Autumnal Guard

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

lost user 1

Autumnal Guard

#1 Post by lost user 1 »

I've been lurking around the boards for awhile, and thought it was time to share my army.

I'm nearly finished my High Elves, they've been my only project for about the last year, and have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000pts painted (or around there anyway, I've never really bothered to cost it out as far as points go, it might be much more!).

I currently only have a few models left to finish painting, a sea helm, a bolt thrower converted from the sky cutter bits, and then a box of sisters/shadow warriors that I haven't really decided what I want to do with, and honestly can't really remember why I bought them....

Anyway, my army is all based on warm colours, mainly red. Wayyyyy back when I started this hobby, all the high elves were displayed in red, and I fell in love with the almost legionary feel to it. The blues are nice, but aside from my frost phoenixes and a spot colour here and there, I really tried to stay away from cool colours.

Here's my most recent model, a sky cutter being pulled by a scarlet macaw.

Last edited by lost user 1 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NexS

Re: Autumnal Guard

#2 Post by NexS »

Is it just me, or are the links broken?
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
lost user 1

#3 Post by lost user 1 »

NexS wrote:Is it just me, or are the links broken?

Should be better now!
Teledor

#4 Post by Teledor »

Yes, and spectacular work!
NexS

#5 Post by NexS »

Woah. That was abusive to my unexpecting eyes! (not in a bad way)
After adjusting to the colours, I think you've got the macaw down fairly well. Maybe I'd make the blue a darker tone, but that's really neither here nor there.
I like your autumnny basing too. very striking. I'm interested to see what you have in store for infantry and cavalry models.
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
endontoddy

#6 Post by endontoddy »

Nice to see such a bold and rich colour-scheme. Would love to see how the rest of your army looks!
richiefuzz

#7 Post by richiefuzz »

Think the colours on that bird are just brilliant. As its so colourful it all seems to work. Great stuff :D
My army plog

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60956
John Rainbow

#8 Post by John Rainbow »

Beautiful work. Nicely done & thanks for sharing.
sparkytrypod

#9 Post by sparkytrypod »

more pictures please!! =D> [-o<
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
lost user 1

#10 Post by lost user 1 »

Thanks for the kind feedback!

I really, really enjoyed that model. I know the rules for it aren't the best (or rather the costing maybe), but from a pure hobbyist point of view, absolutely loved it.

Here's my Sisters of Avelorn. Again, fall colours and a very easy choice to do true flaming bows as opposed to the blue/white ones.

There is a token red haired sister in there, as my daughters are a big fan of Merida from Brave....

This was my first group of female models that I really tried to make a feminine appearance on, including makeup and softer features. Following them was my Alarielle model.

lost user 1

#11 Post by lost user 1 »

And, Alarielle.

Preface... hate finecast. Had to rebuild her staff, and fingers holding the staff, and fill umpteen gaps in her robes where the moldings weren't matching up properly.

She was the last finecast model I hopefully ever have to assemble (I do still have a Gor'rok and Tetto'ekko that have to be painted, otherwise she would be the last one I hope to paint as well).

lost user 1

#12 Post by lost user 1 »

My very seldom used loremaster (big fan of fireballs, this guy....)

lost user 1

#13 Post by lost user 1 »

And my cavalry prince.

Ambrosius

#14 Post by Ambrosius »

Looking good! Thanks for taking the time to post these. I particularly like the bold scheme on the skycutter - that's hard to do well.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
lost user 1

#15 Post by lost user 1 »

And my PG unit filler, an avatar of Asuryan

endontoddy

#16 Post by endontoddy »

Great unit filler! Would be awesome to use it as a flame phoenix (with some appropriate fluff of course ;) )
Nyeave

#17 Post by Nyeave »

I am so going to something like this when I get to do my PG - AND it gives me another excuse to go buy a phoenix aswell :)
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
NexS

#18 Post by NexS »

You have some good ideas here. But i have to point out that the reds are far too saturated - there is so much red, and it's all the same tone.
I suggest, at bare minimum, running a red wash over the red in your prince and phoenix guard. I do see that you've added highlights to the cloaks, but shadows are just as important as (if not - MORE important than) highlights.
:)
Regards,
Brad
lost user 1

#19 Post by lost user 1 »

Thanks for the feedback.

They do look quite saturated, which I think might have at least partly to do with the quality of the picture.

Those cloaks are based on (GW paints) Mephiston Red, then Evil Sunz Scarlet, then a highlight mixing the Scarlet with some orange (which in that pic it looks more pinkish). And they have a wash of Carroburg Crimson.

I'll post a better picture of the cloaks.
lost user 1

#20 Post by lost user 1 »

Magic95Fan

#21 Post by Magic95Fan »

That Skycutter is incredible. You put me to shame!
lost user 1

#22 Post by lost user 1 »

Magic95Fan wrote:That Skycutter is incredible. You put me to shame!
Thanks!

It's my favourite model that I've painted this far. You may not be able to tell in the pics (since the chariot is kind of out of focus vs the bird) but it was my first real attempt at wood grain too, and was really happy with the way that came out.

NexS

#23 Post by NexS »

mcmulligan wrote:Image
It may be to do with the camera's flash or something :/
It's hard to tell off such a small picture though! But i'll take your work for it :P

What's next on the to-do list?
Regards,
Brad
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#24 Post by Ferny »

mcmulligan wrote:

WANT!

Also, I see what NexS means from the big pic, but looks a lot better to my eye in the little pic - solidly darker in the recess...can't tell if it's the photo, the paint or both, but looks good. Love the scheme. Also, kudos on the bird and cutter - both really nicely done, a real centrepiece...I just wish the rules for it were better. I wanna see them dogfight with dwarf copters and beat them into the dust!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
tinman

#25 Post by tinman »

Holy crap that skycutter is awesome!! I love the bright colors. Nice job on the army...
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
lost user 1

#26 Post by lost user 1 »

NexS wrote:
mcmulligan wrote:Image
It may be to do with the camera's flash or something :/
It's hard to tell off such a small picture though! But i'll take your work for it :P

What's next on the to-do list?
I think it actually isn't the camera, but the program I used to "correct" the picture. I switched computers recently and the program I used to use doesn't work on Windows 8, so I had to try a new one. I think the autocorrect over corrected the mid-tones and maybe overemphasized the reds.

Not sure really.

Next, I'm actually doing a small commission for a friend, 13 warlocks. I have to have those done in the next 3 weeks or so.

But as soon as those are done, this guy is my next project.

lost user 1

#27 Post by lost user 1 »

Ferny wrote:
mcmulligan wrote:

WANT!

Also, I see what NexS means from the big pic, but looks a lot better to my eye in the little pic - solidly darker in the recess...can't tell if it's the photo, the paint or both, but looks good. Love the scheme. Also, kudos on the bird and cutter - both really nicely done, a real centrepiece...I just wish the rules for it were better. I wanna see them dogfight with dwarf copters and beat them into the dust!

My thoughts exactly! I love the model so much, that now I'm fielding it just to field it, but I know the points are better spent elsewhere.

The one thing that I've convinced myself of, is that without the bolt thrower (or god forbid mounting a sea helm up there.... shudder), the points aren't THAT bad.

Comparing it to a Tiranoc Chariot, you're paying 25 more points for stronger attacks from the mount (+1S yay!) at a higher weapon skill (+2WS), an extra point of armour, flying (good for higher base movement and for getting over obstacles/intervening units), and an extra crew member. If you look at it that way (and don't conclude that maybe a Tiranoc Chariot is just overpriced to begin with), its not a terrible deal.
Jimmy
Centurion

#28 Post by Jimmy »

Great work here! =D>
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
lost user 1

#29 Post by lost user 1 »

Here's the locks that I just finished for a friend.

There were definitely some challenges. For one, the colour scheme he requested was very dark, greys and blacks all over the place. That made it a challenge to still create good tones and highlights, as well as shadows. I decided to highlight the mane and tail up to a dark blue, which tied in with the glowing blue eyes and blue marks on the flank. The body of the horse I highlighted up to dark grey. The rider themselves I actually fluctuated between a much lighter grey and the grey I ended up using. The lighter greys ended up looking... almost corpse like, so the darker grey was the way to go.

The other challenge was on the bases. Again, a grey wasteland. So for some colour and flair, I added thorn and thistles (actually dried cedar twigs, which are surprisingly spiky), and then dead fall leaves (oregano).

He's happy with them, and I'm glad to be done them and back to the nobler Asur.

lost user 1

#30 Post by lost user 1 »

My converted bolt thrower from the Sky Cutter kit.