Caradryal's Host Short rep vs lizzies

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

teep

Re: Caradryal's Host - Cavalry or not?

#61 Post by teep »

Hey there :) I'm quite interested to see how that new list/play style will work out for you
and I agree with most of the changes you've made, but there a some things that I would
approach differently.

Whilst I understand that having a big and rather static block of archers hanging back while
most of your force is speeding towards the action does not come off as too appealing, I'd
wouldn't dare to bring squishy reavers as the only shooters of my army.

Of course I don't know anything about your meta nor the types of games you are planning
to take this list to, but I think cutting down a bit on your cav chaff for archers and re-replacing
the chariots with Rbts would be a good idea (for going "combined arms", anyway).

As for magic, I think one should mainly look at High as something that complements ones list -
the ward save thingy is nice, but I wouldn't rely on it nor see it as something making the lore
worth taking. In your case, it could be a welcome horde killer mechanism.
But since you are going DeathBus, Life seems a superior choice since your chars are probably best
off alive (and kicking of course!).
Caradryal

Re: The Warlock of the Black Tower - List Idea

#62 Post by Caradryal »

Thank you for your thoughts. I think you may be correct on the shooting issues and I had the same fears myself. My thoughts were that I had enough mobile chaff to see off other armies chaff which would somewhat eliminate the need for shooting.

How about something like the following?

Lords

Prince
Giant blade, Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Barded Steed, Dawnstone,

Archmage (Life)
Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll, Elven Steed, Khaines Ring of Fury

Heroes

Noble
BSB, Star Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Steed, Golden Crown of Atrazar, GW

Core

3 x 5 Reavers
Bows, Musician

5 Silver Helms
Shields, Musician

21 Archers
Musician

Special

12 Dragon Princes
FC, Banner of the World Dragon, Potion of Strength

18 x White Lions
SB, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame

Rare

2 x Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers

Frostheart Phoenix

Great Eagle

2499 pts

The changes i have made

1) Changed to life magic. I agree on high being somewhat weak as a lore and i prefer life. I don't have to take throne of vines as one of my spells with life magic as i already have the miscast protection from the banner and T5 elves are pretty good anyway :D
2) Dropped a unit of helms and reavers for a large archer block. This not only gives me a half decent firebase but also gives me extra bodies on the field.
3) Dropped the ogre blade on the Drakemaster to allow me to give the Archmage Khaines Ring of Fury. I felt the list needed a reliable magic missile.
4) I changed the Banner of Swiftness for the Banner of Eternal Flame. The lack of flaming attacks in the list had me concerned and we all know lions make useful monster killers when combined with the flaming banner.
5) With the remaining points I gave the Drakemaster the Potion of Strength. It doesn't have the longevity of the ogre blade through multiple rounds of combat but when charging heavily armoured troops/cavalry etc the str 8 hits could make all the difference.

Thanks for reading

Any further comments are appreciated

Caradryal
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
teep

#63 Post by teep »

Looks like a fun list to play :D I'd personally chip some points of here and there
(maybe dropping the eagle, and/or running a naked Drakemaster) to beef up the WL,
but other than that, the list looks great.
Ah, and Drakedudes are only allowed magic waepons and armour, so no lotions and
potions for these guys I'm afraid ;)
Caradryal

#64 Post by Caradryal »

teep wrote:Looks like a fun list to play :D I'd personally chip some points of here and there
(maybe dropping the eagle, and/or running a naked Drakemaster) to beef up the WL,
but other than that, the list looks great.
Ah, and Drakedudes are only allowed magic waepons and armour, so no lotions and
potions for these guys I'm afraid ;)
Ahh right you are! Still looking at it through 7th edition eyes :oops:

how to spend those 10 skavenslaves?

I could potentially drop the eagle and get a unit of 5 Sister's but i'm not sure how useful they would be.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

Caradryal

#65 Post by Caradryal »

Few changes :P

Lords

Prince

Archmage (Life)

Heroes

Noble
BSB, Star Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Steed, Golden Crown of Atrazar, GW

Core

2 x 5 Reavers
Bows, Musician

5 Reavers
Musician

5 Silver Helms
Shields, Musician

21 Archers
Musician

Special

12 Dragon Princes
FC, Banner of the World Dragon, Ogre Blade

21 x White Lions

Rare

2 x Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers

Frostheart Phoenix

2499 pts
Last edited by Caradryal on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caradryal

#66 Post by Caradryal »

Hey Folks

Had the first test of this new list today against Coven of Light Empire. Firstly i would like to apologise for my lack of a detailed report as I failed to take extensive notes during this quick game. I also cannot use battle chronicler for my report today as I cannot install it on my macbook :? . I have however labelled the first image to clarify what units are what. I also made it slightly larger for ease.

His list was as follows

Arch Lector on War Altar
Battle Wizard Lord (Light)
Battle Wizard (Light)
Battle Wizard (Light)
Captain BSB on Foot
Captain on Pegasus

30 Halbardiers
2 x 5 Archer detatchments
3 x 5 Knightly Orders

6 Demigryph Knights
Celestial Hurricanum
Cannon

Sorry for the lack of item detail but I don't have a copy of his list as we stand. Spells were rolled and came out as follows;

Archmage - Flesh to Stone, Throne of Vines, Regrowth, The Dweller's Below

Wizard Lord - Speed of Light, The Light of Battle, Net of Amyntok, Birona's Timewarp
Wizard - Shem's Burning Gaze
Wizard - Shem's Burning Gaze

This is how deployment looked
I felt the deployment went down quite well for me, Most of my important units were on my right flank allowing me to flank his units depending on his first turn movements. I had a few favourable combats too with the lions opposite the demigryphs and the bus poised to crush the steam tank and sweep down the line.

After vanguard it looked like this
I wanted to use the left hand reavers to assist the buses movements whilst the two on the right hounded the archers and protected my firebase with the helms. As it turned out I was lucky and won the roll off even though my opponent had the +1 for first turn.
Turn 1 - HE
I moved up to the edge of his charge ranges to hopefully entice him into some long charges, allowing me to counter charge them next turn. I'd also set up the possibility of a long charge on the steam tank.

Magic came up 12-8 He dispels throne of vines and I get off flesh to stone on the big bird. No more spells were cast as I was mostly out of range this turn.

The combined elven shooting kills one archer and a knight [-X

Turn 1 - Empire
He shuffled a little and rolled up winds of 8-7 I dispel all but Shem's killing 3 reavers from the central group.

Shooting kills another reaver and his cannon drops short on my Eagle Claw

Turn 2 - HE
I started by charging the Steam Tank with the bus which made it in.

I roll up Magic 7-6 and proceed to fail to cast throne on 2 dice.. :roll:

Shooting kills some archers

In CC i only manage 4 wounds on the steam tank which was hugely disappointing on the charge. The dragon princes only managed to wound once on their 11 hits which was somewhat frustrating.

Turn 2 - Empire
The Reavers flee knights charge but they pass their test to redirect to bus. The Steam Tank grinds 2 DP’s beneath its wheels.

Magic 11- 6 Only Net goes on the white lions.

Shooting is ineffective

In CC the bus manages 3 more wounds on the Steam Tank and 3 DP’s fall. Knights break from combat.

Turn 3 - HE
I saw a few opportunities here. I charged the fleeing knights with the Frostheart forcing them to flee again then redirected to the demis. The reavers then charge them forcing them off through his other units, then continuing to redirect to the halbards. The Frostie makes it in but the reavers fail.

Magic came up 4 - 4 and Regrowth on the bus is scrolled.

Shooting forces the blocking archers to flee.

In CC the ST is left on 1 wound and the frostie takes 3 from the demis's. He hold's on the 6's re-roll ;)

Turn 3 - Empire

The Knights in the centre charge the reavers on the left who flee but he doesn't redirect fearing the wrath of the lions. Peg hero charges the reavers on the right who flee and the hero fails to redirect as he lies slightly out’ve lectors inspiring presence bubble.

Magic blows up 8-4 and he starts with a 2 dice banishment from the war altar going off irresistibly killing 6 lion. I then scroll an attempt at timewarp on the demis. Te rest is dispelled.

Shooting - A Cannonball smashes though the lions killing 3

CC The Frostie takes another wound from the Demi's and the bus easily finishes off the last wound on the tank. I reform towards the centre.

Turn 4 - HE

I declare four charges. The helm bus into the demigryph's, the lions into the knight's to their front (with potential overruns), the helms into the now exposed peg hero (with a potential overrun into the knights) and the right hand reavers into the side of the halberdiers to hopefully assassinate a mage.

At this point he concedes knowing the game is over. I would've liked to continue to be honest if only to see what the bus can do on a successful charge but I completely agreed that the game was over and did not wish to make him continue a game he wasn't going to enjoy.

Well anyway - Victory to the High Elves! :D

After battle thoughts and analysis to follow but in the meantime enjoy the report and any C&C is welcome as always.

Thanks for reading

Caradryal

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Caradryal's Host - First bat rep with new list

#67 Post by Ferny »

Nice win - looks like you took advantage of the chances you got here :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Elindar

#68 Post by Elindar »

Don't you think BoWD would be better on Lions? And giving Obsidian Lodestone to your Archmage.

This way you get a 3++ vs magic on DP, and a 2++ for Lions, protecting them from things like banishment or other killy spells.

And congratulations for the win! Nice battle report.
Caradryal

#69 Post by Caradryal »

After battle thoughts

I was fairly pleased with the list in this match up. I feel the list suits my play style and I love having the formidable unit in the form of the High Elf cavalry bus. As I mentioned at the start of the report I was quite pleased with how the deployment went down and having several small drops really opens up a lot of options.

Individual unit analysis.

Prince/Noble/Dragon Princes - They didn't really get to show their worth here but did eliminate a large threat in the form of the Steam Tank. It had to be taken out and I felt they were up to the task even if they did suffer from rubber lance syndrome somewhat. They grinding power did shine through after that though as did their resilience when they received a flank charge from the knights. Their threat down the flank of the opponents army eventually won the battle though.

Archmage - Didn't really get much chance to shine here due to some bad winds rolls and good dispelling. I will however be sticking with life as I feel it's a good lore for this list.

Archers - Decent ranged threat, didn't get involved much in this battle due to the large amounts of heavy armour.

Reavers - Really pleased with these again. They performed well, bating the enemy and performing feigned flights which is what the do best. I still have to learn the intricacies of using them after using eagles for the purpose throughout 7th.

Helms - Useful in defending an exposed flank as they did in this battle but I feel I still have to unlock their potential.

Lions - Excellent as always. Didn't get chance to get stuck in here, but they provided a great worry for my opponent. They also drew some fire/ spells away from the rest of my force.

Eagle Claw's - Decent ranged threat when combined with the archer block. Provide another anti armour threat, useful due to the recent rise in armoured lists.

Frostheart - Probably the game winner here in charging the demi's and weathering their attacks for a turn. Will definitely be staying.

All in all quite happy and I'm looking forward to the next test.

Caradryal

#70 Post by Caradryal »

Ferny wrote:Nice win - looks like you took advantage of the chances you got here :)
Thanks mate, was quite pleased with how it panned out. Still have a vast amount to learn with this list style yet :)

Caradryal

#71 Post by Caradryal »

Elindar wrote:Don't you think BoWD would be better on Lions? And giving Obsidian Lodestone to your Archmage.

This way you get a 3++ vs magic on DP, and a 2++ for Lions, protecting them from things like banishment or other killy spells.

And congratulations for the win! Nice battle report.
Interesting idea and it certainly has some merit. I don't plan to change the list as yet as I feel it needs some more testing before I do. I will however keep this idea in my mind for future list changes.

Thanks although I am disappointed about the current lack of Battle Chronicler.

Caradryal

#72 Post by Caradryal »

Had a game against lizzies today which was a steep learning curve.

We played ETC format so i made some slight list changes for the game

Lords

Prince

Archmage (Life)

Heroes

Noble

Core

3 x 5 Reavers
Bows, Musician

5 Silver Helms
Shields, Musician

18 Archers
Musician

Special

12 Dragon Princes
FC, Banner of the World Dragon, Ogre Blade

21 x White Lions

Rare

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Frostheart Phoenix

2398 pts

His list was

Slann (Loremaster)
Oldblood on foot
2 x Mounted Scar Vet
2 x Skink priest heavens (Scroll and Cube)
2 x 10 Skink skirmishers
2 x 20 Skinks
2 Salamanders
10 skinks
2 x 4 Ripperdactyls
Bastilodons

This is how deployment went down.
Any comments on deployment would be very welcome.

I ended up with a narrow loss, mostly due to the large amount of hard as nails throwaway chars he could stop my units with and getting shot to pieces by his massed skinks. I also failed to cast my spells a lot and am considering going back to the book of hoerth.

My bus and lions lines up some nice charges but he fled a lot even having some of his skinks flee off so i couldn't get near his slann's unit. As I couldn't get my spells off I couldn't heal my frosty from the skinks poisons.

Sorry for the lack of a detailed write up on this occasion. I was at a loss trying to learn ETC and the new lizzies rules :/

Caradryal