2500 against OnG

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
raccoonhat

2500 against OnG

#1 Post by raccoonhat »

Hey everyone,
I'll be playing against OnG next month. He'll typically bring
- 30 Savage Orc Big Ones
- 2 mangler squigs
- 1 savage orc shaman with shrunken head
- Wolf riders

/* EDIT: NEW LIST: */

Lords
Loremaster of Hoeth (BOH, Sword of Anti-heroes, Shield of Merw)
Archmage (Level 4, Dispel scroll, Tal of Pres)

Heroes
Noble (Enchanted shield, Golden Crown, Dragon armour, Reaver bow, BSB)

Core
20 Archers
11 Archers
11 Archers
5 Ellyrian Reavers (Musician, Bows)
5 Silver Helms (BS, Shields)

Special
6 Dragon Princes of Caledor (SB, Lichebone pennant)
26 Phoenix Guard (Musician,BS,Gleaming pennant)

Rare
2 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
1 Frostheart Phoenix
2 Great Eagle
My list

/* EDIT: OLD LIST: */
Lords
Loremaster of Hoeth (Dispel scroll,Tal of pres, Crown of command)
Archmage(Level 4, High magic, tal of 5+ ward save, BOH)

Heroes
Noble (Shield of the Merwym , Dragon armour, Reaver bow, BSB)

Core
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers
12 Archers
5 Ellyrian Reavers ( Mus, bows)
5 Ellyrian Reavers ( Mus, bows)

Special
24 Phoenix Guard (Musician,BS, Gleaming pennant)
10 Phoenix Guard (SB, BOTW)

Rare
2 Great Eagle
Frostheart Phoenix

AM sits back with 10 Phoenix Guard, protected against Foot of Gork by BOTW and spamming Fiery convocation against his SOBU unit. Tries to destroy the Lucky shrunken head
Loremaster joins the 24 Phoenix Guard and uses all his spells against the SOBU to destroy the mage and BSB
Archers and RBT try and destroy all his chaff, redirect stuff
The flying creatures try to flank charge or go warmachine hunting.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by raccoonhat on Tue May 19, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
qwe50

Re: 2500 against OnG

#2 Post by qwe50 »

That o&g army uselly comes with big units of trolls, night goblins with fanatics and goblin chariots. And especially the trolls is a big problem for you list.

First it is a very expencive bodyguard you Mage have. A job 20 x archers can do just as well. Also i see no need for the loremaster.
Main target for magic and shooting is manglers, manglers and manglers and if you can do a bit to the trolls that would be nice. A Prince cost less, fight better and a ruby ring give you the fireball you want from the loremaster.
You army is "a lot of slow" So i would add some fast units to give you more options to react to you opponent.
and so he can't push to much forward (the shooty/magic o&g useally don't)

Prince goes with guards to add power and MR, guards have the flaming banner so trolls won't be a problem (infact 12 x trolls is a nice jusy target now) The Prince don't have flaming attack with could be handy if opponent have like a dragon helm. keep BSB and Mage back in the Archer units.
I have add silver helms and chariots to support with there long range - if he shoot at them well then he is not shooting at you frostheart or phoenix guards. BSB got a potion of strengh - it is a one hit wonder but that could be needed to kill a mangler. Magic don't go all in on flames, you big threat is walk between Worlds if you can get like a chariot in a good spot to take out his warmachines early in the game you should do well.
Have fun

Prince @ 236
(heavy armour, Merwyrm shield, ogre blade, obsidant amulet, potion of foolhardiness)

Archmage @ 310
(Level 4, High magic, Ruby ring of ruin, Golden Crown of atrazar, Book of hoeth.)

Heroes @ 152
Noble (Dragon armour, halberd, Potion of strengh, Reaver bow, BSB)

698p

Core 628p
19 x Archers with musician @200
10 x Archers @100

6 x silver helms with shields @138

5 x Ellyrian Reavers (Spear and bow) @ 95
5 x Ellyrian Reavers (Spear and bow) @ 95

Special 690p

34 x Phoenix Guard @ 550
(Full command, Banner of eternal flame)

Tiranoc chariot @ 70
Tiranoc chariot @ 70

Rare 480p

2 x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
2 x Great Eagle

Frostheart Phoenix
Love making army lists
Don't believe MSU
raccoonhat

#3 Post by raccoonhat »

Hmm, haven't used a prince yet. Will look into that.
You would put the 19 archers together? Ah have to be minimum 10.
I'm afraid of foot of gork but archers with botw will do nicely. Or just accept the s4 hit...
Interesting ideas, back to the drawing board :-)
qwe50

#4 Post by qwe50 »

I am not sure i undestand

I have one unit of 19 x Archers with a musician and another unit of 10 x Archers.

if you place you Archers 10x9 foot of gork will not hit many and there is a good chance it scatter off and remember you mage have look out sire so he is very safe from that spell. If you misscast and Loose 3-4 men or get hit and lose say 10 men you still have enough for look out sire. Banner of the World dragon is very good but not needed here.
The reson the unit have to be big is because of doom divers - 10 men can quickly get under 5 so you Loose look out sire.
Love making army lists
Don't believe MSU
Eirik

#5 Post by Eirik »

That IS an expensive bunker for the mage. Bunkers for high magic are worthwile, you need to get close to use some 18'' spells and it can be dangerous.

I Think BotWD is unnecessary, an MR(2) amulet provides similar protection from spells and the high magic lore property grants a reasonable 3+ vs miscasts.

I like high mage in archers. If you're going for something more exotic maybe shadow warriors (mobility, hard to hit with shooting/templates, and again the MR(2) amulet should cover you for spells).

But how's this for protection: put the archmage in the same archers as the BSB. They can both benefit from the lore property, and you can invest the 150pts from the PG to either make the archer unit bigger (they can fire in 3 ranks) or buy a bodygaurd unit to threaten anyone getting near the archers (such as some white lions or silver helms). At least this way, you can do something with those points if no one attacks your mage bunker. If you take more archers then you can do more shooting. If you take the lions/helms you can send them up to support.

I think gleaming pennant is great, it's won me games on cav units that get too far from the BSB. Your block of PG can benefit from it if he stays back to shoot. However, razor standard is also extremely powerfull on an offensive block of PG.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
raccoonhat

#6 Post by raccoonhat »

• A character with MR gives it to the unit (just reread the rule :) ).
  • Look out Sir protects against Foot.
  • A Prince can have loads of extra stuff.
  • And I have smaller units that don't run away that easily.
  • 1 mage does mean that I don't have a dispell scroll but againts OnG that isn't that big of a problem if I can handle the Foot
Last game I played Skaven and he killed about a million skavenslaves with Foot and the consequent failed LD tests. They never had characters so LoS wasn't relevant. Think like an elf Racoonhat, think pointy instead of ratty :P

Cool things to play around with, adding some Silver Helms does make for more mobility. Trying out different load outs for the characters.

I was thinking about a denied flank because in the last two games he never used any warmachines. It's a big risk of course because if he changes his mind, he's bound to hit a unit.
raccoonhat

#7 Post by raccoonhat »

Played around a bit. I like the Loremaster for debuffs and sniping.
An archer bunker might be enough.
Foot is indeed less powerful againts elves, might need some MR
I need some extra oomph apart from my Phoenix guard, why not try some Dragon Princes? They never made it on the table and look so cute with their 2A and lances.
How about this?

Lords
Loremaster of Hoeth (BOH, Sword of Anti-heroes, Shield of Merw)
Archmage (Level 4, Dispel scroll, Tal of Pres)

Heroes
Noble (Enchanted shield, Golden Crown, Dragon armour, Reaver bow, BSB)

Core
20 Archers
11 Archers
11 Archers
5 Ellyrian Reavers (Musician, Bows)
5 Silver Helms (BS, Shields)

Special
6 Dragon Princes of Caledor (SB, Lichebone pennant)
26 Phoenix Guard (Musician,BS,Gleaming pennant)

Rare
1 Frostheart Phoenix
2 Great Eagle
qwe50

#8 Post by qwe50 »

It looks good
helms and Princes add speed and range - i think the loremaser + archmage combo is to expencive but is is not bad.
Are you sure you don't want book of hoeth on the archmage - he is you main caster ?
The phoenix guards will be prime target for food of gork so i think they should have the MR banner also leve the Princes
Vanilla and use the points on the guards.
Love making army lists
Don't believe MSU
raccoonhat

#9 Post by raccoonhat »

I won rather convincingly. We usually play till 03.00 and now it was over by 22.30
I shot his giant and 2 mangler squigs.
My Reavers delayed his Grimgor and Black Orcs unit.
I charged his Savage Orcs Big Uns with an eagle in the front and a Frosty in the flank, put the Iceshard spell on them...they ran and were destroyed. He gave up.

All in all he didn't have a great list (lots of squig hoppers and a giant) en his deployment en scenery placement weren't that fabulous.

My dragon princes didn't get a chance to shine, were probably playing cards with the Silver Helms. The archmage was only used to dispel (which was why he was there). The Loremaster was fabulous! He helped delay the Black orcs, helped destroy the savage Orcs, super support character!