Charge of the Loremaster/Neglected Blog - Prep vs Brets

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sackree

Charge of the Loremaster/Neglected Blog - Prep vs Brets

#1 Post by Sackree »

In a few weeks is my last tournament with the old book, so I suppose that means I will have to start thinking about the style of list I want to be running for a while.
All I know at the moment is that I am determined to use the Loremaster in any list I run, as I am absolutely sold on him and love the concept.

With the Loremaster being my main caster I see the BoH as being essential on him in order to make the most out of the PD I have access to, which leaves me with 45pts to play arond with his build.
Without testing him first though I will just have to trial and error different builds for him and units to babysit him until I find a combination that works for me.

Build Ideas

A few ideas I have are:

1. BoH & Armour of Silvered steel.

Gives him a 2+ AS to keep him alive in combat, combined with 5+ regen from earthblood and recovering wounds from lifebloom I see this as the most tanky option for him.

2. BoH, Shield of the Merwrym, Sword of Might, Golden Crown

This drops him down to S5 but gives him rerolls to hit. It also gives him a cheap 4+ parry save in combat and a 2+ ward against his first wound suffered. Kind of a jack of all trades build, which is fitting for his role in an army.

3. Boh & Talisman of Preservation

More typically seen on an archmage. Not to sure if I am keen on it for the Loremaster though. It does offer him protection from deathsniping, but I aim to have him in combat a lot which will help, and I will be running a scroll caddy mage as well to help. It also doesn't work very well in conjunction with earthblood which I think is a spell he should be trying to cast every magic phase.

4. BoH, Cloak of Beards & Glittering Robes

A bit of a gimmicky Idea that stemmed from my recent ame against nurgle daemons. It isn't going to make him any tougher, but at WS6 with -1 to be hit and easy access to both Miasma and Iceshard blizzard, it can the opponent need 6's just to hit him. If the opponent fails their fear test they will also be hitting on 6's. Not being hit is the best way of not taking damage after all.

Spell Priority

Wow, 8 spells, I don't think I've ever had that many spells before, even when I ran a Silver wand archmage and a support caster. The incredible thing is that they are all on one caster. Which begs the question, which ones do I cast and when? lets assume an average magic phase of 7 dice. With the books ability to trickle cast We are looking at a few spells going off a turn, especially due to the low casting costs.
So lets look at what he has: ( note all dice for reliable casting attempts are for unboosted versions of spells)

Fireball. Cast on a 5+ (1 dice)
Easily one diceable with the book. Good range on the basic spell, and boostable. This spell should be used every magic phase in the early game to help clear out chaff so we can dictate movement using our own reavers and eagles.

Wyssans Wildform. Cast on a 10+ (3 dice)
Once combat this is priority number one. Turning our flimsy elves into a fighting machine. Early game it is near useless unless facing a lot of low Str shooting.

Searing Doom. Cast on a 10+ (3 dice)
Completely dependant on the opponents list and army to be honest. It also has quite a high casting cost for its damage output. Against Empire, WoC and DE Hydras it is a high priority early game, against other armies leave it on the bench.

Shem's burning gaze. Cast in a 5+ (1 dice)
The same as fireball in it's basic form. Has a nice affect against undead and daemons though. The boosted version also raises it to Str 6 which makes it good for shooting at monsters due to it's high Str and flaming attacks. Depending on which army you are against pick between this and Fireball early game... Or use both.

Earthblood. Cast on a 8+ (2-3 dice)
Very important. Being able to give your whole unit of White Lions and himself 5++ regen is fantastic, straight from the start of the game to the finish. In addition to this great buff the lore attribute lets him recover a wound he has suffered prior. This gives him a lot of staying power in combat. I would suggest trying to cast this spell most turns if the lore master is in a powerful combat unit such as White Lions.

Iceshard Blizzard. Cast on a 7+ (2 dice)
An absolutely excellent spell for the cost. It protects our troops from warmachine's and shooting early game, increases our survivability and our chances of breaking the opponent mid to late game. As far as I'm concerned this spell should be attempted every phase, unless your opponent has no shooting early game.

Miasma. Cast on a 5+ (1 dice)
Very diverse spell. Lets us take away movement and BS early game, and WS and I late game, ensuring that we are harder to hit and our GW elites will still strike first. There is no reason no to try one dice this in an attempt to draw out dispel dice every phase.

Spirit Leach. Cast on a 7+ (2 dice)
With the new FAQ it's not the best spell for picking off characters anymore, but still has it's uses against low LD armies such as OnG. It is also good for picking off monsters that wander out of their generals LD range such as a Chimera. It is quiet a specific spell with a low range, so for that reason I would save your dice for something better.

My current idea for a list is as follows but is subject to change:

Code: Select all

+++ 8th Edition High Elves (2498pts) +++
+++ 2500pt High Elves 8th Ed Roster (Standard)) ++

+ Lords + (330pts)

* Loremaster of Hoeth (330pts) 
        Great Weapon, Heavy Armor
        * Magic Items
            (AB) Book of Hoeth, (BRB) Armour of Silvered Steel

+ Heroes + (601pts)

* Mage (110pts) 
        Lore of Heavens
        * Magic Items
            (BRB) Dispel Scroll

* Noble (329pts) 
        Dragon Armor, Great Weapon
        * Griffon
            Swiftsense, Swooping Strike
        * Magic Items
            (AB) Golden Crown of Atrazar, (AB) Star Lance, (BRB) Enchanted Shield, (BRB) Potion of Foolhardiness

* Noble (162pts) 
        Battle Standard, Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield
        * Elven Steed with Barding (Hero)
            Ithilmar Barding
        * Magic Items
            (BRB) Dawnstone, (BRB) Dragonhelm, (BRB) Ironcurse Icon

+ Core + (644pts)

* Archers (220pts) 
        21x Archer, Longbow, Musician

* Ellyrian Reavers (105pts) 
        Elven Steed, Light Armor, Musician
        * 5x Ellyrian Reaver
            5x Spears and Bows

Elven Steed, Light Armor, Musician
        * 5x Ellyrian Reaver
            5x Spears and Bows

* Silver Helms (214pts) 
        Elven Steed, Heavy Armor, High Helm, Ithilmar Barding, Lance, Musician, Standard Bearer
        * 8x Silver Helm
            8x Shield

+ Special + (683pts)

* Phoenix Guard (330pts) 
        Halberd, Heavy Armor, Keeper of the Flame, Musician, 20x Phoenix Guard, Standard Bearer

* White Lions of Chrace (353pts) 
        Great Weapon, Guardian, Heavy Armor, Lion Cloak, Musician, 21x White Lion
        * Standard Bearer
            (AB) Banner of the World Dragon

+ Rare + (240pts)

* Frostheart Phoenix (240pts) 

Created with http://www.battlescribe.net. BattleScribe

I've opted to trial the tank build first as I think keeping him alive is more important than increasing his damage output. He will be running with the unit of Lions with the banner of you can't touch me to help add to his survivability.

This also gives me a chance to trial the cruise missile Griffon Noble. With the target saturation between him and the phoenix and access to 2 ice shard blizzards It a should help him to reach the combats he wants to.
Last edited by Sackree on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 am, edited 8 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Sackree

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Sackree's Army Blog.

#2 Post by Sackree »

Last edited by Sackree on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Sackree

#3 Post by Sackree »

Reserved
HERO

#4 Post by HERO »

Let me know how this one goes. As a Mage Lord, I look down on Lv.2s! Prove me wrong :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Sackree

#5 Post by Sackree »

HERO wrote:Let me know how this one goes. As a Mage Lord, I look down on Lv.2s! Prove me wrong :)
I've always been more about quantity over quality haha. First game will be on friday either against dwarves or chaos dwarves. Personally hoping for the latter so I have a chance to actually test the loremaster.
Sackree

#6 Post by Sackree »

On deciding what unit to bunker him in, I believe it has to be in a unit with BotWD. The book will increase the chance of miscast, which doesn't bother us too much when we have a 2++ save (unless we are sucked into the void)

The unit should also be a combat unit such as lions or phoenix guard that want to see combat. There is no point paying for his combat stats if we have no plan on having him see combat. He has the ability to provide the whole unit with buffs, and with BotWD magic combat heroes wont be hurting him as they often take magic weapons.
LordSecro

#7 Post by LordSecro »

I like the idea. I'm running him in a block of Phoenix Guard. The main disadvantage of this is Earthblood (or a lack thereof), because the PG don't need it and then the lore attribute doesn't come into play. I'll have White Lions in my list, but they'll be with an Annointed and a lvl 2 High Magic Mage, who will provide them with a ward save. Let me know how yours works!

-Lord Secro
flanker

#8 Post by flanker »

I like your list. It feels solid and has 3 fast hammers to bring the pain and put enemies under pressure early on, however, I do see some glaring weakness against certain match ups:

The Griffon has no protection against Cannons and due to its cost is a very high priority target for warmachines. Although technically you do not yield points unless the Noble also gets killed in CC at a later point.

You only have 7 drops, that means your 2 inf block which are relatively slow moving will be down long before your opponent who typically has 10 drops have placed their main counters to your WL and PG blocks.

Good thread.
joey_boy

#9 Post by joey_boy »

Overall I really like it!

The Griff.Noble is cool. But in the end he is 89p more then a second Ice Phoenix, so the question is what he gets over the second Phoenix? If you swap you'll have the points for an Eagle and the Razor Standard to the PG making them more of a danger in CC and even nastier with Wyssan's on them.

But I'd love to see what the Griff can do and I'm looking forward to seeing how he works for you as I really like the idea of a Griff.Noble.
Sackree

#10 Post by Sackree »

Having a 2500pt game against Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves tonight, not sure which he'll bring yet.
Also having a wee warm up 1000pt game with Night Gobbo's, so watch this space for battle reports and discussion on the games.
flanker

#11 Post by flanker »

I am watching. I've included a Eagle Noble version of your Griffin Noble and would be very interested to know if the Griffin is worth its points.

Mine is equipped with the charmed shield and crown to let him tank 2 cannon shots to the face.
John Rainbow

#12 Post by John Rainbow »

Interesting idea. I think the griffon noble will have a huge target painted on his head though, an eagle could be a better choice just purely because it can't get shot out from beneath him and any ward also applies. What is the reasoning behind the level 1 heavens?
Sackree

#13 Post by Sackree »

Kia ora Ulthuan,

I am happy to be making a return, seeing as it's been over 2 months since I last visited. My medical placement at the hospital and a beautiful holiday to the pacific islands stopped me touching a model since my last seventh edition tournament in early June.

Regardless to say I have missed a lot of developments that have happened with our fantastic new book so am eager to play catch up.
I also promised a write up of my last tournament and the few 8th Ed battles I had before that, but I accidentally deleted all my photos when clearing my camera for my holiday, so I have no memory of what happened in them.

Regardless, I am going to get back to where I left off, trying to utilize the Loremaster effectively and having fun whilst doing so.

I have made some changes to my initial list, deciding to drop the fragile Griffon Noble for a hard hitting Prince to beef up the Silverhelms.

+++ elves (2397pts) +++
+++ 2400pt High Elves 8th Ed Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

High Elves 8th Ed (Standard) Selections:

+ Lords + (596pts)

* Loremaster of Hoeth (320pts) 
        * Magic Items
            (AB) Book of Hoeth, (AB) Shield of the Myrwyrm, (BRB) Sword of Might

* Prince (276pts) 
        Heavy Armor, Shield
        * Elven Steed with Barding (Lord)
            Ithilmar Barding
        * Magic Items
            (BRB) Dawnstone, (BRB) Dragonhelm, (BRB) Giant Blade, (BRB) Potion of Foolhardiness

+ Heroes + (168pts)

* Noble (168pts) 
        Battle Standard, Great Weapon, Heavy Armor
        * Elven Steed with Barding (Hero)
            Ithilmar Barding
        * Magic Items
            (AB) Star Lance, (BRB) Enchanted Shield, (BRB) The Other Trickster's Shard

+ Core + (609pts)

* Archers (110pts) 
        10x Archer, Longbow, Musician

* Ellyrian Reavers (85pts) 
        Elven Steed, Light Armor
        * 5x Ellyrian Reaver
            5x Bow Only

* Ellyrian Reavers (85pts) 
        Elven Steed, Light Armor
        * 5x Ellyrian Reaver
            5x Bow Only

* Silver Helms (329pts) 
        Elven Steed, Heavy Armor, High Helm, Ithilmar Barding, Lance, Musician, Standard Bearer
        * 13x Silver Helm
            13x Shield

+ Special + (644pts)

* Phoenix Guard (330pts) 
        Halberd, Heavy Armor, Keeper of the Flame, Musician, 20x Phoenix Guard, Standard Bearer

* Sword Masters of Hoeth (314pts) 
        Bladelord, Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Musician, 18x Sword Master
        * Standard Bearer
            (AB) Banner of the World Dragon

+ Rare + (380pts)

* Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts) 
        Light Armor

Light Armor

Created with BattleScribe

I will trial this list for a few matches to see if how it works, my next match won't be using Elves though, as I am swapping armies with a Local Dwarf player to see how the other side lives so to say.

So let me know what you think about my new Loremaster Cav Prince Hybrid list
Sackree

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Battle report Vs Dwarves

#14 Post by Sackree »

Battle Report 01
2400 points Vs Dwarves

Had a friendly 2400 point against my friends Dwarves today. Trying out a more aggressive list that still includes the Loremaster.
I am using the list in the post above, I can’t remember all the items and points he had but I can remember the unit sizes so his list is as follows:

Runesmith - Rune of steal a power dice, Rune of dispel scroll
BSB – 1+ rerollable
40 warriors – GW
20 rangers – GW, crossbows
10 quarrellers
25 Ironbreakers
20 Hammerers
5 Miners
5 Miners
3 Bolt throwers w/ engineers (+1BS)
Grudge Thrower w/ stuff
Cannon w/stuff
Organ gun

Deployment

The hill in his deployment zone had impassable terrain all around, castling his shooting without him even trying, making it hard for me to get to them.
He had less drops than me so I could place my bus where it was needed most. I wanted to avoid his GW horde and stubborn Hammers so I opted to drop it across from the iron breakers, predicting his rangers to be dropped in the gap across from them to protect the war machines.

We rolled for first turn; he had +1 and proceeded to roll a 6, so I had to steady myself for a black powder bombardment before I could do anything.

Turn 1

Reavers vanguarded around the flanks.

Quarrellers moved into the tower. Everything else moved forward to make a defensive line that could counter charge all targets with stubborn hammerers protecting one flank and a forest to deter my cavalry on the other flank. He did block his organ guns line of sight to my infantry with his warrior horde which would give me much more freedom in central field.

2 Bolt throwers missed their targets, 1 hit the Phoenix but failed to wound. The cannon took 2 wounds off the Phoenix. The grudge thrower aimed at the bird but misfired so couldn’t shoot for 2 turns.

Not wanting to have to take too much more shooting I moved up very aggressively. Both Reavers headed behind enemy lines. The Helms positioned themselves to charge either the Rangers or Ironbreakers. The phoenix moved to double charge with either the Swordmasters or the Knights. Swordmasters and Phoenix guard moved up to put pressure onto the eastern the infantry blocks, making use of the organ guns blocked line of sight.

The Loremaster failed to cast ice shard blizzard on 2 dice with the book reroll, so there was no magic.

I can’t remember the exact targets for shooting, but I only managed 1 wound on a cannon.

Turn 2

Miners arrived by my eastern RBT. Rangers charged at the silver helms, hoping to delay their arrival, but failed to make the distance. BSB left the Ironbreakers to take a more central position. Hammerers come forward to keep protecting those flanks from the Phoenix Guard.

Quarrellers take 2 wound of the eastern Reavers. Bolt throwers kill 3 knights. Cannon takes another 2 wounds off the Phoenix. The organ gun tries to take off his last wound but fails to hurt him.

He reveals his BSB has rune of challenge and makes my Phoenix charge his unit. Knights and Reavers double charged the rangers. Swordmasters failed to make it into the warriors to aid the eagle. Phoenix guard smashed into the hammerers and the eastern Reavers assaulted a bolt thrower.
He scrolled wyssans on the phoenix guard, and then was able to comfortably dispel everything else I attempted.

Shooting saw the eastern RBT kill 4 miners and panic the last one off the board.

The rangers were killed down to 2 dwarves and fled into the impassable rock being caught by the Reavers who stopped, unable to see his war machines =[. The knights reformed to see the iron breakers. The phoenix managed an all mighty 3 kills, even at +1 STR, but took none in return and held. The Phoenix Guard killed more than double what they lost but the Hammerers held on with stubborn. The Eastern Reavers managed 3 wound, but because of the engineer they had 1 left so the bolt thrower held.

Turn 3

He ummed and arred whether to charge the knights or focus all his shooting towards them. Eventually he chose the latter and shuffled the iron breakers sideways to get line of sight with the organ gun. Another unit of miners arrived in the same place as the last ones.

The shooting saw another 3 knight’s fall, which passed panic. His grudge thrower misfired again, unable to shoot for 2 turns, as did his organ gun.

Reavers finished off the bolt thrower. Phoenix guard beat up the hammerers again, who stubbornly held on. Phoenix did a few more wounds, but broke, ran a couple inches and was run down with the hoard stopping short of the Swordmasters.

The knights smashed into the Ironbreakers. The sword masters were auto in on the horde. The eastern Reavers came to help the phoenix guard. The archers moved their position and the western Reavers snuck through a gap to set up charges against war machines.

Magic saw the Swordmasters gain regen, the warriors were miasma’d down to ws 2 and wyssans was dispelled on the PG.

The eastern RBT could not repeat its success and only killed 1 miner.

Knights stripped 2 ranks of the iron breakers, but could not break steadfast. Swordmasters killed 17 warriors! Only taking 4 wounds back and 1 on the Loremaster thanks to the warriors needing 5’s to hit and 5+ regen. The Hammerers were nearly all gone but managed to kill the 3 remaining Reavers netting him some points.

Turn 4

Miners charged at the RBT. The quarrellers moved out of the building to set up a flank on the phoenix guard.

2 Reavers died to grapeshot.

The knights continued to grind down the Ironbreakers. The Swordmasters stripped away the hordes steadfast but they manage to hold. Once again few remaining hammers also stayed put.

Reavers charge the cannon.

Magic see’s the Loremaster miscast. One large S10 later and a cascade dodge see the Swordmasters gain regen and lose a few, with the dwarves losing even more. Not a bad trade off.

Shooting kills a few quarrellers.

The phoenix guard kill off all but the Runesmith, no longer stubborn he runs but they fail to catch him. The Swordmasters kill the BSB and remaining warriors and reform to face the Organ gun as I thought the phoenix guard would hold against the incoming quarreller charge. Knights kill another rank of Ironbreakers, breaking steadfast and they hold as well! The Reavers run through the cannon and into the grudge thrower.

Turn 5

Quarrellers charge into the Phoenix Guard’s flank. Runesmith rallies, miners move into the house to take cover.

He has no targets to shoot at.

The phoenix guard kill 1 and lose 1, are steadfast but roll a 12 for their break test. They run away 4 inches and the quarrellers avenge their fallen brethren. Unfortunately for them, they are now standing in front of the Swordmasters. The last of the Ironbreakers are killed and the knights reform to face the grudge thrower and bolt thrower.

SwordMasters charge the crossbows, they flee but are caught and they hit the organ gun. Silverhelms crash into the grudge thrower.

Due to time, we call it there.

Result – Solid Victory to the High Elves

So it was a pretty solid victory. I felt bad for his 3 misfires, especially in the turn he needed the guns the most, but relying on shooting can be just as fickle as relying on magic. He did make some great leadership rolls though, so it is swings and roundabouts I guess.

I think he made a big mistake in deployment, leaving his weaker units to defend the war machines. If the horde or stubborn hammers had been there I might not have been able to open up a gap as easily.

The Loremaster provided enough magic assistance to get some very helpful buffs off to swing combats, but I do feel the lack of a crowd control spell.
I am still leaning towards Swordmasters over whitelions, due to WS6 letting me hit on 3’s. They did perform admirably in the game.

Thoughts & comments?
Last edited by Sackree on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arhain

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Return from Hiatus

#15 Post by Arhain »

Yeah I love the SM unit with the Loremaster support, that's a brutal combo that I'm surprised you don't see more often. Nice battle report, you definitely had the stronger hand in deployment with the SH being pretty much unopposed on the left flank. I'd like to see you okay this army again, only because it was unfortunate that he misfired so often! Well played though regardless, and a good read.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Avicii

#16 Post by Avicii »

Thanks for the great battle report. Interesting list, I look forward to following your thread.

Avicii
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
Seventh Kingdom

#17 Post by Seventh Kingdom »

Regarding spirit leech, its really useful for getting extra dice. If you just cast it on the average Bret peasant or goblin within range you should hopefully gain more dice than you had. As its not affecting a character, your opponent will probably just let it through. It's not a very solid tactic, but can pay off well.

The main reason of taking a loremaster is to take advantage of the lore attributes.
" The nights grow long and yet evil never sleeps, and so neither can the champions of justice."
- Sir Keven, Champion of the lady
Sackree

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Battle Report vs Empire

#18 Post by Sackree »

Battle Report 2
2400 Points vs Empire

Had a very tense battle against an empire list, the battle swung back and fourth a lot making it very enjoyable.
He was very character heavy so I can't remember all his items. His list was as follows:

Arch Lector - Mounted, Runefang & Stuff
Lvl 4 Shadow - stuff
BSB - Armour of Meteoric Iron
Lvl 2 Metal - Scroll
Warrior Priest
WitchHunter
50 Swordsmen
20 Militia - Detachment
20 Handgunners - Detachment
9 Inner Circle Knights
20 Greatswords
4 Demi Gryph Knights
Great cannon
Hellblaster

Deployment

There was a hill on my side of the terrain, the brown patch on his is dangerous terrain.
He deployed first, with little chaff he was dropping combat blocks by the time my archers were down. He weighted his armour on the left flank, which I had to oppose with my bus, the prince and Noble are the only source of High Strength attacks in combat. Looking at deployment now, I feel I split my forces far too much into 2 halves, leaving the centre field open.
His Witch Hunter Declareds my Loremaster a Heretic.
He rolls for first turn.

Magic:
Lvl 4 - Miasma, Enfeebling, Pit, Okkams
Lvl 2 - Searing doom, Glittering Robes

Turn 1

Everything movies forward. His Demi's take the left flank with his ICK staying back in a position where it can support the flank or assault the middle.
Miasma on the Bus to slow it down to movement 6.
Shooting see's his cannon kill my Phoenix. Rough Start.

East Reavers move to redirect his Demi's. Helms move into position to assault the Demi's Western reaver's run around the flanks to get to the warmachines. Infantry advances.
Iceshard blizzard goes off on the cannon.
Bolt throwers can not see the knights or Demi's, so target the greatswords along with the archers trimming them down to size. Reavers ping off a few swordsmen.

Turn 2

Demi's charge reavers who fled through helms, no panic, leaving the Demi's out of position.. Greatswords attempt a long charge needing 11, to try pin the helms into place in order to save the Demi's and make it!!
Infantry moves into postion's for counter charges. ICK move to center of board for assault on infantry.
Magic was nothing to note.
Shooting saw his cannon fire through the Iceshard and destroy a RBT.
In combat the prince made way and the characters went to town on the greatswords. No wounds were taking on the characters and a few helms died from the back rank for their trouble.
It was looking like it would be a quick game at this point.

Phoenix guard into the swordsmen. Swordmasters fail a charge into the militia. Eastern reavers rally and move to block the Demi's from reaching the helms.
A big and much needed magic phase see's a boosted Searing Doom go off on his ICK with 9 hits! Only 1 is left standing next to his general. Iceshard and Miasma go off onto his swords, making him need 6's to hit. Wyssans is dispelled.
The remaining RBT killed a Demi.
The characters continued to grind down the Greatswords, who held with 2 models. Phoenix guard stripped the back rank of the horde and lost little in return, even with the hatred rerolls.

Turn 3

Demi's charged the Reavers again, who fled 4" and were caught by 6" which set up a beautiful flank for me. Militia, knowing they could not kill the Swordmasters decided to charge the phoenix guard and try to break them on res.
ArchLector moved to hide from the bolt thrower, the lone knight headed towards the archers and bolt thrower.
Miasma on phoenix guard to make his troops hit on 5's not 6's. He then smoke and mirrored his Lvl 4 into the Handgunners replacing the Lvl 2.
He decided to shoot the Reavers with his Hellblaster, killing them all, which shocked me as I thought he would unleash on the Swordmasters along with the Handgunners. Handgunners then managed 0 wounds on the Swordmasters! The 1 wounding hit was parried on a 6.
The Prince killed the last 2 Greatswords, which panicked the DemiGryphs sending them back up the left flank.! This was bittersweet really as I wanted to charge them where they were in the following turn.
Phoenix guard shredded some more Swordsmen and both their attacks to the side wounded. They lost a few and held.

SilverHelms charged Demi’s who had to flee. Archers charged down the hill into the flank of the knight. Swordmasters into the flank of the militia.
Iceshard and miasma shared between the militia and Swordsmen to make them hit less. Spirit Leach killed the Hellblaster. Wyssans was dispelled.
Bolt Thrower pinged a wound off the cannon.
Archers and the Knight had a pillow fight, causing the Knight to break and run away 10”.
The WitchHunter challenged out the Loremaster and was swiftly dealt with. SwordMasters and Phoenix Guard ripped through their combat. The Swordsmen were just steadfast and held, and this allowed the Militia to hold on with Stubborn as well.

Turn 4

Demi’s rallied and turned to face the Helms. The ICK failed to roll snake eyes and carried on running. ArchLector joined the Demi’s.
Glittering robes went up on the Swordsmen. Enfeebling on the Swordmasters.
The cannon claimed another victim in the RBT.
The main combats saw a lot of Empire casualties again, but still managed to hold on steadfast because the Phoenix Guard lost 2.

Helms into the Demi’s.
Wyssans onto the Phoenix Guard. Enfeebling dispelled. Iceshard up on the Swordsmen.
The archers killed 5 Handgunners at long range!
2 Demi’s died. 5 Helms were killed in return! Demi’s held on – 4Ld!
Militia were dealt with leaving the Swordmasters out of combat. Phoenix guard killed 6. Their loss in numbers was really starting to show via their reduced damage output.

Turn 5

Handgunners were unable to make a legal charge into the flank of Swordmasters.
Big magic phase for him saw enfeebling on the Phoenix guard and a 5+ ward onto the swordsmen.
Shooting was negligible.
The western combat was carnage! It ended up with everything dead except the prince. The Archlector took his final wound from a horse at the same time as he killed the BSB.
The Phoenix Guard combat was won despite the debuffs but the swordmen held.

The prince charged across the field into his cannon, passing his dangerous terrain test.
Swordsmasters into the flank of the Swordsmen.
Weak magic phase saw enfeebling dispelled.
Archers killed some Handgunners.
Cannon was killed. On the right everything but the BSB was killed. The BSB failed his break test, unable to muster insane courage, causing him to be destroyed.
With that we ended it a turn early due to time.

So that was fun, I thought I was really in for it half way through the second turn!

The LoreMaster was able to hold his own against a Lvl 4 this game thanks to the book. He really struggled to decide what spells he would not let through, usually Wyssans. Casting that huge searing doom was what really helped turn the tide of this battle.

The phoenix guard really shined in this battle. With a few buffs their resilience was really evident against core RnF as they held up a 50 man block of swordsmen for most the game.

If I was to replay this game, I think I would weight my army more heavily on the left where his heavy hitting units were as opposed to splitting the forces completely because I was out deployed.

Finally losing my phoenix first turn was a real kick in the teeth as he would have been great early on against those Greatswords that sprinted across the field.

I hope you enjoyed this read,
Comments and thoughts are appreciated.
Bolt Thrower

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Game 2 Vs Empire

#19 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Thanks for the report, Sackree!

Any idea why, in turn 3, your opponent chose not to redirect his demigryph knights into your helms? I thought it was risky for you to flee that charge--unless I'm missing something in the diagrams, it seems he could have been into your bus and possibly have broken them that turn.

I'm sure that searing doom felt great after losing your phoenix right off the bat!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Sackree

#20 Post by Sackree »

Bolt Thrower wrote:Thanks for the report, Sackree!

Any idea why, in turn 3, your opponent chose not to redirect his demigryph knights into your helms? I thought it was risky for you to flee that charge--unless I'm missing something in the diagrams, it seems he could have been into your bus and possibly have broken them that turn.

I'm sure that searing doom felt great after losing your phoenix right off the bat!
Great question,
The flee was a mistake on my part actually, as i should've held. My opponent and I had a good chat afterwards. With the loss of his ICK he spent a bit of time weighing up the lesser of two evils and wanted to get his demi's across the field because there was a lot of points in his infantry, that he knew he would lose and he thought the prince would do enough damage to the demi's so that they wouldn't be able to contribute to the other combat.
Last edited by Sackree on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
elvishhealer

#21 Post by elvishhealer »

Thanks for writing up the battle report. Your list seems to work well, most work is done with silver hem knights and 2 special units (SM & PG).

I don't want to be rude, but it's a very classical list, there's nothing much new here. scuzzy.
dragonhunterslayer

#22 Post by dragonhunterslayer »

Hey Sackree,

Nice to see someone run a list similar to mine. I play with the following character setup:

* Loremaster of Hoeth (AB) Book of Hoeth, (BRB) Talisman of Preservation
* Noble, BSB, Shield of the Merwrym, Golden Crown & Ring of Khaine

Loremaster, in Swordmasters for Lifebloom.
Noble with Phoenix Guard to try get their 3++, draw dispell dice and act as backup if Loremaster flunks his magic phase.

I've dropped the prince in order to get more elite infantry, mainly because I could't stop my Silver helm bus from dying. For the price of the Prince I've got 10 sisters, 5 shadow warriors (quite surprised at their usability, as they're such low priority for the enemy but always end up forcing an engagement) and 30 points to spare.

Looking forward to seeing more battlereps!
Sackree

#23 Post by Sackree »

I have decided to give a trial to white Lions in place of the Swordmasters. After the last game against Empire I realized I was not well equip to handling lots of heavily armoured threats. I do feel that without re-rolls White Lions took the biggest hit in our new book, as they are only WS5 which is equal to a lot of other armies elites. I will also be losing out on 6 attacks on the first rounds of combat.
That being said, there is a lot of positives about White Lions. They are S6! This is huge for our army. I5 still goes before most opponents and if it doesn't, miasma is one of the spells that is more likely to be let through by the opponent as we can 1 dice it.
They are also a lot more defensible than the Swordmasters. Having only 3 ranks means that I will rarely be steadfast and the White Lions are always going to be stubborn which is fantastic. They also tote a 3+ AS against shooting, 2++ against magic, and can easily have a 5++ regen so really can be quite hard to shift.

Had a game at the weekend against my friends Woodelves. People may say Woodelves are one of the weaker armies, but I think against High Elves they are very strong. They have a lot of High Initiative models, meaning we don't get re-rolls or we don't even strike first! They have massed S3/4 shooting which is murder to our T3 troops, and they can build lists that are as fast, if not faster than us in the movement phase.

He took a very fun list to face with a lot of hard hitting combat elements, which was quite un-WoodElvish.
His list was:

High Born on Dragon - Armour of Destiny, 3++ on character and mount, Great Weapon.
Eagle Noble - 3D6 S4 arrows
Spellsinger - talisman of teleport to another forest
20 Gladeguard
20 Gladeguard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Drayds
3 Treekin
12 Wardancers
Treeman

I'll post a Deployment preview for game 3. The scenario was Dawn attack, and most of my army rolled up on the right flank. Which is very hard to squish that many units into it. His only gripe was that he wanted his archers centrally because of the terrain and some of his forest spirits on the flanks.

Deployment

I will get round to writing up the rest of the report when I have some spare time. Shouldn't be too far away.
Stormie

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Game 3 Preview

#24 Post by Stormie »

Interesting looking army, you don't get to see Forest Dragons much these days. Are you sure it's Armour of Destiny on the rider? Giving him a 4+ ward save armour when he has 3+ ward from his talisman seems like overkill. Armour of Silvered Steed (2+ armour save) seems more likely?
Sackree

#25 Post by Sackree »

Stormie wrote:Interesting looking army, you don't get to see Forest Dragons much these days. Are you sure it's Armour of Destiny on the rider? Giving him a 4+ ward save armour when he has 3+ ward from his talisman seems like overkill. Armour of Silvered Steed (2+ armour save) seems more likely?
It was armour of destiny, but i definatle see the merit in taking AoSS instead. I believe the 3++ comes from the stone of the crystal mere, so when it is failed once the item stops working. My opponent explained that he still wants a ward save on his general after the ward is gone, as the 3++ ward is more for cannon protection on the dragon. It's actually a fantastic item and I would love to put it on a StarDragon.
Sackree

#26 Post by Sackree »

As promised here is the report for my latest game.

For magic he rolled – The hidden path & Ariel’s blessing

Turn 1

Reavers make vanguards.
Everything moves up aggressively.
Hidden Path on Dragon so it cannot be shot at by the RBTs.
The noble uses his magic arrows to wipe out the western Reavers. 2 eastern Reavers fall to shooting.

Everything moves up cautiously. Helms move through the township to face flank of the army. Phoenix guard move to protect RBT’s. I am also wary that he may move his Wardancer’s into the nearby forest and teleport them to my flank, so moving the phoenix guard here helps alleviate that worry.
Boosted Fireball and Shem’s both roll low for hits, and wipe out 5 dryads. Searing Doom takes 2 wounds off the treekin.
12 shots from the bolt throwers fail to hurt the eagle noble.

Turn 2

Dragon into the Phoenix Guard/ He moves his forest spirits towards the phoenix guard, knowing BotWD on the Lions will prevent them from doing damage. Doing so presents the flank of the Treekin though. Dryads move to block an overrun from the knights into his flanks.
Regen on the Treekin dispelled.
2 knights dropped by glade guard, other archers still out of range.
All my attacks go towards the Highborn, who takes for wounds and saves 3 out of 4 of them but losses his 3++ ward for failing one. The dragon and noble manage 4 wounds on the Phoenix guard. PG hold steadfast.

Frost Phoenix into flank of dragon. Helms into Dryads. Lions into Treekin.
Miasma and Iceshard onto the dragon. Wyssans onto the Phoenix guard in order to swing the Dragon combat.
Left Bolt Thrower takes out the Noble. The rest of the shooting kills the last 3 dryads.
All attacks go towards the Highborn killing him. The dragon fails to do enough wounds and breaks. Both units chase down the dragon. The Phoenix connects with the Dryads and the PG into the Treeman. Helms kill the dryads and reform to face the flank. Lions leave the Treekin on 2 wounds, breaking it, but failing to overrun into the Wardancer’s. This was unfortunate for me, as Wardancer’s are the best anti-elf combat unit if they get the charge off.

Turn 3

Wardancer’s charge the Lions. Western Glade guard move into range of the Helms. Eastern Glade guard move into short range and to increase the amount of available shots.
Regen goes off onto the Wardancer’s.
40 glade guard shots at a mix of S3 and 4 drop 8 helms!
PG put 1 wound on Treeman taking 3 in return and holding steadfast. Phoenix kills all the dryads and reforms. The Wardancer’s choose the +1 attack dance, leaving me facing 24 S4 attacks going before I get to strike. The Loremaster drops 2 Wardancer’s, then 13 Lions die, killing 3 in return. The Lions then fail their Ld9 rerollable and break and are run down, leaving the Wardancer’s facing the archers.
All of a sudden my right flank is looking a lot weaker with the loss of 2 ranks of knights, my Lions and Loremaster.

Phoenix into Treeman. I decide there is more points to be made from the knights on the western side, either way they will have to take another round of shooting. So march across the board, making sure they are in the arc of the archers and Treeman. Archers back up 2 inches so they are just over 5” away from the Wardancer’s allowing for stand and shoot. Reavers move into close range for shooting.
Everything that can shoot unleashes at the Wardancer’s, leaving 2 Wardancer’s and the Spell singer left.
Few wounds are exchanged in the Treeman combat, he holds stubborn.

Turn 4

Wardancer’s charge, 2 dying to stand and shoot. Treekin continue to flee.
No magic.
Shooting drops another 2 knights from their saddle.
Treeman combat continues and he holds stubborn. The archers cut down the Spell singer.

Noble pops his potion. Cavalry into the Glade guard, Helm champion dies to S&S. Archers and Reavers move to shoot eastern Glade guard.
Everything fires at the Glade guard, dropping 6. They pass panic.
Treeman combat continues, leaving him on 2 wounds. 10 Glade guard are killed! That’s every attack and 1 horse. No wounds in return. They hold on snake eyes!

Turn 5

Treekin continues to flee. Glade Guard move to be out of RBT view.
He decides the best unit to make points from is the reaver’s; only 2 Reavers are dropped though.
The phoenix fluffs all his attacks and he makes 2 out of 3 armour saves from the PG, leaving the Treeman on 1 wound! Glade guard take 6 wounds and are broken. The BSB runs them down and the Prince reforms.

I think we played this right, as there are no more silver helms the prince and BSB stopped being a unit at the end of last turn, allowing them to react independently after the combat this turn. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Prince into the Treeman, BSB into the Treekin who runs off the board. Reavers move behind the archers to benefit from cover.
A few glade guard drop but not enough for panic.
The prince kills the Treeman.

We call it there.

Victory to the Asur

Dawn attack really annoyed me in the deployment, making me force so many units into the corner. I would usually want the cavalry in open field, especially against unranked units, but I also needed to get the Lions into the centre field where his spirits were because of the BotWD.
It was unlucky for the Lions to break on a rerollable 9, but it happens. My plan was for the cavalry to charge the Wardancer’s in the flank on my following turn, but alas, I had to adapt.
It was really nice to play a game where the phoenix was not killed in the first few turns, as he really shone against the Forest Spirits.
This was my opponents first time using a dragon as well, so I believe he over estimated its effect, hence charging it solo into ranked infantry. He would’ve been better suited to send it against the Lions as it was not magical, or use his flight to get him into the flank of the PG as part of a combo charge.

Comments & thoughts are appreciated.

Kind regards, Tom

Edit, if the pictures look really weird and from the wrong battles, photobucket is being down right odd, will fix it tomorrow.
Last edited by Sackree on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleFlames

Re: Charge of the Loremaster - Game 3 vs Wood Elves

#27 Post by PurpleFlames »

Yea, he wasted his dragon (solo against a unit with ward...) and eagle noble...
Equals out the white lion massacre :)
Could your Phoenix have charged the Wardancers instead of the dragon?

but I think against High Elves they are very strong. They have a lot of High Initiative models, meaning we don't get re-rolls or we don't even strike first! They have massed S3/4 shooting which is murder to our T3 troops, and they can build lists that are as fast, if not faster than us in the movement phase.
Thought the same until I played them... But its easy for us to counter.

Units that can easily tank their shooting:
Silverhelms (2+)
White Lions (3+)
Phoenix Guard (5+, 4++)
Frost Phoenix (t6, 5+, 5++)

Lions just rape their treestuff, PG even without Razor Banner is more than enough against their elves. And the SH are steadfast against all their skirmishers as long as 5 are alive, which can be quite a while with AS 2! And even after that they have a great chance to not take too many losses and hold on their own. If you want them to win against say dryads, combocharge with Frosty and all their many attacks are now S3, so even if the combat takes 1-2 rounds they wont do much harm anywhere...

High Initiative? Sure, but Frosty makes them ASL, miasma from Loremaster drains their initiative or hand of glory from high magic (which is awesome vs. Woodies, specially soul purge!) increases ours.

Id avoid taking shooty units because of all their skirmishers. But magic missles against their Wardancers, Gladeguard or Dryads can clean up the gaming table quite fast.

I guess I will allow the woodelf player in our group to take 10-20% more points than me until their new book comes out some time next year... If it were more of a challenge it sure would a lot fun to play them ;)
Or the high elf player takes weaker units on purpose - but I really hate that :/
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#28 Post by SpellArcher »

Sackree wrote:High Born on Dragon - Armour of Destiny, 3++ on character and mount, Great Weapon.
Eagle Noble - 3D6 S4 arrows
Spellsinger - talisman of teleport to another forest
20 Gladeguard
20 Gladeguard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Drayds
3 Treekin
12 Wardancers
Treeman
Yeah, interesting list. Not sure Hail of Doom is best on the eagle guy, he needs fighty items IMHO and there's a case for making him BSB. A second lvl2 actually makes some sense here because Wood Elf magic is decent in a dragon list. But whatever, he really, really wants a scroll. The units look OK to me but there's a case for more big trees to overload enemy shooting. Eternal Flame is important for all-comers but not vs High Elves. Stone of the Crystal Mere is indeed a fantastic item, especially on the Dragonlord. It's served my Stag Lord well, I like it because if it does fail he has back-up Wards from being Wild Rider Kindred.

He pretty much got exactly the two spells he wanted (very lucky with only one Lvl2!) and used them to good effect. I was struck by the use of Wardancers against your Lions and as mentioned he had the Dragon and plenty of shooting. Helms, Lions etc are Ok against GG but enough shots will take them out. The Phoenix is another matter, could his Dragon have charged it? Into the PG looked a very bad move, I'd have flown around the flank if another target wasn't on. Quite what he was doing with the Treekin I'm not sure and as mentioned earlier, that eagle noble needs better protection. I feel your opponent missed BSB re-rolls in this game. I've not played High Elves with my WE since the book but despite some good moves from your opponent, I feel he could have done better here, he got outplayed.

Looks like the PG were the real stars here, sucking the big stuff in so the Phoenix could deal with it. Plus of course, he dealt with the Helms but the mounted characters were another matter...
Stormie

#29 Post by Stormie »

Ouff yes, bad choice with the Dragon, but sometimes a tempting unit can make us do crazy things. It was closer than I thought it would be, so well played to you both!

Good question on the two characters, instinctively I'd say they stay a unit but on reflection I think you played it right. Perhaps if the two characters had been side-by-side they may have stayed a unit, but with the final Silver Helm between them, it seems to make sense that they stop being a cohesive unit when he dies.
Sackree

Charge of the Loremaster/Neglected blog - Game 4 Prep

#30 Post by Sackree »

I have a game coming up this Sunday which I actually intend on reporting on for a change as I have let my reporting fall by the wayside lately which I apologize for.

My opponent is a Bret's player who has asked that we play at 2000 points so it is a bit lower than what I usually am used to, so I will have to trim some points from my usual list.
I haven't played him before so I don't know what he is likely to choose but I am taking a list with some fun elements such as a Lion Chariot.

+++ 2000 vs brets (1999pts) +++
+++ 2000pt High Elves 8th Ed Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

High Elves 8th Ed (Standard) Selections:

+ Lords + (320pts)

* Loremaster of Hoeth (320pts) 
        * Magic Items (90pts) 
            (AB) Book of Hoeth (55pts), (AB) Shield of the Myrwyrm (15pts), (BRB) Sword of Might (20pts)

+ Heroes + (207pts)

* Noble (207pts) 
        Battle Standard (25pts), Great Eagle (50pts), Great Weapon (4pts), Heavy Armor (4pts), Lion Cloak (4pts)
        * Magic Items (50pts) 
            (AB) Golden Crown of Atrazar (10pts), (AB) Star Lance (30pts), (BRB) Enchanted Shield (5pts), (BRB) Potion of Foolhardiness (5pts)

+ Core + (505pts)

* Archers (160pts) 
        15x Archer (150pts), Longbow, Musician (10pts)

Elven Steed, Light Armor, Musician (10pts)
        * 5x Ellyrian Reaver (95pts) 
            5x Spears and Bows (15pts)

Elven Steed, Light Armor, Musician (10pts)
        * 5x Ellyrian Reaver (95pts) 
            5x Spears and Bows (15pts)

* Silver Helms (135pts) 
        Elven Steed, Heavy Armor, Ithilmar Barding, Lance, Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
        * 5x Silver Helm (115pts) 
            5x Shield (10pts)

+ Special + (587pts)

* Lion Chariot of Chrace (120pts) 
        Great Weapon

* Sword Masters of Hoeth (166pts) 
        Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Musician (10pts), 12x Sword Master (156pts)

* White Lions of Chrace (301pts) 
        Great Weapon, Guardian (10pts), Heavy Armor, Lion Cloak, Musician (10pts), 17x White Lion (221pts)
        * Standard Bearer (60pts) 
            (AB) Banner of the World Dragon (50pts)

+ Rare + (380pts)

Light Armor

Light Armor

I think Brets a very good match up for the loremaster as all his spells will be more than useful against list options.
Lions and their chariot counter part should deal with the majority of armour he has, I have made sure to include enough archers and swordmasters in order to be able to disrupt ranks from a flank.
Without tailoring I have opted to take a eagle noble just to help out with the high armoured targets and trebs and help me out maneuver him lances.

I look forward to writing up this report, so will follow through with it when I can.

Kind regards, Tom