Wood Elves Rumours/Speculation?

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sackree

Re: Wood Elves Rumours/Speculation?

#241 Post by Sackree »

Is anyone else annoyed that the most magically inclined elves are the only ones without 4++ caster cav?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#242 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I find it a little bit lazy to incorporate the same unit type in two armies. But Matt Ward is not known for much of a creativity sometimes. I like the models a lot though. I will wait for some confirmation on the rules too. At the moment Sisters are rumoured to have 4++, 2 spells and coming from special. 12" shooting attack with poison as well. I think they will be quite useful. We will see if that is true.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
henrypmiller

#243 Post by henrypmiller »

I guess we have the 4++ infantry in phoenix guard and anointed and the phoenix 1/3 of the time. I'm also hoping wardancers have a standard 4++ as well.
Lord Anathir

#244 Post by Lord Anathir »

Great models.

Looks like EG have shields now!
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
henrypmiller

#245 Post by henrypmiller »

Yeah! they look great! Im speculating LA + shield = 5+. 2A. AP spears.

WS5, S4 would be nice but i'm not convinced.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#246 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Courtesy of Commisar Gin on Warseer (how much is meltabomb btw?)

Sister of the Thorn 5.05 meltabombs
4+ ward
Blackbriar javelin: 12" S,user AR piercing poison.
ASF riders
Fast CAV
Forest Stalker
Poisoned Attacks riders
Deepwood Coven:
Unit is lvl2. Knows LoL shield of Thorns and LoB Curse of Antaheir. +1 to cast per rank of 5. To a mad of +3. Nominate a single model as faster for LOS etc...if miscast D3 wounds no saves of any kind.

And

Wildwood Rangers
2.05 melta bombs
Elf stats boosted WS

ASF
Forest Stalker
Imm to Psy

Guardians of Wildwood: a model in base with a fear or terror causing enemy gets +1A.

GW, Lt Ar
Standard upgrades
Magical Standard up to 5x melta bombs.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#247 Post by Aicanor »

Eternal Guard => High Elf spearmen in disquise. And those stags are... very cute. :D
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#248 Post by Prince of Spires »

I don't even know what a meltabomb is. Why can't he just use skaven slaves as currency, like all other races in warhammer...

There are some seriously nice models in there. And I can definitely see myself getting some for bits / HE models. Though I must say the sisters on stags look ridiculous. It's probably the paintjob and the posing of the models on top. But something about them just doesn't work for me.

I do find it interesting to see that HE went from being the most magical elven race to the least magical one. "Only" access to 9 lores and 1 arcane item (even if it is the best arcane item in the game). Compared to 9 or 10 lores and a unit of mages.

Just an observation, mind. We've got sisters and phoenixes and a loremaster to compensate. And a pretty fun, competitive and versatile book. But interesting to see either way.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#249 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Imagine the white stags painted with red noses :D

Yes, as it was mentioned by Sackree before, it looks kind of strange. I'd expect Swordmasters to have some ability to cast spells in the first place :mrgreen:

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Aicanor
Rainbows

#250 Post by Aicanor »

rdghuizing wrote:I must say the sisters on stags look ridiculous. It's probably the paintjob and the posing of the models on top. But something about them just doesn't work for me.
Manga cute stags with Witch Elf wannabes on top are bound to look strange. ;)
RE.Lee

#251 Post by RE.Lee »

Great models - the eternal guard kit is particularly nice. The sisters look like some kind of fairy, the crossed spears on the backs mimicking tiny wings a bit - I'm not convinced so far. The wild riders on the other hand look great, perhaps its the paintjob. Very exciting release, its been such a long time!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Cold Phoenix

#252 Post by Cold Phoenix »

A Melta Bomb is a small device which produces intense heat when detonated. Usually they are used against tanks or Monsters in 40K. Giving a Character Melta Bombs, costs 2.5 SS.
Shadeseraph

#253 Post by Shadeseraph »

Aicanor wrote:
rdghuizing wrote:I must say the sisters on stags look ridiculous. It's probably the paintjob and the posing of the models on top. But something about them just doesn't work for me.
Manga cute stags with Witch Elf wannabes on top are bound to look strange. ;)
I absolutely thought about Ashitaka's stag when I first saw those models!

Also, I'm guessing the costs are closer to 5.2 MBs and 2.2 MBs, rather than 5.05 and 2.05. Fraccionary costs aren't really that common except for skavens.

Also: Happy, happy happy! Can get Fast Cav mages and still manage to avoid starting a DE army! And with how amazing those new models look, I might as well start a Wood elf army.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#254 Post by Aicanor »

Shadeseraph wrote:I absolutely thought about Ashitaka's stag when I first saw those models.
I am convinced that the sculptor(s) of new WE are also fans. :)

The point cost counts seem probable. It will be one intriquing army no doubt.
Dorian

#255 Post by Dorian »

I'm torn, I thought I'd be hyped for this release as I was Asrai before Asur but clearly my allegiances have changed and all I'm thinking about is a Wood Elf allied force to go with my glittering ranks of High Elves. I'm okay with it.

The new Wild Riders look amazing, very much like what we see in the Orion books. I hope the riders are sculpted to be quite large, like nearly 7ft tall if they were infantry. The fairy warriors though.....it's cool and they look good but they need an everqueen to bring it all together.

The Ranger looks fantastic but I'm sad to see what has become of the Eternal Guard. They'll make amazing Spearmen for high elves but the old metals are just mindblowing and the reason I started Wood Elves. I'll need to scrounge some from the Internet before they become too expensive.

Overall a job well done from GW.
Ramesesis

#256 Post by Ramesesis »

Ah! My heart burst of joy and happiness! Great minis!

And those EG look much more like mine converted from HE spears than the present. So my EG will now be issued with shields and I can use the 16 Dark elf ones that I have.

One box I will buy though,cause they look so awesome.

The WWR looks really good. Maybe I will get a few and mix em with converted white lions.

And my heart is spinning skywards because the Stag riders are on cavalry bases, meaning my Converted wild riders will still be useable, but I will get mre fenrisian wolves and mount all on those, not just the champion. And I got a unit of 10 of those, moma is Winter coming to the foes of Raimie, the lord of Winter and Riftblade of Athel Loren.

But I am lacking funds soo there will be army book and magic cards now, but maybe a unit of those Sisters. Good complement to the Wild Riders I think.
Shadeseraph

#257 Post by Shadeseraph »

On the other side, this means the rumours about dryads being S3 are true, while still costing an arm and a leg. Sad day for the tree ladies.

The Wildwood rangers look fine at that cost. Fear/Terror causing units are plentiful out there. Still, ItP is not exactly the kind of rule I would have liked on a MSU oriented army. Way too many units unable to flee at all, and the conditional prowess means the army is better suited for a defensive playstyle than for a mobile one, as you are dependant on terrain.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#258 Post by Curu Olannon »

Found a few more rumours. I cannot vouch for these though as I don`t know the source. Some of this is already confirmed, which I assume means that the rest are probably fairly accurate. Anyways, take it with a grain of salt:
No more spites for characters as no more kindreds.
Most units can be equipped with magical arrows, allowing to shoot twice, flaming attacks, poisoned, armour piercing -3.
armour piercing for all bows every time.
Special rules for being partially inside of a wood: attack from one more rank, shoot from one more rank, reroll 1s when wounding (only cc as it seems)

4core units (gg, eg(?), Dryads, gladeriderss)
7 special (ranger of deepwood (it seems), scouts, wardancers, treekin, warhawks, wild hunt, new sister unit)
3 rare ( Eagle, treeman, waywatcher)

Treeman ancient is wizard up to level 4!

Stagrider maidens: Movement 9, poisoned attacks, casting unit, Wardsave

ww rangers: itp, asf, special rules in forests, +1 A when fighting against terror/fear causing enemys
Strangle root is still in.

Wild wood rangers? Average elf movement, WS one higher than HE core, average elf strength, toughness, speed; basic number of attacks, leadership of PG.... :mrgreen:
a handfull of slaves
magical banner up to two handfull of slaves with spears.
DHW/GW light armour

magical arrows are ppm and in regions of dhw 3-5 points.

Spells for maidens of thorn are anraheirs curse, shield of thornes
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#259 Post by SpellArcher »

I too have old EG with shields. Not sure they will be a good pick, given what we know so far. 7x4 in a wood maybe?

Overall it's looking decent but only if you go down certain paths.
Shadeseraph

#260 Post by Shadeseraph »

Sackree

#261 Post by Sackree »

Shadeseraph wrote:http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/ ... 1511d6.jpg
http://s98.photobucket.com/user/Commiss ... 8.jpg.html

With BS5, those sisters are looking tastier and tastier
Thanks Shadeseraph

only 25 points for magic banner allowance for wildwood rangers?? thats a bit low for a special unit and combined with T3 AS6+ I just dont ever see them making it to combat.

and 50 points magic banner allowance for the sisters? as well as BS5, they are looking like the stars of this release.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Nyeave

#262 Post by Nyeave »

Shadeseraph wrote:http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l257/ ... 1511d6.jpg
http://s98.photobucket.com/user/Commiss ... 8.jpg.html

With BS5, those sisters are looking tastier and tastier
What I found interesting is that the tactic section about sisters in your 2nd link highly implies that curse of anraheir doesn't treat open terrain as difficult terrain. I know it's nothing close to an official ruling but interesting enough though.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Lord Anathir

#263 Post by Lord Anathir »

I'm guessing thats Adam Troke? His word means nothing when it comes to rules... remember when he wrote the 7th edition High Elf book he said in the WD the lion chariot crew got +2 strength from the axe instead of the correct +1 strength due to mounted.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

Lord Anathir

#264 Post by Lord Anathir »

WWR do not have the 50pt banner space to take razor standard...

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#265 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

What exactly is Forest Stalker rule?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Shadeseraph

#266 Post by Shadeseraph »

Reroll 1s and extra rank in forests, and I think also forest strider.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#267 Post by Prince of Spires »

What I find interesting is that I've seen the first FAQ worthy rules entry for WE already.

Sisters are a lvl2 wizard (so get +2 to cast). Each rank (after the first) gives an additional +1 to cast to a maximum of +3. Is the maximum casting bonus they get then +3 or +5?

I'm guessing forest stalker is the WE races special rule. Which is rumoured to be reroll 1's to wound and a few other bonuses as well when you're in a wood.

I must say, while fluffy, I'm not sure if I like it that the WE special rules (both race and unit) seem to be very wood centered. It can be great if there are lots of woods on the table. But what do you do when your terrain collection only contains 1 wood? Or none? And even if you have multiple woods, there is a decent chance there won't be more then 2 on the table. Which means that not a lot of your army will benefit from the special rules. Also, it can really bias terrain placement when playing with / against WE.

It would have already been better if it had been all / multiple kinds of terrain. Right now, it feel very restricted.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#268 Post by SpellArcher »

Plague Drones only have a 25pt banner and they're in Rare. Do any Core units get one I wonder?

I suspect WWR will need to be MSU or protected by magic. They still look like the go-to combat unit of this book.

It looks like WE still get the free wood and the Acorn is rumoured to be coming back.
Shadeseraph

#269 Post by Shadeseraph »

I believe these rules are going to push forward random terrain generation. Not necessarily fair, but at least both sides can push towards a "third party" point of view.

Also, I've read that Wood Elves may place an additional forest in the battlefield for free, and there is a magic item (an accorn) which supposedly allows moving a forest per turn, or something like this.
Lord Anathir

#270 Post by Lord Anathir »

rdghuizing wrote:What I find interesting is that I've seen the first FAQ worthy rules entry for WE already.

Sisters are a lvl2 wizard (so get +2 to cast). Each rank (after the first) gives an additional +1 to cast to a maximum of +3. Is the maximum casting bonus they get then +3 or +5?

I'm guessing forest stalker is the WE races special rule. Which is rumoured to be reroll 1's to wound and a few other bonuses as well when you're in a wood.

I must say, while fluffy, I'm not sure if I like it that the WE special rules (both race and unit) seem to be very wood centered. It can be great if there are lots of woods on the table. But what do you do when your terrain collection only contains 1 wood? Or none? And even if you have multiple woods, there is a decent chance there won't be more then 2 on the table. Which means that not a lot of your army will benefit from the special rules. Also, it can really bias terrain placement when playing with / against WE.

It would have already been better if it had been all / multiple kinds of terrain. Right now, it feel very restricted.

Rod
Common sense implies its +5 simply because of the wording "each rank".. implying more than one rank.

As for the wood based rules if they have the free wood it can be used/abused, but apart from that its a bonus. I think without the rule at all they'll have enough tools. Having potentially 2 woods where you want can make for some interesting movement options.

---------------------

I can already see the min/maxers going all cav... glade riders (or gg), sisters, wild riders, mounted characters. Not sure how much I like that option being feasible (if it is). I know in my long post I said I was going to go with the stag hammer but cmon who am I kidding lol, I'm going to end up playing them shooty/defensive.