Back online

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

Back online

#1 Post by Ricold »

Yes, I've just reverted the forum to the old software. This is the thread as we had it.
Ricold wrote:Well well well, that's been an interesting few days.

I've discovered several things, including that our preferred theme once again doesn't work with the latest forum update. You might notice that while this theme is awful, it does have a few High Elf modifications. I'm rather proud of what little I've meneged, but if anyone here knows how to make themes, I'd much, much rather have something nicer than this.

I've discovered that trying to download the database table for the search function breaks the old server. Once Eldacar reboots it AGAIN (3rd time in 4 days I think), I'll update back there directing people across, in the mean time, we might be a few members light, depending on whether they've caught the news while the old site was still online. I've gone and posted out to about 6-8 of the other warhammer sites, notably our sisters at Druchii and Asrai, so we should catch some people who are watching elsewhere for news.

What else? Besides the obvious theme change, we've not actually lost any data from the forums! Makes a nice change. I've implemented the latest forum updates while I was at it. That's what broke the theme. The library is down. I'm going to try making a new one. I cleaned the database (no really, one can clean databases), so we have less junk.

Oh, cookies are probably broken until we get the domain back. This will mean annoying logging in for every visit. Sorry!

If you find anything else that's annoying you, let me know.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I'd forgotten about the icons, nice to see them again.

As to the theme, what's it made in? I have some (rusty, but recently returned to use) skills that might be useful.
Ricold wrote:Can any of the other Loremasters confirm if they can still see the Loremaster forum please? I can't, which worries me
Shannar, Sealord wrote:From what I can see the theme is just done with css, that's no problem to play around with.

However, in an earlier thread you mentioned the bot protection came from the theme, and that's not really a css thing so I'm a bit confused. Obviously I can't see all the pieces so perhaps I'm missing something.
Daeron wrote:Cheers for the work. Nice to see it's upgraded to phpBB 3.1. Indeed, we've been looking into a similar upgrade for Dnet but unfortunately it breaks the theme and there's a notable lack of new styles for phpBB 3.1 that suit our style. There's never enough blood on them.

Good work!
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

Re: Back online

#2 Post by Daeron »

Back to the old software? Hm.
If it's the bot protection you're worried about, perhaps I can help. We have kept Dnet bot free for some time with little more than the available features.

How was it done in the current theme?
Oops
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#3 Post by Ricold »

My reason for updating was just because I had the opportunity. My reasons for reverting are because it just wasn't working. Lore couldn't access the lore forum, and at least one user was showing as having posted a year before they registered. So I reverted. We've been keeping bots at bay fairly well with the existing stuff but it's only a matter of time before they break the existing security.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Andrew_uk

#4 Post by Andrew_uk »

Well done and thank you for getting it fixed!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I can see the Lores forum.

Our secret plan to take over the world is still going nicely.

:)
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice work in updating. Things seem to be working well but things look a bit simpler. As an aside, the web address is now altered away from a dot.com for me and I am having problems staying logged in - I keep having to re-enter my details all the time to post.
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

The site also recently threw an error that I haven't seen before at me when trying to post a reply - said it couldn't find the address of the requested page?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:Nice work in updating. Things seem to be working well but things look a bit simpler. As an aside, the web address is now altered away from a dot.com for me and I am having problems staying logged in - I keep having to re-enter my details all the time to post.
All of that is explained by this:
Oh, cookies are probably broken until we get the domain back. This will mean annoying logging in for every visit. Sorry!
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#9 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Ricold wrote:
Ricold wrote:Can any of the other Loremasters confirm if they can still see the Loremaster forum please? I can't, which worries me
Yes.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#10 Post by Ricold »

Ah, I should have said something when I sorted that one
John Rainbow

#11 Post by John Rainbow »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:Nice work in updating. Things seem to be working well but things look a bit simpler. As an aside, the web address is now altered away from a dot.com for me and I am having problems staying logged in - I keep having to re-enter my details all the time to post.
All of that is explained by this:
My bad. Thanks for the info.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#12 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The lack of the domain is also what's messing up the links, as those are all use it. Everything I've read makes it think it won't be an issue getting it back (we did have that problem once), it just takes time to get it moved over.
Mentheus of Chrace

#13 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Thanks for fixing the captcha! =D>
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'