Autumnal Guard

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NexS

Re: Autumnal Guard

#31 Post by NexS »

bolt thrower is lovely! I like the tree, though i'd suggest dropping a few smaller pieces of an orange or different red foliage to make it look more realistic and give it some depth!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
mcmulligan

#32 Post by mcmulligan »

Finally got this guy done, I don't tend to get much painting done in the summer. Being outside most of the time meant I only got to painting him in the last week, when despite the calendar saying summer, it decided to snow for 3 days straight... yay....

Not sure how often he'll see the table, since he is soooo sub-optimal compared to just a normal noble, but he sure is pretty.
sparkytrypod

#33 Post by sparkytrypod »

wow what a great bsb =D>
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
NexS

#34 Post by NexS »

mcmulligan wrote: Not sure how often he'll see the table, since he is soooo sub-optimal compared to just a normal noble, but he sure is pretty.
I wouldn't mind putting him on an eagle chariot as he gives it a 4+ ward save against shooting, doesn't he?

Also, i like the reds and oranges. Again, lovely scheme :)
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
mcmulligan

#35 Post by mcmulligan »

NexS wrote:
mcmulligan wrote: Not sure how often he'll see the table, since he is soooo sub-optimal compared to just a normal noble, but he sure is pretty.
I wouldn't mind putting him on an eagle chariot as he gives it a 4+ ward save against shooting, doesn't he?

Also, i like the reds and oranges. Again, lovely scheme :)
Ya, the whole model gets the 4++ vs shooting attacks. Which is ok.

I just don't like paying 30 points more than a noble, losing an attack, and losing all ability to take mundane equipment options. If you pop him in the chariot though, and give him the reaver bow, it's not a terrible mobile firing platform. Still kind of squishy though...

He does look far better than the BSB on foot model for the nobles though, so I might just suck it up anyway
NexS

#36 Post by NexS »

you could always use him AS a noble. There's nothing stopping you :)
Regards,
Brad
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#37 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's what I do. My Noble BSB just likes leaning on a rock...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
NexS

#38 Post by NexS »

Prince of Spires wrote:That's what I do. My Noble BSB just likes leaning on a rock...

Rod
Captain Nonchalantis
Regards,
Brad
mcmulligan

#39 Post by mcmulligan »

NexS wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:That's what I do. My Noble BSB just likes leaning on a rock...

Rod
Captain Nonchalantis

I think my BSB just inherited a new title.....
mcmulligan

#40 Post by mcmulligan »

Finished the last 5 sisters in my 15 strong unit

John Rainbow

#41 Post by John Rainbow »

Really, really nice work. I love the color scheme. Your blue/red banners really pop too.
Avendigo

#42 Post by Avendigo »

Orange's the new black! Love the effort, you put into individualizing them and the leap of faith you took with this colors! Makes the army really unique in my opinion!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#43 Post by SpellArcher »

All I can do is heap more praise on:

Superb work, lovely warm colours!
mcmulligan

#44 Post by mcmulligan »

Thanks for the compliments!

Shadow warriors are last to go, and will be a sort of transition from the warm colours of the high elves to the cool colours of my lizardmen (or dwarves, I suppose I'm still undecided which army I'm finishing next).

Much darker metal, darker cloaks. Should be a nice change of pace!
mcmulligan

#45 Post by mcmulligan »

Shadow Warriors

Much darker, which makes sense for the model. And my first high elf model that has zero white on them. Shades of dark red and purple, and my standard emeralds and blue fletched arrows (every elf in the army has blue fletched arrows, including the bolt throwers).
mcmulligan

#46 Post by mcmulligan »

Tetto'ekko!

My first lizardman model in over a year. Probably more like 3 years actually. A couple things that are different, for one, I do paint my saurus blue, similar to GW's colour scheme, but all my skinks are green with blue crests. Second, this guy is actually resin, which I hate, and he ended up missing some of the details on the palanquin and the feathers, but nothing too bad, more just irritating. Like those sneaky bubbles that your brush just doesn't seem to reach into.

EagleOfTheForestPath

#47 Post by EagleOfTheForestPath »

Lovely paint job.

About those bubbles, have you tried filling them in with liquid green stuff before painting?
Ulthuan is was a place filled with tall, thin, arrogant people that look younger than they are...
a lot like Hollywood, actually.
mcmulligan

#48 Post by mcmulligan »

EagleOfTheForestPath wrote:Lovely paint job.

About those bubbles, have you tried filling them in with liquid green stuff before painting?
Oh for sure, when I can see them. The unfortunate thing is, when they're flat grey, or even primed, its hard to see them. And really, a lot of the time I find you don't even know they exist until you've done a base coat and there's these mysterious spots that just seemed not to get any paint on them. Then when you try to get to them, you realize they were actually a bubble. These are very small bubbles, like pinpoint, but they still irritate me. Especially since I prime in white, not black, and they stick out pretty vividly.
mcmulligan

#49 Post by mcmulligan »

Some saurus warriors to keep Tetto company.

I'm working on re-basing some of my older Lizardmen too, since I actually started this hobby with the 5th edition set and picked Lizardmen as my army back then (when I was the wee age of 12). Understandbly, those old models need some touching up....
NexS

#50 Post by NexS »

I like your tetto, however I would suggest blending the big feathers' colours a bit. I think it would really make it pop.

Also, perhaps a bit of red in the crown to break up the gold (also, there's alot of yellow and green, so I think a splash of something else could really stand out :) )
Regards,
Brad
mcmulligan

#51 Post by mcmulligan »

A couple more skink characters, and then an absolute monster of a model, the carnosaur.

That's my bashed together skink BSB, since there is no actual kit for that option. I've also bashed a command for a skink unit, since oddly there is no command option in the sprues, aside from a champion (who is barely different than a normal skink)

Made the priest a nice bright orange and the chief a bright red to really pop out of all the green skinks running around.
mcmulligan

#52 Post by mcmulligan »

And for a bit of size comparison, here he is standing next to a skink.

The base is the tie in to all the ruins and jungle bases in the rest of the army. With the carnosaur leaping off a ruined pyramid. The base work adds around 3 inches to the height of the model.

Always such a shame that terrific models like that have such terrible rules...
mcmulligan

#53 Post by mcmulligan »

Finished my first Bastiladon. Laser Dinosaur! Pew Pew!

NexS

#54 Post by NexS »

Nice. Bring the ROAR.

Can I suggest that you might want to change the colour of the claws? Currently, they're the same colour as the shell and I feel they'd stand out more as a different colour :)

Otherwose, nice work. Fishtank plants are the shiz (I do it too)
Regards,
Brad
ArcaneSnow

#55 Post by ArcaneSnow »

O man. All your dinosaurs look super badass!
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
mcmulligan

#56 Post by mcmulligan »

NexS wrote:Nice. Bring the ROAR.

Can I suggest that you might want to change the colour of the claws? Currently, they're the same colour as the shell and I feel they'd stand out more as a different colour :)

Otherwose, nice work. Fishtank plants are the shiz (I do it too)
I'm going to try some really different colouring on the next Bastiladon. I still have one more with a solar engine.

Aquarium plant are the best! I'm looking for some more varieties, since the ones that I grabbed are kind of big, and only fit on the larger bases. So everything on a 40x40 or bigger gets some. But I'd like to find some that are either already smaller, or can be cut down convincingly to fit on the smaller bases, too.
NexS

#57 Post by NexS »

Yeah i picked up a couple bags of assorted plants from a local store. They certainly come in smaller sizes, keep your eyes peeled!
Regards,
Brad
mcmulligan

#58 Post by mcmulligan »

Gor'Rok all done. Not quite as white as GW do it, but I think it ties in better with the army with more blue.

NexS

#59 Post by NexS »

If i can offer a few suggestions..

1. You say it ties in with the army more, which is true. But Gor-Rok is albino. I'd suggest getting a mix of light blue, white, and lots of water to slowly add whiteness to his skin. The scales look like they'd fit nicely.

2. The highlighting seems a little harsh (or for the gold areas, non-existent). Again, watered down highlighting is worth every minute you spend doing it. Watered down silver makes great highlights for bronze, and I'd run a red wash over the shield to dull out the highlights a tad.

3. Mace of Ulamak: I'd grab a light pink, water the crap out of it and get your thin brush to draw flicks of lightness through it, it gives it a marbley look about it :)

Love the base. makes the enormous saurus look even bigger!

If you're interested, my LM plog can be found HERE. My other lizardy friends over there have some great ideas worth stealing!
Regards,
Brad
mcmulligan

#60 Post by mcmulligan »

Newest dino: