In search of suggestions for a minor conversion

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

In search of suggestions for a minor conversion

#1 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I recently picked up a lot of Brets for dirt cheap thinking I'd add to what was my 2nd army. A couple days later they all got discontinued and the prices went thought the roof so I decided to sell most of it instead.

In the lot there were two of the newer fay enchantress in metal. I sold the one that was still in the box for a silly amount of money. But since I've already quadrupled my investment I've decided to keep the 2nd one (I think, knowing that I could get $75 for it quickly makes it tempting to sell...) and make her into a Everqueen riding a unicorn, because why should she have to walk everywhere. Even Korhil and Carhaydrn have found better transport.

Anyway, it should be pretty easy, the flur de lys on her head will get replaced with a heart, really easy to do. The harder part will be the grail in her right hand. This is the part where I could use some help. I'd love to hear any an all ideas. It's not like it would be terriable if she had a goblet, but I think it could be better. If you have ideas for other improvements I'd love to hear those as well.

For those that aren't familiar with it here is the model:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: In search of suggestions for a minor conversion

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Everqueen is known for her staff, so my first thought would be that to replace the goblet Shannar. Trouble is, simply taking the hand off at the wrist leaves the arm at an awkward angle for this. Possibly take the arm off at the elbow or even higher up. It'd depend on the staff part I guess.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:Everqueen is known for her staff, so my first thought would be that to replace the goblet Shannar. Trouble is, simply taking the hand off at the wrist leaves the arm at an awkward angle for this. Possibly take the arm off at the elbow or even higher up. It'd depend on the staff part I guess.
That's what I've been playing around with too. At first I thought it was going to be easy, but like you said the arm is funny. Now I'm wondering if I can bend it and replace it at the hand or elbow (or cut and reattach with a bit of greenstuff work). And then I look at how much I still have to paint, and the fact that people are paying stupid money for brets right now and I wonder...

I've also thought about replacing that sword with her staff, but the angles are a little awkward for that as well. And it still leaves the question about the goblet arm.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Apparently I should have been thinking dung beetle instead of unicorn....
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Yeah man, can't believe you went with unicorn. So last week ;).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

My honest opinion would be to sell it and convert a mini that is more easy to work with - metal is a pig for 'minor' work and always takes longer than you think.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#7 Post by Aicanor »

Have the scarab crawl out of the goblet. :twisted:

(Although I think the beetle in question is more likely this one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucanus_cervus)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Aicanor wrote:Have the scarab crawl out of the goblet. :twisted:

(Although I think the beetle in question is more likely this one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucanus_cervus)
Ya, the dung beetle bit was mostly an expression of my opinion on the whole beetle riding thing. However, your idea is a decent joke to include.
John Rainbow wrote:My honest opinion would be to sell it and convert a mini that is more easy to work with - metal is a pig for 'minor' work and always takes longer than you think.
You're not wrong on that. The dremmel and some basic greenstuff ability helps a lot, but it's still a pain. It's a pretty nice model too. Which means that it's a good starting point, but at the price they are right now I also hate to hack it up. I've wanted an everqueen model on a unicorn for a long time. Maybe I'll look around and see what reaper and a couple others have to work with.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

It definitely needs some inspiration.

The key might be finding a great staff part from somewhere and suddenly realizing how it would go. I've lost count of the item swaps etc I had to do in metal for my HE army. These were OK but yes, stuff you have to drill or sculpt can be a pain.
Doctor

#10 Post by Doctor »

Does she have to hold the staff with her hands? Maybe it's enough if it's somewhere in arms reach.