Arcane's Photo Dump - Unexpected Chimera Project

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

ArcaneSnow

Arcane's Photo Dump - Unexpected Chimera Project

#1 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I've been meaning to start a PLOG about my journey as a High elf player for a while, but never really found time to do so, now that work has died down a bit I finally decided to pull out most of my figures and start to document things down. Hope this is as enjoyable for you guys as it is for me.

A little background about myself.
I started Warhammer in late February of 2014. I'm a major hobbyist and avid board gamer. I jumped into Warhammer because I figured it was the final frontier of table top gaming.. and... I have yet to be proven incorrect. However, unlike the rest of my board game or even just my overall hobby collection, I knew that this game required me to overcome the Triforce of the Warhammer system. Building, Painting, and Playing. At that point.. I thought to myself.. I loved building Gundam models when I was young... Theres no doubt in my mind that playing would be enjoyable since I just love the human interaction of rolling dice together with beers in hand.. but painting.. That was something new to me at the time. Nights and nights past as I sat in front of my computer debating if jumping into this expensive hobby was worth it.. but at the end, the decision was made for me. My regular DnD group which consisted of a long time warhammer player decided to grab a bunch of friends to chip in and buy me the IoB box set and a handful of paints.. After that day... My life was forever changed. In half a years time, I've grown this High Elf army around 8,000 Pts strong, played in a 40 player tournament as came out top 15, and dedicated more time to Warhammer on a regular basis than any other game system in my career.. and I used to be a crazy MTG player..

Some of you may have seen some of my worth on the Monthly challenge pages or even threads asking for color scheme advice, thank you for all the help and support up till this point. I'm sure I'll be relying on you guys a lot more for technical advice and inspiration.

My army is themed after the 3 Kingdoms of the old Dynasty of Asia. If anyone has played the Dynasty Warrior games.. This is what its modeled after. I chose this when I first started Warhammer.. I knew nothing about the fluff at the time and the people that got my into this game told me to just do whatever feels good to me.. So here I am now. Do I regret my choices? maybe a little bit.. but by now.. there's a connection between me and my figures. Without further a due. Here is my army thus far and the start of my Warhammer Fantasy Plog!

Kingdom of Shu. Known for aggression in Speed and Strength. Therefore, SM and Reavers.

Kingdom of Wu. Known for loyalty and Raw Power. Therefore DP and WLs.

Kingdom of Wei. Known for their great tactics through Knowledge and defenses. Therefore Seaguards and PGs.

Somewhere along the way I felt as though I could convert and paint up models better than the GW lineup. This is my Everqueen.

Lastly.. RAINBOW DASH! Just to make my army at least 20% cooler!
Last edited by ArcaneSnow on Tue May 26, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
TheValheru

Re: Arcane's 3 Kingdom Elves Plog

#2 Post by TheValheru »

Regret nothing, they look great!
Avendigo

#3 Post by Avendigo »

I enjoy your approach in terms of colors very much! Allthough it doesn't go along with the GW fluff very much (it somehow can be made though!), its very refreshing and inspiring to see sth different working out so well!
Please show us some closeups on the eagles as well!

What's gonna come up next?
Myth

#4 Post by Myth »

Nice looking army and concept as well. Looking forward for further updates! ;)

PS-You've done all this from February this year!?!?! :shock: Kudos for that!
Asuryan_

#5 Post by Asuryan_ »

WOWWW maaaaan! =D>

Amazing concept and painting, love those 3 realms!! Very inspiring!
Asmodai

#6 Post by Asmodai »

Wow love it. Had the same idea when I started my elves, but was afraid it would lack cohesion, none off it with your Elves. Really looks stunning and diverse!
ArcaneSnow

#7 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Thanks guys! Knew I could always rely on everyone here for support.

The pride and joy of my army and quickly grown into having my flyers. I really should consider buying more models to have a sky themed list.. Sky cutters.. hmm....

Despite having a theme.. when I get to painting I kind of draw colors from everything I love.. so meet Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos.
I'll be working on creating a better base for these 3 birds. It's been on my mind for a while, but haven't found the right know hows to carry out what I want to do yet.

As for the Eagles. Here they are. I painted these up sometime when I first started. Looking back.. I should touch these up since my painting skills have improved a bit.
First thing I need to do is fill up the top gaps with green stuff and repaint that. They could also use a bit of detail work as well.

Lastly. Since Warhammer rules have officially changed to 50% lords I'll be working on putting together a Tyrion model.
Inspirations drawn from Tinman's Tyrion model.
(obviously not as well bashed as his.. but.. that man has got a crap ton of talent that I don't possess. haha)
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
tinman

#8 Post by tinman »

My Canadian brother... You do us proud!! Nice work!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
ArcaneSnow

#9 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Thanks man! Means a lot coming form you.

So.. I've been trying to work on some unit fillers for my phoenix guard and came up with these things.. sadly.. once in a 5x5 formation it looks like crap and doesn't work..
I do not like phoenix guards... when I built the 20 that I have, I didn't know that their stupid capes and halberds would jam into each other.. super annoyed.. sigh.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ptolemy

#10 Post by Ptolemy »

Well now! I'm actually jealous! I've been wanting to do a RT3K army for years but couldn't ever figure a good enough model range to pull it off as GW has nothing that would fit the aesthetic of Han China. I have a Masters in Chinese History and the 3kingdoms period is among my favorites. (note my avatar)

Is your inspiration the story of the era or more the colors of the Dynasty Warriors game?
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
ArcaneSnow

#11 Post by ArcaneSnow »

The inspiration and background behind my army is actually kind of funny.
I'm definitely not as knowledgeable as you in Ancient Chinese history, but I do have a liking for it. When I started Warhammer I knew absolutely nothing about it. I figured this was something like a war game that let me play general by controlling troops. The first though that came to mind at the time was chinese warfare, so the day I picked up the Rulebook from my IoB set was also the day that I bought a new copy of Sun Tsu's Art of War. I've read that book a couple times before, but this time, I read it with a reason! To learn to war. haha *I catch myself being naive like this quite often, but it works and I still remember winning the first 2 games I've ever played with these elves. haha

The inspiration really comes from the fact that I liked the story of RTK and the pop culturally things that have spiraled out from it. I don't actually like the Dynasty warrior games, but the color scheme works well. It's more so books that I've read, animes and dramas that I've seen, and other games that I've played that inspires the army. However.. I didn't realize at the time that Warhammer also had crazy fantasy fluff within itself.. and I'm also a huge sucker for fantasy lore. Now that I've been playing more warhammer, I'm catching myself captivated in the original warhammer fluff more than my initial theme, so I'm just painting by the colors now. To be honest, I still really want to make a proper conversion to create a peach garden oath unit of 3, but couldn't find the right models to do it. Caradryan as Guan Yu? :)
ArcaneSnow

#12 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I've mentioned before that I'm not a big fan of most of the character models in the GW lineup, partially because named models are expensive and partially because I want parts of my army to stand out. So this is what I've been doing lately for my hobby time.

You've met my Everqueen before, but here she is again.

To accompany her is her beloved Tyrion.
With this model.. I did what I can. I'm by no means as good as the other painters or kitbashers out there, but it's all a learning process right?
Image Image

All the models I paint are only partially complete. Need to go back and paint up all the gems and eyes when I find the time and patience to do it.
ArcaneSnow

#13 Post by ArcaneSnow »

After completing them I went on to play around with more characters. I wanted to field Alith Anar and Korhil at some point in my army but once again, I wasn't a big fan of either of the models. Took me a bit of time to find the right models I wanted to use but established on genderswaping both of them. I really like painted female figures a lot more than bulky guy models. Feels like I can do more creative things. Anyways...

Meet Kora, Princess of the White Lion Company.
Image Image

and Alissa, the Shadow Queen.
Image Image
*Don't ask me why she is holding both bow and sword... it was late when I put her together and I wasn't thinking at the time..*

Lastly, the unit fillers that I painted up. Just thought this was kinda cool.
Image Image

Advice on how I can improve and ideas are always welcomed!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

*Don't ask me why she is holding both bow and sword... it was late when I put her together and I wasn't thinking at the time..*
I figured it was just because you wanted her to look like a typical GW model.
ArcaneSnow

#15 Post by ArcaneSnow »

O snap! you're right! haha! I've been staring at the picture in the book with the bow strapped to his back that I didn't even realize the actual model was different!
Well.. that was embarrassing! I just remember my sister seeing that model and asking me... "What.. she's gonna shoot swords with that bow?" totally threw me off.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They're really fond of the sword in one hand, bow in the other pose.

Your sister asks a valid question.
Knight of the Raven

#17 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Romance of the three kingdoms with high elves and Rainbow Dash... It this what happiness tastes like?

These models are so awesome. So, so awesome...

(Kora really needs to wear something though. :lol:)
ArcaneSnow

#18 Post by ArcaneSnow »

haha! Yea... I thought of molding her something to cover up.. but.. i'm definitely not confident in myself that I'll do a good job with it..
Scared. lol!
Knight of the Raven

#19 Post by Knight of the Raven »

So I just watched the trailer for Dynasty Warriors 8 UltraMegaLongName. What with the guys fighting with umbrellas, scrolls and carpets, plus the 'look at me I'm so cool' characters, I understand why you don't like the games, haha.
beencounter

#20 Post by beencounter »

Great concept, cool conversions and a riot of colours, love it.
ArcaneSnow

#21 Post by ArcaneSnow »

haha! Nice. I don't think I've ever even touched a Dynasty game since... Dynasty 2 on Ps1.. or Ps2? don't remember. The actual story behind it though.. now thats a totally different thing and it's so much more interesting. I'm sure Ptolemy can back that statement up as well. =)

Thanks beencounter. I was looking at your plog as well. Your painting style is amazing. Especially when you paint wood grain, it looks super good.
No idea how you do it. lol
ArcaneSnow

#22 Post by ArcaneSnow »

I've been a little behind on some of the detailing work I wanted to do with my army and.. really been playing more than painting for the last couple weeks.
But here is something I just finished. Got bored one day and called out to the local GW to help a friend finish his Empire army, so I stole this wizard model and painted him up.
He's supposed to be the light wizard that sits on top the Luminark of Hysh.
I think enjoy painting empire quite a bit. They have so much more fine details than us..

Over the next short while I'll be working on basing my 3 phoenixes.
I'm thinking... giant wave under the Frostheart
volcano/hill side for the flamespyere
and a giant tree under zapdos.

I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to pull that off... especially since I suck at sculpting... any advice would be appreciated!
ArcaneSnow

#23 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Hopping right on it. Here's the WIP of my first base. Starting with the easiest one. Mountainside for Moltres.
Image Image

This isn't as bad as I imagined..
Nicene

#24 Post by Nicene »

The green and gold phoenix is amazing! My favorite phoenix that I've seen so far (at least in color choices).
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
ArcaneSnow

#25 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Thanks! Working on basing all 3 of them and it's sort of driving me crazy... This project might be a little too much for me to handle.
ArcaneSnow

#26 Post by ArcaneSnow »

And the struggle continues.... This is all too new to me. I've never based with wood chips before. I'm learning that wood chips is really messy...
I've also never really worked with foam and green stuff before... so creating the frosty base is also giving me a head ache... I'm going to have to make up for my shitty sculpting work with half decent painting... this is going to suck... Advice still highly welcomed! haha

Yes... those are marbles at the wave tip.. I wanted a rounder front instead of a sharp water fall.. so... marbles was the best thing I came up with.. not sure if smart or completely crazy.
Loriel

#27 Post by Loriel »

beutifull and inspiring stuff! I loved the double musician and double banner on phoenix guard block
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
ArcaneSnow

#28 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Thanks man!

And the WIP continues. Past couple days have been really productive for me on the WH front. I think I should be able to finish this base by tonight. So far looking pretty damn good.

ArcaneSnow

#29 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Waiting for the glue and paints to dry but my flame base is practically complete. Upload pictures when I finish final touches.

Start up my next base. I'm slowly finding it hard to believe how much time and money I'm putting into these bases... Looks great.. but how am I even going to transport these to and from games? haha

RE.Lee

Re: Arcane's R3K Pic-Heavy-Log.. Currently basing phoenixes.

#30 Post by RE.Lee »

Bases make the models, its something worth investing in, especially if you're looking to get some painting awards. Your work definitely deserves some! =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy