Mordheim - To many Warbands

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Mordheim - To many Warbands

#1 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

With the Photobucket stuff going on I've decided just to post new pictures of my stuff rather than try to fix the old topics. I've gotten some work done since then, so it was time for new pictures anyway. My camera setup still isn't great, so someday I'll have to do new pictures again.

For now I'll try to do one warband a day, not necessarily in the order I painted them either. I don't know if I'll add new ones to the first post, or just add them as it goes. We'll see. For the first one, I've got Witch Hunters.

Witch Hunters
Captain and Warrior Priest

Witch Hunters

Flagellants

Zealots

Dogs

Dedicated Hired Swords

Up next we have some of the first minis I did when I got back into painting several years back. A few were also done more recently. The pictures wash things out a bit, but even so the difference is rather noticeable.

Outlaws of Stirwood Forrest
Leader/Champion/Monk

Petty Thieves/Promoted Henchman

Henchmen

Dedicated Hired Swords

I guess I'll do Reikland now, because those pictures were next in the folder.

Reikland
I'd love to find the foot/mounted captain, from a collecting standpoint it is otherwise complete.
Captains

Champions

Youngbloods

Expert Swordsmen

Marksmen

Dedicated Hired Swords

Middenheim
Looking for the foot/mounted Captain for these too.
Captains

Champion

Youngbloods

Expert Swordsmen

Marksmen

Dedicated Hired Swords

And now for Marienburg. I painted these right after the Outlaws.

Marienburg
Just like the other two, I'd love to find the foot/mounted Captain.
Captains

Champions

Youngbloods

Expert Swordsmen

Marksmen

Dedicated Hired Swords

Some of you were probably wondering how we play without any regular warriors, I made a pool to pick from and add to it as needed. They can also be additional zealots.

Warriors

And now Skaven. I thought I would enjoy painting these a lot more than I did. And then I put to heavy of a wash on them, covering a lot of what I did manage to do. Oh well, they helped me get better at painting.

Skaven
Assassin Masters & Viskit

Black Skaven and Eshin Sorcerer

Gutter Runners

Rat Ogres/Giant Rats

Clan Rats

Up next are my sisters of sigmar. These were more fun to paint than I expected.

Sisters of Sigmar
Looking for 4 of the 5 multipart models that were released later.
Bertha/Matriarchs

Sisters Superior/Auger

Sisters

Novices

Dedicated Hired Swords
Image'

Undead
Missing some zombies, a vampire, and a ghoul. Many of these minis were a Secret Santa gift from this site. They've fought many battles. I had to repaint the vampire because I dropped him and chipped him badly, fortunately I was able to find the sword that he dropped when he hit the ground.
Vampire/Necromancer
Dregs
Ghouls
Dire Wolves
Zombies

Time for more scary guys. Mordheim needs scary guys.

The Possessed
I'd like to find the 2nd Magister, And I'd really love to pick up the 3rd beastman instead of the duplicate. The other dark soul should be coming in the mail soon.
Magister/Mutants
Possessed
Beastmen
Brethren
Darksouls

And now for some that should be liked here, even if some of the minis are simply AWFUL.

Shadow Warriors
As far as I can figure out this is all the Mordheim SW and all the metal ones from WFB. I once thought I had all the 4e White Lions and then found two more sculpts not in any of the catalogues though, so I'm never sure. The mordheim ones are UGLY (except the mage) so we always use the others. The internet hates elves in mordheim, so the group feels the someone should always play them. I'd rather see them get left out a little more often, but that's purely for fluff reasons. You shouldn't have shadow warriors and leave out reikland.

and of course they found a friendly elf ranger to be their guide. There is a halfling from reaper that I'll eventually pick up because I think he'll fit in well.

Up next are the Treasure hunters. I might add to this if I find models that look nice for guys promoted to heros or other nice maruader models for cheap, but as far as actively seeking anything they are complete. The official mordheim ones are nice, but also a pain because I pinned all the hands. They just don't hold up to game play if you don't. I spent my painting time tonight doing the same with Pit fighters. Kislev and Amazons will need it too.

Dwarf Treasure Hunters
The Heros

The Others (the guy with the eye patch and peg leg is inteded to be used as a hero if I have one get wounded. He's been sitting in the box for years, but was to cool to part with when he works for well for an injured dwarf.

The Cook

Hired Swords
Last edited by Shannar, Sealord on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:30 am, edited 15 times in total.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mordheim

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice. The miniatures have great character. I like the fish ;)

You've managed to get some great detail in there. I like the writing in the book for instance. And the elf hunter (?) in the last picture as well. Great face and details. I don't have captain #2. But then again, I also don't know what he looks like, otherwise I'd keep an eye out for him.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The Mordheim range overall is absolutely fantastic. They came out at the time that I think was the peak of miniture sculpting at GW, and most of the mordheim mins are a step up from the warhammer figs of the time. I think you can tell that the sculptors were enjoying their work. And painting them is the same way for me.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Mordheim- Witch Hunters, Outlaws, Reikland. More to come

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Added Reiklanders today too. It's hot out and I don't feel like doing my german practice, so I'm stalling.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:The Mordheim range overall is absolutely fantastic. They came out at the time that I think was the peak of miniture sculpting at GW, and most of the mordheim mins are a step up from the warhammer figs of the time. I think you can tell that the sculptors were enjoying their work. And painting them is the same way for me.
Though there are of course the mordheim HE shadow warriors... ;)

The mordheim miniatures to me suggest that the artist were working their magic but they also had enough room to express themselves and put in funny little pieces or give a bit of character to a miniature range. It feels like GW didn't take itself as serious as it does now as a company. Not in the business sense, but in how important they think they are to the fantasy miniature market.

You've got our permission to stall if it means you're working on miniatures ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote: Though there are of course the mordheim HE shadow warriors... ;)

The mordheim miniatures to me suggest that the artist were working their magic but they also had enough room to express themselves and put in funny little pieces or give a bit of character to a miniature range. It feels like GW didn't take itself as serious as it does now as a company. Not in the business sense, but in how important they think they are to the fantasy miniature market.

You've got our permission to stall if it means you're working on miniatures ;)

Rod
I should have specified the "original" Mordheim range. Most of the stuff that came later wasn't up to the same standard. Some of them were WFB rejects. I've not read that the shadow warriors were, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I did paint another sister of sigmar yesterday. It was a bit of a challange, paint doesn't behave quite the same way when it's 95 degrees outside.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mordheim WitchHunters Outlaws Reikland Middenheim Marien

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I like the fish ;)
Recurring Mordheim theme, weren't they? Then we had the chaos fish on the Kairos Fateweaver model...

Good work Shannar, really nice to see all those Hired Swords.

:)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Added my sisters. I'm not sure how they ended up green. I swear my intent was to use purple. All the same, I think they turned out pretty well.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Added my sisters. I'm not sure how they ended up green. I swear my intent was to use purple. All the same, I think they turned out pretty well.
:shock:
The probably have a mind of their own...

They still look good. And I can sort of see how you ended up with purple as a spot color and not your main color.

The Rats are OK. Nothing spectacular but they look good as a warband. Interesting that you didn't like painting them all that much. Any idea why?

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Honestly I'm not sure. I may have just not been in the mood to paint. It happens at times.

Just added some undead, the only warband I have where some of the minis weren't painted by me (it's the zombies that weren't, the vampire shouldn't be, but I dropped it and it chipped enough that trying to repair the paint job wasn't going to work).
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like the zombies. I think these are better models then the WH zombies. A lot more flavourful

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#12 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:I like the zombies. I think these are better models then the WH zombies. A lot more flavourful
The two metal ones are painted by me, should have specified. I like the models a lot. There are 4 more that I want to eventually find. They were a later release though, and with Mordheim that means harder to find.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#13 Post by Luna Guardian »

Very nice, do you have an active scene where they get a lot of time?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian wrote:Very nice, do you have an active scene where they get a lot of time?
It's back to our standard weekly game 3 weeks a month, and the other week we play something else. 6-8 of us are typically there to play, on 2-4 tables. And since almost everyone uses my warbands they get a fair amount of time in action.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

Cool! Are they one-off games or are you running campaigns?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Always campaigns, it's the only way to play mordheim. Usually we try to set it up where everyone plays each other twiceWe allow warbands to carry over the the next one as well.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Mordheim All the Book Warbands + Outlaws.

#17 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Just added my possessed. I'm pretty proud of my mutants. The guys who usually plays possessed actually has his own minis, so I've not had to make more advanced mutants or possessed. Now that more of my warbands are fully painted with choices I'm thinking about playing possessed next time to give me an excuse to do some more converting.

I have one more fully painted warband to post, plus some extras (hired swords, dramatis persone, and random encounters).

I was going to show you a WIP shot of the warband currently on my painting table, but it's taking to long to upload.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#18 Post by Luna Guardian »

Love the possessed. Have you thought about using the plastics to make the conversions?

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:Very nice, do you have an active scene where they get a lot of time?
It's back to our standard weekly game 3 weeks a month, and the other week we play something else. 6-8 of us are typically there to play, on 2-4 tables. And since almost everyone uses my warbands they get a fair amount of time in action.
You have a great (and fortunate) gaming group. It's hard to find opponents here (either warhammer or mordheim). It's mainly 40K which is played around here. Or magic the gathering. The first I have no interest in, the second one is allright, but expensive to do right.

The possessed (as in the possessed models of the possessed warband) are perhaps not your best paint job. Though it could also be the picture of course. They look a bit flat perhaps. Though it's still a great looking warband I'd be happy to play with :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#20 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They are flat. Those got painted long ago, and like the skaven I found them uninteresting to paint. I've found I never do my best work when I'm happy just to be done.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Just added some shadow warriors. Well a lot of shadow warriors, it's mordheim intersecting with high elves after all.

The mordheim ones are terrible sculpts.

I've finished painting my Dwarf Treasure hunters, but haven't uploaded the pictures yet. So, another update should come soon.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#22 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian wrote:Love the possessed. Have you thought about using the plastics to make the conversions?
I missed this earlier before. I did get a box of plastics that I think will be amazing for doing them. My plan it to play possessed in the next campaign (they are often played by a guy with his own stuff, and I'd rather make sure witch hunters or the like get in than have more possessed). Hopefully it goes well for me and I get to make lots of fun things.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#23 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:Love the possessed. Have you thought about using the plastics to make the conversions?
I missed this earlier before. I did get a box of plastics that I think will be amazing for doing them. My plan it to play possessed in the next campaign (they are often played by a guy with his own stuff, and I'd rather make sure witch hunters or the like get in than have more possessed). Hopefully it goes well for me and I get to make lots of fun things.
Fingers crossed, keep us updated!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#24 Post by Prince of Spires »

I do like the elf mage. The rest is indeed terrible. The main offender is the helmet I think. Change that and they're already much better. I do like the bowstrings you've attached. How did you do those?

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#25 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The bowstrings are just a thin piece of thread, and a tiny dot of super glue. That and a lot of patience.

I agree on the helmets, those are really funky.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#26 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I finished some things today. A couple witch hunters, a warrior priest, and a really nervous warlock/jade wizard.

I'll also update the witch hunter captains photo above, to kind of keep everything sort of complete in the first post. The other 3 models are parts of groups that aren't posted yet, so they have to wait for now.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

You really do have a huge Mordheim collection :shock: I never realised how many models there were before seeing them all together like this. These last four are great again. Nice earthy colors without being just boring brown.

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#28 Post by Luna Guardian »

I think it's the small but crucial details in related colors that deliver them from blandness :)

All these warbands have actually inspired me to get a Parhaat to Glory campaign going!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#29 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:You really do have a huge Mordheim collection :shock: I never realised how many models there were before seeing them all together like this. These last four are great again. Nice earthy colors without being just boring brown.
I picked up that witch hunter captain last week new in blister for a bit less than $10. It's probably the fastest I've ever taken a model from package to fully painted. The Johan und Willhelm on the other hand have been in a box since the late 90s, and the Jade Wizard a bit longer than that.

It's my favorite game overall. In terms of just game play on the table Bloodbowl and Bolt Action are both better, but when you consider the total package; gameplay, atmosphere, post game, terrain, minatures, it's really though to beat. Pretty good for a game that came out in 1999.
RE.Lee

#30 Post by RE.Lee »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: It's back to our standard weekly game 3 weeks a month, and the other week we play something else. 6-8 of us are typically there to play, on 2-4 tables. And since almost everyone uses my warbands they get a fair amount of time in action.
Living the dream! Those new Witch Hunters look great :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy