Tricksters Blade Tournament (DP bus) - Game 5 vs DoC FINALLY

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Avicii

Tricksters Blade Tournament (DP bus) - Game 5 vs DoC FINALLY

#1 Post by Avicii »

Hi all, this is where I will start posting up my 5 games at the Tournament I played at last weekend. They will all be in the same post as this one to keep discussion from going everywhere. i'll post them up as soon as I get them done followed by full tournament results. enjoy :D

Game One Vs. Trevor's WoC - LINK
Game Two Vs. Dan's Lizardmen - LINK
Game Three Vs. Ray's Dwarfs - LINK
Game Four Vs. Geordie's WoC - LINK
Game Five Vs. Nathan's DoC - LINK

Avicii's Asur (Tournament List):

Prince (General) mounted on Barded Elven Steed
Equipment: Dragon Amour
Magic Items: Giant Blade, Dawn stone & Enchanted Shield

Archmage Lv4 (Lore of Shadow) mounted on Elven Steed
Magic Items: Book of Hoeth & Talisman of Preservation

Noble BSB Mounted on Barded Elven Steed
Equipment: Dragon Armour
Magic Items: Charmed Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar & Sword of Might

5 x Ellryian Reavers with Spears only
5 x Ellryian Reavers with Bows & Spears
10 x Silver Helms with Shields
Musician, Standard Bearer & Champion
12 x Dragon Princes
Musician, Standard Bearer & Champion
Magic Banner: Banner of World Dragon
1 x Tiranoc Chariot
1 x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
1 x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
1 x Flamespyre Phoenix
1 x Frostheart Phoenix
TOTAL2500
Last edited by Avicii on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
Avicii

Re: Tricksters Blade Tournament - Game 1

#2 Post by Avicii »

Game One Vs. Trevor's Warriors

Scenario: Pitched battle

Enjoyable start to the tournament against a guy who I believe is heavily involved with the running of Kingaroy Gamers Club. He attended last years event however we never crossed paths, so this time around I drew his WoC straight up.

Trevor's List:

Archaon
BSB Crown of Command
Lv2 Death, Scroll

18 Warriors
5 Hounds
5 Hounds
22 Chosen
2 Chariots
2 Hell Cannons

I want to start by saying I made a crucial mistake in this game (probably the worst you will see by a HIgh Elf player) I am still kicking myself and by posting this battle report up I realise I will never live this down.

Spells:

Archaon - Spirit Leech and Doom and Darkness
Lv2 - Purple Sun and Fate

AM - Miasma, Enfeebling, Wither and Mind Razor

Deployment

My opponent had very little drops and began by deploying few units to my right flank near the buildings. I new there was only one way for him to go and that was back to the centre so I used the to my advantage and gave myself more time by deploying just left of centre. Chosen received +1 toughness.

WoC Turn One

Movement: everything full steam ahead.

Magic: (2 v 1) he casts spirit leech on the chariot but luckily I out roll him.

Shooting: both hell cannons aim for silver helms killing 4 total, and panic is passed.

Asur Turn One

Movement: I begin my advance around the left flank, sending some reavers behind enemy line s.

Magic: (7 v 4) first cast of 2D for movement Miasma on his bunker goes IF (without BoH re-roll) I loose 2 wizards levels and reduce his movement to 1.

Shooting: I kill a couple of hounds with reavers and a couple of wounds on the warrior unit.

WoC Turn Two

Movement: everything full ahead again, chosen edging forward an inch.

Magic: (3 v 1) he again casts spirit leech on the chariot and I think he may have caused a wound.

Shooting: both cannons at the silver helms leaving two left.

Asur Turn Two

Movement: I declare a charge on the eastern hounds with silver helms and western hounds with reavers, plan being to overrun and also act as redirections. The frost Phoenix charges the western cannon. The Bus , chariot and flame Phoenix set up to take up chargers next turn.

Magic: (4 v 3) he dispels my attempt at miasma.

Shooting: I manage a wound on the western chariot.

Combat: both Phoenix and cannon do a wound, I win combat by 1. Silver Helms kill hounds and reavers break theirs over running perfectly into position.

WoC Turn Three

Movement: Chosen charge the Helms and chariot charges the reavers. Warriors move into the build while eastern chariot advances towards my lines.

Magic: nothing significant happens this phase from memory.

Shooting: cannon aims for bolt thrower but scatters away.

Combat: reavers and helms wiped out, and chosen overrun. Stand off with the Phoenix and I don't do any wounds

Asur Turn Three

The rise and fall all comes in my one turn here, finally spent the time to set up good to deployment and work towards a win but one simple mind blank really proves costly.

Movement: I throw everything at the Chosen bunker, and move the reavers to fire at the hounds. As I roll for winds I say to my opponent great I forgot to redirect your chariot with my reavers (I used extremely disappointed with myself for this slip up) but I understand that it was a tournament environment and things become less lenient but I could only blame myself.
I stood positive and thought that this could still work out okay for me and I new the Bus would still be able to hold on. However over the next two turns my mistake only amplified at this point.

Winds: (8 v 6) I cast mindrazor with IF and suck my AM into the void.
4++ ward for attuned to magic.

Shooting: I hope desperately to kill the chariot but no luck. Reavers kill the hounds....totally worth it.

Combat: Archaon challenges and I accept with my unit champion. Archaon unleashes the daemon but I manage to save 6 wards with my champ and he lives. I manage to just about wipe his whole unit out and and he kills a chariot and does 2 wounds to flamer. Passes his stubborn LD. Stand off with the Phoenix and cannon.

WoC Turn Four

Movement: chariot charges the flank of the Bus and western chariot charges the Bolt Thrower.

Magic: (6 v 3) he casts doom and darkness with IF on the DPs, not what I needed.

Shooting: misses on the far Bolt again.

Combat: Rolls 7 for impact hits and wounds with all 7 annnnd just when it couldn't get worse I fail all 4+ armour (no word of a lie) and manage to save 2 wards. The prince kills the chariot, my champ manages to survive the wrath of Archaon again( he does two wounds to himself) and the flame Phoenix gets killed without a chance to kill the unit (he only manage three wounds and I didn't save one 4++). I loose combat by 1 and break on LD6 rolling 3 2's for my flee and dying. I roll shocking again with the Frost Phoenix and am stuck with the hell cannon for another turn.

I luckily roll a 6 for the fire reborn and he comes back with 3 wounds

Asur Turn Four

All I can really do at this point is try to get some points on offer.

Movement: flame Phoenix charges the chosen.

Magic: only roll to see what attune gets me which is +1 str

Combat: Flame Phoenix losses two wounds and can't get the points for the Chosen, I loose combat and break but I manage to get away. Frosty still can't kill the Hell Cannon.

WoC Turn Five

Movement: Chosen charge the flame Phoenix pushing him further away. Chariot re-enters in the back field.

Magic: I can't remember the winds roll but he manages to spirit leech the Flamespyre's last wound.

Shooting: Hell cannon misfires but survives.

Combat: stand off again...poor Frosty.

Phoenix reborn I roll flame kindled

Asur Turn Five

Everything moves to basically hide

Magic: I roll -1 str for attuned to magic.

Shooting: Bolt thrower manages two wounds on the chariot.

Combat: no good for frosty again, I think the Hell Cannon was left on one wound for a couple of turns.

Phoenix reborn rolls flame kindled.

WoC Turn Six

Moved everything towards my bolt thrower.

No other real damage was done.

Combat: Frosty finally Kills the Hell cannon

We basically end the game here and I just roll two turns of Phoenix reborn to try and get the points back which I do.

It was utter disaster for the Asur :cry: , what should have probably been a win turned into an 18-2 lose. It is obviously clear where my mistakes came and it cost me dearly. I would like to think that I still got unlucky in areas where the Bus should have still held on but it just didn't work that way.

my next Match up after this is Lizard men, the only way from here is up....right?
Last edited by Avicii on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
Jimmy
Centurion

#3 Post by Jimmy »

:(

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the next.

Everything was set up so well for you...
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
First Strike

#4 Post by First Strike »

Avicii, "submarining his way to victory" :wink:
Avicii

#5 Post by Avicii »

Hey again guys,

Jimmy - that's what made my mistake even more painful! I'll have the next rep up in a couple of days but for now over to your blog to see how you went at BIG :D

Strike - I sunk a long way to the bottom which made the journey back to the top a bit more stressful. I was just lucky my match ups weren't as tough as yours.
solith

#6 Post by solith »

Despite the bad luck and unfortunate result, this was a fun report to read. I hope to see more. :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
First Strike

#7 Post by First Strike »

Yer, out of my opps 4 of them finished with more battle points them me, but I would not have liked to play your last game
Brewmaster_D

#8 Post by Brewmaster_D »

Ouch, tough break man. Still, you need to look at the positives as well as the negatives. The charge you set up on the chosen was a thing of beauty, and you should be proud of yourself for setting it up.

I find in a tournament setting it becomes very difficult to remember the little things you'd remember in a casual game. Might be the time limit, or the atmosphere, but I just find myself smacking myself on my head a lot.

One thing I find that helps is making a checklist of things to check in each phase before you advance to the next phase. An example of a movement phase checklist would be something like:

1. Announce charges - check for possible overruns and enemy countercharges
2. Normal moves - check line of sight for shooting and magic. Double check redirects
3. etc. etc.

I find the more I can leave to something like that, the less I have to rely on my already frazzled tournament day brain.

Looking forward to the rest of your matches!

D
[i]There is nothing do fear but fear itself... well, that and Toughness tests. [/i]

Check out my Army Blog for tactics, battle reports and general ramblings: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=35454]Brewmaster D's Coven of Light Army List Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=35478]The Art of Deployment[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=35380]Writing Army Lists[/url]
Avicii

#9 Post by Avicii »

Hey all thanks for the feedback.

Solith - I'm glad you enjoyed my write up, next game won't be far off.

Strike - are you still planning on getting your battle reports up?

D - glad to hear from you on this one. I tried not to use to many excuses for my mistake on this one it was just down to pure lack of concentration in that turn and believe me when I say it wasn't the first time this tournament.
The check list is something I always try to go over as well, similar to a game of chess I try to run all possibilities through my head but of corse with warhammer the dice will always play a part which I would like to think despite my mistake the dice still took part of the game away from me. I also feel that redirecting is such and important part of the survivability of a high elf army, flank and rear chargers just hurt too much!
Keep your eyes out for the next game :D

Avicii
First Strike

#10 Post by First Strike »

The only one I could do from this tournament would be the first one, and since it only made it to turn 3 and the only thing I killed was a rat dart, and he killed my bsb and my white lions by that time, I see little value in posting it, had the game continued then that would have been ok but I spent to much time recording and it slowed the game down. (costing me a win) So I stoped recording. Will get things sorted for Impact Point (Gladstone Tournament) in a months time and get some reports done up for that one.
Avicii

#11 Post by Avicii »

I always find just taking photos at the end of every turn helps me remember how the game played out. Looking forward to seeing some report from you in the future :D
Avicii

#12 Post by Avicii »

Game Two Vs. Dan’s Lizardmen

Scenario: Battle For The Pass

Mystical Monument: I forgot to mention last game that each table had a Monument in the middle of it which change properties (last game I think was +1 to channelling within 6”). This Game it was +1 to wound any unit within 6” of the monument.

Okay so I stood at my table for a couple of minutes with no opponent until Dan finally showed up with models flying everywhere. I’ll start by saying I was going to be Dan’s Third game of warhammer fantasy ever!!! I don’t mean to bag out on Dan over the internet but I knew this was going to be a long match. He spent the good part of an hour re-traying his units, looking for his tape measure, print outs of his army book etc, etc. He was using the 7th edition army book and this might be quit a boring read therefore I do apologies in advance.

Dan's List

Slann Mage Priest (Shadow Magic), Sun Standard of Chotec, Bane Head
Three Disciplines – The Focuse Rumination, The Becalming Cogiation and Focus of Mystrey
Skink Priest Lv 2
Skink Chief

36 Saurus Warriors FC
24 Skinks + 2 Kroxigor
25 Skinks + Kroxigor
6 Jungle Swarms
19 Skink Skirmishers + Brave
20 Temple Guard FC
2 Salamander Hunting Pack

Spells:

Archmage – Miasma, Enfeeble, Withering and Pit

Deployment

Setting up of my opponents units overlapped into deployment so I tried to push him a long a bit. I was dropping most of my army quicker than his while explaining rules to him therefore something’s became a bit messy.

Asur Turn One

Movement: I advance Fairly well Full ahead, trying to re place some poor deployment.

Magic: (10 v 6) Finally some good power dice, so I decide to start with 4D on boost wither…but miscast and I lose 3 wizard levels (Miasma is the spell I keep).
4++ for Attuned to Magic

Shooting: is much more successful than magic with me killing the Skink Priest.

Lizards Turn One

Movment: all units push forward.

Magic (7 v 5): I dispel his attempt of souldblight on the DPs and he uses his remaining dice to dispel Wither

Shooting: nothing was in range.

Asur Turn Two

Movement: DPs charge Saurus, Reavers move to block eastern Skinks and flame Phoenix moves of western leaving wake of fire killing more than enough.

Magic: I don’t bother magic for the remainder of the game as it will only harm me more.

Shooting: Does a wound on a salamander and kills a crew member.

Combat: I manage about 8 wounds and he plucks one DP. Saurus hold on steadfast LD. DPs reform for more frontage.

Lizards Turn Two

Movement: Surprisingly nothing charges he just Moves eastern Skinks back and Jungle Swarms Forward. Slanns Temple Guard move Back slightly as do Western Skink unit. The Skirmishes kind of squeeze there way in-between the Skinks cohort and Saurus warriors .

Magic (7 v 4): I could be in for some trouble here but luckily for me (unlucky for my opponent) he fails to cast bubble soulblight for his first spell.
Now here my opponent begins to really get angry throwing his hat on the ground saying he just wants to forfeit. I said to him you can if you want but a forfeit is 20-0. He then said it’s up to me whether we play on or he just forfeits, in which I explain that it isn’t my choice and tried to calm him down. This goes back and forth for a bit until I manage to convince him to play on because the game wasn't even close to over yet ( by this point we had bugger all time left) and I doubted that he will lose badly if even at all.

Shooting: after putting everything on Flame Phoenix he manages 2 wounds. he also kills one reaver with his eastern javelins. My opponent was then under the assumption that the salamanders didn’t have to add artillery to there shot so he tries to place it on the Reavers. after explanation by the TO (which was nearly every ruling, he didn’t believe me about anything) the shot manages to land in-between everything of mine doing no damage as does the second one.

Combat: bit of a pillow fight, with my prince killing a couple.

Asur Turn Three

Movement: Frosty charges in to support DPs, Reavers Charge Cohort to make room for Silver Helms to charge the salamander. Don’t ask me why but I decide to charge the chariot in the jungle swarm. Flame Phoenix Moves over Temple Guard killing 4. I move Reavers to block Temple Guard because I could see a flank charge for when DPs over run into skinks.

+1 In for Attuned to Magic

Shooting: I shoot the Bolts at the TG killing 3 and exposing the Slann to the Back.

Combat: DPs and Frost do enough damage to Break and Catch Saurus with DPs just over running into Skinks and Frosty reforming. Silvers Helms kill Salamander and over run Into second. Reavers manage to only lose 1 and doing 3 in return, Cohort holds. Chariot kills a swarm but dies for it’s trouble.

Lizards Turn Three

Movement: doesn’t charge the TG even though there was still a chance of over running into DPs.

Magic (4 v 2): Manages to cast Soulblight onto DPs.

Combat: DPs kill all but the Character and one Skink in the skirmishes and he holds on with snake eyes. Silver Helms kill second Salamander and over Run into Jungle Swarms. My Reavers manage to old up again.

Asur Turn Four

TO calls last mins and I was going to stop their because my opponent would be robbed a turn, but he showed one noble acted and insisted we finish this turn.

Movement: I hope to get some more points by Charging in both Phoenix’s into TG, and reavers into the swarm to help out Silver Helms.

+1 Strength for Attuned to Magic

Straight to combat: DPs finish off the two skink characters. Slann gets left on 1 wound and I can’t manage much else.

After a fairly slow game the Asur managed a win 15 – 5 (not that it really felt like a victory).
MVP goes to the Flame Phoenix for holding up a flank and nearly killing off the Slann.

After match Thoughts
It was a game that didn’t really test my skills so I don’t really know how to analyse my performance of this match. Poor decisions in deployment and movement came about from the lack of time we started the match with and I knew I needed a good win to start working my way back up the ladder. Again I didn’t mean to make this a boring report and I apologies to Dan for any negativity towards him through this BR, but a tournament is probably not a good place to start learning Warhammer. I did keep the game rolling for him and tried to explain as much as I could through the turns but it did start to waste a lot of time.
let me know what you think anyway and enjoy the read (as much as you can..) :D

Avicii
Avicii

Re: Tricksters Blade Tournament (DP bus) - Game 2 vs Lizards

#13 Post by Avicii »

Game Three Vs. Ray’s Dwarfs

Senariorio: Blood and Glory, with the first player to break their opponent receiving +2 battle points.

Mystical Monument: Magical Circle (played no part in this game)

Firstly I will try to make my type up a bit more interesting and story like. I ended up on the same table as my first game only from the other side of the table. I hope the grass really is greener on the otherside.
Ray’s Game prior to ours he managed to drop a daemon prince turn 1 so I was instantly a bit worried. Ray had what strongly resembled a 7th edition list and hats off to him for basically guessing his range for his cannons. I only managed one practice game against dwarves before the tournament and it just about took all confidence from me, so I was super worried that this game wouldn’t end well for me. I gave Ray best sports because he was very strong with the rules and just an all-round good person to play.

Ray’s List:

Dwarf Lord Great Weapon (Kragg The Grim, Fury, Snorri Spanglehelm), Gromril Armour (Master Rune of Gromril)
Runelord Master Rune of Balance, Shield, Anvil of Doom
Thane, Battle Standard (Master Rune of Stormi Redbeard

33 x Longbeards, Command, Shields, Rune of Courage
10 x Thunderers
10 x Thunderers
10 x Quarrellers
15 x Warriors, Great Weapons, command
20 x Ironbreakers, Command, Rune of Battle
2 x Cannon, one with rune of Fire
Bolt Thrower engineer
Organ Gun

Spells for Archmage – Miasma, Steed, Wither and Pit

Deployment

So for probably half my deployment I forgot that I could deploy within 8” of the centre of the table however I did want to stay out of 24” of his organ gun and thunders’ so it worked out okay for me. My opponent deployed very central which luckily for me opened up both flanks. I decided to pack mostly the western flank, reason being he had less shooting and I could give him a lot of targets to choose.

Dwarf Turn One

Movement: slight shuffles with some units.

Shooting: 1 DP goes down to both cannons (my opponent rushed into his shot with the flame cannon before I could warn him) the far eastern Reavers take 2 wounds from the Anvil and everything else is basically out of range.

Asur Turn One

Movement: Mostly all units push full speed ahead.

Magic (6 v 7): I straight away think of Pit, even though I know 6D instant kill spells is no real tactical move but I assumed my opponent would have some spell eaters and scrolls. So I throw 6D at pit on his Longbeards (Anvil was out of range) Cast with IF, killing more than half the unit. I lose 3 DPs from Detonation.
+1 Str for attuned to magic.

Shooting: Kills a couple of thunderers from each unit.

Dwarf Turn Two

Movement: Surprisingly Breakers, Longbeards and warriors move full ahead. I can only think that my opponent advanced for ether the Anvil movement or to try and keep me from getting to close to the Anvil.

Shooting: Cannons open fire on the chariot and watch him explode. Both Western Reavers go down to organ gun and thunderers. Anvil fails ancient power.

Asur Turn Two

Movement: far unit of Reaver s charge the bolt thrower while the other unit goes for a cannon. DPs lower the lances and the Prince leads them for the Longbeards, encouraging the Helms and Frosty to go for the Ironbreakers (ignore the photo the Frost phoenix did make combat he just couldn’t fit with everything else). Flamer being the Last mobile unit follows suit and flies into the organ gun.

Magic: I don’t bother to cast anymore magic for the game because I have done too much damage to myself throughout the tournament (at this point I still thought my opponent had a spelleater up his sleeve).
+1 In for attuned to magic.

Shooting: Does a couple more wounds on each thunderer unit.

Combat: The prince leads by example slaying the enemy BSB, and his unit follows killing some number of Longbeards. The Longbeards break and are run down by the Asur and their steeds. The young Helms with great backing of Frosty put up a good fight but the stubborn Dwarves won’t flee. Flame phoenix only manages to kill one crew as does western Reavers on the cannon. Far Reavers strike some luck and along with their mighty steeds and break the bolt thrower crew over running into the cannon.

Dwarf Turn Three

Now I have to mention that in this turn I didn’t know that if another unit comes into contact with my models in combat with a warmachine it takes the warmachine out of combat. I did ask my opponent during the combat phase what happens with combat on the warmachines and he said he believes it happens as normal. It wasn’t until the end of the game when someone brought this ruling up and with much apology to my opponent he seemed okay with the hiccup. I still feel as though maybe the win was deserved because of this, but it was the end of a long day and if my opponent wanted to take up further action I wouldn’t have argued the point at all.

Movement: Thunderers and crossbows charge in to save the cannon, as the thunderers to the west charge the flank of the Phoenix. Warriors reform to face the west.

Shooting: Not too sure on what Anvil did this turn.

Combat: Frosty and Helms do enough damage to crush the spirit of the Breakers causing them to flee. The helms chase them down while Frost shaped up for his next target. This is where the mess happens, Flame kills remain crew of the Organ Gunn and stomps 4 thunderers to their death, the break and the flame runs them down. The eastern Reavers manage no damage output but with no real will from his thunderers and Quarrellers they only manage 1 wound on the Reavers and the Reavers pass the LD5 break test!!

Asur Turn Three

Movement: DPs charge the Anvil, Frosty charges the Warriors and the Reavers go for a flank on the Quarrellers. Helms and Flame rush to back up the east.

Magic: again +1str for attuned to magic

Combat: Prince and BSB wipe out the Anvil to really rub salt into the wounds. Reavers manage to kill the cannon (feel horrible now that I look back) and get slain for their troubles. Quarrellers reform into the face of the fellow Reavers. Frosty does a bit of damage but looks like it will take him some more time to finish the unit.

Dwarf Turn Four

Shooting: Kills some DPs causing a panic, let us just say I was lucky to have a re-roll.

Combat: Frosty Completely wipes out the Warriors unit.

Asur Turn Four

Game finishes in this turn wiping my opponent completely out..

It was a win for the Asur 20+2 – 0

After Game analysis

I will mention again that the win doesn’t really feel deserved now I look back on the game due to a few rules errors. At the time I honestly didn’t realise I was doing the wrong thing and nor did my opponent. I am curious to know if anyone else has had problems like this in a tournament but didn’t realise until later on?
I do however feel that other than the hiccup I played a good game and had a good set up. The overwhelming western flank drew my opponent into some bad decisions. After the quick forward movement I had enough combat power to take out the bulk of his army in only two rounds of combat. Yes I was lucky with pit of Shades and the fact his Anvil failed two turns in a row but I will take it.
Sackree

Re: Tricksters Blade Tournament (DP bus) - Game 3 vs Dwarfs #NEW

#14 Post by Sackree »

Very well played. Your opponents biggest mistake was not castling and you capitalized on this perfectly by getting into his flanks. I've been finding that with the new improved speed of our army, Dwarves are becoming less of a threat as we are in combat long before their shooting has it's intended affect.

As for the rules error, I didn't know that rule, seems like an obscure one so no problems if neither of you picked up on it within the game. It is your opponents responsibility to know these things as well, so he would have no right to be annoyed at you afterwards, not that he was thankfully =] It also didn't matter that much, looking at the pictures his only possible target the next turn that would net him any notable points was your flame phoenix, which can come back to life anyway. Though I can not even tell if he had line of sight because of his soldiers infront of the cannon so you will have to let me know about that one.

Once again well done, looking forward to the next 2 reports.

PS: Kudos on remembering to take pictures most game turns. I always intend to, remember for the first turn and then forget.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
First Strike

#15 Post by First Strike »

As said above it is both players job to know the rules, not just yours. Once you have both handed in the results (at this tournament both players had to fill in their own results sheet) then the result stands. If he had of looked the rule up in the next turn then you could have palyed around this but trying to take the game back to that point, after the game, would have been just crazy. You both agreed on how you were playing it and play it that way. If the warmacine crew had of killed your unit, I belive you would have let that result stand as well.
Like most, my warmachines dont last past the first contact so the rule has never come up for me either, but a dwarf with tougher warmachines should have had it happen before, so there was more chance of him knowing the rule then you.
I cannot see it makeing that big of a difference in the game. Just learn from it and be aware of it from now on.
Stormie

#16 Post by Stormie »

Yeah, good game, and don't worry about the slight error with the warmachine, by the looks of things at worst it might have just delayed the ending by a turn, I don't think it would have affected the actual result in the slightest. Plus it shows a lot of class to actually worry about the effects of a rules flub- all too often I see people post battle reports, get something absolutely crucial wrong and then hand-wave it away as not mattering too much (e.g. at a big tournament here recently, a player had an extra unit of Furies in his Daemon army, and while it was a genuine mistake that he admitted without being caught out, and gave up his 3rd place trophy with no fuss, I didn't like that he went on to say that the unit didn't do much, and listed things like them dying first turn as evidence for that, when in fact if they've died first turn, that means the enemy has expended a fair bit effort to kill them, which might otherwise have been used to damage other units).
Avicii

#17 Post by Avicii »

Hey guys thanks very much for the feed back and for the confident backing on the rule mistakes.

Sackree - I still find that if dwarfs can have a couple of good round of shooting it will thin the Asuryan lines too much to be able to combat their lines. However you are very right that high elves new book gives us a lot of speed mainly in our core.
I believe my opponent deployed the way he did because of the 9" deployment in from each edge which then made him feel as though he should try to protect both flanks. He also didn't bring as much artillery as normal competitive dwarf lists and lets not forget he had no hammer dart :evil:
You're right that the slight rule error probably would have only put the victory off. I believe I was 500 points over the 20 - 0 so even if he managed to drop a Phoenix it probably wouldn't have brought any points back.

I mainly try to take pictures to remind me of how each turn ended. As you can tell the pictures are of the end of the turn so that I can remember where units ended up or how many casualties occurred. I then found that adding the pictures to the BR allow the reader to almost feel like they were there watching that match. Obviously some games I still get hung up in thought so I forget to take pictures.

Strike - you make some very good points about the ruling mistake we had which makes me feel better about the victory. My opponent was very gracious in defeat and really didn't show much fuss at all.

Stormie - I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I have also come across some guys whom even try purposely to let rules slip and if their opponents don't pick up on it then it is their own fault. But as said it is part of the competitive game to both no the rules otherwise people will try to catch you out. I always try to get rules right otherwise after the game it may not truly feel like a victory :cry:

Avicii
First Strike

#18 Post by First Strike »

Avicii wrote: I have also come across some guys whom even try purposely to let rules slip and if their opponents don't pick up on it then it is their own fault. But as said it is part of the competitive game to both no the rules otherwise people will try to catch you out. I always try to get rules right otherwise after the game it may not truly feel like a victory :cry:

Avicii
Forgeting a rule is human, doing it on purpose is called cheating. [-X
I dont think you were cheating as this is not a rule most players would come across in the game. War machines dont normaly last past one round of combat.
Jimmy
Centurion

#19 Post by Jimmy »

Nice one!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Avicii

#20 Post by Avicii »

Game four Vs. Geordie's Warriors of Chaos

I apologize if I have made some errors when typing up this BR as it was a bit rushed :(

Scenario: The Watchtower, only no one started in the tower leaving both armies to run for it and take it. Unfortunately I was out of the running for this one and I was first falsely lead to believe the tower was worth and extra 500vps for the army which holds it at the end of the game. This affected my deployment as I thought I would have to at least try to defend the tower, which didn't matter in the end because the tower only gave +2 Vps to the holder.

Mystical monument: Alter of Khaine (all units within 6" gain frenzy).

I was a bit worse for wear on the second day as the touring guys decided to enjoy a night out on the town which made me forget to take a few photos again. Geordie is running 3rd before this game and I think I am sitting around 6th (to my surprise) so a win here would see a good position on the table for the final round. I noticed my opponent had no magic defence so I had to play it smart with that phase and hopefully I could get some impact out of it.

Geordie's List

chaos lord, Mark of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation, Flaming Breath, Gold Sigil Sword, Shield

Chaos Lord , Mark of Nurgle, Sword of bloodshed, Glittering Scales, Charmed Shield

Exalted hero, bsb, halberd, Armour of destiny, scaled skin, Tzeentch, Daemonic Mount, Barding

5x Warhounds
5x Warhounds
5x Warhounds
25x warriors, shields, tzeentch FC, blastard standard
24x warriors, Halberds, Nurgle ,FC, banner of Swiftness
Gorebeast Chariot
hell cannon
hell cannon

Spells

Archmage - Miasma, Enfeebling, Pit and Mindrazor

Deployment

As I mentioned earlier my deployment was influenced to defend the Tower as I thought 500vps in my opponents favour would hurt my chances of moving up the table (500 Vps wasn't the case). My opponent stays very central except for a Gorebeast wide on the eastern flank. Reavers vanguard straight forward ready to re direct his blocks away from the tower.
Geordie grabs first turn which won't help my best efforts.

WoC turn One

Movement: basically all full steam ahead. He sort of place his warriors in a weird position to try and gain control of the tower.

Shooting: one cannon scatters and the other manages 1 wound on Frosty.

Asur turn one

Movement: flame Phoenix charge the far hounds whom opt to flee not moving to far, however flame Phoenix fails to chase. Chariot charges the hounds near the tower which hold. DPs move to post a threat around the tower. Middle Reavers move behind the tower to post pone the Warriors. My Western flank sweep around to box In the BSB bunker.

Magic: (6 v 3) I get miasma and enfeebling both on the Gorebeast reducing both by 3.
+1 In for attuned to magic.

Shooting: I clear all but one dog on the western flank. I get lucky with one bolt thrower killing 4 warriors (he rolled 1 for blaster standard).

Combat: chariot clears dogs with impact hits alone. The chariot chooses just to reform.

WoC Turn Two

Movement: Hell Cannon fails caged furry and goes a massive 16" into my Central Reavers. Nothing else charges. His warriors move to aim for the tower more. BSB breaks from his unit and moves full ahead to the Helms. Gorebeast stumbles forward 3" and eastern dogs continue to flee.

Magic: Geordie uses this to dispel Enfeebling.

Shooting: hell cannon scatters off a bolt thrower.

Asur Turn Two

EDIT: I really fluffed my notes in these next couple of turns and I forgot to take photos but I will try recreate the same outcome of the game as best I can.

Movement: the moment of truth. DPs charge the Hell Cannon, chariot into the Warriors (counting on and over run). Frosty and the Helms go into the BSB. Flame Phoenix flies over the Gorebeast but does no damage.

Magic: (8 v 5) I start by using 3D to enfeeble his warriors but he dispels with his 5. I then use my reminding 5D on Mindrazor which I cast successfully.
+1 str for attuned to magic.

Shooting: I manage 1 wound on the Gorebeast. I kill what

Combat: DPs easily slay the great beast and manage to overrun into the Warriors. Geordie's issues a challenge with his champion and my champion accepts doing the full 3 wounds. I manage 1 wound on his Lord (needed 6's to hit) and I kill a few from the unit. His lord splits his attack and manages 1 wound on my BSB and that was about it. I get very lucky as he breaks from combat and I run the unit down. Major threat averted.
Between the Frost Phoenix and the Helms they manage 2 wounds on the BSB. The BSB directs his attacks at Frosty managing 1 wound. I win combat by 6 and the BSB dies failing his LD reroll. Both reform to face the troops coming from the north.

WoC turn three

Movement: he charges his other lord out of the unit and into Frosty while the lord's unit swing back to face the over running DPs.

Shooting: the Hell Cannon hits the Helms causing them to flee!

Combat: Frosty does 1 wound and takes 1 in return. I fail my LD8 but luckily the Chaos lord was to slow to catch the Frost.

Asur Turn Three

Movement: DPs keep their lances lowered and continue the charge onto the next unit of Warriors. Helms don't rally and flee off the board Frosty is more courageous and turns for round 2 against The Lord.

Magic: not 100% on what I rolled on winds but I know I kill the second Hell Cannon with Pit of shades.

Shooting: I try to take down The Lord but no luck.

Combat. DPs convincingly run through the second lot of Warriors but lose a few for their troubles.

WoC Turn Four

The Lord manages to kill the Frost Phoenix and this is as far as we get before time is called

Another solid win for Avicii's Asur 18 - 2. This now means I am now in second place and I will be playing for the chance to take out 1st prize in the next round.

This was an enjoyable game and a confident win for me over the WoC. It felt good to hold my opponent off from getting the tower. All in all I feel I played a strong match and couldn't be happier that I managed to work my way back up the ranks.

Stay tuned for the big final game!
Last edited by Avicii on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormie

Re: Tricksters Blade Tournament (DP bus) - Game 4 vs WoC #NEW

#21 Post by Stormie »

Great fight against an interesting army. Looks like you engineered the right match-ups well enough! Infantry ftl...

I was a bit unsure about that big early fight with the Hellcannon and Chariot and overrunning bus... it looks like the Chariot charged the Warriors while the cavalry charged the Hellcannon, wiped it out and overran into the Warriors already fighting the Chariot. Then you fought another round of combat, but the skull on the chariot implies it was killed in the fight... if this is the case, then there was nothing left to pursue the broken warriors! Or am I getting something wrong..?
Avicii

#22 Post by Avicii »

Hey stormie you are completely right with that turn. My notes were really shadey with those couple of turns and I was silly and forgot to take a photo. I just tried to fill in the gapes and I don't remember my DPs making it that far across the board. I'll give it a sneaky edit in a second because even in my notes I didn't put that my chariot died..

Avicii
Avicii

#23 Post by Avicii »

Game Five Vs. Daemons of Chaos

Firstly sorry for the long delay on my finally game for this tournament. I have just recently moved and bought a new puppy so between training him, moving and working I haven't even played a game or done any painting since my last BR.

Also a Heads up that this game is a bit of a white wash and probably won't be much good reading. Probably partly the reason it has taken me so long to get this BR up but I thought i would get this done to complete the tournament ad continue onto new adventures. Now continuing on...

Scenario: Battle line

Mystical Monument: Idol of Gork

Amazingly since my first match lose I had found myself in second place and now playing for the win. This is the first time I have versed the new daemons book as no one at my local club has a daemon army. I had done some reading on them especially fate weaver as someone had mentioned that he may be making an appearance. Nathan had not lost a game all tournament and the match just before me was a draw so I new this would be very tough on me.
I new if I could manage to kill Fate early there would be nothing that would be able to stop my Cav bus. The rest of his army wasn't too alarming except maybe the cannons for Frosty.

Nathan's list

Kairos Fateweaver
Blue Scribes
Herald of Tzeentch BSB

10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
10 Pink Horrors
5 Beasts of Nurgle
5 Chaos furies
5 Chaos Furies
5Plague Drones of Nurgle
Skull Cannon
Skull Cannon

Spells

Fate - Life with one head and Shadow with the other.
Pink Furies - got Final Transmutation and the eastern flank got a magic missle of some sort (these were the only 2 that mattered).
Archmage - Miasma, Withering, Pit and Mindrazor.

Deployment

I really was unsure with deployment at the start of the game so I just tried to keep everything central which worked at pushing fate to the far left flank. Nathan naturally starts with spreading the Furies across the field. Then keeping his cannons and beasts to challenge the canter of the battlefield.

I managed to grab first turn luckily so I could get my Cav bus out of range of dwellers.

Asur Turn One

Movement: I move to keep my bus within the 6" of the idol, this helped with keeping the drones from making any full advance to the eastern flank. I measured with my bus to make sure I was out of the distance of dwellers at full range and full movement (obviously my measurements proved wrong). I also put frosty deep in the western flank to prevent Fate from trying to sneak into the back field early.

Magic: (5 v 3) I manage a boosted Miasma on the drones reducing everything by 2. No other spells were successful.

Shooting: I put 2 wounds on the left Cannon

Daemons Turn One

Movement: Is very conservative besides Fate making his way to centre field.

Magic: (12 v 6) basically the end to what was a very enjoyable tournament for me. Nathan starts with 6D on final Trans on the bus which I thought I had good chances of stopping with 6 dice. So I give it a go and fail horribly! He then uses 5D on dwellers which goes off (only just in range). So all that remained of my cav bus was the BSB and the champion. The final dice he uses on the magic missile which kills my Reavers.

Shooting: Cannons both aim for frosty and luckily he only takes 1 wound.

Asur Turn Two

With most hope lost I thought I would try to chase some points then try to save my own.

Movement: BSB and champ charge the furies while Flame P charges the Scribes. The chariot and Reavers take a chance on the furies and a hopeful over run to put the Cannons out of business for a turn. SHs and Frosty line up for some turn three charges.

Magic (roll to see what Attune to magic brings): +1 attack.

Shooting: I have a crack at Fate but no luck.

Combat: BSB kills off the furies, Phoenix gets unlucky and only manages 1wound receiving 1in return. Chariot and kill all but 1 Fury and 1 reaver falls. With another strike of bad luck the fury doesn't crumble.

Daemons Turn Two

Movement: Bring in support! Drones take the flank of my Flame Phoenix, while the Beasts clear out the reavers and a single Flame cannon evens the odds for the lone Fury.

Magic: Nathan throws out Another dwellers which drops half my SHs.

Shooting: brings no damage.

Edit: In this turn the drones killed my flame phoenix and he returned with 4 wounds but I did a horrible job of depicting it.
Combat: the daemons take no prisoners and wipe out everything In their path.

To my opponents displeasure my Flame Phoenix returns with 4 wounds and sets his sights on Fate

Asur turn Three

In a desperate attempt to get some points from this game my flame Phoenix goes in for the kill he wins combat by 2 but unfortunately Fate does not crumble back to the Chaos world.

really after this we just punch out a few more turns even though the 20 - 0 was inevitable :(

Daemons Turn Three

Asur Turn Four

Daemons Turn Four

Outcome: 20-0 to the Deamons

My opponent clearly out played me and his first turn really couldn't have gone any better. I don't know what to take out of this match but it hurt that a lose like this saw me drop to 6th and way out of the placings.

All in all it was still a great tournament and still strong in my memory as I have not played a lot since then but I look towards trying to get some more games in soon. I was lucky at the end of the day to grab BestPainted army so some great prizes came home with me thanks to the Gladstone Store Prize support (owner is First Strike on this forum).

Final Placings

Army Photos for best painted

Hope you all enjoyed the reading about my tournament journey as much as I enjoyed playing. Keep an eye on my army blog as I will be working on my next list very soon.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Tricksters Blade Tournament (DP bus) - Game 5 vs DoC FINALLY

#24 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Mate, looks like you had a great event, until that last round, feck that first turn was brutal~
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Avicii

#25 Post by Avicii »

Yeah it was really good, and I have been missing my gaming massively! I just wanted to get the last battle report off my chest since the move so I can start on a new list. The lose was hugely brutal but these things happen.
Good luck at the Team Championship Ele, I was planning on coming to it with two friends but my move fell a couple of weeks before it and my new models are in no condition for a tournament as of yet. Good to see it is a full house now though and it looks like it will turn out to be an awesome event. Make Ulthuan proud!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#26 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Proud as in everyone will see how much fun I had while loosing?
Northern Knights always put on a fun event, and my team mates are all fun guys, I'll take pictures, I might even do summaries.
As it's a BYO licensed venue, by the end of it I might be too intoxicated for notes for proper bat reps, but there will be pics.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Avicii

#27 Post by Avicii »

I have faith in you Ele! I love how the Wood elf player in your team has your hardest list :mrgreen: . Beverages always make for a really good tournament, helps to make it more of a social event then too serious. I was very shadey on day two of this tournament but I won't put that down as he reason for having a shocker.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#28 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

He's rocking a flying circus, should a lot of fun, the DE player has monsters, so if we face cannons I get them ^_^'
Struthy

#29 Post by Struthy »

Wow that game 6 Daemons list is insane! Two skill cannons + Fateweaver and a Blue Scribes. Pretty much game over with one good roll of the Winds of Magic (as shown with your game). Overall a good result by you though :P
First Strike

#30 Post by First Strike »

Nathan is a realy good player, and the draw he had in the round before you was only because he was out drinking with his opp the night before and neither player could lift there heads from the pillow for the round 4 game.