Preferred Options for BSB?

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Razzy Mac

Preferred Options for BSB?

#1 Post by Razzy Mac »

Hey all, just bought my new Noble kit, planning to make a BSB outta there, but the question is what to make! I've obviously picked up that a BSB is almost essential these days, but how do you guys run yours? Mounted, on foot, what type of magic items, etc.

I was just gonna have him go on foot because most of my army is infantry based, but is it worth throwing him on a mount anyway, and sticking him with an infantry block, just for the extra armour save? Or is the +1 save negated by the loss of Look Out Sir?

Currently I don't have any big cav units to put him in, I've got 35 spearmen (I might split them into two units), 6 DPs (probably not enough protection here) plus some small units of archers and SMs. Planning on picking up around 20 PG soon and chucking him in with them, kitting him out for survival and I plan for that to be the main anvil of my army, along with either two medium sized spear units or one large one.

With all that in mind any advice you could give me to help me build my fledgling force would be great!
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
Mr. Lucifer

Re: Preferred Options for BSB?

#2 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

I like them on foot too and ignore so i tend to run them with Armour of Caledor for a quick 2+/6++ .

Mounted i like Dragon armour, enchanted shield, mounted, barding, dawnstone ... This gives you 1+ rerollable/6++
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
Galdor

#3 Post by Galdor »

I usually run him/her on foot as either:

1.Reaver bow + potion of strength + halberd + heavy armour + charmed shield

2.Sword of might+ shield of Merwyrm +golden crown+heavy armour.

Option 1 is great for some extra help in taking down something tough like a terrorgheist in the shooting phase. However, I would tend to avoid combat in most cases with him/her.

The second build is quite defensive and gives him/her a 4+ parry save but some re rollable S5 attacks. Golden crown is also handy I find. Another option is to exchange sword of might for something like sword of anti heroes if your opponents like lots of characters :wink:
Razzy Mac

#4 Post by Razzy Mac »

Thanks for the responses..
Galdor wrote:I usually run him/her on foot as either:

1.Reaver bow + potion of strength + halberd + heavy armour + charmed shield

2.Sword of might+ shield of Merwyrm +golden crown+heavy armour.

Option 1 is great for some extra help in taking down something tough like a terrorgheist in the shooting phase. However, I would tend to avoid combat in most cases with him/her.

The second build is quite defensive and gives him/her a 4+ parry save but some re rollable S5 attacks. Golden crown is also handy I find. Another option is to exchange sword of might for something like sword of anti heroes if your opponents like lots of characters :wink:
The second option was definitely what I was leaning towards, essentially 3 wounds with a decent ward in combat. I'm still playing relatively low points so hopefully he won't have to deal with anything too powerful..
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
cptcosmic

#5 Post by cptcosmic »

I use him on fully upgraded griffon because reasons 8)

dragon armor
sword of might
enchanted shield
golden crown
TOTS
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

I run mine either mounted, with the Star Lance and Golden Crown, or on foot with the Merwyrm Shield and Blade of Might (an Obsidian Trinket is a nice addition is I go for a PG bodyguard). I've tried using the Reaver Bow, but it didn't convince me.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
srpelicano

#7 Post by srpelicano »

I run mine on foot with sword of might, shield of merwyrm, heavy armor (dragon armor if I have the points) in a unit of white lions. I've had rather good luck with him staying alive and swinging combats in my favor. Never tried a mounted BSB even in my Empire army because I don't run heavy cavalry. I'd rather the banner stay front and center to get the most out of "hold your ground."
Loriel

#8 Post by Loriel »

My usual build for BSB is on foot inside phoenix guard block that protects the flank of my main white lion block.

He has

- Dragon armor
- Fury ring of khaine (for lore attribute)
- Shield of Merwyrm

Sometimes depends on the opponent and my mood I give him crown of atrazar. Main concept is that I try to have the last power dice for quick +1 ward save for the unit as it advances.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

The Merwyrm build works especially well with High Magic in the PG due to Shield of Saphery.
Vonostermann

#10 Post by Vonostermann »

A hint for easy converting of the models giving you more options:

Make a small green stuff pillow behind the saddle and stick in banner so you can pull it out. Thus you have both options on the horse model. I used banner from phoenix guards.

The footman I've just kitted out as BSB since I rarely use nobles on foot not being BSB.

Rabidnid

#11 Post by Rabidnid »

I have 2

Shield of Meryen, golden crown and reaver bow

Armour of destiny, white lion cloak and halberd

I usually run a lvl 4 Beasts so can get S-3 strength from a spell on the reaver.
"Luck is the residue of design"