Legal void (8ed questions)

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Joaco

Legal void (8ed questions)

#1 Post by Joaco »

Hello dear elves fellows. Me and my friends still play 8ed becouse we dont like the 9 edition so far.
But, some rules are still a mistery for us. Sometimes the rulebook doesnt explain them completly, and sometimes we have diferent
interpretations of them. Maybe some of you can help me or we can discuss them here.
  • *In previous editions, in the compulsory moves phase, if you had a unit at 6'' of a fleeing ally unit, you had to make a panic check, is this rule still existing? becouse I cant find it on the manual so I asume it doesnt anymore.

*If a mounted hero on horse joins a unit of fast cavalry, does the unit lose that rule too?

*Can a mage in combat, cast a direct damage spell (not magic missles) to a enemy unit outside of combat?

*And last, when a unit declares a flee as a reaction of a charge, and the charging unit wants to do a redirection, is the redirection declared before of after the flee movement (this may change line of sight or others things)
Hope we can get to the answers, and I will probably come back with more of this questions!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Legal void (8ed questions)

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Joaco, questions welcome!
Joaco wrote:*In previous editions, in the compulsory moves phase, if you had a unit at 6'' of a fleeing ally unit, you had to make a panic check, is this rule still existing? becouse I cant find it on the manual so I asume it doesnt anymore.
It does not exist.
Joaco wrote: *If a mounted hero on horse joins a unit of fast cavalry, does the unit lose that rule too?
Yes, unless the hero also comes with the Fast Cavalry rule (Dark Elves and Wood Elves mostly). See pg 68.
Joaco wrote: *Can a mage in combat, cast a direct damage spell (not magic missles) to a enemy unit outside of combat?
Yes. The mage being in combat himself is not listed as preventing casting a Direct Damage spell. Pg 31.
Joaco wrote:*And last, when a unit declares a flee as a reaction of a charge, and the charging unit wants to do a redirection, is the redirection declared before of after the flee movement (this may change line of sight or others things)
After. The flight is immediate. Pg 17.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher is correct in his answers.

Feel free to ask any other rules questions you have. Also, we have a fairly extensive collection of rules discussions in our Rules Questions subforum (access can also be found at the top of this forum).

We have discussed a lot of things in there. For many questions we have an answer, but some things still remain unclear.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Joaco

#4 Post by Joaco »

Wow this was fast! I was waiting those to be the answers but wanted to be sure and dont leave any room to miss interpretation.

Thank you very much guys!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome Joaco!

:)
Joaco

#6 Post by Joaco »

New one!

Skirmishers, now they can´t march in every direction right? Now they have a front arc, so I guess that if they want to move backwards or to the sides, its the half of the movement?
Minion X

#7 Post by Minion X »

Joaco wrote:New one!

Skirmishers, now they can´t march in every direction right? Now they have a front arc, so I guess that if they want to move backwards or to the sides, its the half of the movement?
Page 77, Free Reform

Unless it charges, a unit of skirmishers is allowed to reform as many times as the player wants during the movement phase using the normal rules for reforming. This means that skirmishers can pivot on the spot like lone models and change their formation to move around obstacles. So instead of wheeling or moving backwards or sideways, skirmishers can simply turn to face whatever direction they want, move in a straight line, turn again and keep moving with no penalty.
The same goes for models with the Fast Cavalry rule.
Doctor

#8 Post by Doctor »

They can make free reforms, so you can reform, move, reform etc. A reform allows you to face any direction.
Joaco

#9 Post by Joaco »

Hey thanks! And here I have more!

Gyrocopters: can they march and shoot their steam guns?
Can they shoot them every turn?

Breath weapons: how do you resolve the breath on a challenge?
It goes to the model in the duel or the whole unit?

Fast cavalry: it can only move as normal if rallies after a flee reaction? Not a flee from panic test or break? And only move, not march right?

More I read the rulebook, more questions I have! Haha
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Joaco wrote: Gyrocopters: can they march and shoot their steam guns?
No. Default for shooters is no, Dwarf book pg 50 does not list an exemption.
Joaco wrote:Can they shoot them every turn?
Yes, unless they Dive Bomb that turn, again per pg 50.
Joaco wrote:Breath weapons: how do you resolve the breath on a challenge?
It goes to the model in the duel or the whole unit?
The model in the duel. Rulebook FAQ pg 10.
Joaco wrote:Fast cavalry: it can only move as normal if rallies after a flee reaction? Not a flee from panic test or break?
Correct, main rulebook pg 68.
Joaco wrote:And only move, not march right?
It can still March. Moves as normal (pg 68), that includes Marching.
Joaco

#11 Post by Joaco »

What about the direct damage spells, let me see if im getting it right. Your target needs to be in your front arc, but not in line of sight?

For example, firestorm (spell 6 from lore of fire) I can place the template anywhere in 30'' the front arc? Not
anywhere within 30''

And offtopic, yesterday my high elves fought 2 battles agains Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves, giving me a massacre victory in both battles. That makes like the 6th or 7th victories in a row against dwarves armies (and like the 5th with a large difference). :D kill the small ones!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

You're correct. Direct damage spells do not require line of sight, but the target does have to be in the front arc. So you're correct about flame storm. Anywhere within 30'' in this case means anywhere in the front arc.

There are a few FAQ entries about direct damage template spells that are useful to have as well:

Q: Do ranged direct damage spells that use a template have to target an enemy unit? (p31)
A: Yes, the template must be placed over the target enemy unit.

So, anywhere within 30'' means anywhere in the front arc in 30'' that targets an enemy unit. So you can't place it in a random location and hope it scatters onto a unit. It has to be aimed at an enemy unit.

Q: When targeting a unit with a small or large round template, must the whole template be within the maximum range of the spell? (p31)
A: No, the hole in the centre of the template must be within range.

Q: Does the ‘Look Out Sir’ special rule apply against all spells that use templates? (p93)
A: Yes.

Congrats on the wins vs the short ones. Dwarves can be a tough opponent for HE.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Joaco

#13 Post by Joaco »

Awesome! Thanks Rod! Thats what I love about warhammer, you never stop learning :P
Joaco

#14 Post by Joaco »

Hi! After some time I came back to playing warhammer (still 8th, Im not so sure about 9th age yet).
And It doesnt matter for how long I've beeing playing warhammer, lots of rules still generate some confusion.
I've never played in some oficial tournaments (there are none in my little country) so this makes it difficult to know some stuff.

First thing, Line of sight still confuses me, the book says that you have to draw a line between the head of the model and your target, but models can get this difficult. Large targets for example, can you see them behind normal units? Do they have line of sight above the units? Becouse if you combine large target and fly, for example, can the frostheart charge in the next situation? (as long as the base fits in the gap)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4eeDX ... sp=sharing
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Joaco!

So long as the Phoenix can see the target from his model's-eye view, he can charge over the intervening unit.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

In general in 8th edition it is easiest to assume everything can see everything else, unless there is a very specific reason they can't. True line of sight (which is what 8th ed. uses) is exactly that. What the physical model can see is what he sees. It leads to some silly situations sometimes (like a taller version of the same model being able to see more). But it gives fewer discussions I find.

And for the situation you posted, yes the phoenix can charge over the unit in between.

Rod

Check out my plog

Joaco

#17 Post by Joaco »

Ok next one, lets think that I have a life mage, and he cast throne of vines, and then flesh to stone, there the toughness would be at +4. In my oponent next turn, he dispels the throne with hes dices: does the flesh to stone goes to +2? or it stays at +4 becouse throne of vines was active when casted?

My thoughts are that it becomes a +2 T but...you never know
RE.Lee

#18 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd say it stays at +4 - its the castings that are affected and those have already taken place. The fact that it doesn't affect spells already in play supports this.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I'd say it stays at +4
Explicitly confirmed in rulebook FAQ, pg 12.
Joaco

#20 Post by Joaco »

Ok thanks guys! I want you to know that you are really helping me and my comunity without knowing! Since we dont have any oficial stuff here or competitive play, but we are getting there hopefully! For years we were only 4 warhammer players in the whole city, but know we are like 12 and starting to think on campaings and tourneys!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#21 Post by Prince of Spires »

Joaco wrote:Ok thanks guys! I want you to know that you are really helping me and my comunity without knowing! Since we dont have any oficial stuff here or competitive play, but we are getting there hopefully! For years we were only 4 warhammer players in the whole city, but know we are like 12 and starting to think on campaings and tourneys!
Sounds great :) Slowly growing and getting more elaborate things going. Let us know if you get a campaign going. Personally I have no time for them (or enough regular opponents for that matter). But I love following along :)

Check out my plog