RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - TK counterattack!

#601 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: Despite the increased speed they remain a shooting army and at range I have a slight advantage. Its not as good Wood Elves but still decent.
As a WE player I agree, Dwarfs a good match-up. Presumably Khalida's Poison is key here? Generally Tomb Kings are regarded as a bit soft but the magic can be very good and getting spells through against Dwarfs can be golden.
RE.Lee wrote:Its a pity one of the best units in my army - Necropolis Knights - is rather poor against them. A single round of Organ Gun fire or combat against that tough infantry of theirs reduces my monsterous cavalry to shreds.
Yeah, they are not short of high Strength attacks, which counters the Necro Knights pretty well I'd imagine. My S4 Daemons on the other hand...

Loving that dark bronze and looking forward to more!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#602 Post by Prince of Spires »

Both armies look great on the field (the dwarf blimp is great!). Congrats on the win. It reads like you had a fairly good idea on what your army needed to do. Some good and some bad luck in the mix. Sounds like a fun battle :)

I think TK have some specific strengths, but they often suffer from comp restrictions and needing all-comers lists in tournaments. They have some good tools for different armies, but they can't fit them all in a list. And they really do need their special characters. They add a lot of synergies to a TK list. More so then with HE for instance, which have some good characters, but which don't add that much other then their own strengths.
RE.Lee wrote:Meanwhile, I've bought another wood and the Garden of Morr yesterday, and I'm planning another scenario in the campaign with some interesting victoy conditions.

Stay tuned!
I definitely will. Looking forward to it!

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Doctor

#603 Post by Doctor »

Nice painting scheme.
RE.Lee

#604 Post by RE.Lee »

Cheers guys, glad you like it!

Using the momentum his army gained after the last victory over the Dwarfs Ashurbanipal pushed towards the Imperial town of Zvorak. The settlement was not only an important tactical objective, controling a bridge over the river Skiros, but also a resting place for a curious Dwarf relic - the last goblin slain by Malakai's Goblin Hewer...

We played a game with 2500 points per side, using my house rules. There were 3 objectives on the field - a hill in the north, a tower (defended by an imperial engineer, who would shoot his repeater handgun at any unit closest to the tower, or in it!) in the centre of the field and a wood in the south. The wood contained a goblin corpse, that could be dug up and carried by any non-flying unit. Controlling each objective was worth 1 points at the end of the battle.

Tomb Kings:
Tomb King on Warsphinx, Sword of Antarhak, Armour of Destiny, shield
High Liche Priest, Earthing Rod
Tomb Prince, BSB (allowes by house rule), Dragonbane Gem, Ironcurse Icon
36 Archers, full command
12 Archers, full command
2x5 Horse Archers
3 Chariots
29 Tomb Guards, halberds, full command, Razor Banner
Necrosphinx
Casket of Souls
Hierotitan

Dwarfs:
Engineer
2 Runesmiths (Runes of Spellbreaking, one had Fiery Ring of Thori)
BSB, with ward save against shooting aura
30ish Longbeards, hand weapon and shield
14 Thunderers
21 Hammerers
20 Slayers
10 Irondrakes
2 Dirigibles (Gyrocopters)
Cannon, Organ Gun, Grudge Thrower

Deployment:

I got 0, 1, 2 and 3 for my spells.
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#605 Post by SpellArcher »

A really nice looking first shot.

The Tomb King on Sphinx is interesting.I guess Earthing Rod on the Hierophant is doubly important. With an extra D3 PD from the Casket and the casting bonus from the Hierotitan, the magic is very promising. I did wonder if the list had enough spells to maximise the threat but Light of Death is always dangerous. I know it's random but I pondered Master Rune of Balance on one Runesmith here. Also, he has no Lord, which he might miss in the combat phase. With Khalida missing, the pressure from TK shooting will at least be a little less.

Interested to see what effect the Organ Gun on the hill has!
RE.Lee

#606 Post by RE.Lee »

I always wanted to take a King on a Sphinx, but under the regular rules it just wasn't an option - he was arguably worse than a normal War Sphinx at almost twice the cost. With our house rules he at least has decent endurance - a 4+ ward, an ok armour save and better healing options. Still not much when it comes to hitting power but I just wanted to see him in action!

My magic really was crucial - mostly for healing. I really like the Lore of Nehekhara - people complain about how we're forced to take it but I think its a very solid support lore, just what the Tomb Kings need (though the no. 6 spell could have been better).

Here's the rest of the report:

Turn 1:

My Sphinxes move aggresively towards the hill in the north. I figure that getting a foothold on that objective could mean a lot. The Tomb Guards secure the central manor - this should keep them safe against shooting.

The Dwarfs respond with a swift march towards the hill - they're not going to give it up easily. They have exposed their flank to my TG, however - an opportunity or a trap? :huh: The damned gyrocopters (great models from Titan Forge) hide behind the buildings.

Turn 2:

I charge the Longbeards with my Sphinxes, but only the Necrosphinx makes it. After 2 rounds of dreadful rolls he collapses into dust, leaving the Dwarfs in possesion of the objective. Time for a change of plans perhaps? The Warsphinx turns towards the centre, ready to fight the incoming infantry. The Tomb Guards leave the building and threaten the Slayers, but are countered with a storm of missails and reduced to about 12.

The Dwarfs split up - the Longbeards are joined by the Hammerers in protecting the hill, while the Slayers stay central alongside the Irondrakes to fight the Tomb Guards.

Oh, my horsemen archers picked up the goblin body (the third objective) and try to bring it behind my lines, for safekeeping. This is important ;)

Turn 3:

My Sphinx-riding King evades the Longbeards and Hammerers and rushes towards the enemy center. The Tomb Guards enter close combat with the Slayers. They win easily but the Dwarfs simply will not run.

The Gyrocopters turn against my archers, but there's plenty of those :P

Turn 4:

The Tomb Guards manage to finish off the Slayers, but get trampled by the Hammerers seconds later. The King wipes out the Irondrakes and moves in on the Quarellers. My archers claim the Manor - can they hold it? A Gyrocopter fries the Archer Horsemen - I lose the Goblin and am in no position to pick him up...

Turns 5&6:

The Kings annihilates the Dwarf shooters. I sacrifice the Titan and some horse archers to keep the Hammerers from destroying my archers. The chariots try to pick up the Goblin, but ran out of time....

With the Tomb Kings in control of the Manor, the Dwarfs in control of the Hill and the Goblin face down in the mud - its a draw!

Comments are very welcome as always!

Cheers!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#607 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:My magic really was crucial - mostly for healing. I really like the Lore of Nehekhara - people complain about how we're forced to take it but I think its a very solid support lore, just what the Tomb Kings need (though the no. 6 spell could have been better).
Light magic is popular of course, partly to balance the lack of Marching, partly to boost combat but perhaps mostly for the blasting power. I guess you feel you have the latter covered already RE?

Losing the Necrosphinx early seemed to put you on the back foot a bit. At least your King was able to slip past and cause some trouble. Could you have just left the Tomb Guard in the building, or did you need them to put pressure on and help the King out? It looks like you did well to sacrifice stuff and keep the archers in possession of the manor.
RE.Lee

#608 Post by RE.Lee »

At first I thought that the Tomb Guard could indeed hold the manor themselves, but then I realised what a Hammerer charge would do to them ;) I probably had an advantage in open field with my 3 ranks fighting but I didn't like the odds at 10 vs 10 :wink:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#609 Post by SpellArcher »

Hmm, I guess there was too much of the game to go? Did the Dwarfs roll up Hatred at the start? Late game you might have been able to suck up the losses and regrow enough to hold on.

Nice picture again. What range are the Dwarfs in the unit from?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#610 Post by Prince of Spires »

Not really much to add, besides that I enjoyed the report :)

I really should start playing with objectives / missions more.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#611 Post by RE.Lee »

@SpellArcher They could be charged like turn 2 - no way I'd be able to hold against that. The Dwarf hatred rules we've changed to be simply hatred against D3 enemy units - less random than the silly, silly original wording.

The Hammerer models are from Mantic - quite bad, but get the job done ;)

@Prince of Spires - objectives really help with changing up how the games go. I was very much inspired by the guys over at Guerre au Garage youtube channel ;)

Meanwhile the Garden of Morr is assembled!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#612 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, the Hatred thing is a bit odd.

Mantic's figures can be a bit crude but I'm a little fond of their 'everyman' thing. Must investigate.

Nice vignette!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#613 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like the Garden of Morr terrain piece. I keep thinking I should get one. Lot's of options in it. Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#614 Post by RE.Lee »

Didn't manage to paint the Garden of Morr but did play a game yesterday!

I changed my army to the Empire, as fighting over a ruined necropolis with an Undead army seemed odd (it was supposed to have supernatural guardians - they might be biased otherwise!).

The scenario had 3 objective - whoever won the majority by the end of the battle would be the victor.

1) "Guardian of the Necropolis" - a wraith would be deployed in the center of the battlefield. He would move randomly (scatter+artillery) and make a shooting attack (3D6-target Ld wounds, no saves allowed) at a closest target (no line of sight required) on each player's turn. He would have T5 a ward save of 4+ and infinite wounds. Whoever causes the most wounds to him by the end of the battle gets this objective.

2) "Rats, rats in the walls!" - a chapel on a hill would be placed on one flank. Any unit occupying it would suffer 3D6 S2 hits at the beginning of the controling player's turns. Whoever controls the chapel at the end of the battle claims this objective.

3) "City of the Dead" - a 12x12" cemetary would be placed on the other flank. Neither Inspiring Presence nor re-roll from a BSB are in effect for units inside it. Starting from turn 2 whoever has the most value of models inside the cemetery gets a point - whoever has most by the end of the battle claims the objective.

We played Empire vs Dwarfs, at 3k.

Full report will be here soon. Here's a teaser:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#615 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:2) "Rats, rats in the walls!" - a chapel on a hill would be placed on one flank. Any unit occupying it would suffer 3D6 S2 hits at the beginning of the controling player's turns. Whoever controls the chapel at the end of the battle claims this objective.
I played a modified version of Watchtower once that had a mechanism like this. My opponent ended up getting the bonus VP's for the tower but the dice on the low-strength hits went crazy and savaged his units!

What is that sneaky airship up to?

RE.Lee

#616 Post by RE.Lee »

The dirigible (counts as Gyrocopter) is, as always, trying to fry my halberdiers. A unit of 40 almost naked men is just asking for it, lets be honest :lol:
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#617 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like the objectives. Bring on the report :)

The objectives look like they slightly favour the dwarves (besides them not being able to move very fast). Higher T, high LD, good armour means for 1 and 3 they suffer perhaps less from the LD based penalties and for 2 they might be able to take the s2 attacks better.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#618 Post by RE.Lee »

The Dwarfs can march up to 3xM per house rules, so speed was also not a problem ;) We actually forgot about the 3D6 S2 hits throughout the battle!

Empire:

Archlector on War Altar, Healing Potion (great given that combined profile!), Dragon Bane Gen
Light Wizard Lord, lvl 4, Power Stone - to boost that Banishment
Captasus, Dawnstone
BSB, Armour of Meteoric Iron
War Priest
Engineer
39 Helberdiers with full command, 2x5 Archer detachments
2x11 Handgunners with full command, repeaters on champions
29 Greatswords, full command
6 IC Knights, full command
3 Demigryphs, champion
6 Outriders
5 Pistoliers
Cannon, Hellblaster, Steam Tank

Dwarfs:

Lord with Shielbearers, no-armour save weapon
2xSmiths, with spellbreaking
BSB with Rune of Grungni
Engineer

40-ish Longbeards
14 Thunderers
10 Miners
30 Hammerers
2x Cannon, Catapult, Organ Gun
10 Rangers
10 Irondrakes
2 Gyrocopters

Deployment was as follows:

I got Burning Gaze, Pha's Protection, Net and Timewarp - so no double Banishment for me...
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#619 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a very small looking dwarf force compared to the horde of empire troops there. Marching 3xM really helps them. Sounds like a good house rule.

Do you have any good TK house rules? Playing against them, especially the marching and crumbling rules hurt, compared to the VC versions.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#620 Post by SpellArcher »

How do you find the Greatswords RE? Do they hold their own in combat?

Looks like the Dwarfs might not contest the chapel immediately?
RE.Lee

#621 Post by RE.Lee »

Dwarfs always look small :lol:

For TK house rules we use the VC/ET rules for healing, but keep the Hierophant. We also use a BSB option for a Tomb Prince (its sometimes free). Its the general house rules that help them a lot, though. AP on spears is big as there's a lot of those in the army - even basic skellies benefit. Combined profiles are nice, too, Warsphinxes and chariots can be good options.

Greatswords are a solid unit, especially with a Priest nearby. They suffer in comparison to other elites, though. Even with S4 they're hardly a match for a Longbeard, let alone a Hammerer or a Phoenix Guard.

Report.

Turn 1

Dwarfs start the battle - the Longbeards enter the cemetery, while the Hammerers speed up the hill in the south. The Rangers secure the chapel. Cannon fire is largely ineffective, but Organ Gun manages to cause 2 wounds on the wraith and the Grudge Thrower lands a direct hit on the Greatswords, killing about 10 men...

The Empire line advances cautiously, respectful of the enemy firepower. Their own guns are well aimed as well, however and they manage to destroy both Dwarf Cannons! The reminder of the shooters cause 2 wounds on the wraith (making it 2:2). Magic sees an irresistable Banishment wreck havoc on the Hammerers.

Turn 2:

Longbeards keep advancing and the Hammerers relieve the Rangers in the Chapel. The Grudge Thrower continues destoying my infantry - this time killing several Halberdiers. The Organ Gun causes 4 wounds on the War Altar, but I manage to keep it alive.

My men keep on advancing, but neither wing has the strenth to challenge the Dwarfs in thei positions. I keep shooting them, but also target the wraith (who keeps drifting towards the cemetery), causing another wound (3:2).

The Dwarfs get the first points for occupying the cemetery.

Turn 3:

Longbeards charge my Demigryphs but are very unlucky and so I hold. The Diribibles fry my Halberdiers as it their custom, rendering my unit totally incapable of assaulting the Chapel...

The units on my left flank reform, as I keep bombarding the Chapel with spells and bullets. The Greatswords assault the Longbeards from the side, but are attacked by the wraith and suffer 8 wounds. This turns the combat against me - the Demis flee, and the Greatswords are left for dead...

Turn 4:

The Dwarfs mop up the cemetery area, some Miners coming in from behind to destoy my Cannon. Dirigibles fry some handgunners, but the losses are acceptable. The Grudge Thrower scatters into the Chapel, killing several Hammerers!

I finally manage to breakthrough - shooting destroys the Dirigibles and the remaining Hammerers (even my archers got one of the buggers!), leaving the Chapel undefended. I move in to block the Irondrakes - the only Dwarf unit left in the area.

Turns 5&6:

The Dwarfs strike a picnic in the cemetery, but are unable to retake the chapel. Only half a dozen Halberdier defenders remain to fight off the inevitable assault by the Irondrakes, but they are aided by Timewarp and so I prevail ;)

Elsewhere the Dwarfs, seeing that the Wraith will be the key objective turn their guns against him. They manage to cause 3 wounds, but a massed volley of the Outriders and Handgunners deals 2 in return, making it 7:6 for me!

Objectives:
"Guardian of the Necropolis" - 7:6 for the Empire
"Rats, rats in the walls!" - 1:0 for the Empire
"City of the Dead" - 5:0 for the Dwarfs

Final outcome - 2:1 for the Empire!

Sorry for the lack of details. I'll try and remeber some specific information is you have questions. Random comments are very welcome as well :)
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#622 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for that RE.

So I thought that was a defensive line refusing the Dwarf right flank but they headed straight for the chapel. I guess 10 v 10 is going to favour smaller elite units. But you just decimated them, even without the rats! How important was taking both Dwarf cannon out early would you say?

Looked like a good, close game.
RE.Lee

#623 Post by RE.Lee »

Oh it was - both good and close!

Those Hammerers in the Chapel were really scary - I guess I could have thrown the Halberdiers against them, exchanging some 4 for 8 each round, but in the end my strategy of laying siege to the hill proved effective.

I think destroying both enemy cannons was very important, given that my opponent tried destroying my War Altar early on. He almost managed that with his Organ Gun alone (thank God for the Healing Potion!) - with two cannons active my general would be dead turn 2. Without Banishment I'd have a much harder time fighting on that crucial flank.

All in all I really like how the scenario worked. All those objectives presented us with interesting tactical decisions. We needed to split out forces wisely and put support where it was needed. It very much promoted a combined arms approach, I think no Deathstar unit in a Folding Fortress would be able to win this one! :lol:

Here's my favourite part of the battle - the desperate charge of the Ironbreakers trying to retake the key landmark of the battlefield.

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#624 Post by SpellArcher »

Brave but futile!

RE.Lee

#625 Post by RE.Lee »

That it was :lol:

I'm slowly starting preparations for our next scenario. I was thinking about the objective being simply grabbing territory - the field would be divided into 3 parts, with the one closest to your edge worth 0 points, the middle one worth 1 point and the fartherst - 2 points per non-flying unit with the majority of its models there by the end of the game. This should create the conditions for a rather aggresive encounter, with both armies trying to balance blocking the enemy units from advancing and grabbing land themselves.

To put a bit of a twist I'm planning to include Plaguebearers popping up from the middle of the table (a portal? a cesspool? a hellcannon shooting them in?) - each turn they'd be deployed as a stonethrower shot. They'd then move 2D6 towards the closest opponent. On contact they'd roll a dice:
1-2 Explosion of pus - each model in the unit suffers a S2 hit
3-4 Visages of decomposition - the unit must take a panic test at -3 Ld
5-6 Fatherly embrace - the unit suffers D6 wounds, no saves allowed
No matter the result, the Plaguebearer dissapears after the attack.

I think that randomness should make every unit fear these encounters :twisted:

Here's the test model I speedpainted today:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#626 Post by SpellArcher »

Oh very nice!

I love the idea of randomly appearing Plaguebearers. Adding that special something to a battle near you!
RE.Lee

#627 Post by RE.Lee »

Its been a while, but the game finally happened today!

The scenario rules were as described earlier. I played against Dwarfs, at 3200 points per size.

High Elves:
Loremaster, 4++, Dispel
Prince, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon
Archmage, Book of Hoeth
BSB, Star Lance, Crown, Dragon Helm
24 Spearmen
20 Archers
5 Reavers
10 SH
20 Phoenix Guard, Razor Banner
21 White Lions, +1M
6 Dragon Princes
2 Tiranoc Chariots
3 RBTs
5 Shadow Warriors

The Dwarfs had:
Lord on shieldbearers
2 runesmiths
BSB
Longbeard horde
14 Thunderers
10 Crossbowmen
10 Miners
21 Hammerers
20 Slayers
2 Gyros
2 Catapults
2 Cannons
Organ Gun

A sneak peak from the battle, more to follow ;)

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#628 Post by SpellArcher »

Love it! That elf doesn't want to get too close to the Plaguebearer does he?

I take it Prince and BSB ride with the Helms? You're being very kind leaving World Dragon at home, it's huge against Dwarfs. Though I guess their list could be nastier.
RE.Lee

#629 Post by RE.Lee »

The Prince and BSB indeed go with the SH. Not a lot of bodies though, and it showed at 3200 points...

Deployment:

I placed my light troops on the left flank to counter the enemy shooters concentrated there. This, I was hoping, would keep them busy as my fragile elites march up the field. The center was occupied by my main forces - PGs, SHs, DPs, with some support. The White Lions were the only thing really on the right flank. I took Lore of Metal with my Archmage and got Plague of Rust, Hounds, Final Trans and Cloak.

The Dwarf infantry was spread across the center, while their shooting concentrated on their right. The left side was anchored by the Longbeards, with Gyrocopters buzzing about.

Turn 1:
The first Plaguebearer hit my spearmen, killing 3 with a fatherly embrace before being struck down.
The Dwarfs started their cannonade and it soon became clear that my scouts would be any threat to the gunline. The Reavers and Shadow Warriors died almost as soon as the battle began. I was luckier with the cannons - one dealt a single wound to the chariot and the other missed an RBT. The enemy infantry began turning southwards, seeing that I've refused their left flank.

Another Plaguebearer emerged, this time attacking the Dwarf Longbeards and killing a couple.
I moved swiftly to meet the enemy, but was not left badly exposed. Magic did nothing, though I did manage to burn a scroll. Shooting managed to bring down a Gyrocopter.

Turn 2:
A Plaguebearer aimed for my Dragon Princes, but they managed to keep their nerve faced with its sudden decomposition.
Dwarf shooters opened fire again, killing all my Silver Helms and damaging the PGs badly. Other units suffered as well, leaving me in very bad shape to proceed with the assault.

A Daemon appeared and ran screaming towards my Spearmen. Depite the presence of a Loremaster the warriors panicked and fled, leaving their comrades to face the Dwarfs alone. The Dragon Princes charged the Slayers, killing 5 or 6, but the deathblows of the Dwarfs fell 3 of my knights. The Phoenix Guards, the Prince and the BSB charged against the Hammerers. They won the combat but the stubborn Dwarfs pinned them in place.

Turn 3:
Another Plaguebearer was summoned and faced my White Lions. With the morale of the army low even these veterans fled, my last hope of a counterattack suddenly gone... The Longbeards counterattacked by stranded Dragon Princes, slaying the remaining three. The Irondrakes assaulted the side of my PGs and even though I still managed to kill 6 Dwarfs the combat was a draw. Elsewhere Miners destroyed my RBTs.
The only success was that my opponent managed to roll 6 (six!) misifires in a row, blowing up his Organ Gun in result.

Seeing his army all but disappeared El-far-Andil called the retreat...

Ouch!
Comments are welcome ;)
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Doctor

#630 Post by Doctor »

Does that Plaguebearer thing really make sense? Making the game more random?