Abomination.
Magic kills some Slaves.
Shooting does little, but a few Stormvermin an a Rat Ogre go down.

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1219 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I recall using the Scroll at one point
I'd have taken 13th then, even one good casting could be deadly.
RE.Lee wrote:Magic and shooting (can't remember if it was the Rocket or Scorch) kill half the Greatswords, as well as the Hellblaster (that was the Gutter Runners)
Good work!
RE.Lee wrote:Shooting does little
A promising start for the Skaven.
RE.Lee

#1220 Post by RE.Lee »

Good point about 13th. I did cast it with the Power Scroll, despite not having either one, thats how confident I was of making the decisions you suggest before the game :lol: I guess thats cheating, but at least it was dispelled #-o

Turn 2:

Rat Ogre charges the Steam Tank.
Everything else moves up.
Magic lands Scorch on the Greatswords (no break for these guys), who then panic!
Shooting kills a few Halberdiers.
The Rat Ogre actually manages to wound the Tank - great news as the machine now has a 1/3 chance of malfunction!

IC Knights charge the Abomination (they'll be looking to get that Flaming Sword of Rhuin).
Halberdiers charge the Stormvermin.
Demigryphs charge the Slaves.
Greatswords rally. Light cavalry keeps moving in my rear. Steam Tank misfires and loses all his 3 steam points.
Magic is pretty much stopped.
Shooting again does little, as the Great Cannon misfires.
Knights wound the Abomination badly (down to 3, I think) but suffer casualties in return and the combat looks bad for them. Demigryphs kill the Slaves and overrun into the Stormvermin, who then beat both the knights and Halberdiers. The latter are run down, as the former closely evade death.
Rat Ogre puts another point of damage on the hapless Tank.

Turn 3:

Doomwheel joins the Abomination in its fight. Slaves charge the Ironsides, barely avoiding a tricky panic test from the stand-and-shoot. Stormvermin charge the Cannon.
Magic continues to pound the Greatswords.
Shooting wipes out the Outriders.
In combat the Abomination and Doomwheel finish off the IC Knights. Slaves lose but hold against the Ironsides. The Tank is still stuck. Stormvermin kill the Great Cannon crew.

A massacre for the Skaven!
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#1221 Post by RE.Lee »

A rather brutal game as the Skaven had everything going their way. My cousin is rather rusty with the game so could have made some better moves especially with the Stank. It is such a weird piece that few people know how to use it correctly. Here blocking either the Stormvermin or the Abomination would be a better idea that moving it down my chaff heavy right flank.

Still, at least the bad guys are getting something done in the campaign!

Speaking of which, the villainous Wood Elves are trying to finish off the Tomb Kings before the faction turns to Chaos, seeking revenge for the humiliation they've suffered at the hands of the Vampire Counts.

Tomb Kings:

High Priest, Level 4 Nehekhara, Earthing Rod, ToEndurance
High Priest, Level 4 Light, Power Scroll

Priest, Level 1 Light, Dispel Scroll
Priest, Level 1 Light, Power Stone
BSB, Great Weapon, Flaming Banner

22 Archers, command
21 Archers, command
3 Chariots
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers

Warsphinx, Fiery Breath, Poison
3 Necroknights

Necrosphinx, Poison
Casket
Hierotitan

Wood Elves:

Mage Lord, Level 3 Beasts, Power Stone (?)
Mage Lord, Level 3 Shadow, Dispel Scroll

Shadow Dancer, Potion of Strength
BSB on Stag, HoDA,
Branch Wraith

15 Driads
15 Glade Guards
20 Eternal Guards

6 Treekin
5 Wild Riders
2x5 Scouts

Treeman
2x Great Eagle

Deployment:

Spells:

Hierophant: Desert Wind, Blades, Neru, Vengeance
High Priest: Shems, Banishment, Timewarp, Speed of Light
Priest: Net
Priest: Shems

Beast Mage: Savage Beast, Wildform, sth else.
Shadow Mage: Pit of Shades, Pendulum, Withering (?)
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1222 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Good point about 13th. I did cast it with the Power Scroll, despite not having either one, thats how confident I was of making the decisions you suggest before the game I guess thats cheating, but at least it was dispelled
:lol:
RE.Lee wrote:Magic lands Scorch on the Greatswords (no break for these guys), who then panic!
Put the boot in.
RE.Lee wrote:Shooting again does little, as the Great Cannon misfires.
This is becoming ominous.
RE.Lee wrote:A rather brutal game as the Skaven had everything going their way. My cousin is rather rusty with the game so could have made some better moves especially with the Stank. It is such a weird piece that few people know how to use it correctly. Here blocking either the Stormvermin or the Abomination would be a better idea that moving it down my chaff heavy right flank.
You know it's not your day when a Rat Ogre bashes up your best technology.
RE.Lee wrote:Tomb Kings:
Like it. Ferocious magic (should deal harshly with the Wild Riders and Treeman), archer bunkers and Constructs to block.
RE.Lee wrote:Wood Elves
Could do with more shooting, in particular to deal with the Constructs so the WE infantry can attack the bunkers.
RE.Lee wrote:Pit of Shades
This on the Sphinxes is the must-dispel (Withering not so effective) but the problem with level 3's is spell selection, Amber Spear and Mindrazor would have been really useful. What did the Branchwraith generate?

As hinted, I fancy the TK's, though maybe the Infantry should be behind the Constructs.
RE.Lee

#1223 Post by RE.Lee »

It might have been Mindrazor instead of Withering - neither were cast though (spoiler?). Pit of Shades and Pendulum were scary enough, my I1 Constructs were not happy.

Branchwraith got Dwellers!

Yup, decided to mix things up a bit! Haven't tried a Light Council with the TK yet and was looking to blow that Treeman with a nice Banishment.

Lets see what happened!

Turn 1:
Elven right flank advances at frightening speed, with the Wild Riders in my side already. The rest of the army moves forward swiftly as well.
Magic is blocked by burning the Scroll.
Shooting kills my Casket (damn poisoned arrows!)

I try to charge the BSB with my Necrosphinx but fail and he awkwardly moves over my archers. Horse archers manoeuvre to block the Wild Riders. Archers move back slightly. Warsphinx moves to fry some Scouts and he gets 3.
Magic is mostly stopped but I get to fly the Necrosphinx into the enemy back (he was within 12" of the general).
Shooting killed some Glade Guards.

Ouch! I didn't think the Woodies would be so aggressive but here they are. Losing the Casket was slightly unlucky - mathhammer suggested ~2,4 wounds, perhaps hiding it behind my units would have been a better idea but I was fearing the damage it might do after bursting. Pity I didn't get to go first.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1224 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Pendulum
This is generally held to be a poor spell, interested to see if it does something here.
RE.Lee wrote:Branchwraith got Dwellers!
Oh dear.
RE.Lee wrote:Magic is blocked by burning the Scroll.
Unfortunate.
RE.Lee wrote:Archers move back slightly.
I do wonder about this. Magic is more important. I think you could have got away with deploying back out of your own bow range, moving forwards later if necessary. He's going to come to you.
RE.Lee wrote:Warsphinx moves to fry some Scouts and he gets 3.
Panic passed?
RE.Lee wrote:Losing the Casket was slightly unlucky
Poison is very swingy, hard to judge what effect it will have.
RE.Lee

#1225 Post by RE.Lee »

My opponent was really happy to have got Pendulum, while not as powerful as Pit of Shades it adds some additional threat for my low I units and is perhaps more reliable to hit.

Dwellers on the Branchwraith wasn't bad - with level 1 she didn't attempt to cast the long range version.

Optimal positioning of the archer blocks still eludes me. Thats why I started on the deployment zone line and them kept moving back.

Turn 2:

Driads charge the Necroknights. Wild Riders can't help themselves and charge the Horse Archers. Eagles go into the Hierphant block while BSB charges the Archers with all the Light wizards in them... Treekin, Treeman and Eternal Guards move up, while Glade Guards pivot to face my Necrosphinx, their Wizard escaping.
In the magic phase I'm unable to stop the Pit of Shades on the Titan. It hits its mark and the big guy is done. Thats it for my magical support unit I guess.
Shooting puts some wounds on my Sphinxes.
The Driads beat the Necroknights badly - I rolled abysmally for my armour saves against their S3 and was down to 1 wound on the last guy. Wild Riders delete the Horse Archers and are left with their flank open to my Chariots - tasty! The BSB kills my Champion (no overkill) and passes her Ld check (I won thanks to the musician). The Hierophant unit beats back the Eagles.

I charge the Glade Guards with my Necrosphinx and the Wild Riders with the Chariots. The Warsphinx moves to counter the Driads.
Magic boosts the Light Archers and brings a few back (Neru?).
Shooting does nothing - I think I was taking pot shots at the Treeman with my flaming arrows.
In combat the Driads finish off the Necroknights and the Chariots wipe out the Wild Riders. Most surprisingly the BSB fails to kill one of my Light Priests, who challenged her this round, loses the combat by 1, fails her leadership test twice and dies defending her banner. Yay! To balance things out the Necrosphinx gets stabbed to death by the 10 Glade Guards, before it could even strike...

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1226 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:My opponent was really happy to have got Pendulum, while not as powerful as Pit of Shades it adds some additional threat for my low I units and is perhaps more reliable to hit.
Sphinxes are not a bad target for it but in general there are too many dice rolls. You have to be close to be sure of hitting, then Initiative test, then roll to wound, then D3. If it did D6 wounds it would be another story. Compare to Amber Spear, fixed range, no Initiative test.
RE.Lee wrote:Dwellers on the Branchwraith wasn't bad - with level 1 she didn't attempt to cast the long range version.
I keep forgetting the 5-dice cap.
RE.Lee wrote:The Driads beat the Necroknights badly - I rolled abysmally for my armour saves against their S3
Embarrassing.
RE.Lee wrote:Chariots wipe out the Wild Riders
=D>
RE.Lee

#1227 Post by RE.Lee »

The 5-dice cap does change things a lot - less stuff going for IF.

Pendulum is fun but a definitely a mediocre spell, compare to Crack's Call!

Turn 3.

Driads charge the Light Archers. Treekin try to charge the Hierophant Archers but fail. Eagles rally. Treeman blocks Sphinx.
Magic does nothing of note, while shooting puts a wound on the Sphinx.
The Driads do some damage to the Archers but I hold on.

Fearing the Tree Whack I decide not to charge the Treeman with my Sphinx. The remaining Horsemen charge the Treekin to make way for the Chariots charging the Eternal Guards.
Magic boosts the Sphinx significantly, making me wish I had charged the Treeman after all - I'd be the one whacking with Timewarp and Speed of Light!
Shooting kills an archer or two.
In combat the Chariots deal pain to the Eternal Guards but the Elves hold on Stubborn. Driads keep grinding the Archers. Surprisingly the Horse Archers beat the Treekin (?!) but the spirits stay put.

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1228 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:In combat the Chariots deal pain to the Eternal Guards but the Elves hold on Stubborn
Worth a try post-BSB I guess.
RE.Lee wrote:Horse Archers beat the Treekin
Subsitute unit of your choice above. Eg, "Gnoblars beat the Treekin". "Lone Skink beats the Treekin".

RE.Lee

#1229 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: Subsitute unit of your choice above. Eg, "Gnoblars beat the Treekin". "Lone Skink beats the Treekin".

:lol: They are only getting started, too!

Turn 4.

Eagle charges the Horse Archers in the flank. Another eagle moves to block the Sphinx from charging the Driads in the rear, as the Treeman moves towards my Hierophant unit.
Magic does nothing, shooting wounds the Sphinx.
The Shadow Dancer remembers to drink his Potion of Strength and promptly wipes out the Chariots. The Horse Archers die, but they've accomplished more than expected anyway. More archers die to Driads.

Sphinx charges and kills the eagle.
Magic and shooting do next to nothing - with the Level 4 Light tied up and no blocks that could use buffing I had a really poor spell selection so just kept weakly bringing back my archers.

Turn 5.

Eternal Guards, Treekin and Treeman all advance towards my Hierophant's unit.
Magic does nothing but shooting finally kills the Warsphinx. My tactics with the big guy (both really) were really questionable.
Driads finish off the Light Council.

I shoot the Eternal Guards and brace for impact with some magic (Neru, I think).

Turn 6.

All in! The Treekin fluff their rolls, which was expected but so does the Treeman! I strike back and cause 2 wounds on the big guy (thanks to flaming attacks) so the crumbling isn't that bad.

Another round of combat sees pretty much the same action - forest spirits rolling poorly, while my BSB continues to chop into the Treeman (again the big tree survives with 1 wound left - why? WHY!?)

Its a defeat for the Tomb Kings obviously, but avoiding getting wiped out tasted like victory!

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1230 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Another eagle moves to block the Sphinx from charging the Driads in the rear,
This looks an important move.
RE.Lee wrote:Driads finish off the Light Council.
Urgh.
RE.Lee wrote:Its a defeat for the Tomb Kings obviously, but avoiding getting wiped out tasted like victory!
It's important to keep fighting. Sure the plan went wrong but as you say RE, it wasn't a massacre. What would you do differently next time?