1K Cavalry list

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Adunas

1K Cavalry list

#1 Post by Adunas »

A friend and I are planning an all cavalry list for a doubles tournament. He's playing Bretonnians and I'm playing High Elves.
He's taking:
2 units of 9 Knights of the Realm (BSB, Paladin etc)
3 Pegasus Knights
10 Peasant Bowman - Skirmish

Here's a few combinations I've drawn up for my 1K contribution

Magic - Will sit with Bowmen
(250 pts) 1x Loremaster with Golden Crown and Dragon Helm

OR
(250 pts) 2x Lvl 2 mage - Both life. One with Iron Curse Icon, the other with Dragon Bane Gem

--

Everything Else
A.
(95 pts) 5x Ellyrian Reavers - Bows and Spears
(227 pts) 9x Silver Helms - Shields, High Helm, Standard
(361 pts) 9x Dragon Princes - Drakemaster, Starlance, Standard, Banner of the World Dragon
(65 pts) 1x Great Eagle - Swiftsense, Shredding Talons

OR
B.
(250 pts) 10x Silver Helms - Shileds, High Helm, Standard
(361 pts) 9x Dragon Princes - Drakemaster, Starlance, Standard, Banner of the World Dragon
(70 pts) 1x Tiranoc Chariot
(65 pts) 1x Great Eagle - Swiftsense, Shredding Talons

We've have 1 practice battle with 1A which went very well. The Loremaster really gave us huge versatility in the magic phase and everything was in conbat by turn 2 like we planned. The fast cav and eagle were on the opposing side of the board in turn 1 - if he had any warmachines they would have been toast.

Discussing things afterwards the thought of running with 2 mages came up so we discussed that and came to the conclusion that 2x Life mages would give good odds of getting Regrowth which would be huge for an army with so few elite units. We would however lose the versatility the Loremaster gave us.
The other thing that came up was to throw a chariot in the mix; people seem to hate chariots so putting one in could provide suitable distraction from the main cavalry army.

Which combination, or alternative option would you suggest?
Kalaim

Re: 1K Cavalry list

#2 Post by Kalaim »

It may be worth noting that the mages have the option to be mounted while the LM does not. This may allow them to keep up with the rest of the army to use the defensive oriented spells that life has. Also earthblood will be use able as I'm assuming the LM would have no reason to give regen to the bownen.
Adunas

#3 Post by Adunas »

Kalaim wrote:It may be worth noting that the mages have the option to be mounted while the LM does not. This may allow them to keep up with the rest of the army to use the defensive oriented spells that life has. Also earthblood will be use able as I'm assuming the LM would have no reason to give regen to the bownen.
In list A the only way to get mounts for the mages would be to drop spears or bows on the Reavers. In list B I'm not sure there is anywhere I can draw the points from.

One of the reasons we gave the Bowmen skirmish was so that they can get in to a safe location up the field (and still shoot whilst getting there) to remain in range for buffing everything.
CrystalRainbow

#4 Post by CrystalRainbow »

Why not use a level 4 archmage? life is a lore that benefits a lot from having a high level wizard (particularly because of throne of vines) this archmage would also leave room in the points to be mounted and so can keep up with a unit, also with the brettonian lance formation and full command you can put the archmage safely in the middle of the unit, you can then cast from within that unit, potentially giving them earthblood bonus to make the unit more survivable. Just a thought.
Kalaim

#5 Post by Kalaim »

Well if each list has to be 1k pts, an archmage with any items or mount may be over the 25% of 1k.
CrystalRainbow

#6 Post by CrystalRainbow »

An archmage with an elven steed is just in the limit if i remember correctly, our mages are a lot cheaper than they used to be so it is possible now, but magic items would be limited thats all