Introduction topic

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kevin48220

Re: Introduction topic

#241 Post by Kevin48220 »

Hiya!

I'm Kevin and I am from Southeastern Michigan.

I have taken the plunge into WFB and found my way to High Elves. I played them in an IOB demo at my GW and had a chance to dig through their book, as well as Dark Elves and Lizardmen. I decided to stop hemming and hawing on which army to build, and trusted fate to provide the correct path. I found a copy of the HE army book at my gaming store, used, and said "That's it."

So here I am! I've picked up a battalion box and a huge lot of stuff from Ebay that is on its way to me now. I'm hoping to have them modeled and painted, and ready to go--sorta--in a few months.

I am new to WFB, but I play 40K (Necrons and Chaos Marines).
Facade19

#242 Post by Facade19 »

Kevin48220 wrote:Hiya!

I'm Kevin and I am from Southeastern Michigan.

I have taken the plunge into WFB and found my way to High Elves. I played them in an IOB demo at my GW and had a chance to dig through their book, as well as Dark Elves and Lizardmen. I decided to stop hemming and hawing on which army to build, and trusted fate to provide the correct path. I found a copy of the HE army book at my gaming store, used, and said "That's it."

So here I am! I've picked up a battalion box and a huge lot of stuff from Ebay that is on its way to me now. I'm hoping to have them modeled and painted, and ready to go--sorta--in a few months.

I am new to WFB, but I play 40K (Necrons and Chaos Marines).
Welcome Kevin to probably one of the greatest places on the intrawebs. I usually do not roam on the Fantasy forums since I sold my HE's way back in 2005. While I absolutely love their fluff, I sold them because to fund my addiction for the Wood Elves - back in 2005 they received their last update and made the switch to them. Still my one true love. But, I definitely think any Elven army is a fantastic choice. So, please post alot here and ask any question you have. This community is very friendly and designed to be the place for veterans and new players to share and grow together. :)

Edit: BTW I play Chaos too for 40k and Dark Eldar.
Ahramir

#243 Post by Ahramir »

Greetings everyone !

I've been lurking around here for a about one year (I'm mainly a skaven player, lurking is an habit), I think it's time to introduce myself by writing some nonsense. I'm French and I've been playing Warhammer for 7-8 years (though I don't play often at all). I have a main force of about 4500 pts skavens... yes, I'm French, I love cheese, so I went for the rats. Yet not that kind of cheese, since I only play friendly games and don't play the Hellpit :p

I began collecting High Elves more than one year ago, and I now own about 4000 pts of these. Of course, Island of Blood made the decision for me, but I think skavens and HElves are great for diversifying playstyles : cavalry, archers, elite units, huge range of magic domains : all the things the rats are lacking for.

As a High elf, I politely despise Chracians (I'm pretty much convinced that those hairy woodcutters are dwarves in disguise) and prefer Caledor or Saphery to represent the fabulous finesse of our martial (and mystic) arts.

I'm not sure I will post a lot here, but if I am to post one thing, it's that I love reading you all : there is a great spirit here (secret santa was really heartwarming to read) and I hope it will last long.
Charles Rampant

#244 Post by Charles Rampant »

Hey all,

I am Charles, from Glasgow in Scotland, and I intend to start playing High Elves in a week or so when I split the IoB set with a friend. I'm a bit of an old hand at Warhammer, having returned from the obligatory beer and girls break in my early twenties, and am totally loving it now. This will be my second WFb army on the go, along with my Tomb Kings which I've been faithfully taking to tournaments in Scotland. Though I love the background and models, the rules for the Tomb Kings (and my inability to make them work for me) have just gotten me down so much that I'm very eager to start a more... functional army.

Hope to see you all in the future. :)
"They won praises that never grow old, the most splendid of sepulchres – not the sepulchre in which their bodies are laid, but where their glory remains eternal in men’s minds, always there on the right occasion to stir others to speech or to action.”
- Pericles’ Funeral Oration, 431BC.
Greymantle

#245 Post by Greymantle »

Hello All,

I'm 26 and I currently live in Manchester in the UK.

I've just placed a rather large order with GW for High Elves which I look forward to discussing tactics and painting tips with you all.

See you around site... !
RedPanda

#246 Post by RedPanda »

Good Evening,

I had been just lurking (without an account) starting right around 2006 (2005 is when I started to get into warhammer). Never had an army, only boxes of unassembled Wood Elves and High Elves back from 6th & 7th & airbrushes. All my friends have moved out of town before we got serious that and we were short on cash.

The closest gaming store to me is the GW store.
The second is that poway store that I forgot the name & GameEmpire.
Dangermouse425

#247 Post by Dangermouse425 »

New member here: New to playing WHFB, long term 40k player. Am going to start High Elves as my first army! Can't wait! :D
lennywinks

#248 Post by lennywinks »

Hey folks!

Name is Eoin and I'm from Dublin in Ireland, but do my gaming in Wicklow (again in Ireland! :) )
Been playing High Elves for a bit now (since October/November probably) but only getting around to signing up the forum now!

I've been using the same 2500 list for a few months now, mainly to keep things the same while I paint up all the models but also to help me with learning how to use High Elves as they are not the easiest army to use!
I'm finding every game I play with them not only a great learning experience but great fun too, most fun playing Warhammer in years!

I've started taking pics of my games since Jan and making battle reports so check out the channel if your interested!
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrLennywinks
Feedback/chat on the army, tactics or general battle report creation advice always welcomed!

Thanks for taking the time to read the wall of text! :)
See ye all around the forum.
Youtube Battle Reports: [url]https://www.youtube.com/user/MrLennywinks[/url]

Our Wargaming Ireland Podcast: [url]http://wargamingireland.podbean.com[/url]
Giladis
The Merlord

#249 Post by Giladis »

Welcome.
Ninjagosplat

#250 Post by Ninjagosplat »

Hi all, a new High elves player here. Have wanted to play them for a while now :) so yeah, I'm Ninjagosplat and my High elves journey starts here. :)
Wilda Greenbough

#251 Post by Wilda Greenbough »

Hello everyone I used to play 5th edition High Elves years ago now and I still have a great many 4th and 5th Edition model figures along with some much older ones. Eventually I purchased the 6th edition books and started to learn the new rules. My one great moment (Ha ha) with 6th Edition was getting my High Elves pasted by UnDead in a 2000 point game at the wargaming club I used to go to. Then life happened and I had a great many family concerns to worry about including looking after my elderly Mum and wargaming was forgotten. All my model figures went into storage boxes and most haven't seen the light of day until now.

Through a chance encounter sometime later an old friend told me about the Isle of Blood set being released and convinced me to buy it which I did. Most of that set is still on the sprues, but at the time I did assemble the Ellyrian Reavers which I thought were marvellous. As for the Shaven they went in the bits box, but all the Elf sprues were carefully packed away in the hope that I might return to wargaming at some future time.

For a while one or two years ago there seemed to be a good many painted Asur regiments for sale on our local auction site here in New Zealand. Having a vague notion that I'd like to put together an Asur colony army based in Araby I bought a part of an army that was being disposed of. The model figures were beautifully painted in yellow and white and were mostly plastic multipart regiment spear-Elves which I like (Yay core troops!) as well as a regiment of Swordmasters. I'd never had Swordmasters in an army of mine before and as I thought they'd be a good fit for my colony army I snapped them up. I bought a couple of really badly painted plastic chariots too and was surprised at the time to discover that one of them was hauled by a pair of huge lions.

My family responsibilities meant that I still couldn't think about playing yet, so while I was waiting I bought a number of 'bits boxes' from folk who were getting out of wargaming and took the opportunity as well to buy various 5th Edition Elf figures that were coming up for sale at surprisingly cheap prices. As a result I now own some really nicely painted 5th Edition character figures that I hadn't been able to afford to buy back when I first started playing 5th Edition.
I like core troops and the old 5th Edition plastics still very much have a place in my heart. When archers with light armor were dropped in 6th Edition I could have cried because I must've owned at least 50 of them. And as for being no longer able to shoot in two ranks......... :(

The way the old 5th Edition spear-Elves looked so resolute and disciplined when ranked up is something I like, so even now I'm always on the look out for them. It's simple to repair broken ones using multipart regiment spare bits and they always paint up nicely. One or two old plastic spear-Elves with damaged backs have become Seaguard with the addition of a bow and quiver which hides the damage nicely.

The biggest shock for me though is the current price of the GW multipart regiments :shock: Now I'm very pleased that I did buy all those second hand Elves because I certainly couldn't afford to buy them new at the present prices in the shops.
I suppose I should be glad too I never bought the huge 7th Edition book and just stayed with the small one that came in the Isle of Blood set. Because what is it now, - 8th Edition? I hope nobody at GW is going to suddenly spring a 9th Edition because I certainly don't want to buy an 8th Edition rulebook only to have to toss it on the stack of obsolete GW rulebooks and armybooks I've got in my wardrobe.

I see the unofficial Araby armybook has been revised for 8th Edition which is excellent and there's new armybooks for Cathay and Nippon as well. I like the idea of building up a new 'colony' Asur army for 8th Edition and with some of the plastic multipart regiments available from Mantic and other makers it's very possible to buy or convert suitable figures cheaply to make up armies for Araby, Cathay and Nippon.

So the 8th Edition rulebook and High Elf armybook are going down on my shopping list, - I only hope I'm not going to regret it (sigh).
[url=http://ironwatch.wordpress.com/][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27484619/Mantic/ironwatch%20signature%20small.png[/img][/url]
Glorfindain

#252 Post by Glorfindain »

Welcome to the forum! By and large i's a great place to ask questions and share gaming exploits.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#253 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The IoB rulebook is the 8th edition one. I'm not sure if the bigger rule book has anything that you NEED that the IoB one does not (I don't have the IoB one).
Wilda Greenbough

#254 Post by Wilda Greenbough »

Oh good, I wasn't sure if it was 7th or 8th Edition. Mind you I'm still looking for where I put my IoB rulebook, - no doubt somewhere I thought was 'safe' at the time.
[url=http://ironwatch.wordpress.com/][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27484619/Mantic/ironwatch%20signature%20small.png[/img][/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#255 Post by Prince of Spires »

The rules sections are the same between the IoB and the big one (even the page numbers match). The only difference is in the fluff and hobby section. Those are missing completely. But it contains everything you need to play the game.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Wilda Greenbough

#256 Post by Wilda Greenbough »

Thanks for that Rob, having not seen the bigger book I wasn't sure what the differences were.
Icarion

#257 Post by Icarion »

Welcome Wilda!
according to bols 9th ed whfb rules will be released this year... so personally i would wait, cus it could be frustrating to buy a book that is "old" after 2 months... just for the case you believe these rumours. ;)
Caledor for life!
Casazzo

#258 Post by Casazzo »

Hello

After reading this forum for some time now i have come to the conclusion that this community is a very active and polite (thx to Swordmaster of Hoeth's good influence i think ;-) ) one, very well worth of doing a proper introduction post :-)

My name is Carsten, and i am a 35 year old pharmacist from the very west end of germany. I ogle with Warhammer Fantasy since around 2000, when i was studying in Berlin, but i did not have the proper funds to really start into that hobby back then. I just bought the starter-box with Bretons and Lizardmen, some paints and tried to do my best, but other than dreaming about big battles full of tactics and fun ...nothing happened :-)

In the years between then and now i occasionally bought a fantasy armybook just for interest, the 40k rulebook (the one with the black border) to get a look at that as well (uh, what a strange and broken ruleset imho) and times and again the high elves army book, because i liked them a lot more than any other army i encountered.

Now, more than a decade later in novemer 2013 a friend of mine and monthly poker-mate asked me to start with the warhammer hobby. You can imagine the smile on my face, and we quickly came to the agreement to buy two IoB-startersets and divide them up. To shorten things up: He never made it further than to cutting a few miniatures from the sprues :-), but i am really fixed up and put an playable army together, which is still growing.

Luckily i found a few other fantasy players in a german tabletop internet database, so i was able to do my first few games and i really do love it. And i am very happy with my choice of army. I already tried playing the big blocks as well as the MSU-style and i have come to love the latter one.

I even enjoy playing the wfb 8th edition, even if i see some rules as badly crafted (wtf is it not possible to break steadfast by attacking from the front and flanking/attacking from the rear? That's just GWs greed for selling more minis imho, but i'll stop ranting :-) ).

Yeah. And finally i arrived in the haven of ulthuan.net, where i found the community with the very same interests :-)

My little family and me:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/886 ... family.jpg
I am the ugly one to the right, before you ask, but i am proud of my little son :-)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#259 Post by Aicanor »

Haha, yes, Swordmaster of Hoeth is the only voice of reason amongst us haughty and conceited Asur. :D Welcome to Ulthuan!
matrim

#260 Post by matrim »

Hi all,

After reading quite a few informative posts here I thought it's time to join officially. I may not be able to offer in depth tactical stuff or battle reports but at least I can thank all the people who share their knowledge here. =D>

I am pretty new to the game, bought IoB set just after new years and being collecting an army since then. And participated in a couple of tourneys. I have been lucky that I haven't lost any worse then 12 - 8 so far, but I'm sure a few 20 - 0 are on my way :mrgreen:

Before I forget, I'm from Auckland, NZ.

Thanks again.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#261 Post by Aicanor »

Welcome and may you have many of those 20-0 game reports to share with the rest of us! :wink:
startreker

#262 Post by startreker »

Hello everyone my name is Chris. I started out playing Tau in 40k before my new wife convinced me to see the light and come over to fantasy as she is a wood elf player. I loved the lore of the high elves so now I just need to figure out how the heck to play them on the table lol.
Icarion

#263 Post by Icarion »

welcome! :)
it is always wonderful when your love also plays warhammer. mine is an evil darkelf ;) but sharing hobbies makes the hobby itself being more fun!
cya around
Caledor for life!
OriginalLadders

#264 Post by OriginalLadders »

Hello all, I'm not exactly new to Warhammer but I've been out of the habit for a while. I'm looking to get back into it, I had a hard time deciding between High Elves, Wood Elves and Dwarfs, so I drew up a list for each and the High Elves turned out to be the cheapest to buy the models for. That and the White Lions having characteristics of all three swung me over to the Asur.
Elandhir

#265 Post by Elandhir »

Hello all, spent a fair bit of time lurking these forums, so finally joined :D . started back in 5th edition with a woodelf army and ended up with a Dwarf army in 8th edition. played very little this edition. havent had a game in couple of years. been playing bloodbowl recently. will be starting back up with High elves, cant wait. :) have to say some of these new high elve kits are very impressive want to get my hands on a phoenix!

cheers. :)
aquietfrog

#266 Post by aquietfrog »

Hello everyone. I am Phil, from the Philippines. I have already made a few posts here and there but I haven't introduced myself. I started Warhammer only this March. I took up High Elves because it had the cheapest deal with the IoB set. I have had a lot of fun with the Asur since then, though to this day I have only one win under my belt, but every battle I played was hard fought. Since then, I have been reading a lot about the rules and tactics so that I could compensate my lack of experience with theory and mathhammer.
ArhangelusM

#267 Post by ArhangelusM »

Hello to all, my name is Franjo and I come from Zagreb, Croatia! :)

Been playing High elves since I started the hobby 12 years ago, was even a forum member but have been inactive for a couple of years, so I decided to start anew. :mrgreen:

Btw, in topic about ETC list, the one from team Croatia with double Loremasters is mine... :wink:
The 9th Age team member:
- former Vampire Covenant Army Book Committee member
- Highborn Elves Army Book Committee member
Casazzo

#268 Post by Casazzo »

Welcome Franjo. Nice to have you with us. We discussed your list controversly after it being posted. Is it possible maybe to get one ore more battreps from this list?
Menetherin

#269 Post by Menetherin »

Hi all,

thought I would chuck a few words down and say hi to the community. Im a 28 old avid geek that loves gaming in all its forms, to fund my addiction I work full time as a logistics manager and live with my wonderful wife who partakes in this hobby with me from time to time.

Just had a year out of warhammer after playing chaos and dominating my local meta I wanted a fresh challenge and high elves have always had a place in my heart as my first army as a young teen.

Hope to speak to a few of you in the future, and using your guys large amounts of knowledge on the asur :)
zeronyne

#270 Post by zeronyne »

Hello,

I'm a 40k player and fledgling fantasy person from the outskirts of Chicago. I hope to observe and learn. Thanks.