Building of Lothern

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

AnatharCaerun

Building of Lothern

#1 Post by AnatharCaerun »

Hi all,

First time posting in the forums, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't seem to find the right place for it!

I was wondering if anyone knows when Lothern was built? Crucially, was it before the time of Aenerion?

Thank for your time,

Anathar
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Building of Lothern

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you, since I don't know the answer. But I've moved you post to the culture forum where you're probably most likely to get an answer.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Headshot
Ultimate End Times Chronicler

#3 Post by Headshot »

Welcome Anathar!

From what I've been told, yes indeed Lothern as a settlement and fortress predates the founding of the Ever Empire. It apparently has been settled and resettled for some time during the 'dawn mists' when Ulthuan was populated by scattered clans and kingdoms. Even then its geographical position, and deep harbor, made it an attractive place for elves to live, and my sources told me that it was well used as a meeting assembly point for clan gatherings. Though of course this was of a much smaller scale, made mostly of wooden structures, than the Lothern we know.

(Legend says that there were actually two settlements back then, one to the east and one to the west, set up by two competing princely brothers...but that is another tale. :D )

Well anyways, I was told Aenarion considered building his capital there before ultimately decided to go to the fertile vales of the north and build Anlec from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Headshot
[quote="Seredain"]Headshot, you are wise like Yoda[/quote]
Davariel
Chronicler

#4 Post by Davariel »

The fluff for the Shield of the Merwyrm in the army book mentions that Lothern was besieged during the daemon invasion, which means it probably would have been built (in some form at least) before Aenarion became Phoenix King.
AnatharCaerun

#5 Post by AnatharCaerun »

Brilliant! Thanks for the help guys - only last question is whether we know if the Gates of Lothern were built during a particular Phoenix King's reign? I seem to remember there being something about it in one of the old army books, but I can't remember when it was.

Just to give you a picture - I am running an WHFB End Times RPG for some of my friends and there's alot of time hopping involved - trying to get a picture of what would be around in the lead up to the daemonic incursion of Aenarion's day.

Rich