Loriels Chronicler. Return of the High Elves 101th

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Loriel

Re: Loriels Chronicler. The 100th

#121 Post by Loriel »

9th game is done, sadly my opponent had to quit the battle before it was end due real life interruption. I still decided to do a report out of it

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/DL009/BR.html
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#122 Post by Prince of Spires »

Wow, that was a bloody game. Only 2 turns and half the armies are gone already. A shame indeed you didn't manage to finish the game.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Loriel

#123 Post by Loriel »

yeah, it seems to be that in our local gaming group meta we tend to follow Marc Anthonys strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ63VnQei-k

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#124 Post by Prince of Spires »

Makes sense to me :) It's my usual approach as well.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Loriel

#125 Post by Loriel »

10th game is up, this time mono pesti

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/DL010/BR.html

(edit, copy paste failure)

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#126 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice battle. A bit tight perhaps on a 4X4 table ;)

I find it hard to say for your list who the star of the battle was. Your army performed great all round and it worked well together. Perhaps just a great list overall. Who did you think was the main points scorer?

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#127 Post by Loriel »

yeah, 40k launch was intensive in our gaming club, they started about 9 am played many game throughout the day and I went there about 10pm and there still was going game on the bigger table, thus we ended up playing in the 4x4. It certainly worked better for me than my opponent to have tight spots.

Yeah I have to say that in this game everything just seemed to work out pretty much as intended and it presented hard list for dread elves to tackle.

If I have to say what had the MVP price in this battle I would say plaguelings, due the fact that I managed to easily assemble counter charge, where I destroyed the blades of nabh, tarpitted the altar and charged executioners (in otherwords divided their ranks). they provided means to win this battle with good odds.

best point source was father of pestilence with hydra / altar / blades of nabh (with little help from tallymen ofc), but if you would consider how many points spent and received then pestilent beast would have been as they played significant role for dark acolytes failure and executioners, and reapers, and besides evocation of souls, they scored the points on their own.

Also the nauseating aura from father of pestilence really helped out to make the necessary punch to puny elves before they can strike. Also Evocation of Souls played significant role in the battle due the fact that executioners failed fear test on both rounds of combat (my opponent rolled 8, so evocation caused the fear) and they broke down on roll of 8 again.

Well, I still haven't made final call, but mostlikely I will be playing with Undying Dynasties next game. It is nice to look at their army book and just... simply... have almost everything in the book upgraded / lowered point costs etc. They seem to be really good army atleast on paper. I hope that they still have the same feeling as Tomb Kings had, but I fear that with all the buffs it might not be as satisfying to play. dunno, lets see about that in near future

Loriel

#128 Post by Loriel »

Undying Dynasty 1st game is done

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/UD001/BR.html

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#129 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice battle. The Undying dynasty was really brutal. The battle was pretty much already won bottom of T2, after you ook out the complete centre of the dread elf battle line. After that, it was mainly a case of keep pushing the elves to make sure they can't recover. Glad to read that the TK got some well deserved love in 9th age. They have some pretty great models and some nice background. But sub-par rules made sure they never were a popular army in WH.

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#130 Post by Loriel »

Second game for Undying Dynasties is up

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/UD002/BR.html

RE.Lee

#131 Post by RE.Lee »

Go Tomb Kings! :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#132 Post by Prince of Spires »

That looked like a very small TK army at the start. But good game! It shows how important it is to keep a grouped battle line and focus your attention. Your opponent kept sending units at your one at a time, which led you deal with them fairly easily. The entombed units really helped as well, once they had shown up, in redirecting the attention of your opponent.

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#133 Post by Loriel »

yeah, I have roughly about 8k (of new points) Tomb King / Undying Dynasties army and I wanted to play bigger game, but as said my opponent had fully propainted army and he used almost every model he owns and refused to use proxies :D

In this game should my opponent succeed in one of those long charges (for example the long charge from wild huntsmen in t2) and either of thicket beast / treefather should that happen most likely I would have lost the game due the fact that those wildhuntsmen would have evaporated archers -> overrun to flank of guard and second round of combat my NG would mostlikely suffered greatly. Also in the later turn should treefather succeeded in long charge to my hierophant in later turns that would also most likely tipped the balance.

This game for me was classic example that I managed to gain slight advantage in odds and when those odds worked as supposed it lead to victory.

Loriel

#134 Post by Loriel »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#135 Post by Prince of Spires »

That was a pretty brutal battle. Those TK are really turning into a force to be reckoned with.

I do think your opponent played too aggressively. Especially with the Wyvern warboss. Yes, he needed to deal with your magic fast. But now he had to deal with a ranked up, steadfast block. Even if he would have managed to deal with the Hierophant, he still would have been stranded in combat and unable to help the rest of his army. I'm also thinking that making your charges T2 a bit harder, by making them just slightly longer might have been a good idea. Now everything went your way T2 with those charges. If you had failed even one of them, the battle could have played out differently.

Still, good battle. And thanks for sharing.

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#136 Post by Loriel »

definately my opponent did bad decision when he brought the wyvern boss so close as he could easily placed him little farther away and still being able to charge reliable. I actually said to my opponent that are you sure that it will make my charges rather ease and adviced him to make it little longer but he had a Waargh incoming :D. That chariot charge to boar chariot was long and I attempted it only because goblin riders fled, but with losing steadfast in the forest those poor orcs hadn't much chance.

I really like the dangerous terrain system on 9th as now the chariots did the 4 test instead of 1 doing 1d6 damage. On average they get more wounds as it felt really stupid on 8th that most of the time nothing and one time huge impact. This system levels the risk and seems much more intuitive than the old one.

I also noticed really neat feature on 9th that especially in orcs book wyverns cost depends on the character riding it. On shaman it is only 120 and for iron warboss it was 220. That is extremely good way to evaluate the overall effective of the choice and even it out that going for wyvern with shaman doesn't seem that bad idea for extra wounds and mobility. also it was funny that the wyvern was technically monsterous beast and thus become mons cavalry. By chance of luck (my opponentn didn't know) his armour of tuttek or what it was called +1 T worked as mons cav you use the highest T available :D

Loriel

#137 Post by Loriel »

my fourth battle with UD is done

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/UD004/BR.html

Loriel

#138 Post by Loriel »

elendor_f

#139 Post by elendor_f »

I really like the format of your reports! It is very clear and easy to follow :D

I have one question, why didn't you do a post-combat reform with the Tomb Cataphracts after you made the long range charge? It seems to me that you let your opponent a Rear charge for free but maybe I am missing something #-o
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Loriel

#140 Post by Loriel »

I actually underestimated lethal strike and attack output of that horde. Especially since lethal strike also negates rege. I also wanted to destroy the orcs and if i would get lucky (i think i needed 11 for that) i could have overran past goblins.

Overall i was pretty sure that those cates wouldnt be destroyed in one turn. With flanking warsphinx + static resolution from skeles . I though it was ultimately best choise

Loriel

#141 Post by Loriel »

Hello all. This time no 9th update but rather a Necromunda game :D

And oh boy I have forgotten how awesome game Necromunda is, here is a report from it, hopefully you guys enjoy

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/NECR_BR/GA001/BR.html

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#142 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Loriel,

Long time no see! First of all, apologies for not congratulating you on a fantastic achievement of 100 battles! You don't have to tell me how great it feels to reach that milestone. Well done! =D>

I noticed you are playing 9th Age at the moment. Any chances you may try KoW again at some stage? I think I have score to settle :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Loriel

#143 Post by Loriel »

old timer! thanks for the compliment!

It is true lately 9th age has taken my time but right now Necromunda has wrapped its fingers around my grim dark soul. :D But to be honest rematch on KoW wouldn't be totally impossible. I think that game work in UB lot better than warhammer :D

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#144 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I think KoW works better in any circumstances :) I hope we will be able to find time for some KoW on UB anyway. Have you tried UB2? I think the plan is to make a transition to UB2 anyway. Also, if you are to play with Empire of Dust then it may be good time to try and play in the frame of the new campaign.

Let me know if you need more detailed updates!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Loriel

#145 Post by Loriel »

@swordmaster, I haven't tried UB2. I actually haven't played anygames in UB after the last time we met.

My 2-4 games in necromunda is done

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/NECR_BR/GA002-4/BR.html

Loriel

#146 Post by Loriel »

I managed to play 4 games during lastweek end

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/NECR_BR/GA005-8/BR.html

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#147 Post by Prince of Spires »

impressive, getting 4 games in one weekend :) I'm usually happy if I can get one (WH) game a month...

The battlefield looks great as well. The hight is impressive and makes it look very dynamic.

Rod

Check out my plog

Loriel

#148 Post by Loriel »

yeah and that was in top of all the boardgames. We rented a cabin in middle of forest and spent there entire weekend. total 15 people :D Hardcore gaming :D One of the reasons why I like necromunda (and Mordheim) is that games can be played really swiftly.

Hopefully I manage to find time to do more terrain and especially terrain that fits better in the e-waste style terrain as now most of the stuff that is in top of the squares are our old necromunda boards pieces.

Loriel

#149 Post by Loriel »

Loriel

#150 Post by Loriel »