HE assembly tips (glue first or paint first especially)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Doctor

HE assembly tips (glue first or paint first especially)

#1 Post by Doctor »

Hello,

I'm looking for some tips about the assembly of current HE models, especially the "paint first or glue first" issue. Based on your experience, specific to concrete HE models.

I've assembled my archers and spears and it's more time consuming than I thought. The archers were assembled fully, while the spearmen will have their shields painted separately. Generally I think that gluing as much as possible is the simplest way to go.

My theoretical thoughts about other units are as follows:

Silver helms - horses, riders and their shields separately.
Dragon princes - Horse and lower body, upper body ans shields separate.
White lions - IDK really, fully assembled?
PG - also not sure
Sisters, Shadow Warriors - fully assembled
IOB Sea Guard - I think I'll glue them after painting.
IOB Sword masters - nothing to glue, apart form the command group.
IOB mage - don't know. He would be easier to paint without assembly, but I'm not sure if gluing him painted is the best idea
IOB griffon prince - as above.
Pheonix - probably partially assembled, but I don't know exactly how.
Lion chariot - lions, chariot and crew separately.
Prince and noble kit - probably shields and standards and the horse apart. I'm thinking about making a mounted BSB with a shield and a sword (tha banner would somehow be attached to the horse) or holding the banner in his left hand and a sword in this right. The shield and banner combo doesn't make sens, especially when he is mounted.
5 ed Prince Imrik - dragon, wings, tail, rider separately.

So far I only found this and this topics. I hope to get some more advice.

Regards,
Dr
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: HE assembly tips (glue first or paint first especially)

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think it depends on what the level of painting is that you want to achieve. If you're going for pro-award-winning levels of painting then you will probably leave more parts off the model and paint first glue later. If you're aiming for tabletop standard, then you'll probably glue most parts first and paint later.

I'm a 'tabletop standard' level painter. I generally glue models together as much as possible and only leave off parts which would create difficult to reach parts. So, mainly shields and cloaks. But, for the old cavalry models also the riders (since they're separate anyway).

Some specifics:
- IOB: I've glued all models together except for the mage. The other models are easy enough to paint easily enough glued together. So not much reason not to do so. Gluing the mage together creates some very tough areas to paint in the smoke-base thing and behind the cloak. So, I've left him in 2 parts.
- phoenix: if unmounted then glued together. There aren't really any hidden areas on the model. It's surprisingly 2D. So you're not likely to run into issues painting it. If mounted then I would leave off the model and paint him separately.
- For the others: indeed: leave shields off and keep models unmounted. I would glue the wings to the imrik dragon. I don't think they will get in the way of painting much. Which is my criterium for glueing or not.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Orchaldor

#3 Post by Orchaldor »

I tend to agree with Rod, and base my painting/glueing on how hard it will be to reach certain areas once assembled. Usually I make up "sub-assemblies" of those parts that can be glued together without getting in the way of painting, for example I'm currently painting some Eldar Wraithblades, for which I have assembled both legs, waist and base as a single unit.

The other thing that influences my choice to paint or glue first is the colour basecoat I want to use - to use the same example of my Wraithblades, the legs were sprayed white (as they are going to be bone coloured), while the little hip shields were kept separate and sprayed black. If the shields were going to be the same colour as the legs, I'd have glued them to the rest of the leg assembly first.

Generally, I plan my decisions on the ease of painting the colour scheme I intend to use, for some models it's easy (Thank you IoB Swordmasters!), some were done in lots of bits (Phoenix Guard). Go for what makes it easiest for you - very important for your sanity while painting large numbers of similar models!
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

Hey Doctor. I have painted almost every high elf model in the lineup and can safely say that other than shields, I have never painted a model prior to assembly. I would say that I can paint to a decent standard (better than most but certainly not in competition for prizes for painting round my area - some pics in my blog link) and it has never been a problem
Doctor

#5 Post by Doctor »

Thank you for all the replies :)

"Tabletop quality" means different things for different people :) I'm aiming for what I'd call tabletop+ (so proper shading, using glazes etc), though I'll have to get some more practice before I get there.

My dragon has his head already glued, but not the wings. The tail and legs are separate. As is the rider.

As for the Phoenix, I plan to magnetize him so I'll be easily able to switch between raider and riderless version.

BTW John Rainbow, very nice topic.
Doctor

#6 Post by Doctor »

An SH specific question:

I wonder what's the point of the gem on their saddle/legs? It seems to make it more difficult to fit them on the horse and it's not very exposed. Or maybe when they're properly mounted it is visible? I'm not entirely sure how close should the rider be to the head of his horse.

BTW these SH models are annoying to assemble. The mold lines, especially on the horses are difficult to remove and the parts don't fit very well. I guess the molds may be a bit used up, the horse model didn't change since 5th edition I think.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I usually think that the point of gems is that GW model designers believe that it's not a high elf unless there are gems on all possible surfaces. I don't think it has a specific purpose or any idea behind it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:I usually think that the point of gems is that GW model designers believe that it's not a high elf unless there are gems on all possible surfaces. I don't think it has a specific purpose or any idea behind it.

Rod
Haha yep. And while they've always had quite a few gems there has been noticeable gem creep over the years.
Doctor

#9 Post by Doctor »

I have trouble deciding it it's better to glue the quivers on Shadow Warriors before priming, or paint them separately. Any thoughts on this?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Doctor wrote:I have trouble deciding it it's better to glue the quivers on Shadow Warriors before priming, or paint them separately. Any thoughts on this?
I always do things like quivers separate. You can paint them really easily on the sprue, and then just touch up the places where you cut them off. I'm sure it comes from doing model airplane/tank kits but it works with minis too. And you don't have to worry about being neat with the base color of the quiver, as there isn't anything to get the paint on.
Myth

#11 Post by Myth »

It can be tough to decide how to approach some models, whether to glue or paint first.
Some models are strait forward, you paint basic body and glue accessories or extremity, Archers are most basic example.
So far, I found IoB Reavers difficult since if you assemble them first you can't approach some parts and other way if you paint first you will have difficulties to cover joints.
If you not too detailed with the model, I would say it can be assembled, joints covered, primed/based and those parts which are not easily approached you can add shade there.