2400 GT List

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SteVieBizzLe

2400 GT List

#1 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

Heading to a 100+ man event in the summer, trying to decide whether to take my High Elves or my Ogres. The comp is considerably softer on Ogres, but isn't too bad for Elves:

-Banner of World Dragon/Book of Hoeth/Teclis/ 2 or more Unmounted Frosties are max 1

-Unit with banner of the world dragon cannot exceed 400 points total

General comp that is applicable:

-Max 2 warmachines of the same type, 4 in total
-Max 70 shots in the army
-Lords and heroes combined cannot exceed 50% of your total points (1200)
-Banishment capped at strength 6
-Lore of death reduce to 5 dice max casting

so that's the comp, here is my list:

==Lords==

Prince - 632
-Star Dragon, Heavy Armour, Lion Cloak, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Giant Blade, Other tricksters shard.

Loremaster of Hoeth - 285 (unclear as to whether he gets the undeath sig or not)
-Sword of Anti-Heroes, Dispel Scroll

==Heroes==

Noble - 157
-Halberd, Dragon Armour, Banner of the World Dragon

==Core==

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

6 Silver Helms - 158
-Shields, Banner, Champion

6 Silver Helms - 158

==Special==

23 White Lions - 344
-Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

==Rare==

RBT - 70
RBT - 70

Frostheart Phoenix - 240

Army Total: 2399

Thoughts, comments, tips?
Andros123

Re: 2400 GT List

#2 Post by Andros123 »

1. Why do you have the banner of the world dragon on your BSB?

2. Why the giant blade on the prince? I think it is a better investment to give him a 4+ ward, so he can live long enough to utilize the other tricksters shard.

3. Loremaster without any protection? Can't you find 15 points somewhere in the list for that shield of the merwyrm?

Otherwise I think it looks good :). Any specific reason you picked the loremaster over a lvl. 4 high, which is the usual go to guy in this type of list?

Personally if it was me, I think I would be looking at Alarielle + light council (3 light spells, one high spell), banner of the world dragon, Alith Anar, white lions, banner of avelorn, silver helm darts and 4 bolt throwers.
You cast timewarp every turn (because everyone will try to dispel banishment) and your white lions basically can charge the same distance as a dragon, when alith is there with them ;).
SteVieBizzLe

#3 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

1) He has the banner because I'm an idiot, basically put it on him thinking that my lions would be more than 400 points of they had it, which they wont be. Will change that.

2) Giant blade Dragon prince is like the stock build in our Meta, makes the model dish out 10 S7 Attacks, 4+ ward or not I think he dies just as easy and the prince is only really the tax to get the dragon anyway.

3) Probably will be able to get him the Merwyrn once I change the BSB.

I picked the loremaster as no one really runs him, I fancy something different, plus the list is designed to be aggressive so a soft Archmage on the front lines doesn't feel like a good idea.

Alarielle is fairly tempting, not sure about light council though, being capped at S6 means its value isn't as good. Plus the comp prevents me from having 4 RBT's otherwise I would :)

New List:

==Lords==

Prince - 632
-Star Dragon, Heavy Armour, Lion Cloak, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Giant Blade, Other tricksters shard.

Archmage - 290 (lets try him)
-Lvl 4 Lore of High, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll

==Heroes==

Noble - 130
-Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, Battle Standard Bearer

==Core==

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

6 Silver Helms - 158

6 Silver Helms - 158

==Special==

22 White Lions - 366
-Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon

==Rare==

RBT - 70
RBT - 70

Frostheart Phoenix - 240

Army Total: 2399
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

Is the 400pt cap for the unit holding the banner or inclusive of characters, etc in said unit?
Andros123

#5 Post by Andros123 »

What is the rationale behind 3xreavers with spears and bows over a unit of archers? Especially now that you also are running silver helm darts.
It just seems that your list can do with a bit more shooting to clear chaff and other shooting units, that otherwise could threaten the dragon.

If you were to use the loremaster, you could consider this build: Shield of the merwyrm, sword of might / ogre blade, gem of sunfire + arcane item. I can't tell you how many times that gem of sunfire has done tremendous work. Searing doom wounds dragon on 2+ now. A boosted fireball is a downright disaster for a wood elf player, when you activate the gem of sunfire. Or just fireballs for taking out warmachines. Remember you can choose to activate it, after to hit rolls.
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

SteVieBizzLe wrote: 2) Giant blade Dragon prince is like the stock build in our Meta, makes the model dish out 10 S7 Attacks, 4+ ward or not I think he dies just as easy and the prince is only really the tax to get the dragon anyway.
Then a Star Lance is better investment, as you expect your prince to die anyways. You know if you go Star Lance, Talisman of Preservation, TOTS, Enchanted Shield -> you get 2+/4++ which is decent enough for your prince to survive.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SteVieBizzLe

#7 Post by SteVieBizzLe »

@John - The cap is for the unit itself, trying to police the unit+additional characters would be almost impossible.

@Andros - The 3 reaver units let me stay very quick and mobile, I want the list to be fast and aggressive, archers don't quite fit that mould. Chaff not too much of an issue as my main fighters, the dragon and frostie fly anyway. Also I love the idea of Gem of Sunfire on the Loremaster, going to have to try that one.

@pk - You make a great point, amendments have been made below.

Current tweak:

==Lords==

Prince - 634
-Star Dragon, Heavy Armour, Halberd, Enchanted Shield, Star Lance, Talisman of Preservation, Other Tricksters Shard

Loremaster of Hoeth - 310
-Sword of Might, Shield of Merwyrm, Gem of Sunfire, Dispel Scroll

==Heroes==

Noble - 107
-Battle Standard Bearer, Halberd, Dragon Armour

==Core==

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 95
-Bows, Musician

6 Silver Helms - 158

6 Silver Helms - 158

==Special==

22 White Lions - 366
-Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon

==Rare==

RBT - 70
RBT - 70

Frostheart Phoenix - 240

Army Total: 2398
qwe50

#8 Post by qwe50 »

Are you set on the dragon ?

I don't like it and the rules still allow for 2 x cannons so i think a siver star would be better

How about something like a

Prince @ 271
Giant blade, dawnstone, dragon helm,
Barded elven steed, heavy armour, shield.

Noble @ 139
Starlance, other trickster, enchanted shield
Barded elven steed, heavy armour.

Noble @ 172
Banner of the World Dragon noble on horse
Barded elven steed, heavy armour, shield, lance.

Archmage (high) @ 290
L4, Scroll and talisman of preservation.

3x 5 x Ellyrian Reavers @ (85) 255
bows.

15 x Silver Helms @ 365
Shields, Banner, Champion

26 White Lions @ 393
with standard and Razer banner.

Great eagle @ 50

Flame phoenix @ 225

Frostheart Phoenix @ 240

2400p

a few Words
Prince and heroes goes with the helms. Mage is chosen over loremaster - he dispell better and because high magic add the list well. (fiery help alot e.g against large units, unforging can remove opponents items, walk is great with helms and phoenixes, there is also a heal) He goes with the lions, he only need one spell off to have 3+ Ward. Keep trickster close to the Prince to add if up against opponent with Ward. Razer banner on the lions - they are there to kick armour, you have both big flyers.
This is just a much better list in my oppinion.
Love making army lists
Don't believe MSU
PGP

#9 Post by PGP »

Qwe's list is much better, for the ultimate cheeseness I'd cut the flame phoenix and take bolters to the max. Also movement banner might be better idea than razr banner.

You really need armour of silvered steel for bsb (e.g two lions and gem), also dragon helm+shield might be a better combo than halberd and enc.shield. You could also use lion cloak for prince, luckstone (+aoss) for bsb and crown of alc. For loremaster.
pk-ng

#10 Post by pk-ng »

I personally would do some minor gear change.

Drop Halberd from the Prince as you can't use shield with halberd
Give Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Charmed Shield, Dragon Armour, Halberd to your BSB. At least he's doing something than giving re-rolls. Can you and if you get into an bad situations PoS can save you.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support