Caledor Marches - 750pts v Dwarves

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Taentagel

#1 Post by Taentagel »

Well for the first time this millennium I will be leading the forces of Ulthuan to war.

At the moment I am limited in the amount of models I have available as each is being individually converted to varying degrees. The battle is for 750pts (743), which is all I can raise without spending the points for spending sake.

I will be facing Orcs and Goblins and my friend has a few boxes of goblins and orcs and a lobber. He is much in the same boat as me, having come back to the hobby after a fair few years.

Anyone have comments of the force below?

Mage - Leading the Mountain Guard
Level 2
Khaine's Ring of Fury
Golden Crown of Atrazar

14 Mountain Guard (LSG)
Shields
Full Command

5 Dragon Squires (Reavers)
Bows and Spears
Musician

5 Dragon Princes
Musician
Standard
Lichebone Pennant

Great Eagle
Shredding Talons

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

I hope to use the Guard as a bit of anvil. I feel that in small points games they are worth the use, especially with the limited number of units. The extra rank of re-rollable ASF in combat can only help.

The mage will take High magic and look to spam double soul quench to help soften up the oncoming hordes along with the thrower and the Guard. Hopefully he can get a coupe of spells of and give the unit a 5++.

The Princes will be to flank anything that challenges the anvil or slam into smaller units if he has them.

The eagle will be for drawing the fanatics and the Reavers will go warmachine hunting.

I just fear getting bogged down in a horde of models.
Last edited by Taentagel on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modelling Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60651url]Caledor Rising[/url]
Army Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61967url]Caledor Marches[/url]
Taentagel

Re: Caledor Marches

#2 Post by Taentagel »

Well I am not long back from my first battle with the list above and I am more than a little in shock.

My opponent had the following:

Orc Warboss with Armour of Gork leading 10 orc boyz

Great Orc Shaman - level 4 (We realised his mistake in the Lord allocation, but seeing as we were looking to see how a battle would go and we were more interested in the rules we let it pass)

10 savage orc boyz

20 goblins with short bows.

There are no photo's, but I will summarise what happened.

In my centre I had the mountain guard led by the mage along with the bolt thrower (these faced his goblins), my right flank had the dragon princes (facing the savage orcs) while the left flank had the reavers and the eagle (facing the boyz with the warboss). The orc shaman lurked behind the savage orcs and the gobbos.

For spells, I got hand of glory and swapped tempest for soul quench.
He had; 'ere we go, brain bursta, 'ead butt and something else.

His first turn saw everything shuffle forward. No magic, shooting or combat.

My first turn I charged the dragon princes into the savage orcs and shuffled the rest to accept charges and flanking counters. Magic saw hand of glory give +2WS to the princes. Shooting saw the reavers and thrower (6 shots) fore on the boys dropping 4 causing a panic test and a failure. This in turn panicked the goblins. In combat the dragon princes and horses tore the savage orcs to bits killing all 10.

His second turn saw him rally the two fleeing units. The shaman cast a spell on the dragon princes, wounding one which saved the wound.

My second turn saw the princes charge the shaman, The rest made ready to accept the other units. Magic saw nothing happen. Shooting saw more orc boyz fall on my left flank, but they passed the panic test. IN combat the dragon princes landed nine hits which all bounced on the shaman's thick hide. He failed to hit back, lost on resolution and failed his break test legging it of the table. The princes stayed where they were eyeing up the goblin unit.

His third turn saw the goblins turn to face the princes and the orc boyz do the same exposing their flank, but too far for a charge (21 inches being an unlikely scenario). the goblins fired at the dragon princes but failed to find any chink in their ancient armour.

My third turn (the last) saw the princes charge the goblins and the remainder prepare for charging the boyz. Magic saw the orc boyz be double soul quenched. The first left the warboss on his own and the second cast with IF took a wound from him, armour of gork giving him +3T. The mage lost both levels in the backlash. In a piece of immense skill the bolt thrower took aim with a single bolt and it skewered the orc warboss, slaying him where he stood. In combat the dragon princes dropped 11 goblins for no return wounds and let them run off the table.

So I tabled my opponent for no loss, bar two mage levels.

The dragon princes were awesome, took out the bulk of the army on their own. I was very surprised about how lethal they were. The re-rollable ASF attacks were simply brutal on the charge. Had he charge me with either of the orc units it would have a struggle.

The warboss led boyz running kept him at range for me and the roll of a 6 to wound him at the end with the bolt thrower was very fortunate. I am not sure the dragon princes would have dealt with him as easily.

Next time I do not think it will go as well for me and I am keen to see how the rest of the army does its thing. The reavers did little but fire a few shots and all the eagle did was look cool, but they did threaten that flank enough.
Modelling Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60651url]Caledor Rising[/url]
Army Blog - [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=61967url]Caledor Marches[/url]
Taentagel

Re: Caledor Marches - 1000pts v Dwarfs

#3 Post by Taentagel »

Well, I have a second battle coming up tomorrow night against the new dwarfs book. First battle against them and first outing for my opponent with them, he has recently bough the battleline box.

I'll be taking along:

Heroes
Mage, level 2, Kaine's RIng of Fury & Golden Crown of Atrazar - 155pts (goes with swordmasters)

Core
15 Archers, Standard - 160pts
5 Reavers, with bows and spears, Musician - 105pts

Special
5 Dragon Princes, Standard and Musician, Lichebone Pennant - 180pts
15 Swordmasters, Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon - 275pts

Rare
Eagle, Shredding Talons -55pts
Bolt Thrower - 70pts

All that comes to 1000 on the nose.

I plan to use the reavers and eagle to war machine hunt and then provide rear/flank charge support and screening for the princes and/pr the swordmasters if possible. Archers and bolt thrower will hopefully soften up some units before I launch in the princes to finish them off, their 2 attacks at ws5, s5 with re-rollable ASF do impress me and I know my opponent will be throwing everything at them.

I was considering replacing the swordmasters with white lions, the models I have converted could be used for either (pics coming to my modelling blog soon), but felt the additional attack warranted the swordmasters.

Do people have any comments advice?
Nicene

#4 Post by Nicene »

Awesome result in your first battle!

With 750 points he could have fielded 3 units of 70 goblins and a level 2 wizard! That's what I would do at least. :P

And yeah, Dragon Princes are a very nice unit! Really about the finest heavy cavalry in the game. Watch out for fanatics!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Taentagel

#5 Post by Taentagel »

Not long back from my second battle and below is a short report.

He had:
Runelord with some runes, +1I, +1AS and some others leading 10 Longbeards with MR3 rune banner
20 Thunderers with full command
20 Warriors with full command
Cannon with rune of forging (re-roll misfire I think)

Sorry forgot photo's even though I had my phone all primed.

I set out with my archers on my left flank on a hill, then were my swordmasters and dragon princes in the centre with the rravers and eagle on the right flank along with the bolt thrower on a hill on the right.

Across from me looking at it from my point of view were: thunderers on my left, warriors in the centre and the longbeards on the right with the cannon behind them.

For spells I rolled double hand of gory and selected soul quench to double spam it with the ring.

I vanguarded the reavers up the right flank to threaten, get ready to charge the cannon.

First Turn
He moved everything forward except the cannon which fired at the reavers killing one.
In my turn I charged the longbeards with the reavers and marched the eagle up the right flank. The swordmasters and princes moved forward.
Magic saw the ring soul quench get dispelled, the mage soul quench take down a warrior and hand of glory add +2WS to the reavers. The last two cast with IF, the first threatened my levels and was saved by the banner and the second brought out the small template and a swordmaster failed his ward.
Shooting saw the archers take down a couple of thunderers and the bolt thrower killed a warrior.
In combat, we traded a wound each for a very surprising draw.

Second Turn
The dwarf warriors moved forward.
He shot at my swordmasters with the thunderers and one fell thanks to the ward save, while the cannon ended the eagle's advance.
In combat a reaver fell to the longbeards blows and they ran but could not be caught and the dwarfs barely trundled forward.
My turn saw the swordmasters charge the warriors and the dragon princes charge into the warriors flank, happy the longbeards had been held up sufficiently by the reavers.
No magic.
Shooting saw a few thunderers fall and a longbeard.
In combat the warriors fell to the combined blows to the loss of one swordmaster and the remaining four fled only to be caught by the princes who followed on into the thunderers.

Third Turn
He started by moving up the longbeards.
The cannon killed two more swordmasters.
In combat the dragon princes killed seven for the loss of one of their own and he passed the break test on snake eyes.
In my turn I moved the archers and swordmasters forward. Forgot about the reavers
Magic saw hand of glory on the dragon princes add +2WS. Soul quench killed two longbeards.
Shooting saw the longbeards fall to just two plus the runelord who failed the panic test and ran for the table edge.
In combat the dragon princes proved their worth and won, running down the fleeing thunderers.

Fourth Turn
He failed his rally for his runelord et all and they continue for the table edge. The cannon crew passed their test and shot at the swordmasters killing one more.
In my turn I moved everything the face the cannon/fleeing unit. Reavers continued to run.
Magic saw double soul quench kill of the cannon crew.
Shooting saw the last of the longbeards perish leaving the runelord on his own.

Fifth Turn
It started and ended with his rune lord failing to rally again and leaving the table.

I feel I was lucky again, especially with his runelord's leadership tests.

The combat with the warriors went very well for me, with 22 attacks falling before he could strike back.

An organ gun might have seen a different script and next time there will definitely be one along with a gyro or two I think.

All told I am happy with the units, the dragon princes did well again and the swordmasters did what I wanted, I feel the extra attacks makes a big difference, but with limited run outs so far, I ma sure to be come up against it with them

The redirectors/chaff did their job better than van be expected and the archers plunked away, ticking off wounds about as well as I hoped.

Bring on the next lot I say!
Taentagel

#6 Post by Taentagel »

I will be taking my army out for a long overdue foray against the stunties tomorrow night.

This is what I am taking:

Heroes
Mage
Khaine's Ring of Fury
Golden Crown of Atrazar

Core
10 Archers (Mage skulks here)

5 Silverhelms
Shields
Standard

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows and Spears
Musician

Special
5 Dragon Princes
Champion and Standard

Rare
Eagle
ASF and armour peircing

Bolt Thrower

It goes without saying that the reavers and eagle will go warmachine hunting or rear charge missile troops or hopefully both. The helms will either work as hard chaff or be will be used as a double hammer along with the dragon princes. The thrower and archers will do their best to thin the ranks before the hammer strikes.

ASF and armour piercing on the eagle is to give the re-rolls and remove as much armour save from the crews as possible. Should give a slight edge in combat.

Still contemplating the lore for the mage, first thouight was high for double soul quench, but am now contemplating heavens and metal for their signatures.

Any thoughts on the lore or the list?
Taentagel

Re: Caledor Marches - 750pts v Dwarves

#7 Post by Taentagel »

Option 2:

Heroes
Mage
Level 2
Khaines Ring of Fury
Golden Crown of Atrazar
Eleven Steed

Core
5 Silverhelms
Shields
Standard

5 Reavers
Bows and Spears
Musician

Special
5 Dragon Princes
Standard

5 Swordmasters

Rare
2 Bolt Throwers

Similar plan as above but will ride the mage with one of the cavalry units to give some protection for the obligatory cannon and the reduced range to the enemy will give more lore options.
Taentagel

Re: Caledor Marches - 1000pts v Dwarfs

#8 Post by Taentagel »

This past week managed to get a game against some dwarfs at a 1000pts.

Still vey limited paint on the models, a.k.a., one reaver almost finished, but I think I will start putting pics of some of the conversions on the modelling blog.

Battle Report vs Dwarfs – 1000pts

High Elf List

Heroes
Level 2 Mage (Runs with Swordmasters)
Khaine’s Ring of Fury
Golden Crown of Atrazar

Core
15 Archers

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Bows & Spears
Musician

Special
15 Swordmasters
Full Command
Banner of the World Dragon

5 Dragon Princes
Full Command
Lichebone Pennant

Rare
Great Eagle
Swiftsense

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Dwarf List

Runesmith with 4+ Ward save and +1 wound (Ran in Hammerers)

20 Warriors with great weapons

20 Thunderers

10 Hammerers (had MR3)

Organ Gun

For spells I rolled up Walk Between Worlds and Tempest and swapped WBW for Soul Quench. I am a fan of the double SQ span at low levels.

The first few turns went the same way. I was scared stiff of the organ gun which could level any one of my units in a single turn and he was wary of the charge. With that I picked off his Thunderers with the Archers and Tempest while taking pot shots at the Organ Gun with the Bolt Thrower. He shuffled forward to bring his troops closer and the Thunderers in range.

I used the six bolt shots against the Organ Gun, wounding on 6+ at S4 for 6 shots compared to 5+ on the single S6 shot paid off in three turns as during that time I kept out of range of the OG. The Thunderers claimed 2 Swordmasters only until then.

Not the most exciting of encounters to this point.

Turn 4 was when the real action started and I started the charges. Though to be honest some were not the wisest.

The SM and DP charged the warriors, the DP failing their flank charge with three one’s coming up on the dice. Elsewhere the Reavers front charged the Hammerers and the eagle offered a flank charge.

The Reavers managed one hit which bounced of the thick grudge hardened skin of the dwarf. To an elf they fell below the heavy blows of the Hammerers. The eagle managed a wound but fled. The dwarfs held their ground.

The SM dropped five warriors to the loss of two off their own but the stunties held.

In shooting the Thunderers now reduced to two models fled.

Turn five saw the Hammerers flank charge SM. In the end seven SM fell but they held their own to draw the combat. In my turn I shot the running Thunderers and charged the DP into the exposed front of the Hammerers who had flank charged the SM. Despite a good dose of rubber lance syndrome four Hammerers fell as did four warriors to the loss of a single SM.

Two failed break tests and two successful rundowns later the dwarfs were tabled.

All in all I was happy with the win, but wasted the Reavers on a silly charge and forgot martial prowess on the Swordmasters all the way through as well as the +1 from Lileath’s Blessing, not that the latter made much difference, but the former may well have finished the combat with the warriors a lot quicker.

Next time hopefully I will get Battle Chronicler going for the report. The diagrams will help me at least to see where I should have gone.