2400 newb's first tournament

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
mstrdtch

2400 newb's first tournament

#1 Post by mstrdtch »

So I just started Warhammer Fantasy (yeah, i know, nice timing considering AoS and all, but whatever). I have only played 1 game so far, but in 2 month's time there is going to be held a local tournament at 2400 points and I'd like to play there. I know I will lose all the games, but i dont mind, it'll be fun.

Now the thing is I am kind of restricted by the models that I have. You see, I have only 2 Island of Blood sets in my possession, plus a "loremaster" character, and 30 IoB Seaguard models that I bought on Ebay (so that gives me 50 seaguard models which could be used as normal spearmen too, I suppose). In addition to this, a friend is willing to borrow me 2 Great Eagles, some Repeater Bolt Throwers, and a Frostheart Phoenix, to beef up my army for the tournament. He told me he might also let me borrow a mage riding a dragon, but we'll see.

With this models I have made the following list, please advice? I have little room to add a completely new unit because I won't have it at my disposal, but of course things can be left out, unit sizes can be changes, I might be able to add that dragon mage, and I could change stuff such as magic items. Does this list look anything close to... at least, viable?
Archmage (320 pts)
+ Wizard Level 4
+ Book of Hoeth
+ Talisman of Preservation

Loremaster of Hoeth (230 pts)
+ Wizard Level 2

Noble (237 pts)
+ Griffon
+ Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Longbow

Noble (237 pts)
+ Griffon

5 Ellyrian Reavers (95 pts)
+ Bows and Spears

+ Bows and Spears

35 Lothern Seaguard (415 pts)
+ Full Command

20 Swordmasters of Hoeth (290 pts)
+ Full Command

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (?? pts)

Frostheart Phoenix (??? pts)

Great Eagle (?? pts)

Great Eagle (?? pts)
Last edited by mstrdtch on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2400 newb's first tournament

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome!
mstrdtch wrote:Does this list look anything close to... at least, viable?
Yes. Yes it does.

The Archmage is fine. I suggest High Magic and putting him in the Swordmasters. His 4+ Ward will usually become 3+ through Shield of Saphery, so he can survive combat. Shield also protects the unit of course. High has good utility spells which complement the Loremaster's more aggressive ones very well. LM could do with more protection, maybe the 4+ Ward armour and a Dispel Scroll is a very good idea for him. You need a Battle Standard Bearer, the re-rolls are priceless. My favourite build is on foot, Merwyrm Shield, Sword of Anti-heroes, Ironcurse Icon. He usually goes in Swordmasters.

The Core is fine. Swordmasters need Banner of the World Dragon because it protects them (and characters) from many things that would otherwise destroy them. The Rare choices are good. I would drop one Griffon for a Frost Phoenix, the latter is very strong.

The most important thing with eagles is redirection. Eagle flies to 1" in front of nasty enemy unit. Enemy charges, eagle holds and dies. Enemy can only Overrun 2d6", instead of the longer charge he would have made. This lets you prevent vital enemy charges on your more valuable units. Won't work vs flyers though. You can also angle the eagle's base. The charging enemy must square up to it, which means any Overrun could take him in an unfavourable direction.
mstrdtch

#3 Post by mstrdtch »

Thank you Spellarcher! It turns out that I forgot to type that there actually was a Frostheart Phoenix in my first list, as it was, it didn't reach 2400 but now it does. As per your suggestions, the list would now look like follows. This actually puts me at 36 points over the limit. So firstly, does it seem obvious to other people too that dropping a Noble on Griffon is worth it to include the Battle Standard Bearer noble, the Banner of the World Dragon and some magic items for my Loremaster? And secondly, how to shave off 36 points from this list?

Also thank you Spellarcher for the tips on how to actually use the list. It is good to hear advice on where to put my heroes and lords, so as to make them actually useful in a game.
Archmage (320 pts)
+ High Magic (?)
+ Wizard Level 4
+ Book of Hoeth
+ Talisman of Preservation

Loremaster of Hoeth (305 pts)
+ Wizard Level 2
+ Armour of Destiny
+ Dispel Scroll

Noble (145 pts)
+ Battle Standard Bearer
+ Heavy Armour
+ Shield of the Merwyrm
+ Ironcurse Icon
+ Sword of Anti-Heroes

Noble (237 pts)
+ Griffon

+ Bows and Spears

+ Bows and Spears

35 Lothern Seaguard (415 pts)
+ Full Command

20 Swordmasters of Hoeth (340 pts)
+ Banner of the World Dragon
+ Full Command

Frostheart Phoenix (??? pts)

Great Eagle (?? pts)

Great Eagle (?? pts)

Total: 2436 points
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome.

I'd drop the longbow from the Noble (doesn't do enough) and two Swordmasters.These should usually be seven wide, three deep to maximise attacks and this way there would be room for all three foot characters. Now and then you might want to deploy one or more in the Sea Guard (if you're facing Dwellers Below for example).
mstrdtch

#5 Post by mstrdtch »

Why if facing Dwellers Below? So I won't lose all my characters at once you mean?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Yep.

Plus the Swordmasters are a key target themselves, you can afford to take damage to the LSG better. World Dragon stops most spells cold but Dwellers, Dreaded 13th and Final Transmutation are exceptions.