Help against Orcs and Goblins W/ Woc

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
demonwalker

Help against Orcs and Goblins W/ Woc

#1 Post by demonwalker »

So I'm currently involved in a series of three games where I am teaming up with Dwarves against Warriors and Orcs. Two 2k games on the flanks and a 4k game in the center. The flank games determine the center game's deployment. My team has lost the first of these due to poor communication and lack of information, as well as some bad luck. We need to win the next game, then try for the overall win.

While I don't know how the next games will be like, the first one we had 3 buildings. Whoever had control of 2/3 buildings by the end of the game won. Normally we just do kill points, so this threw me for a loop. Especially as I took an all cav based list.

From the end game talking with my partner, he will be taking a standard dwarf gunline list. So I can expect war machines, hand gunners, and quarrelers. Probably a couple of small combat units as well.

Based on what I know of my opponents, I can expect the Chaos player to take 40 Warriors marked and carrying with Halberds and Shields, A lord and bsb hiding in that unit, a chimera, and something else to 'round' out the list like 20 chosen and a lv 2 on a warshrine. He is of the opinion that large units are the only way to play the game, making playing against his stuff a grind. Example: After seeing 10 fast cav in a unit get murdered, he decided he needs to take more of them.

The Orcs will likely take a horde of 40 black or savage orcs with a good chunk of his characters, a horde of 100+ goblins, doom divers, mangler squigs, and stone throwers. He believes similarly to the chaos player that large units are the way to go. Again, this will be a grind, and an effort in pain. (Interestingly enough, both players hate deathstar units and call them gimmicks, but both run them aplenty.)

What do you guys think the best way is of handling this? My current list against them is 2 units of 15 Archers, some Reavers, 20 spears, a horde of White lions w/ botwd, 2 eagles, a bolt thrower, bsb, and 2 casters, lv2 Shadow and lv4 Metal.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Help against Orcs and Goblins W/ Woc

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome demonwalker!

It looks like the first scenario favoured your opponents. Big units are difficult to shift from buildings and your partner was running a gunline. Hammerers are good here, your Lions are too. Flaming attacks are helpful because of the re-roll to wound vs buildings.

Level 4 Metal looks good because Final Transmutation will hurt those blocks and the Lore is solid in general vs Warriors. Your units (plus the Dwarfs) look best suited to holding, the Reavers and Eagles can slow the blocks down. The Lions can fight the Warriors but your Core units look better against O&G.
demonwalker

#3 Post by demonwalker »

Alright then. If wanted, I can post what my list is exactly. As for the first game...it was wonky. Had we had any info ahead of time, I wouldn't have run a cav based list. To make it more odd, my partner actually ran a Bugman based list. So we had actually no shooting at all, and a bunch of really slow ambushes. Made for a sad game.
Eirik

#4 Post by Eirik »

Also, metal lore gets rerolls to wound against buildings, because it's fire.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
demonwalker

#5 Post by demonwalker »

So we had our second game....and it was even worse than the first. Went up against several units of 60-100 goblins each, and all the best monstrous cav from Chaos. We deployed against them actually having a center. Nope, they had stacked flanks and nothing in the center. Mission was there were 6 objectives that gave an extra 500 points each. By the end of the game I was tabled, my partner was almost tabled, and they had 5 objectives. The only one we kept was the Haunted mansion...which by the way did almost as much damage on it's own as the entire enemy side.

Due to losing both games, the final game of 4000 each person will be them having about a 6"x12" cut on both flanks of our deployment. My partner only knows that his list will have the High King in it. Mine has the Everqueen with High magic holed up in White Lions, A Life Lv4 with 19 Dragon Princes, a Lv2 Heaven? Caster in a unit of spears, A prince with the White Lions, 2 archer units, and 2 Frost Phoenixs. I'm hoping the stacked bonuses will help keep my army alive.
Eirik

#6 Post by Eirik »

demonwalker wrote:We deployed against them actually having a center. Nope, they had stacked flanks and nothing in the center.
Many games are lost entirely in the deployment phase. And those that aren't are often lost in the movement phase. These are usually more important than your list composition or choice of spell lore. This is very hard for us to judge because we cannot see your battlefield.

In any case, WoC and OnG would be a very tough combination to work against. Those are two of the hardest match-ups I play against as HE. The goblins are so cheap that they're practically impossible to engage in a cost effective manner. WoC Armor is tough-as-nails and they have a lot of 'scary things' that can saturate your radar. Do you shoot the demon prince, lord on disk, WoC chariots, OnG chariots, or S5 T4 1+ Armor Chaos Knights? How do you kill those annoying doom divers when they're being guarded by a hellcannon? There are so many threats on the table that it can be very hard to choose your engagements.

Being teamed up with Dwarves is also a tough one. An extremely mobile army teamed up with an immobile gunline means that you can't exert your strengths without having to engage two players alone. I'm not saying your setup is impossible, but I imagine it would take a very talented pair of coordinated players to pull it off. There are so many nuances to this type of matchup and I can imagine dozens of traps to fall into. It sounds like a very interesting puzzle to approach from a strategic standpoint, but a stressful situation to be in for the first ten matches.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011