Teledor's Torpid Trail of Painting

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Teledor

Teledor's Torpid Trail of Painting

#1 Post by Teledor »

So I am starting a PLOG (I'm scared) for a couple reasons:

1) To get motivated to paint my mostly unpainted army, not to anything of super spectacular golden demon level of painting, but a bit better than table top.

2) To give myself a log of improvements.

3) Contribute more to Ulthuan and maybe pick up some pointers, since there will be techniques that I don't yet try, that I'd like to give a shot - e.g. wet blending.

Here's the lot.

There's a lot of black and some base coating. not a whole lot is actually completed. So I am hoping to get myself in gear with this blog.

Anyways, a little fluff. My army typically runs a Cav Prince list and variants depending on games and inkling. There may be some battle reports sprinkled through here. But the focus is primarily the painting.

The Legio Victoria

The Legio Victoria is a High Elf expeditionary force full of noble Elves that strive to maintain, and perhaps rebuild, the glorious empire that the High Elves once knew. The Legio Victrix was founded some 100 years ago (relatively recent for an elf mind you!) by the Prince Teledor Rylinn-Midor of Caledor and has been defending the colonies at the behest of the Phoenix King ever since its creation.
Teledor Rylinn-Midor grew up along the craggy shores of the Dragon Spine in Caledor. With what little open space his family owned; Teledor studied cavalry tactics and horsemanship. Like many young noblemen of Caledor, he strived to become a Dragon Prince, joining as soon as he was able.
However, the youngest soldiers were not seen as hardened enough to be entrusted with the defense of the homeland. Like many other young soldiers, Teledor earned his mettle defending the colonies. It was at the famed Battle of the Gates of Calith against the Skaven that Teledor’s exceptional martial skills came to be seen. With bravery bordering on recklessness, he lead a crucial charge to allow enough time for the bolt throwers to impale the remaining Hell Pits and the mages to burn the rat hordes. At the battle, he met two of his most trusted lieutenants – the Archmage Faelar Reithel of Saphery and the Noble Angrod Elendil of Yvresse.
Faelar Reithel’s magical acuity bloomed later than most Elves. Up until his talents were discovered, he was considered a weakling barely capable of joining the militia. Listless for so many years without a skill, Faelar poured all his energy into learning the magical arts. Obsessed to the point that troubled his mentors, Faelar moved up through the ranks of apprenticed mages with startling speed. Eventually being trained by some of White Tower’s greatest mages, Faelar could wield magic with the ease needed of a High Elf mage ready to see battle. Fatefully his first post was the Gates of Calith. With Mage Lord Torinubar assassinated prior to the battle, Faelar was left to step into the Mage Lord’s role. His final cast of Fiery Convocation provided the momentum to stem vermin tide.
Angrod Elendil’s tragic story begins with the Invasion of Grom and the siege of Tor Yvresse. During the siege his parents were among the population slain by the greenskin savages. As an orphan, Angrod joined the only family left to young orphaned High Elves, the Ulthuan Militia. There he learned the skills necessary to defend his homeland from future invasions. Angrod was soon noticed for his calm demeanor and unwavering loyalty to his legion. He spent time with his other soldiers keeping their spirits high with a song or a story. In battle, his fellow soldiers knew as long as Angrod stood the battle wasn’t lost.
Angrod too was eventually shipped to the Gates of Calith, there to provide the morale for the inexperienced soldiers. As battle for the Gates unfolded, the force’s battle standard bearer was slain by a Skaven assassin hidden amongst the vermin horde. With fear rapidly spreading through the ranks at the sight of the fallen battle standard, Angrod rushed forward cleaving rats as he struggled to reach the battle standard. Upon raising the standard, Angrod turned to face his wavering soldiers and let a primal yell leave his burning lungs. The lines regained their nerve and held firm, just as a charging cavalry unit, led by Teledor, thundered through to clear a path for Angrod and the battle standard to rejoin the lines providing the time needed for the bolt throwers and mages.
A brotherhood forged in battle, Teledor formed the Legio Victoria with Faelar and Angrod where they soon found themselves in colonies all over the world, fighting skirmishes wherever the Phoenix King sent them. For years they fought, until the battles became fewer and far between. An unheralded age of peace had dawned and the Legio Victoria found themselves struggling to keep their martial skills perfectly honed for a day when the peace would finally break. A day Teledor knew would come too soon.
Last edited by Teledor on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teledor

Re: Teledor's Torpid Trail of Painting

#2 Post by Teledor »

Completed Units Characters

Archmage

Frosty

Reavers Group #1

Last edited by Teledor on Fri May 02, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Its seems you've got quite a lot of painting already done but keeping a painting blog is always a good idea to stay motivated. That and the painting pledges really make one speed up finishing an army! Looking forward to seeing how this goes - good luck! :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#4 Post by Ferny »

Teledor wrote:So I am starting a PLOG (I'm scared) for a couple reasons:

1) To get motivated to paint my mostly unpainted army, not to anything of super spectacular golden demon level of painting, but a bit better than table top.

2) To give myself a log of improvements.

3) Contribute more to Ulthuan and maybe pick up some pointers, since there will be techniques that I don't yet try, that I'd like to give a shot - e.g. wet blending.
I should do the same (except I do so little painting and even my kit-bashing is on the back-seat this year). But I'll watch this fledgeling PLOG for inspiration :).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Teledor

#5 Post by Teledor »

Some Sisters WIP

tinman

#6 Post by tinman »

Really nice start! =D> well done...
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Wolfroar

#7 Post by Wolfroar »

Your painting skills are gvery good. =D>

Keeping an eye on the progress of the averlorn sisters as I am about to start painting a unit myself. I like the firebow better than the blue version shown in the army book. Personally I am thinking to paint the bows ghostly green, similar colour as the undead army in lotr. Anyway, keep it up!
High Elf painting log [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39275[/url]
Peepster1976

#8 Post by Peepster1976 »

Looks very good!! Keep them posts coming!!
Grtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Tzineris

#9 Post by Tzineris »

Neat and tidy!! Smooth and clean!! You are in the right way!! Great work!!! Beautiful paintscheme!! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#10 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A plog is a great way to keep motivated, especially here, with so many awesome people around to comment and such.
I need to paint some more High Elf stuff to get people back to my blog I think...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Jimmy
Centurion

#11 Post by Jimmy »

I'm loving the WIP sisters at the moment, can you take a close up of their faces when you've finished?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Teledor

#12 Post by Teledor »

I've got some 95% done WIPs to post. I'll take a close up pic of the faces, but they look better at a distance. I'll get to those in a bit.
Teledor

#13 Post by Teledor »

A few of the best faces. The eyes are a bit jaundiced... I need to use bleached bone to make them a bit brighter.

Overall
Front-

Back-

Unit-

95% there. some gems to do and correct the basing.
solith

#14 Post by solith »

Wow, those Sisters are reallygood. I love how the blonde hair, the red cloaks and the firebows combine - it's a really striking combination!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
NiallCampbell

#15 Post by NiallCampbell »

Really nice work! Keep it up, you have quite a collection to get through!
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
Teledor

#16 Post by Teledor »

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys. I definitely have a ways to go!
John Rainbow

#17 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice work Teledor!
NexS

#18 Post by NexS »

Those sisters are fairly average....

Psych. They're good as!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Gandalf_82

#19 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Great work Telador.

What reds have you used on those cloaks? They look fantastic. :)
Teledor

#20 Post by Teledor »

1) Mechrite Red (Old GW Foundation) - I think it was two layers.

2) Scab Red - another layer or two depending on coverage.

3) Badab Black wash.

4) Red Gore - layer avoiding the deepest recesses where the ink settled.

5) 50:50 Red Gore & Blood Red - layer leaving portions of the red gore layer visible.

6) Blood red - layer the highest points.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#21 Post by Ferny »

Gonna copy that - good job and lovely clear photos. Like the hair, the bows, the cloak, the colour. And your faces too, though I'll do a simple baselayer, wash, drybrush if I can be arsed - faces are hard!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Gandalf_82

#22 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Yeah likewise, definitely be giving that a try myself at some point.
Knight of the Raven

#23 Post by Knight of the Raven »

That color scheme makes the sisters look like they just came back from hell - after conquering it through punching in the face everything they couldn't turn into a pin cushion. =D>
PeNo
Vaul Incarnate

#24 Post by PeNo »

Teledor wrote:but a bit better than table top.
Dont sell yourself short mate, thats some really good stuff :D I liked the blonde colour of the sisters hair, I personally have trouble to get a natural feel to blond hair, its hard to get a good balance of brown, yellow and white to get a natural look.
My High Elves painting log

"Hey ya, its me! Imoen!"
-Imoen
Teledor

#25 Post by Teledor »

Update - TANGENT

Test Ogre Scheme Final.

A few things I would change, but not a whole lot. Might get some weathering powder to add some strategic rust on some steel pieces. Not sure though. I think I am going to base a little bit different. Go with much darker soil instead of the natural sand washed with devlan mud look. Also picked up some coarser grit that I mixed with the sand I have to give some more texture as seen below.

EAGLES!! Ok. Not that exciting. Really kind of plowed my way through these in a few hours to give them a base coat and a wash. Their eagles, they die a quick and often unceremonious death. I don't really feel a great need to put inordinate amount of time in them. Also, I loath my GEs because I put them together early on in my hobbying and used an epoxy to put them together, since CA doesn't always bond well with pewter, and the epoxy ruined some of the details on one. Oh well.

The bases are what I was really wanting to play with, or better yet, the different basing sand mix I was using. A bit better I think than the straight sand. Pictures make it hard to see, but the sand mix looks better. so I am happy with it.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#26 Post by Aicanor »

I like that ogre. The blue suits it, who would have thought... :D I think rust (either weathering powder or just careful application of watered down blazing orange) would be a good addition (just a little around the rivets to offset the blue). Well done!
Eagles - exactly what you say. Good for tabletop and that is all that matters. Those models themselves are not so great.
Teledor

#27 Post by Teledor »

I'm assuming you mean the rivets on the steel? I was also thinking of doing some verdigris around the rivets on the gut plate, but I have no clue how I'd come up with a color or wash for that. Any thoughts Aicanor? Maybe a wash of a blue green?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#28 Post by Aicanor »

Yes, the simplest way is wash of hawk turquoise or equivalent. Moss green (catachan) and very little white can be mixed in.
Teledor

#29 Post by Teledor »

Questions questions all these questions... Ok not really, just one more. I've never made my own washes, so what kind of ratio of paint to water should it be? I'll experiment, is just like a guesstimate. Also, would Lahmian Medium be the same as using water to make a wash, or better?

I'm a bit out my league here.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#30 Post by Aicanor »

That is a difficult question. Try 1:1 for this, but make sure the brush is not too wet. That way you'll be able to adjust the colour in more layers and not overdo the first. Just go from there and experiment. Finishing touches of rust can be also applied by stippling (similar to drybrushing when it comes to paint) to create a texture.
Lahmian medium (or any glaze medium) can be good for this, it is thicker than water so you have more control. It also stays wet longer (good for blending more colours on the model). If you have a medium, try both, but water is usually enough.