Some (As Yet Unpainted) Trolls

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Some (As Yet Unpainted) Trolls

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

So just a mob of Trolls. But I'm really pleased GW are still selling them in 2017, must be almost 30 years old now. They even came with 40mm square bases! Some were gifts and some I bought myself. I got eight because I think that's about the right size for an eighth edition unit, whether for O&G or WoC. I've got various ideas for colour scheme but it partly depends on which army they are for.

I've always liked Trolls but never had any and these days suspect it's a good move to paint what I feel like painting. I'm leaning towards WoC because they have a lot of cool stuff and it shouldn't be too onerous to build a small army, given I can cannibalise my Daemons a little. I guess the first question is, do GW still sell any of their Chaos models in metal?
Chracian

Re: Some (As Yet Unpainted) Trolls

#2 Post by Chracian »

Furies is about it, but they're daemons rather than WOC I think? Isn't most of the WOC range in plastic anyway apart from the characters and chosen?

Anyway, get those trolls painted! Looking forward to seeing them.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm a fan of those models. I only have a couple left as I sold the bulk of the night goblins and just kept what I need for Mordheim (well, a bit more than what I need for mordheim, more like everything I *might* need for mordheim.)

They are fun to paint too, so they'll probably go pretty fast once you start.
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

Oh I love these! Back when trolls lived for the lulz :lol:

Going for classic blue?
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

They're great models. I prefer them to the newer models. So, get some paint on them :) And classic blue would work nicely I think.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:(well, a bit more than what I need for mordheim, more like everything I *might* need for mordheim.)
It always reads like you have everything you *might* need for mordheim if you were playing a campaign with 4 players and you're supplying all the models... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:They're great models. I prefer them to the newer models. So, get some paint on them :) And classic blue would work nicely I think.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:(well, a bit more than what I need for mordheim, more like everything I *might* need for mordheim.)
It always reads like you have everything you *might* need for mordheim if you were playing a campaign with 4 players and you're supplying all the models... ;)

Rod
Well, they couldn't all play night goblins. I only kept the kev adams ones, and only 3 trolls.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for the replies guys!
Chracian wrote:Furies is about it, but they're daemons rather than WOC I think?
Yeah I noticed those when I was sourcing for my Daemon army Chracian. I must go through the other Chaos stuff more closely.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:They are fun to paint too, so they'll probably go pretty fast once you start.
That's good to hear Shannar! I want to get a rough army list together before I get stuck in.
RE.Lee wrote:Going for classic blue?
Maybe RE. Grey would be good for use across two armies. I'm even considering red.
Prince of Spires wrote:I prefer them to the newer models.
They made some interesting ones in 7th ed Rod but I agree, I still prefer these.

As mentioned, these dudes would fit nicely into a small WoC army. One nice option is to include Throgg the Troll King as he makes them Core. I like the official model (Seb Perbet?) but it's too big for me, should be a Monster while the rules say Monstrous Infantry. Not even sure if they sell it still. I could however convert this guy, who I picked up in a sale 20 years ago!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It might make me a little sad if you converted him...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar I have a friend (Kispal of this forum) who would very much agree with you! I can totally see that a model as sculpted has a kind of integrity and if you convert it, you mess with that. I convert sometimes but not gratuitously. It's when I need to alter a model to fulfil a certain role in an army, so to carry a banner say or to be defined in some way or other. In this case I kind of think the model's mailed fist and other bits fit in with his slightly cartoonish unit. But the helmet spike, not so much, too Blood Bowl. Throgg has a magical Crown so I'll probably model that on but that will likely be all.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'll do conversions pretty much along those same lines.

But I also love classic blood bowl.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:But I also love classic blood bowl.
A great game and one that I miss. Even if Chaos Dwarfs working a lot better than Wood Elves for me was a bit perplexing! No prospect of getting to play it but if I'm careful the converted model would still fit into a game.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#12 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:But I also love classic blood bowl.
A great game and one that I miss. Even if Chaos Dwarfs working a lot better than Wood Elves for me was a bit perplexing! No prospect of getting to play it but if I'm careful the converted model would still fit into a game.
Even with the rerelease? I would have expected that to have things going gangbusters. It's still our most frequently played game (takes a lot less effort than mordheim) but we've not tried the new stuff yet. If they hadn't made the board/minis bigger it would have been a sure thing, but as is there isn't anything that's gotten any of us interested enough to take the leap yet. It'll happen at some point I'm sure.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

My RL situation means tournaments are my only games these days Shannar and that means Warhammer, since I gave up 40K. Is the new Blood Bowl much different from the old apart from the scale do you think?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

So far no, but it's hard to say what the future holds. For now most of the teams are unchanged even.

But I also hate the new minis.
RE.Lee

#15 Post by RE.Lee »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I also hate the new minis.
They do have a different feel. Luckily they've got that "on demand" thing going!

I was tempted to pick it up, but I find FFG's BB: Team Manager scratches the same itch.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

There is also always FUMBBL.