2500 Tournament List

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Timharper

2500 Tournament List

#1 Post by Timharper »

The second phase of my club tournament is about to commence, and everyone is allowed to change their army lists from the last time so I am considering what I might do with mine. I know the four armies that I will be up against, and the lists that they used in the first half, but these all might change. They are:

Dark Elves - Dreadlord, Morathi, Cauldron of Blood, BSB, Corsairs (2x24), Black Guard (24), Dark Riders (2x5), Doomfire Warlocks (2x5)

Orcs and Goblins - Orc Warboss, Orc Big Boss BSB, Night Goblin Great Shaman, Savage Orc Shaman, Orc Boyz (2x30), Night Gobs (25), Savage Big 'Uns (19), Wolf Riders (2x5), Black Rocs (20), Boar Chariot (2), River Trolls (4), Giant

Dwarfs - Lord, Runesmith, BSB, Warriors (39), Quarrellers (2x18), Hammers (30), Cannon, Gyrobomber, Organ Gun

Skaven - Queek Headtaker, Grey Seer, BSB, Slaves (1x20, 2x40), Clanrats (2x40), Stormvermin (46), Hell-Pit, Doomwheel, Warlock Engineer

If anyone has any suggestions for units that would be particularly strong / weak agains tthe above (assuming the core of the army remains pretty constant in each case) that would be very useful. I have been planning on taking something along the following:

Archmage (Shadow)
Mage (High)
BSB
Archers (2x15)
Silver Helms (2x6)
Phoenix Guard (30)
White Lions (30)
Bolt Throwers (3)
Eagles (2)

Unfortunately due to the comp restrictions in place, I can only take 2 of the following: BOTWD, Book of Hoeth, 3 Bolt Throwers.

The main weakness I can see is a lack of flaming, but unsure how best to address that and maintain balance.

Ideas most gratefully appreciated!

Tim
John Rainbow

Re: 2500 Tournament List

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Seems like a reasonable, rounded list. I've used something very similar with decent success (at 2500pts):

Archmage(4)[Shadow] + BoH, Golden Crown, Ironcurse
BSB + Reaver Bow, Pot.Str.
Mage(2)[Heavens] + scroll

21 Archers + MS
10 Archers + M
3 x 5 Reavers + bow/spear

27 WLs + CMS, BotWD
24 PG + CMS, Razor Banner

11 Sisters
4 RBTs
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Swapping a bolt thrower for a small unit of Sisters of Avelorn could be good to break regeneration on those river trolls.
Timharper

#4 Post by Timharper »

I was thinking I could drop an RBT and Eagle for a unit of 9 sisters, to help with the regen on the Hell-Pit and the Trolls.

I am also concerned about the number of large infantry blocks I look to be facing; plus my ability to "push" effectively against a dwarf list with Organ Gun and 36 cross bow shots.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Pushing against that dwarf list is a poor idea. You have a ranged advantage so it is likely worth your while to shoot him first and remove his most threatening units like the organ gun and copters before engaging. This is why you take a hybrid list - you don't have to push and it will force him to move and engage as you have longer ranged threats.
qwe50

#6 Post by qwe50 »

Do you have a phoenix ? none of you opponents list can do much about it. (And it can do alot to them :-)

I would go with high magic - shadow is good and fit the list but there are way to many "I really need flames" opponents like the stormvermin. High have flames, a posibility to take out opponents magic items, + in bs, 4d6 s4. High will be much better.

Archer units are bigger and tooled up so they can fight too - thats also why i have chosen beast (wyssans) as support lore. (you can go with heavens if you like it better) combat BSB, he will be with the archmage so they will both have 3+ Ward. The bit change is a blue phoenix and no bolt trowers. No bolt trowers is generaly not a good idere but you main targets, hell pit, trolls, warlocks ... can be shoot with s3/s4 there is not alot of armour where the s6 no save is needed.

Archmage (High) @ 320
lvl4, book of hoeth, talisman of preservation.

Mage (Beast) @ 120
Dispel scroll.

Noble BSB @ 149
Armour of Destiny, Great weapon.

20 x Archers @ 220
Standard and musician.

20 x Archers @ 220
Standard and musician.

5 x Silver helms with shields @ 115
5 x Silver helms with shields @ 115

20 x Phoenix guard @ 375
Full Command, razor standard

24 x White lions @ 372
Standard, Banner of the World dragon

11 x Sisters @ 154

Frostheart @ 240
Love making army lists
Don't believe MSU
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

The enemy lists do not look especially fearsome Tim. Any of the HE lists here would be fine IMHO. PG will make short work of most of those infantry units. With Withering your shooting can melt an infantry block surprisingly quickly. I would keep 3 RBT (can you take 4?) because they outrange almost everything, the Dwarfs for example would have to come to you.