WE Enchanted Arrows - how many allowed?

Ask any rules specific questions here
Mandavar

WE Enchanted Arrows - how many allowed?

#1 Post by Mandavar »

Hi!

Are enchanted arrows really enchanted items? I read it that way in the WE-AB, would that mean any type of Arrow is unique in an army?

I have found a statement in an discussion on another board which shows my rule understanding quite well:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... &start=120 (page 5, middle)
... of course the Wood Elf army book lacks full rules. That's why we have a rulebook, so that the designers don't need to repeat the full rules of the game in every army book. When a unit description in an army book says "Frenzy", we don't get the full recitation of the rules for Frenzy. We know that it refers to the Rulebook. By using the label "Enchanted Item" the army book is doing the exact same thing. It is incorporating those provisions of the rulebook that govern Enchanted Items.

When we go to the relevant section of the Rulebook, we find a rules say "Magic items are considered to be unique--you can only have one in your army unless otherwise stated in the magic item's rules." (Rulebook p. 500.) Following this general rule, a specific Arrow can only be taken once in the army unless the item description says otherwise.

Turning then to the item description, we find that there is an exception to the general rule, but it is a limited exception. That limited exception only changes the general rule in order to allow multiple models in the same unit to have the same Arrow. Note the restriction--the models need to be in the same unit. The exception does not allow models in different units to have the same Arrow. Therefore, no repeating the choice across multiple units. "
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

Re: WE Enchanted Arrows - how many allowed?

#2 Post by Domine Nox »

They are unit upgrades that count as magical. They are not pick one and you don't get to pick it again.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

As always, it depends on the exact wording in the WE book.

In general I would say:
- if it lists them specifically as enchanted items then you can have only one per army (so one unit, since the unit as a whole purchases them). Reasoning: only one of each enchanted item is allowed per army as per BRB. Unless a direct exception is given.
- if they are simply a unit upgrade and not counted as a magic item, then multiple units can have them. Reason: it's an optional extra per unit and not a magic item, just like shields on SH would be.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Dalamar

#4 Post by Dalamar »

They are specifically enchanted items with two specific exceptions:
1. Characters may take a second enchanteditem together with arrows
2. An entire unit can be equipped with the same enchanted arrow.

No rule allows the same arrow to be taken on multiple units/characters.
Mandavar

#5 Post by Mandavar »

Dalamar wrote:They are specifically enchanted items with two specific exceptions:
1. Characters may take a second enchanteditem together with arrows
2. An entire unit can be equipped with the same enchanted arrow.

No rule allows the same arrow to be taken on multiple units/characters.
Thank you, that was also my impression.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#6 Post by Domine Nox »

Dalamar wrote:No rule allows the same arrow to be taken on multiple units/characters.
And no rule doesn't. They are even listed on every unit individually. They would not be listed in such a manner if they are limited to be taken once per army.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Dalamar

#7 Post by Dalamar »

Domine Nox wrote:
Dalamar wrote:No rule allows the same arrow to be taken on multiple units/characters.
And no rule doesn't. They are even listed on every unit individually. They would not be listed in such a manner if they are limited to be taken once per army.
Rules for magic items do, somewhere between "unique" and "one per army unless otherwise specified".
I already wrote what situations fall into "otherwise specified"

Option to take magic banners is also listed for each eligible unit individually. It's a shorthand since there's a lot more magic banners (listing all the rulebook and all the army book banners under each unit entry? Imagine the waste of space!) than 5 or 6 enchanted arrow types.
Ptolemy

#8 Post by Ptolemy »

I know of no major tournament or rulespack ruling that each arrow can only appear once.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#9 Post by Domine Nox »

Dalamar wrote:Rules for magic items do, somewhere between "unique" and "one per army unless otherwise specified".
I already wrote what situations fall into "otherwise specified"

Option to take magic banners is also listed for each eligible unit individually. It's a shorthand since there's a lot more magic banners (listing all the rulebook and all the army book banners under each unit entry? Imagine the waste of space!) than 5 or 6 enchanted arrow types.
But the arrows are not magic items. And if it was a matter of space they would have written "Can take an Enchanted Arrow" and directed them to the relevant section rather than listing it with every single unit.

Dalamar

#10 Post by Dalamar »

They are.

The first sentence spells something along the lines of.

"The Enchanted Arrows are Enchanted Items, but you may still take another enchanted item if you take them"

paraphrasing as I don't have the book handy.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#11 Post by Domine Nox »

But that in and of itself presents it as an exception. The Arrows are even located in the equipment and special rules section, not in the magic items section of the army book.

pk-ng

#12 Post by pk-ng »

Mandavar wrote:
... of course the Wood Elf army book lacks full rules. That's why we have a rulebook, so that the designers don't need to repeat the full rules of the game in every army book. When a unit description in an army book says "Frenzy", we don't get the full recitation of the rules for Frenzy.
This is a bad quote considering you do get the full rules in the iBook version.

The interesting part is that it never says that enchanted arrows are unique items when referencing the "enchanted arrows".
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
pk-ng

#13 Post by pk-ng »

Domine Nox wrote:But that in and of itself presents it as an exception. The Arrows are even located in the equipment and special rules section, not in the magic items section of the army book.
There's a problem with this line of thought...you're assuming there is an exception but there's a nothing specifying there is one....
But there's a rule to say one type of enchanted item per army.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#14 Post by Domine Nox »

pk-ng wrote:There's a problem with this line of thought...you're assuming there is an exception but there's a nothing specifying there is one....
And when my unit of 10 all have the same item they are only allowed to have 1 of? You either can only have 1, or you can't only have 1. There is no "You have only have X where X is an arbitrary number assigned by the size of the unit."
Last edited by Domine Nox on Wed May 28, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

NexS

#15 Post by NexS »

does it work in the same way as daemon princes being able to choose gifts in addition to magic items?
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
pk-ng

#16 Post by pk-ng »

Domine Nox wrote:
pk-ng wrote:There's a problem with this line of thought...you're assuming there is an exception but there's a nothing specifying there is one....
And when my unit of 10 all have the same item they are only allowed to have 1 of? You either can only have 1, or you can't only have 1. There is no "You have only have X where X is an arbitrary number assigned by the size of the unit."
"The enitre unit may take one of the follow types of enchanted arrows"
exception given.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
NexS

#17 Post by NexS »

pk-ng wrote:"The enitre unit may take one of the follow types of enchanted arrows"
exception given.
That makes sense :)
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#18 Post by Prince of Spires »

In the end, warhammer has a permissive ruleset. You can only do something if it says somewhere that you can do it. Not saying you can't do something does not mean that you can.

From what I gather so far, enchanted arrows are enchanted items, per their description in the WE armybook. Each enchanted item is unique. So it can only be taken once. WE units have an exception where the unit as a whole counts as taking it once. But this exception only applies to one unit. But that exception does not go so far as to allow multiple units to take the same enchanted item.

So, only 1 of each kind of enchanted arrow.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#19 Post by Ferny »

Surely Asrai will have this topic - have they reached any conclusions?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#20 Post by Domine Nox »

They have no conclusion, but the majority say the arrows are not unique.

Nagashias

#21 Post by Nagashias »

Domine Nox -> I think you're in the same boat as I was in the Shadow Armour. You feel you're right, yet everyone disagree with you so you has to just play with the intepretation everyone else uses :-p.

I like that Wood Elf can't spam enchanted arrows on all units, and they have to decide which units would benefit most from which arrows. SO nice! More variation, thanks!
Keith

#22 Post by Keith »

Ptolemy wrote:I know of no major tournament or rulespack ruling that each arrow can only appear once.
I discussed it with Corey and Jon before crossroads.

Corey is of the mind to allow it, mainly because he wants to, and feel the rules are not clear enough so there!.

Jon was on the fence and decided to rule as Corey did.

This is for Both Crossroads and Unplugged GT.

I think it is a mistake. Either way, a couple of TOs does not a consensus make.
Defender of Ulthuan
Keith

#23 Post by Keith »

People believe that there is no clearcut answer because the enchanted items are already being duplicated(by each model in a unit), so why stop the duplication at 12 models instead of 25?

People do not read the description of how to buy the items for a unit as an exception to the no duplication rule as it is not explicitly stated. I personally feel that the rules that explain how to purchase arrows for a unit ARE a stated exception to the no duplication rule for the purposes of upgrading ONE unit, but there is not a blanket exception that is needed to arm other units with the same arrows.

Either way, it could use an FAQ.
Defender of Ulthuan